Scotts Miracle-Gro

Updated January 24, 2015
3.3

Scotts Miracle-Gro Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Hagedorn
Jim Hagedorn

Pros
  • Great Staff, Good Pay, and a Great Culture (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, most of the people good to work with, good wage (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during lawn and garden season (in 11 reviews)

• Work/life balance for field people was very tough (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible job

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rarely seeing managers during the week

Cons

Money is a joke . Managers are worthless . They do nothing to boost sales but get the end of the year bonus while the merchandisers and counselors do all the work . No benefits , no gas reimbursement . Working around all the chemicals will make you sick . Job ends within 3 months .

Get rid of Sales Managers . They no longer can do ordering so whats the point ?

High Turnover

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The one big pro is they try and take care of their employees physical health. They have a great onsite gym, medical facilities, pool and they try and do right by also having other perqs that many companies do not have anymore. However see the Con!

Cons

The work environment is awful, HUGE turnover. Upper management is always changing the game. Delayering, then giving the wrong people the power over others. No wonder most people only stay 2-4 years! Good luck to anyone working there, they will eat you up and spit you back out!

REALLY look at who is doing the work, what needs to be done and don't put all your faith in the system. Actually look at the real work that is being done and how, not just how few people can we have do this job?

Scotts Miracle-Gro Response

Oct 30, 2014Director

Thank you for your honest Feedback. Turnover at Scotts is actually at the low end for our industry and our average employee longevity is more than 5 years.

Scotts has gone in the toilet. Stay away.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are very consistent on getting your well earned paycheck to you on time. Absolutely nothing else is good about this company.

Cons

The Management at Scotts has turned almost hostile toward their loyal hard working employees. Not only are they now tracking their employees by GPS, they treat their Sales Force like second class citizens. You can do 999 things correctly and 1 thing wrong and they will rip you on the 1 mistake. If you're looking for a career that's full of frustration, being unappreciated, working in a hazardous environment with little chance to get ahead, sign up. This wasn't always the case. They only care about what Wall Street tells them to do. A once great company has turned into a slave driving uncaring bunch of egotistical VP's run a mock. What a shame!

Remember who helped build this company in the past 20 years. Management needs to thank you employees more than a token once a year for busting their tails to turn a profit. Don't forget where YOU came from!

horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

insurance was good so was the 401k

Cons

disrespectful no matter how hard u worked ur never apperated got fired for one simple mistake they said the had to make an example of me

sucks only care about there fat checks and sure not the employees

I never have been treated so bad

Former Employee - Telemarketer Sales in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Telemarketer Sales in Elgin, IL

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None! No pros about working for this turn over mill.

Cons

They turn over every salesman so they don't have to pay commissions. They treat you like you don't matter. Out of 16 in our training class only 1 was still employed after 3 months when I was let go.

Does this company have any real managers?

Unethical

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about this job was it was close to home

Cons

Management only cared about themselves , even though they say they care about the employees.

Get rid of plant manager and supervisors since they don't know anything

It used to be a great company to work for....

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Fair bonus structure if in the northern 2/3's of the country. Recently added a program to support community/charitable events.

Cons

Company is having a hard time competing in southern markets and finding conpetent leadership direction in these markets. Again great company in northern markets. Work/life balance unfavorable.

Invest more to support field positions in southern region, acknowledge failed strategies and hold regional ledership accountable.

Giving up your hopes and dreams

Current Employee - Merchandiser (MC) in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Merchandiser (MC) in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro about this company is that my hourly wage was sufficient at $14/hr. My manager always let me have the most hours out of the season.

Cons

HR department is worthless and don't care if you have worked for the company for years. I have never been given a verbal warning or even been written up. My track record for the last 3+ years have been perfect. I have never even called off sick for work in my 3+ years. I have been an extremely worthy employee for this company. The career opportunities for this company is crap. I applied for a job in Kentucky a couple months ago and had an interview the next day after I had applied. The interview went well and they said there wouldn't be any problem with me being hired for the position. A couple days later I saw the same position for sales manager in Cincinnati, Ohio. Since it was in the same state that I reside, I decided to apply for that job and withdraw my application from the job in Kentucky. I gave my reasons for withdrawing from the job to the company and still no call from the HR department for an interview for the job in Cincinnati. My district manager knew about my application and wondered why I haven't had my interview yet. So he called them and told me what HR said. They said, "We're not going to go any further with him in the application process because of the discrepancy from another job he applied for in Kentucky." That's bull crap!!!!! My manager shrugged it off and didn't fight for me!!!! He said that there was nothing he can do about it. I worked my ass off to get this job and now HR want's to use an irrelevant excuse to disqualify me as a competent applicant? That's a load of crap. I'm pretty sure that violates the EEOC act. Overall, I had all the necessary qualifications for the job, including academic experience, and more than enough field experience.

Utilize the employees that are actually doing their job right and hire them for jobs they are already competent to perform. Treat your employees like people not like a piece of paper. There are hard-working employees, such as myself, that have been working hard for opportunities. So let them have a chance to prove themselves.

Fiction has become real- 1984

Current Employee - Sales Manager in None (Italy)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in None (Italy)

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health Benefits. Vacation time accrued throughout the year.

Cons

In the field we don't receive the same respect that Marysville does. Super long hours (70+) just to get walks completed. Company doesn't really care about your family or obligations when in the field. Managers are considered 24 hour workers period. Regions are not measured appropriately so Florida works ALL year without a break while NE and others gather cash and do NOTHING!!

Get rid of 'directors'. Positions that cost us a bundle and only tick people off!
    Start treating us in the field like the managers we are! Stop degrading us. Stop re-structuring and allow and bit of settle.
    Most of all- stop treating us like we're idiots! It will come and bite you!

Awful Company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Parker, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Parker, CO

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Money is really good if you can sell. Benefits kick in after 90 days. Thats about it.

Cons

Highest turnover rate i've ever seen. We started the year with 30 people and now they are down to 11 employees in the sales department. That doesnt include all the people that quit. They tell you monday-friday but since I have been there (2 years) we have had a total of 2 saturdays off that werent a holiday weekend. They will use you all spring and then look for any reason to fire you by the end of the year so they dont have to pay you all of your back end commission.

Treat your employees like people, not robots.

Scotts Miracle-Gro Photos