Scottrade

Updated December 21, 2014
2.8

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • They do allow for a work/life balance that was much better than my previous employer (in 51 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing (in 23 reviews)

• Politics, no room for growth - you're either a broker or a branch manager unless you want to move to St (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

52 Week Low

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time

Pros

- TREAT -

1) GREAT COWORKERS & TEAM MEMBERS by my side
    2) DISCRETIONARY 401k match
    3) HSA seed money
    4) Monday through Friday 8-5
    5) Never work Saturdays
    6) NYSE holidays. (No banking holidays.)
    7) Free vision insurance

Cons

- TRICK -

1) Little to no room for career advancement.
    (But you're welcome to move to Saint Louis Missouri for a decreased quality of living adjustment.)

2) EXTREMELY low compensation with no opportunity for an increase of your base salary for performance. It's always only been this way from my experience, and nobody I know has ever received or heard of someone receiving a raise. Corporate culture also taboos such behavior. You can never ask for a pay raise! You will only receive less than 3% annual increase at best based on cost of labor adjustments. Your pay is based upon cost of labor in Saint Louis. (Hopefully the cost of labor goes up so we can get more than a $0.50 hour, or few dollar a day, raise each year.)

3) Branch incentive compensation for asset gathering:

Low compensation.

HORRIBLE policy, system and tracking technology! It can't be trusted, has too many errors, accidents, closed activities, requires constant baby sitting of "exceptions", and many more flaws. You spend a great deal of time on this alone.

When you do find something it can't be from someone you've served and developed a relationship with over your Scottrade "CAREER" prior to the switch to "sales & service" unless you "display all elements of GST$", write a CRM journal essay about it, deal with all the prior flaws and technical issues.

Associates never have time for "asset gathering" due to continuous client walk-ins, phones ring off the hook, continuous internal and client facing technical issues or every imaginable and unforseeable form. (Some days you and your entire branch will be left wondering is this real, why we are all dealing with this, if management is trying to get us to leave, why are we still here, if there is a hidden camera, and if you were violated if you happened to have become unconscious.)

If you can somehow make it through all that before the customer changes their mind and/or harasses you through the whole process because they haven't received their cash bonus, the Saint Louis back office operations has an opportunity to mess up your opportunity and/or finds a way to refuse business, and don't die before the four months it takes for you to be compensated. Otherwise you're good to go but most of your asset gathering compensation has eroded since you've exhausted all your resources and time playing their game.

4) DOESN'T INVEST IN TECHNOLOGY. (Repairs leaks in the dam above town with bubble gum and a band aid.) Too many employee programs and applications created (and growing) over 30+ years that all look different, slow, crash and don't communicate amongst each other well. Every day in the life of a branch employee is a combination of ongoing and new issues. Don't we deserve something that works after all these years?! Client facing technology is the same. Website outdated, slowness, crashing, Scottrade Bank balances don't work so they take offline as if clients won't notice. Confuses a client when then toolset options includes a cumbersome outdated website, mobile site, mobile application, Scottrader, legacy and new Scottrade Elite (until today). (After they decide how to access their investments the next option is self directed help from brokers who can't really help them in a clear manner or self directed guidance from the guy you just met referring you to a guys he's never met, who might then refer you to a guy he's never met. We call it guidance the Sottrade way.)

5) Minimum 10-15 year old CRM software you must use daily for everything you do. (Nobody can use the antiquated software when it's either not working or so slow it might as well not be working.)

6) Doesn't respect and value client's trust placed in Scottrade brand.

7) Doesn't respect and value employee's relationship with their clients.

8) Doesn't respect and value client's relationship with their broker.

8) Doesn't respect and value employee's time, hard work and efforts, and career.

9) Doesn't respect and value employees knowledge, suggestions, and feedback. (Good employees know exactly what clients need, expect, and want.)

10) Doesn't respect and value employer's relationship with employee.

11) Scottrade has lost all it's charm and value to clients. (It's becoming a brokerage firm that's best for a client who doesn't know better.)

12) Unfocused useless required education and training. (We've gone from Pickle training to sales key dialogue model.) None of the online training is useful and the sales training isn't much better.

