Scotts Miracle-Gro

Scotts Miracle-Gro Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Scotts Miracle-Gro Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Hagedorn

Jim Hagedorn

Pros
  • Great Staff, Good Pay, and a Great Culture(in 10 reviews)

• Provides good benefits to employees and good work environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours and no chance to make any decent money for at least 3 months(in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes difficult to achieve work/ life balance(in 5 reviews)

High Turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe one big pro is they try and take care of their employees physical health. They have a great onsite gym, medical facilities, pool and they try and do right by also having other perqs that many companies do not have anymore. However see the Con!

ConsThe work environment is awful, HUGE turnover. Upper management is always changing the game. Delayering, then giving the wrong people the power over others. No wonder most people only stay 2-4 years! Good luck to anyone working there, they will eat you up and spit you back out!

Advice to Senior ManagementREALLY look at who is doing the work, what needs to be done and don't put all your faith in the system. Actually look at the real work that is being done and how, not just how few people can we have do this job?

Scotts has gone in the toilet. Stay away.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThey are very consistent on getting your well earned paycheck to you on time. Absolutely nothing else is good about this company.

ConsThe Management at Scotts has turned almost hostile toward their loyal hard working employees. Not only are they now tracking their employees by GPS, they treat their Sales Force like second class citizens. You can do 999 things correctly and 1 thing wrong and they will rip you on the 1 mistake. If you're looking for a career that's full of frustration, being unappreciated, working in a hazardous environment with little chance to get ahead, sign up. This wasn't always the case. They only care about what Wall Street tells them to do. A once great company has turned into a slave driving uncaring bunch of egotistical VP's run a mock. What a shame!

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who helped build this company in the past 20 years. Management needs to thank you employees more than a token once a year for busting their tails to turn a profit. Don't forget where YOU came from!

horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orrville, OH

Prosinsurance was good so was the 401k

Consdisrespectful no matter how hard u worked ur never apperated got fired for one simple mistake they said the had to make an example of me

Advice to Senior Managementsucks only care about there fat checks and sure not the employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I never have been treated so bad

Telemarketer Sales (Former Employee) Elgin, IL

ProsNone! No pros about working for this turn over mill.

ConsThey turn over every salesman so they don't have to pay commissions. They treat you like you don't matter. Out of 16 in our training class only 1 was still employed after 3 months when I was let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoes this company have any real managers?

Unethical

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only good thing about this job was it was close to home

ConsManagement only cared about themselves , even though they say they care about the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of plant manager and supervisors since they don't know anything

It used to be a great company to work for....

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsDecent benefits. Fair bonus structure if in the northern 2/3's of the country. Recently added a program to support community/charitable events.

ConsCompany is having a hard time competing in southern markets and finding conpetent leadership direction in these markets. Again great company in northern markets. Work/life balance unfavorable.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more to support field positions in southern region, acknowledge failed strategies and hold regional ledership accountable.

Giving up your hopes and dreams

Merchandiser (MC) (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe only pro about this company is that my hourly wage was sufficient at $14/hr. My manager always let me have the most hours out of the season.

ConsHR department is worthless and don't care if you have worked for the company for years. I have never been given a verbal warning or even been written up. My track record for the last 3+ years have been perfect. I have never even called off sick for work in my 3+ years. I have been an extremely worthy employee for this company. The career opportunities for this company is crap. I applied for a job in Kentucky a couple months ago and had an interview the next day after I had applied. The interview went well and they said there wouldn't be any problem with me being hired for the position. A couple days later I saw the same position for sales manager in Cincinnati, Ohio. Since it was in the same state that I reside, I decided to apply for that job and withdraw my application from the job in Kentucky. I gave my reasons for withdrawing from the job to the company and still no call from the HR department for an interview for the job in Cincinnati. My district manager knew about my application and wondered why I haven't had my interview yet. So he called them and told me what HR said. They said, "We're not going to go any further with him in the application process because of the discrepancy from another job he applied for in Kentucky." That's bull crap!!!!! My manager shrugged it off and didn't fight for me!!!! He said that there was nothing he can do about it. I worked my ass off to get this job and now HR want's to use an irrelevant excuse to disqualify me as a competent applicant? That's a load of crap. I'm pretty sure that violates the EEOC act. Overall, I had all the necessary qualifications for the job, including academic experience, and more than enough field experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the employees that are actually doing their job right and hire them for jobs they are already competent to perform. Treat your employees like people not like a piece of paper. There are hard-working employees, such as myself, that have been working hard for opportunities. So let them have a chance to prove themselves.

Fiction has become real- 1984

Sales Manager (Current Employee) None (Italy)

ProsHealth Benefits. Vacation time accrued throughout the year.

ConsIn the field we don't receive the same respect that Marysville does. Super long hours (70+) just to get walks completed. Company doesn't really care about your family or obligations when in the field. Managers are considered 24 hour workers period. Regions are not measured appropriately so Florida works ALL year without a break while NE and others gather cash and do NOTHING!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of 'directors'. Positions that cost us a bundle and only tick people off!
    Start treating us in the field like the managers we are! Stop degrading us. Stop re-structuring and allow and bit of settle.
    Most of all- stop treating us like we're idiots! It will come and bite you!

Awful Company to work for

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Parker, CO

ProsMoney is really good if you can sell. Benefits kick in after 90 days. Thats about it.

ConsHighest turnover rate i've ever seen. We started the year with 30 people and now they are down to 11 employees in the sales department. That doesnt include all the people that quit. They tell you monday-friday but since I have been there (2 years) we have had a total of 2 saturdays off that werent a holiday weekend. They will use you all spring and then look for any reason to fire you by the end of the year so they dont have to pay you all of your back end commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people, not robots.

WHO'S MY MANAGER?

Merchandiser (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Proslow supervision, decent pay, great for people that like to be treated like slaves.

ConsThey doubled my cell phone bill and do not reinburse for this. They also do not reinburse for printer ink and paper (need this to print weekly activities). Do not reinburse for any tools or supplies that are needed for your job (knives, blades, tape, gloves, tools, cleaning supplies and the list goes on.
    Cincinnati area seems as though they like to change managers often. Been with the company a year and a half and have had three managers. The managers and assiociates laugh at us and place bets to see how long a manager will last in his or her position.
    Told they will keep you till december but lie and lay you off in auguest. They also say they want to hire you year round and just lie so you don't quit. They also say they will give you Cincinnati Reds tix as a reward and do not. This season and last it was ran by a seasonal guy that they have been lying to as well. He does a good job but he shouldn't be doing a managers job. The list goes on....
    Managers say they will be there to help in the stores and either don't show up or are late. When they arrive they are dressed to not work and don't want to get dirty. Then they take a two hour lunch, come back and take an hour and half conference call. Just stay home and let us do YOUR job!!!!
    Again, I could go on and on.....

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job and quit lying. Do not just throw our products any where you want, stores chew our asses and hate Scotts for doing this. Reinburse for supplies, including cell phone bills. Need an incentive plan to make us work harder. Need a full time merchandiser in this area. More communication and help in the stores. Too much expected with the little help and communication.

Worked for Scotts Miracle-Gro? Contribute to the Community!