Scotts Lawn Service

Add Photos

James Hagedorn

Scotts Lawn Service Sales

Door to Door Sales (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsWorking in the Columbus, OH market has been great. This is a great learning experience and you make solid money if you are getting sales. The weekly quotas are not hard to make as long as you are hitting at least 100 doors per day. The management is really helpful if you are struggling and tries to give as many perks as possible for making/exceeding quotas.

ConsYou will be working 50+ hours per week, especially if you and your coworkers are not hitting the numbers. Your back end commission relies heavily on the ability of the techs to get rid of the weeds.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf customers are lost due to the error of another employee the sales person should not be penalized. There should also be more opportunity to advance in the company.

it could be better but i enjoyed my time there.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Windsor, CT

ProsNice helpful co workers, good starting pay

Conscommunication as a whole in the company.

Advice to Senior Managementmore communication

dont waste your time

Door to Door Sales Representative (Current Employee) Hauppauge, NY

Prosif you like to walk you will get in great shape

Consyou will work long hours as many as 10 hrs a day for 6 straight days and your pay will average about 12 /hr....you will have to lie to customers to get them to sign up for this service.....management will lie to you every chance they get to accomplish these ends. veteran salespeople have access to computer log in codes and a rich data base of potential clients ...you however do not.

Advice to Senior Managementstop lying to your employees and most importantly to your customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

Pros-some of the management pretty cool.
    -they have some good products and services

Cons-first off how many sales positions is mandatory 6 days a week year around.
    -where i worked it was telemarketing in the Northeast. when you telemarket to the New England states. people in the New England states will call you every name in the book and you must say "yes sir" or "no sir"
    -the sales commission is a joke. okay often stuff sold 50-100% OVER cost to perform the service. So it cost 50 dollars to do that yard you sold it for 80 bucks. You get (drum roll please) $3.20 and you don't get all $3.20 at once you get 80 cents immediately on the next check and whenever that service is performed the remaining 2.40. so even though you brought in 30 dollars of PURE PROFIT for the company yeah you only get 3.20 of it.
    - the computer program takes a nuclear engineer to figure that out

- the people they hire have little to if any background in lawn care. so you have all these 18-20 year old that HAVE NO CLUE what fescue is but they are trying to educate people over the telephone(which you are lucky to get them on the phone because most of them are AT WORK)

- The amount of time you waste. you'll spend 2-3 hours per day trying to "recover" accounts this is accounts people cancelled 2-3 years ago. Now they could of cancelled due to money, due to service, due any reason. Now if its been 2-3 years they've either been able to do it themselves OR they have a new agency doing it. No I gotta WASTE 2-3 HOURS A DAY. to call people to recover sales which you'll never recover. it's okay to try to recover them a month after they've cancelled. but 2-3 years Move on dude.
    - Scott's pester clients. Now they contact THE SAME PERSON ABOUT THE SAME PRODUCT 9-10 times until the person says quit calling me. yes I realize we are suppose to sell. However do you realize how many times I got people saying "you called yesterday and I said no why are you calling again?" so they need to accept when clients say "no". I worked for another firm one time they said "no" we took them out of the database for that service.
    -management lies ALL THE TIME. when in the interview he said I'd have no problem making 50 k a year. now to get to that point EVERY WEEK I would have to sell 10 k in services. Now the most I ever sold was 7 k which meant I had a commission of 280. usually i was down in the 3-5 k for weekly sales which was around 150 buck commission. and pay came out to 700 gross per week. Second example of lieing by management- was told one sales person going to made 100 k this year. Now to make 100 k you would have to sell 2 million dollars of services. I looked up the highest selling person at that branch EVER bearly broke 1 million.
    -turnover insane 40 people started approx 1 year ago 2 of the 40 is left.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually respect your sales people. they are all going to either leave to go to your competition or find another position like I did.

Scotts

TSR (Former Employee)

ProsFree snacks, people were pretty nice.

ConsNo family time. Goals are not very attainable. Your working 60 hours plus for half time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make sure employees are properly trained. Need to work on communication and people skills.

Soo much to do, sooo much more little time...

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsAs a sales rep, I was making a pretty decent amount of money. Brining in $600.00 a week, but only getting paid bi-weekly. As far as pros are concerned, that is it.

ConsManagment wasnt the best. Very disorganized office. I was a newcomer and 2 weeks in to my employment, I was struggling to make sales. Never worked with or dealt with anything that had to do with grass or lawn care services previously before. So all while I'm trying to learn about what it is I need to know so that I'd be able to my job properly, I was rushing to make sales, that at first sound easy to accomplish, but in reality are not.

Some of the people I worked with lazy, yet they knew what they were doing, but a lot of them took advantage of the fact that throught the day you can pretty much do whatever you want to do, just so long as you make a certain number of sales. Again, I was a newcomer, and after less than 1 month they released me because I couldnt reach the goals they set (I've only made 2 sales, but had some help with it). Again, lots of disorganization in terms of where to make sales and horrible training.

Also, while I don't mind working long hours, with Scotts everything seemed to go far longer than it should. Get to the office at 11, work til 8:30 or til 9. No time to really take care of anything else during the day like personal business, family, things of that nature. Unless you took the time out of your work day to have fun on your own...

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow and understand where you put your workers. Having associates fight over a designated area to work on is annoying.

Good Company

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Middletown, PA

ProsNice base salary with comission

Conslong hours door to door sales basically a second shift job

Great place to work, good work culture.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Sewickley, PA

ProsGreat company with stability and room to grow. Above average compensation with excellent benefits package.

ConsSpring is the busiest time of the year.

Don't bother unless you only have a GED and are capable only of pushing a wheelbarrow all day.

Territory Service Representative (Former Employee) Wixom, MI

ProsWorking outside in blistering heat and freezing cold...if you're into that sort of thing. Getting a leg workout. Exposing yourself to pesticides and chemicals that can vastly improve your health and chances of cancer...

ConsEverything else. Chinese overtime. LOTS of hours. Salary job that only lets you finish the day if your SALES quotas are enough. They use dollar amounts for each stop to calculate daily goals. Total BS.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower level management are just people trying to make money to feed families, but they are forced to treat employees pretty badly to meet their own goals, usually not inline with the other workers.

Character building, to say the least.

Tech (Former Employee) Greenfield, IN

ProsWork at your own pace.

Minimal micro-management.

Work outside.

Can make commission.

Learn about lawn care and maintenance.

ConsRain or shine, sleet or snow, you are going out.

Seasonal.

Weather.

Have to make up for lacking Techs.

6 day work week.

Crooked overtime pay scale.

No room for growth.

Under prices lawns being sold to meet goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the Techs who can't make their goals, and stop making the ones who do produce have play catch up.

Don't stop providing water in the middle of the summer.

Set more realistic expectations for the customer. Nobody has a golf course after 2-3 treatments.

Pay employees the correct overtime rate.

Worked for Scotts Lawn Service? Contribute to the Community!