13) Back office operations are extremely nice courteous Midwest people. But find every reason to cause transactional and operational problems for those clients you've spent years working with, and the new clients you've been asked to go find. Nobody has any discretion, supervisors are no better. Outdated policies, procedures, and an unhelpful unchanging attitude that takes into effect no ownership or client sympathy as the firm shifts from service to service and sales. Even a branch manager of many years cannot have the final say over an intern or temporary worker in new accounts, cashiering/money direct, margin, fraud and loss, etc.

14) Management committed to no direction. Policy, plans, goals, visions, values inconsistent after many years of change. Still not fully committed to "sales and service" all the while has lost service completely.

15) BROKERS CANNOT GIVE ADVICE, ADMINISTER RISK TOLERANCE QUESTIONS, OR DETERMINE SUITABILITY OF A PASSIVE INDEX ETF STRATEGY. EVERYTHING MUST GO TO GUIDANCE FIRST, WHO ARE ALL NEW TO SCOTTRADE AND SCOTTRADE IS NEW TO GUIDANCE, WHICH IS A TERRIBLE PROCESS. GUIDANCE ONLY HAS 20% CONVERSION SUCCESS WITH WHO YOU SEND THEIR WAY. THEY OFTEN ARE LATE OR MISS APPOINTMENTS, GIVE THE CLEINTS A FOUR HOUR WINDOW TO WAIT AROUND FOR PHONE APPOINTMENTS BECAUSE THATS WHAT COMCAST DOES. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE REFERRED TO A PERSON OR SERVICE FOR THAT PERSON TO AGAIN RE-REFER?! CLIENT REFERS FRIEND > REFERRAL > INVESTMENT CONSULTANT > GUIDANCE > ADVISOR NETWORK. LOST TRACK BUT PEOPLE SEEM TO BE HANDED OFF 3-4 TIMES. VERY STRANGE AND UNPROFESSIONAL. WHAT A JOKE.

16) CEO mysteriously gone and nobody says anything.

17) Still trying to force clients to use Elite with a ride it till the wheels fall off attitude. (Nobody asks why are the wheels falling off a NEW Elite car?) Clients hate it, so many bugs, terrible user interface, firm drags out the launch and still forces kicking and screaming to use it as they sunset the old, management doesn't care if they lose S4-5 star clients in process, and the solution seems to be let's call all the clients to hand hold their way through it. It's its so great it shouldn't be this way.

18) No clear vision communicated for the constantly changing direction of the ride all employees are on.

19) Hasn't been competitive for 5-10 years and still operating as if it's the 1980's to early 2000's. (Maybe the technology got the Y2K bug.)

20) Still has 500 too many branches mostly located in strip malls.

21) They do lay off in spite of what they communicate and should probably get the backbone to do real layoffs in the best interest of the firm, clients and employees. Don't only wait for the bad employees to leave as you unknowingly run out the great employees.

22) Inflated and complicated management layers to where know body accountable. Created a leaderless environment that regularly goes from micro management to completely disappearing for extended periods of time.

23) Most of sales managers are without sales experience or qualified to manage in such capacity. The blind lead blind on a daily basis.

24) Every product launch is a delayed failure laden with bugs, errors, slowness likely to be recalled or suspended. (As soon as you get everyone to figure what a FRIP is you take it away. No advanced option yet everyone hates Options First. Do we offer check writing or not and is it with UMB bank or Scottrade Bank? Every client hates Scottrade Bank. Only Asia Pacific branch closes shortly after opening. Online Community terminated. No ACH out directly from the brokerage. And many more.)

25) Took 30+ years just this week to institute a reasonable account minimum.

26) Daily IPO emails to the branch.

27) Any department can email everyone at will, which they often do, and employees can respond to all.

28) Every client interaction is an apology, excuse why we can't quite meet their past and present needs, long winded guidance for work arounds to the terrible products and services, explanations why we can't meet their needs ending in a offer of free trades to patch things up.

29) Compliance has everyone scared of their own shadow because their scared of their own shadow as well. (Photocopying for a compliance file a card you hand wrote the clients account number on before you gave it to them?!)

Too many to list....

