Scottrade Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • The work/life balance is great--I never put in longer than an 8-hour day (in 48 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement once you start in the branch (in 22 reviews)

• Ceiling to your growth unless you move to St Louis (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Job

Current Employee - Stockbroker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Stockbroker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

The fact that almost 25 percent of all intern will return to work full time.

Cons

Can be boring and repetitive at times.

Keep the good work up

Scottrade Intern

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

The environment is very supportive. Customers are not pressured into anything and seem genuinely satisfied. The workplace is very efficient utilizing a great deal of technology. They are clearly an excellent company inside and out. It is easy to work with a company that has a product as good as Scottrade and they take it a step further by providing the service to back it up. Unlike other online discount brokerages, Scottrade has a huge network of branch offices.

Cons

The only downside could be that branches are small, which means that relocation may be necessary for a promotion. The nature of the discount brokerage is not giving specific advice nor interpreting information. This can be difficult for certain personalities because of a tendency to want to help.

I would like to see ways to earn a larger bonus. I like that it has stayed a private company allowing them to run it the way they want.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Stock Broker in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Stock Broker in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade

Pros

Non threatening and non stressful working environment. if you are placed in a good branch and get lucky to work with nice people it can be a very enjoyable experience

Cons

Career Advancement is limited once you become a branch manager. Positions are often take to much time to fill and traveling agents come in for weeks at a time, can be bothersome.

The bonus reward system must be fixed. their is not enough incentive to work hard if you wont be rewarded with it.

Hiring in a down economy

Current Employee - Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

One of the few companies experiencing growth in a down economy.

Cons

Downsides are not necessarily exclusive to Scottrade.
    Scottrade has experienced tremendous growth over the pas 5 years and they are doing a great job in keeping up with
    the rapid growth.

Keep up the good work.

A great career starter, but definitely not where you want to retire.

Current Employee - Stockbroker in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Stockbroker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Great opportunity. A lot of room to work, but not very much room to get promoted. The atmosphere and employees are great. We definitely believe in high customer satisfaction. Scottrade has won the JD power and associates award in customer service several years in a row. There are many branch offices opening which opens many more positions to fill if you need to relocate.

Cons

not very many positions. Trainee, intern, broker, and manager are pretty much it. There are very many branch offices opened, but very minimal amount of employees in each except maybe the corporate side.

This is a great company to start off working for to gain experience, but eventually you may want to branch out to advising or consulting.

honesty

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

mellow environment to work in. low stress and for the most part an easy job once you get a feel.

Cons

lack of opportunities to grow and advance individually. vision?

clearer vision for company. better communication of goals and vision of company to lower levels. greater speed in executing improvements and changes--still a small company but moves and changes slower than big companies.

Scottrade offers good pay, good benefits and room for growth.

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Scottrade offers good pay and good benefits. They are known for promoting from within and are always looking to advance their current employees careers.

They have some very unique benefits. They will pay part of a gym membership, match charitable donations up to $10,000 and have many contests throughout the year.

In addition you get generous vacation time starting your first year. Also, Stock Brokers get paid time and half for any time worked over 40 hours.

Cons

One of the biggest downsides is that the offices are small (normally two to four people per office). It can make it more difficult to have time off around the holidays.

Keep up the good work.

Good job, not great pay

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

as a stepping stone or if you want to become a manager without waiting 10 years

Cons

The pay is not as competitve as it is with other firms

Pay us a little more. change the bonus structure so that it is factored into our pay rather than as a bonus.

Scottrade-A Good 9-5

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

Scottrade provides an excellent work environment. Branches are manned by a small staff and it is easy to build decent working and personal relationships with co-workers. The best part of the job is the people with whome I work. Scottrade is a good stepping stone for career starters. Over the years, we have had 33% of our college interns go on to full-time positions with Scottrade. There are opportunities for advancement from inter to branch manager. There are many positions availabl in the corporate headquaters. Scottrade provides many unexpected perk, like gifts during Christmas. Management is especially generous when we receive the JD Power Award for Excellence which we have several times now.

Cons

There are opportunites for advancement it is quite likely that you will have to relocate to take advantage of these. If you want to advance in Corporate you must relocate to St. Louis, MO, enough said. Upper management makes an attempt to micro-manage local branches, it is an annoyance. It also leads to the us and them syndrome and is very 1984. Currently, I am review by my manager nine times per year. Yes, you heard me nine times. This creates a very Orwellian atmosphere. Compensation and benefits are okay. They could be better. Especially benefits like dental which is not a benefit at all but a discout program. Oh, by the way, some genius in human resources though it be a boost to morale if Scottrade would send an annual report to every employee about hom much cost we are to Scottrade to make us all feel better about the meager compensation.

I think a focus on attracting and retaining talent would be in order. It seems that the company focus more on the cheapest labor for the buck and not on staff that can effectively do the job. Many new intiatives for customers are not implement in a thoughtful way. It would pay if we spent a little less on opening branches and more on compensation and benefits. We'll get what we pay for and right now it's not much.