Scottrade

Updated December 21, 2014
2.8

Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • They do allow for a work/life balance that was much better than my previous employer (in 51 reviews)

• It's also a great place for young college grads to get resume experience (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for advancement unless you want to change your job title and keep doing the same thing (in 23 reviews)

• Politics, no room for growth - you're either a broker or a branch manager unless you want to move to St (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Didn't kiss butt so I got the boot

Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Non management employees were the only one's who you could count on.

Cons

If you had a backbone and stood up for yourself you never had the chance for advancement. You were promised things you never received. You were lied to right to your face. Management was a joke and did not know how to manage their people and went straight to HR. If you sucked up to management you could do no wrong and were protected. Management would take your ideas and claim them as their own.

Management should be able to do every job in their department. It is a lot easier to lead if you know what you are talking about.

Company is experiencing growing pains but on the right track.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not asked to do anything unethical. Bonuses and base pay are becoming competitive with the industry.

Cons

IT has been lacking for some time now. Glad that Rodger is back as CEO, hopefully he can focus on IT properly.

"I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with at Scottrade are really fun to work with. My branch had diverse backgrounds with similar goals.The 401k match is awesome, but I left before I could even get it. They do allow for a work/life balance that was much better than my previous employer. The time off is needed however though because of the grind of meeting ever changing imaginary numbers they want you to hit.

My boss was awesome and he's a true asset to this company. He was extremely happy for me when he found out I was leaving - that should tell you something right there. I enjoyed my time with the company, but it was sad to hear how awesome it USED TO BE.

Cons

The fact the 401k match one time a year is ludicrous and fails the point of dollar cost averaging.

Please don't lie to us:

When I came on board I was told I'd have to make around 4-6 outbound calls a day. I thought, no big deal. Well, by the time I left, it was up to 20 contacts and 30 calls. That wouldn't be that hard if I logged out of my phone and locked my door. If you're reading this, you know that's not possible.

I know this is hard to believe, but I believe I called everyone in my call list twice or left a message there a few times like some pathetic psycho ex boyfriend. I'm sorry sir, just checking in, they make me do this, please understand.

I was also told I'd be able to use my Series 66, but alas, they'd rather have some guys in St Louis do that. So imagine my thoughts on talking to someone in my office, getting them excited about Guidance, and then saying...well, a guy I know does that. Sure they'll use the "doctor referral" idiom as a sales point when they're selling the branch ICs on doing this. It's funny because the exact hurdles we predicted at training happened. My first referral - my client wanted a call at Friday before 9 AM. He was a teacher. He ended up being called on Tuesday at 3 PM. Obviously he wasn't very happy and called us to tell us all about it the next day. What do you know....he didn't bring over any assets.

You can't be the McDonald's of stock trading and start serving filet minion and expect people to love it. That's kind of what Scottrade is doing. They now offer guidance but until recently they also offered anyone with $500 to open an acct. The $500 jobber wants to open an acct and buy penny stocks. We can't tell them that they might as well go light it on fire (heck it might last longer that way) because we can't give advice. We might as well be wearing a visor with a uniform and name-tag. "Would you like margin with that?"

The fact the 401k match one time a year is ludicrous and fails to follow a simple rule of dollar cost averaging. I could see a non-financial company doing this, but not one that claims to be a financial company. I know a lot of companies do wait until the end of the year, but usually they're small companies that aren't in the finance industry. This is clearly done to save money. It's not competitive BUT it probably makes a lot of sense if you've got the turnover Scottrade has had this year.

Like a previous review said --> Have some of the Regional Managers come work in a Branch for a day and see what assets they can bring in. Almost all of them have no prior sales experience!

They do, however, do a great job - reading verbatim out of the sales three ring binder. I counted the "um's and uh's" one day and I was up to over 50 after 7 mins on a conference call. Seriously, who didn't get that job? They can't believe the stuff they're telling the branches right? You brought in $4 million last quarter - imagine how much more you could bring in if you made 400 more phone calls that quarter? That's a valid point I suppose if you've never made a phone call in your life. The folks I've seen in this industry who do really well, don't make 40 calls a day, they make 10 good calls to people who have a chance of bringing them money. Those people get chastised because they don't make as many calls as they new dude who hasn't a clue but is talking to answering machines all day.

Changing the compensation so that you can actually get paid on huge assets coming in ($15mil) is great if you're in a branch with a bunch of whales. However, if you're not - that newest compensation for the year killed the smaller branches. Some of the payouts were cut 31% - you kidding me? The funny thing is, no one who has $15 mil is going to bring in that type of money if they can't reinvest dividends.