Been with the company for over a decade :)

Only positive change was two years ago when y'all decided to think about maybe making a half hearted commitment to positive improvements for the firm, clients, technology and associates when the fate of company $profits$ appeared bleak :(

With each change I and our entire team get excited about progressing, serving as we strive to "overcome barriers to financial success" for clients, improving our skills, new tools, asset gathering, opportunities for higher pay, building a CAREER from a JOB. Unfortunately with each policy change, with all the layers of useless middle management that have contributed nothing to my and the team members at my branch success, with each product launch failure, with each website crash and technical nightmare, with each disastrous Elite UPGRADE. Scottrade is in fact the barrier to financial success, barrier to career development, barrier to creating a higher pay check and building personal wealth.

But again failed miserably.

Becomes worse and worse. Each minute, hour, day, week, month, and quarter worse then the prior.

What has happened to my beloved Scottrade I've devoted so much of my life, time, efforts, work, talents, and loyalty to?! It was upsetting to read all these negative reviews. I felt very bad for Scottrade the first time I read them on this site that my co workers showed me. It was today after dealing with all the new Elite issues that I must concur with others on this site.

Scottrade must change for the better of all and change fast!

GREAT AT FIRST AND NOW IT IS HORRIBLE

Current Employee - Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I first started the managers let you know that they wanted you to succeed. They showed it with your actions and it was a lot less stressful and flexible. I really enjoyed working for Scottrade when I started a year ago.

Cons

There has been a lot of moving around as far as managers and the new managers basically show that they don't care about whether you succeed or fail. They may say they want you to succeed but they are always preventing people from moving forward in their career. Since I have started I have been thru 5 supervisors and 1 manager. The work environment know is stiff. I am sure there are other departments but the Service Center is not a department you want to work in. Career advancement and pay are not as great as other firms.

My advice for management would be to work with your employees and make them feel welcome and valued. Don't continue to make your employees feel like they have their back against the wall. Help your employees succeed instead of tying them down.

Cynicism and negativity are the real culprits, not change...

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Realizing that if we had not changed we would have not survived is not an indication of a culture going down the tubes, it is an indication of executive leadership trying to keep us in business.
    The fact that this change requires employees to have an open mind, try new things and actually become part of the solution and not the problem is too much for some people to handle. It is time to stop this non-sense.
    Organizations are made of people and people, granted, are imperfect; communication may not be ideal all of the time but a lot of the times It is not what they tell you but what you hear because what you hear is funneled through your own set of pre conceived notions that have nothing to do with reality.
    People here have the gall to complain about our "crappy" products, things we don't have, how Regional Managers don't know sales or how the new DVP's don't understand the culture yet these nay-sayers continue to allow "their" clients to view us as their play money paradise platform and will not fight to earn more of these clients' business because they choose not to educate clients about our evolution. Why??? why can't WE/SCOTTRADE not start the process of winning those assets? Are we are too afraid they may reject us? Are we concerned it is not the Scottrade culture? Because we don't have this or that? Are you kidding me? !!!
    All they are asking us to do is to have conversations with clients, get to know them and try to help them. What is so terrible wrong with that? Why is it ok for these clients to have brokers who sell them loaded funds or insurance agents who put them in annuities when a lot of the times it might not be appropriate, but it is wrong for us to try to educate our clients and potentially help them along the way?
    The biggest challenge for some folks is that for you to be able to do this you have to be willing to engage people whether in person or by calling.
    As an organization, I recognize we have a long way to go. I give this company a four star rating not because we are perfect but because we have people really trying to figure this out and doing their best to make Scottrade a profitable, engaging and fair place to work within the new realities of our industry.
    If you are already here all it takes is a change in attitude, if you are not and want to make a difference then join us.

Cons

Technology (speed, equipment) lags behind
    Internal processes remain convoluted
    No direct voicemail or ability to email
    Pay is below industry average

Continue to streamline processes away from the branches, invest in Technology, give professional employees professional designations at branches and give them more autonomy to close business. Continue to evaluate compensation so we can catch up to the competition.

