Scottrade Reviews

Reset
3.1
Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • Work life balance is still good (in 51 reviews)

• Used to be a great place to work (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement once you start in the branch (in 23 reviews)

• The only way to move up is to move to St (in 20 reviews)

1. Looking forward to being an intern at Scottrade

Current Intern - Project Manager in Westminster, CO
    Current Intern - Project Manager in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great PMO and working environment. I firmly believe that being in a finance driven company is a great step to enhance your project management background.

Cons

None experienced thus far. In the interview, I was told that the company had a great working environment for project managers and it has a great project management office.

Advice to Management

I can only provide advice to management once I have been hired. That being said, Scottrade looks to be a great company run by excellent individuals.

Service center broker

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Westminster, CO

Pros

Big on service but getting into sales. Started opportunities for service center. About the only good thing is the people that work there. Great place to start and get licensed.

Cons

Opportunity payout for asset finding is ridiculously low. No advancement in company. The system in use is archaic compared to competition. Have 2 year contract now for new hires to get licensed. Fully licensed brokers are forced to answer password resets and check requests.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the system! Have 1 system instead of having 5 platforms to answer one question. Go full service. Bump up minimum deposit and have a minimum balance as well to keep the quality of client. Hire temps for tax season. And have a team just for password resets to block those calls from getting to broker.

Aug 3, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate your perspective and can understand some of the frustrations you’re feeling. Please know that there are teams within the firm that are always evaluating internal and external ... More

Broker Trainee

Former Employee - Broker Trainee in Westminster, CO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management in Westminster, Colorado location. Company tries to offer a good work/life balance atmosphere. Easy entry to trainee position. Initial training program is fair if you have some financial background.

Cons

Pay is just decent. Very, very difficult to break out of call center and into other areas of the company even if you have skills for other positions. Difficult to form a bond to company and coworkers when you remain on phones entire shift.

Advice to Management

Burn out ratio in call center positions is normally high. Why is it preferable for you to lose good employees when you could offer some hope of entry into a non call center position?

Jun 25, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for your review. We can understand your situation and regret to hear that it wasn’t a fit for you. There are many career paths within the company, which are not necessarily limited to an ... More

Safe work, Growth available.

Former Employee - Middle Office Ops in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Middle Office Ops in Westminster, CO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No licenses required to come onboard. Room for growth if willing to become licensed series 7 and 63 in first 90 days.

Cons

Slow moving department. Early stages of development still with minimal transparency. Told a lot to be "patient". No cafeteria or many lunch options nearby.

May 8, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

As our company evolves, we are working on ways to engage our associates by communicating more frequently. While change can take time, we want all associates to feel informed about Scottrade’s ... More

was good, getting worse

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-laid back work environment -sponsors for series 7 -lots of opportunity to learn about financial field

Cons

-noncompetitive products -tools needed to do the job are unreliable -managements is now attempting to add sales to the position but is failing miserably

Advice to Management

make a decent product before u attempt to sell it

Feb 23, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for your feedback. We have teams in place that are constantly evaluating new technologies so that we are able to implement the best tools for our clients.

Not bad but not great

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Westminster, CO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly laid back and not a lot of pressure or stress. Great people!

Cons

Salaries are not great and leadership doesn't see that as an issue. Unable to hire top talent because they just won't pay.

Advice to Management

Realize the Denver market is hot and no matter what your salary evaluations say, you are wrong to think it is as low as you claim. Top talent will continue to walk and you will not be able to attract more than low t middle of the road technical talent.

8. Fake Experienced QA Personnel gets hired frequently

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Bad decisions are being made frequently to hire QA who fake experience and hired as Senior App development support and/or Senior QA Engineer.

Advice to Management

Please do a detailed background check for IT Quality Assurance Analyst (QA) jobs as people who are being hired fakes their experience by showing out of state, non-existent companies aboard, and elsewhere. Almost the hires we made last few years are those who have worked as Babysitters, Groceries clerk, Administrative Assistant with no real IT experience. This will hurt our reputation to manage and provide exceptional service to our customers who trust our trading experience.

A good company

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Scottrade (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good employee base and management

Cons

Pay not competitive but company is improving compesation

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better

10. Scottrade is good if you are content with a simple and steady life-style.

Former Employee - Broker Trainee in Westminster, CO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great schedules -Great management -Work was tiring but never any overtime -Steady work -Quite a few opportunites if you are interested in moving to St. Louis

Cons

-Limited growth -Most of the day spent on calls -Some of the 10 hour shifts could be very demanding -No place to eat food -Breaks and lunch time were very short

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities for training and specialization

Would be a great place to work if it wasn't so cliquish and supervisor wasn't so rude

Current Employee - Work In IT In Westminster, CO in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Work In IT In Westminster, CO in Westminster, CO

Pros

Job security (never had a layoff) Reasonable work load Nice building/office/location Purple is a pretty company color Good benefits Private company, not trying to please stockholders Great CEO with integrity Interesting work Best new employee training of any company I know of Supervisor doesn't micromanage

Cons

The IT area I'm in is the MOST cliquish place I've ever worked. They have lots of new people (hiring like crazy in Colorado) and new people are pointedly excluded from lunches, after work gatherings, etc. The old-timers who worked there long before Scottrade assimilated CRI walk around openly inviting their favorite cronies to lunch and happy hours, never bothering to glance toward the newbies. It's the most exclusive and callous group of people I've ever worked with. What's really bad is that the Supervisor is the most cliquish and inconsiderate one of the bunch. Supervisor is horrible at his job too (though thankfully doesn't micromanage). He's inept, rude, and clearly doesn't want to be bothered with that icky old 'people stuff' that goes along with managing. He's gruff and impatient--borderline hostile--and has no time to help his staff, yet has plenty of time to take long lunches with his clique. Low pay, supposedly mitigated by quarterly bonuses. Can't work from home.

Advice to Management

Realize that IT is different from branches and HQ and can work effectively from home. Esp those in areas with severe weather. We shouldn't have to take a vacation day because we can't get to work after a winter storm (the current policy). We won't slack off any more at home than we do at the office. Pay better base salaries even if it means reducing bonuses. Be aware that the cliquish antics of the CRI veterans WILL drive people away from the company after they've had enough of being treated shabbily. CO has an excellent job market and people have alternatives. You need to monitor your supervisors to see if they're doing a good job, and see if they're treating their staff with respect. The guy I report to should not be a supervisor.

RSS Feed </> Embed