The fact that Matt Wilson just left was a bit of a bombshell to most. I'm sure there's more to the story than we'll ever know. I suppose I'll have to stay tuned to glassdoor.com to see what's put up on here after the Manager's Meeting in St. Louis. Matt must have known that was coming due to the tough questions he answered on his quarterly web chat on Tuesday Oct. 21st. Usually those questions answered there are almost always softball questions that won't rock the boat.

Here's some advice: I know these reviews are being read because it's clear that some of these 3 sentence reviews that claim this company is awesome and everyone is lazy are a joke, and probably are being made by folks in the HR department. Or better yet, they're soliciting folks to do it. How about instead of fluffing the numbers on here with reviews that are clearly poppycock, work on keeping employees at the company. That will save you tons of money on posting those newly opened positions.

You need to close around 150-200 branches - consolidate the folks in to mega branches like Fidelity has and offer guidance face to face right there in the office. If you do that, you'll seriously rattle some cages in the industry! There's still hope for this company!

Great Experience

I have been working at Scottrade

Pros

I thought the jobs was awesome

Cons

I thought the job was awesome

52 Week Low

Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time

Pros

- TREAT -

1) GREAT COWORKERS & TEAM MEMBERS by my side
    2) DISCRETIONARY 401k match
    3) HSA seed money
    4) Monday through Friday 8-5
    5) Never work Saturdays
    6) NYSE holidays. (No banking holidays.)
    7) Free vision insurance

Cons

- TRICK -

1) Little to no room for career advancement.
    (But you're welcome to move to Saint Louis Missouri for a decreased quality of living adjustment.)

2) EXTREMELY low compensation with no opportunity for an increase of your base salary for performance. It's always only been this way from my experience, and nobody I know has ever received or heard of someone receiving a raise. Corporate culture also taboos such behavior. You can never ask for a pay raise! You will only receive less than 3% annual increase at best based on cost of labor adjustments. Your pay is based upon cost of labor in Saint Louis. (Hopefully the cost of labor goes up so we can get more than a $0.50 hour, or few dollar a day, raise each year.)

3) Branch incentive compensation for asset gathering:

Low compensation.

HORRIBLE policy, system and tracking technology! It can't be trusted, has too many errors, accidents, closed activities, requires constant baby sitting of "exceptions", and many more flaws. You spend a great deal of time on this alone.

When you do find something it can't be from someone you've served and developed a relationship with over your Scottrade "CAREER" prior to the switch to "sales & service" unless you "display all elements of GST$", write a CRM journal essay about it, deal with all the prior flaws and technical issues.

Associates never have time for "asset gathering" due to continuous client walk-ins, phones ring off the hook, continuous internal and client facing technical issues or every imaginable and unforseeable form. (Some days you and your entire branch will be left wondering is this real, why we are all dealing with this, if management is trying to get us to leave, why are we still here, if there is a hidden camera, and if you were violated if you happened to have become unconscious.)

If you can somehow make it through all that before the customer changes their mind and/or harasses you through the whole process because they haven't received their cash bonus, the Saint Louis back office operations has an opportunity to mess up your opportunity and/or finds a way to refuse business, and don't die before the four months it takes for you to be compensated. Otherwise you're good to go but most of your asset gathering compensation has eroded since you've exhausted all your resources and time playing their game.

4) DOESN'T INVEST IN TECHNOLOGY. (Repairs leaks in the dam above town with bubble gum and a band aid.) Too many employee programs and applications created (and growing) over 30+ years that all look different, slow, crash and don't communicate amongst each other well. Every day in the life of a branch employee is a combination of ongoing and new issues. Don't we deserve something that works after all these years?! Client facing technology is the same. Website outdated, slowness, crashing, Scottrade Bank balances don't work so they take offline as if clients won't notice. Confuses a client when then toolset options includes a cumbersome outdated website, mobile site, mobile application, Scottrader, legacy and new Scottrade Elite (until today). (After they decide how to access their investments the next option is self directed help from brokers who can't really help them in a clear manner or self directed guidance from the guy you just met referring you to a guys he's never met, who might then refer you to a guy he's never met. We call it guidance the Sottrade way.)

5) Minimum 10-15 year old CRM software you must use daily for everything you do. (Nobody can use the antiquated software when it's either not working or so slow it might as well not be working.)