Deep discount brokerage firm, deep discount employer

Former Employee - Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy work/life balance even at supervisory levels, mostly friendly coworkers, opportunities for home office employees to move around within organization, "that's good enough" expectations across the organization, company 401k match seems to be above-average

Cons

Lack of PTO, very limited advancement opportunities beyond St Louis, pay is mediocre, "that's good enough" expectations across the organization, daily issues with basic customer-facing and work applications

Fix the daily technological issues, in doing so you will retain customers and meet more of the expectations of your workforce

"I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with at Scottrade are really fun to work with. My branch had diverse backgrounds with similar goals.The 401k match is awesome, but I left before I could even get it. They do allow for a work/life balance that was much better than my previous employer. The time off is needed however though because of the grind of meeting ever changing imaginary numbers they want you to hit.

My boss was awesome and he's a true asset to this company. He was extremely happy for me when he found out I was leaving - that should tell you something right there. I enjoyed my time with the company, but it was sad to hear how awesome it USED TO BE.

Cons

The fact the 401k match one time a year is ludicrous and fails the point of dollar cost averaging.

Please don't lie to us:

When I came on board I was told I'd have to make around 4-6 outbound calls a day. I thought, no big deal. Well, by the time I left, it was up to 20 contacts and 30 calls. That wouldn't be that hard if I logged out of my phone and locked my door. If you're reading this, you know that's not possible.

I know this is hard to believe, but I believe I called everyone in my call list twice or left a message there a few times like some pathetic psycho ex boyfriend. I'm sorry sir, just checking in, they make me do this, please understand.

I was also told I'd be able to use my Series 66, but alas, they'd rather have some guys in St Louis do that. So imagine my thoughts on talking to someone in my office, getting them excited about Guidance, and then saying...well, a guy I know does that. Sure they'll use the "doctor referral" idiom as a sales point when they're selling the branch ICs on doing this. It's funny because the exact hurdles we predicted at training happened. My first referral - my client wanted a call at Friday before 9 AM. He was a teacher. He ended up being called on Tuesday at 3 PM. Obviously he wasn't very happy and called us to tell us all about it the next day. What do you know....he didn't bring over any assets.

You can't be the McDonald's of stock trading and start serving filet minion and expect people to love it. That's kind of what Scottrade is doing. They now offer guidance but until recently they also offered anyone with $500 to open an acct. The $500 jobber wants to open an acct and buy penny stocks. We can't tell them that they might as well go light it on fire (heck it might last longer that way) because we can't give advice. We might as well be wearing a visor with a uniform and name-tag. "Would you like margin with that?"

The fact the 401k match one time a year is ludicrous and fails to follow a simple rule of dollar cost averaging. I could see a non-financial company doing this, but not one that claims to be a financial company. I know a lot of companies do wait until the end of the year, but usually they're small companies that aren't in the finance industry. This is clearly done to save money. It's not competitive BUT it probably makes a lot of sense if you've got the turnover Scottrade has had this year.

Like a previous review said --> Have some of the Regional Managers come work in a Branch for a day and see what assets they can bring in. Almost all of them have no prior sales experience!

They do, however, do a great job - reading verbatim out of the sales three ring binder. I counted the "um's and uh's" one day and I was up to over 50 after 7 mins on a conference call. Seriously, who didn't get that job? They can't believe the stuff they're telling the branches right? You brought in $4 million last quarter - imagine how much more you could bring in if you made 400 more phone calls that quarter? That's a valid point I suppose if you've never made a phone call in your life. The folks I've seen in this industry who do really well, don't make 40 calls a day, they make 10 good calls to people who have a chance of bringing them money. Those people get chastised because they don't make as many calls as they new dude who hasn't a clue but is talking to answering machines all day.

Changing the compensation so that you can actually get paid on huge assets coming in ($15mil) is great if you're in a branch with a bunch of whales. However, if you're not - that newest compensation for the year killed the smaller branches. Some of the payouts were cut 31% - you kidding me? The funny thing is, no one who has $15 mil is going to bring in that type of money if they can't reinvest dividends.

The fact that Matt Wilson just left was a bit of a bombshell to most. I'm sure there's more to the story than we'll ever know. I suppose I'll have to stay tuned to glassdoor.com to see what's put up on here after the Manager's Meeting in St. Louis. Matt must have known that was coming due to the tough questions he answered on his quarterly web chat on Tuesday Oct. 21st. Usually those questions answered there are almost always softball questions that won't rock the boat.

Here's some advice: I know these reviews are being read because it's clear that some of these 3 sentence reviews that claim this company is awesome and everyone is lazy are a joke, and probably are being made by folks in the HR department. Or better yet, they're soliciting folks to do it. How about instead of fluffing the numbers on here with reviews that are clearly poppycock, work on keeping employees at the company. That will save you tons of money on posting those newly opened positions.

You need to close around 150-200 branches - consolidate the folks in to mega branches like Fidelity has and offer guidance face to face right there in the office. If you do that, you'll seriously rattle some cages in the industry! There's still hope for this company!

Company is experiencing growing pains but on the right track.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not asked to do anything unethical. Bonuses and base pay are becoming competitive with the industry.

Cons

IT has been lacking for some time now. Glad that Rodger is back as CEO, hopefully he can focus on IT properly.

SUCKERS!!!!!

I worked at Scottrade full-time

Pros

You will get a paycheck and some sort of raise. The 401K match is good.

Cons

Where do I start. Pay is sub par, morale is horrible, overly micromanaged, not a place for any creativity.

You guys used to be a great place to work. Scottrade once stood for a place that everyone loved and respect. Now most of the employees hate where they work. You can't run a company with fear and threatening your employees to get them to work. You have lost so many employees. And that isn't even the problem. It's how you got rid of them that is. It is going to bite you in the you know what eventually. No one know what they are doing. INCLUDING ROGER!!! Why did you hire that clown Matt Wilson!!! Didn't he make problems for TD Ameritrade before he came over?? Don't you guys pay attention to what you do anymore??? Few if any of your upper management know anything about asset gathering. Hell most people in the branches don't either! You failed in running this company. I could have done a better job than most of the Bozos you have in your line up. Get rid of the yo yo's running the Guidance Solution. They are a bad comedy act. They are lazy, incompetent, and just there for a paycheck. These guys don't even call clients back that actually want to give them money!! You are better off getting people in the branches the 65/66 and have them deal with the clients directly. Most other firms do. Maybe that's why you don't. You are afraid to lose control of your employees. Well here is a little lesson. You have to give something to get something. When you guys are ready to take the reins off and actually give your employees some capabilities, some ability to give advise and better products, maybe they will have a better chance at success. They have little or no chance now. No one is going to give you guys any big money and they can't have a serious conversation with you. Unless they are pissed with their broker and just happen to see your sign on the road. You guys need to be more professional. And the offices are a joke!! You can't even have a private conversation without someone sticking their nose in and trying to listen. Create some real offices and a better environment, pay your employees what they deserve or your ship will sink!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A CEO who really cares

Cons

Too many layers of management

People are uneasy because new management brought all their own people instead of promoting within

Difficult

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

My branch manager is an awesome guy that has helped me be a better broker and genuinely cares about my development. Pay has gotten better somewhat.

Cons

Middle management generally useless and have no idea what goes on in the branch. Company now wants us to focus on selling the company and guidance solutions on top of all of the incoming calls and walk-ins. Everything that a client needs is effectively done by the branch. Everything you do has to be documented or it is assumed by your regional manger that you are doing nothing. Regional managers have nothing to offer other than complaints. Computers systems are very slow. We have to enhance our computer systems to match the growth in clientele. Everything done Halfway. If you spend time with a client without additional money to bring in, whether he has $500 or $5 mil it is essentially wasted time from the upper
    Management standpoint. This is going to eventually lead to a lot of poor service and a loss of business. The support departments in STL have problems communicating with the branch. You can ask a yes or no question in an email and the answer will be "maybe". Support departments cannot contact the clientele without irritating them.

Figure out a way to maintain the morals of Scottrade and grow like Schwab or BAC. TD Ameritrade is not the stellar industry model you think it is. Consider a bonus on retaining assets.

Lousy temporary job at best

Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The paycheck just about gets me through to the next one. Thankfully I am able to sell cars on the side and this company has such a lack of oversight I have no need to disclose it.(Even though I am able to sell cars while I am in the office and just have to keep my associates quiet with a branch lunch occasionally.)

Cons

The ship is sinking you'll just have to know when to step off. This company is run like a bad high school project. Management lacks experience of any kind and they have defined failure to a "T".

Rodger should dump this company like any bad stock..... or you may as well keep holding out hope for your Enron shares too. Frankly this company sucks in every aspect.