6) Doesn't respect and value client's trust placed in Scottrade brand.

7) Doesn't respect and value employee's relationship with their clients.

8) Doesn't respect and value client's relationship with their broker.

8) Doesn't respect and value employee's time, hard work and efforts, and career.

9) Doesn't respect and value employees knowledge, suggestions, and feedback. (Good employees know exactly what clients need, expect, and want.)

10) Doesn't respect and value employer's relationship with employee.

11) Scottrade has lost all it's charm and value to clients. (It's becoming a brokerage firm that's best for a client who doesn't know better.)

12) Unfocused useless required education and training. (We've gone from Pickle training to sales key dialogue model.) None of the online training is useful and the sales training isn't much better.

13) Back office operations are extremely nice courteous Midwest people. But find every reason to cause transactional and operational problems for those clients you've spent years working with, and the new clients you've been asked to go find. Nobody has any discretion, supervisors are no better. Outdated policies, procedures, and an unhelpful unchanging attitude that takes into effect no ownership or client sympathy as the firm shifts from service to service and sales. Even a branch manager of many years cannot have the final say over an intern or temporary worker in new accounts, cashiering/money direct, margin, fraud and loss, etc.

14) Management committed to no direction. Policy, plans, goals, visions, values inconsistent after many years of change. Still not fully committed to "sales and service" all the while has lost service completely.

15) BROKERS CANNOT GIVE ADVICE, ADMINISTER RISK TOLERANCE QUESTIONS, OR DETERMINE SUITABILITY OF A PASSIVE INDEX ETF STRATEGY. EVERYTHING MUST GO TO GUIDANCE FIRST, WHO ARE ALL NEW TO SCOTTRADE AND SCOTTRADE IS NEW TO GUIDANCE, WHICH IS A TERRIBLE PROCESS. GUIDANCE ONLY HAS 20% CONVERSION SUCCESS WITH WHO YOU SEND THEIR WAY. THEY OFTEN ARE LATE OR MISS APPOINTMENTS, GIVE THE CLEINTS A FOUR HOUR WINDOW TO WAIT AROUND FOR PHONE APPOINTMENTS BECAUSE THATS WHAT COMCAST DOES. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE REFERRED TO A PERSON OR SERVICE FOR THAT PERSON TO AGAIN RE-REFER?! CLIENT REFERS FRIEND > REFERRAL > INVESTMENT CONSULTANT > GUIDANCE > ADVISOR NETWORK. LOST TRACK BUT PEOPLE SEEM TO BE HANDED OFF 3-4 TIMES. VERY STRANGE AND UNPROFESSIONAL. WHAT A JOKE.

16) CEO mysteriously gone and nobody says anything.

17) Still trying to force clients to use Elite with a ride it till the wheels fall off attitude. (Nobody asks why are the wheels falling off a NEW Elite car?) Clients hate it, so many bugs, terrible user interface, firm drags out the launch and still forces kicking and screaming to use it as they sunset the old, management doesn't care if they lose S4-5 star clients in process, and the solution seems to be let's call all the clients to hand hold their way through it. It's its so great it shouldn't be this way.

18) No clear vision communicated for the constantly changing direction of the ride all employees are on.

19) Hasn't been competitive for 5-10 years and still operating as if it's the 1980's to early 2000's. (Maybe the technology got the Y2K bug.)

20) Still has 500 too many branches mostly located in strip malls.

21) They do lay off in spite of what they communicate and should probably get the backbone to do real layoffs in the best interest of the firm, clients and employees. Don't only wait for the bad employees to leave as you unknowingly run out the great employees.

22) Inflated and complicated management layers to where know body accountable. Created a leaderless environment that regularly goes from micro management to completely disappearing for extended periods of time.

23) Most of sales managers are without sales experience or qualified to manage in such capacity. The blind lead blind on a daily basis.

24) Every product launch is a delayed failure laden with bugs, errors, slowness likely to be recalled or suspended. (As soon as you get everyone to figure what a FRIP is you take it away. No advanced option yet everyone hates Options First. Do we offer check writing or not and is it with UMB bank or Scottrade Bank? Every client hates Scottrade Bank. Only Asia Pacific branch closes shortly after opening. Online Community terminated. No ACH out directly from the brokerage. And many more.)

25) Took 30+ years just this week to institute a reasonable account minimum.

26) Daily IPO emails to the branch.

27) Any department can email everyone at will, which they often do, and employees can respond to all.

28) Every client interaction is an apology, excuse why we can't quite meet their past and present needs, long winded guidance for work arounds to the terrible products and services, explanations why we can't meet their needs ending in a offer of free trades to patch things up.

29) Compliance has everyone scared of their own shadow because their scared of their own shadow as well. (Photocopying for a compliance file a card you hand wrote the clients account number on before you gave it to them?!)

Too many to list....

Been with the company for over a decade :)

Only positive change was two years ago when y'all decided to think about maybe making a half hearted commitment to positive improvements for the firm, clients, technology and associates when the fate of company $profits$ appeared bleak :(

With each change I and our entire team get excited about progressing, serving as we strive to "overcome barriers to financial success" for clients, improving our skills, new tools, asset gathering, opportunities for higher pay, building a CAREER from a JOB. Unfortunately with each policy change, with all the layers of useless middle management that have contributed nothing to my and the team members at my branch success, with each product launch failure, with each website crash and technical nightmare, with each disastrous Elite UPGRADE. Scottrade is in fact the barrier to financial success, barrier to career development, barrier to creating a higher pay check and building personal wealth.

But again failed miserably.

Becomes worse and worse. Each minute, hour, day, week, month, and quarter worse then the prior.

What has happened to my beloved Scottrade I've devoted so much of my life, time, efforts, work, talents, and loyalty to?! It was upsetting to read all these negative reviews. I felt very bad for Scottrade the first time I read them on this site that my co workers showed me. It was today after dealing with all the new Elite issues that I must concur with others on this site.

Scottrade must change for the better of all and change fast!

Change starts from within...

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Throughout my years here at Scottrade, there have been many changes, but by far the biggest change we have gone through is in the last few years with turning from a service to a sales and service firm. It is important to keep in mind that without pushing more towards sales and asset gathering, Scottrade would not be able to stay in business with the path it was on of being the place to go for low-cost trades. I get that change is hard and uncomfortable, especially for employees who have been at Scottrade for awhile, since one of the reasons we may have been here for so long is that we don't like sales. But Scottrade had to start somewhere, even if everything is not perfect - certainly we could have better tools available, more solutions for clients, and it would be nice to be able to give advice in the office; but if we wait until all of those things are in place, it may be too late for the firm.
    There is a lot of resentment among long-term Scottrade employees of outside people that came in to the firm. I was initially one of those people who resented it, but I have gotten a chance to work closely with some of those people both within a branch and at HQ and I truly believe they have brought fresh ideas into the firm and have helped me tremendously with my sales skills.
    The bonus within my branch has improved quarter after quarter for assets we are bringing in, which is a testament to the fact that we are having deeper, more in-depth conversations with clients who I truly feel we are helping. And while yes, not all of our clients want or need our help, there are certainly plenty who do.
    Don't get me wrong, there are aspects of my job that are hard for me. Calling clients to talk about their accounts, or asking in-depth questions of clients who have been coming into the office for years is out of my comfort zone. But over the past year, I have grown and gotten better at these types of skills, and I can make the choice to either come to work and continue to grow and be happy along the way, or I can complain and say that it will never work and be miserable. I choose to at least try and give it a chance.

Cons

Clunky back office systems that don't work well together.
    Outside of moving to HQ, not much room for advancement.
    Need to invest in better technology.
    Get branches licensed asap for managed products so we can help clients in the office.

I would encourage our leadership to continue these changes without sacrificing the great and unique corporate culture that Rodger has created over the years by making sure changes are communicated equally across the firm. I feel lucky that I am in a region where, while the change can still be hard, it is presented in a positive way and I still feel appreciated by management.

Scottrade = TD Ameritade

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good 401k plan. Good benefits"that you pay a ton of your own money into". 8 hour work day. Off holidays

Cons

I feel we were lied to. We were told we were going to do things the "Scottrade" way. That was a lie. We are doing things the TD way. Roger has stated multiple times that he isn't a salesman and wants to focus on not doing sales. Another lie. We were told no quotas. Another lie. I don't believe anything that management says. Do I even need to talk about how made our technology is??? If you are thinking about working at Scottrade. STAY AWAY!!!!

Have some of the regional managers come work in a Branch for a day and see what assets they can bring in. They all have
    No prior sales experience. !!!!!

Scottrade is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people and the culture at Scottrade are fantastic. They really want to help clients find solutions to fit their financial needs which is hard to find in this business. Management really seems to care about their employees and support them even as the company transitions to a more sales and advice oriented environment. It seems like one big family at the corporate offices.

Cons

The firm is adapting to compete with other companies in the industry and the changes are obviously difficult, but it seems like they are trying give employees opportunities and the tools necessary to be successful.

Continue to get input from the employees on the front lines that have the most communication with the clients and use the information as you transition to a more sales and advice oriented firm.

is heading in right direction if owner does not cave to the lazy masses

Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is starting to head in right direction has been living on $7 trades for too long finally updating technology. I feel great opportunity finally have a chance to increase income based on efforts. Still in the beginning stages but once update phone technology and culture to be more competitive with rest of industry can start to shine.

Cons

The main problem is company is filled with bank tellers types who are over paid for doing something we could outsource for half the price. There needs to be service but they is not going to pay the bills anymore. The company asked for one or two cross sells a month and these people are freaking out. I think Roger fired the wrong person and should clean house of dead weight. Majority of these people could not get a job at any other financial institution in the country. Any bank teller in the country earning $8.50 an hour has to cross sell or at least ask every client. If we were a publicly traded company would be crushed in the market. Fidelity is private and run by driven experienced people.

Do not let the cooks run the kitchen, get an experienced executive from outside who know the biz, Get the company in line with competition because in five years $7 a trade will be on the high side, need other revenue resources and modern software, you are not running a democracy.

A Dishonest Company With Dishonest Leadership

Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you work in a branch there is nothing I would identify as a "Pro" other than the basics that accompany any job.

Cons

There are many reviews that discuss the recent "Changes" at Scottrade. Perhaps the complaint should not be about the changes as every company must evolve to stay competitive. I find the complaint more with the dishonesty of the former Founder? and CEO Rodger Riney, as he has been replaced with Matt Wilson and now prefers to sit back and just be the owner. If you have ever listened to 2 words this guy has said, you know Rodger as I do, I bold-faced liar. If you are having a hard time understanding this statement go back and listen to the "State of Scottrade" speeches over the years. I guess I have more of an issue with this than most because I do listen, I do pay attention. In other words I am not one of the "excited idiots" in the room who claps because everyone else might be. It is quite apparent that the speeches were for the sole intent of misleading a large group of low paid employees with wonderful promises. Listen to all the things that Rodger is NOT going to change. Listen to the implied promises. Look for your stock options. Look for the reason you remained with this company for so long if you did indeed dedicate a large part of your career to this company. What are the key takeaways from these speeches?

My future with Scottrade is one with little time left. This company is garbage. I am compensated for pushing paper and I continue to do so but I look for no incentive pay as I do not speak highly of this company as far as an investment firm, much like not providing advice with this firm I just provide the facts and uncertainty behind this company and let the customer make their investment firm decision.

I don't know how many employees were contacted by an individual in HR to post "positive" things about Scottrade on Glassdoor.com but this website certainly has been a focal point for conversations branch network wide and clearly a growing concern for the HR department. Anyone who reads the reviews that are a current employee know which reviews are being solicited by HR.

The biggest downfall for this company is the incredibly low quality and unqualified middle management, your regional managers. Has anyone looked at their competencies and ability to drive this company in any other direction but into the ground. This group is responsible for an incredibly high turnover, or should I say responsible for a long list of vacancies. Where is their success? Why don't you put them in a branch to demonstrate their skills while your looking for that new manger? The answer is THIS is the department that is not living up to the change. They have no ability to mentor or train employees and they do not have any respect from their subordinates. It is their inexperience and laziness that leads to employees leaving. They cannot train somebody to do a job they themselves cannot do and have not done. They are full of finger pointing and placing blame elsewhere. They are not respected primarily because they have not earned it.

I find it funny to see how many job openings there are with Scottrade and I look forward to seeing my job in the list.

Bottom line, this company doomed. I would not recommend this company to a job seeker or a client.

I guess on a positive note pay isn't horrible, but the job is and I would be happy to make less elsewhere to avoid the toll that this job takes on me from having to have a regular conference call lead by an lazy individual.

I wanted to buy stock in Scottrade for many years., now I would buy "Puts" on Scottrade if I was able. I'm sure the balance sheet and income statement look great, maybe similar to the outstanding US Housing market back in 2007, I'm sure things will just continue on this path indefinitely. Rodger, you have disregarded the very foundation for the idea of this company and disrespected some once loyal employees, I wish you a substantial impending failure.