Scotts Miracle-Gro Reviews

Reset
3.2
Scotts Miracle-Gro Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Hagedorn
Jim Hagedorn

Pros
  • Great Staff, Good Pay, and a Great Culture (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, most of the people good to work with, good wage (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during lawn and garden season (in 11 reviews)

• Work/life balance for field people was very tough (in 6 reviews)

Challegening enviornment and hours, but you are paid for it.

Former Employee - Director of Strategy in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Director of Strategy in Marysville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Pros

Leading company in its industry, unparalleled compensation in Columbus, OH. Many opportunities for growth without having to leave Columbus.

Cons

Unfriendly workplace, very challenging atmosphere. Turnover is very frequent at Scotts. VPs don't last more than a few years. The culture is aggressive and in your face. Be prepared to defend your opinions and be challenged at every turn.

Advice to Management

Decision making is done in a "seat of the pants" type of environment. More attention needs to be given to analytics and supporting data. Concepts such as accountability and ownership are 4-letter words at Scotts.

Incompetent managers, a plethora of unnecessary meetings, highly charged political environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Pros

Scotts is a very fast-paced environment - - sink or swim, no on-boarding. It can be very exciting to work at Scotts for the right personality. Also, the company's products are truly good quality and it makes one feel good that they are part of adding quality products into the market.

Cons

It's not Scotts' 'sink or swim' culture that's the problem. It's the 'good ole boy' network from the top to the bottom that creates an artificial environment of politics. It's all about winning favor with the right people - otherwise you will not be rewarded and may even be penalized because of where you stand politically (that is - who in the high ranks likes and supports you as an employee). And, Scotts promotes the 'forced ranking' performance review system. Not every manager uses forced ranking. Its manager's discretion on what degree to use forced ranking. So, if you work for the wrong manager, and let's say - in a department of about 5-15 people, he or she ranks everyone from 'best' to 'worst' and puts the 'worst' on a performance improvement plan. Don't worry - you don't actually get fired. It's just part of the system at Scotts that some managers use. However, remember the 'good ole boy' network? Where you stand every year in your manager's forced ranking is dependent on how you're viewed by the network - not by your performance. You can do the best job, and if you don't get the right alignment politically within the company - guess where you will stand at the end of the year? One has to deal with company politics everywhere, but at Scotts, I felt like the politics and aligning with the 'right' people was much more the job than the work that I was hired to do. If you're good with corporate politics, this is a place for you. If not, you may find the environment very frustrating in that whatever you do, you cannot get a 'pat on the back' saying 'good job'.

Advice to Management

In terms of managers who have direct reports, please make sure to hire competent people - people have experience and utilize modern methods in managing their employees. To some degree, employees should be able to respect the manager for competence, knowledge, mentorship. If employees believe that the manager is more incompetent than all of the employees in the department, then that is a bad manager.

3. I would not recommend this position to anyone

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Pros

-Growth potential -Commission is pretty fair -They will hire almost anyone who is presentable -If your successful (which most people are not) they cater to your needs

Cons

Door-to-door sales in areas that are constantly filled with solicitors Hours are extremely demanding Cold Calling previous cancels

Very Political. Expected to work 60+ hours a week. EGO DRIVEN COMPANY!!

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Pros

Salary is good and it the company has a well known brand name. Corporate office has a lot to offer (gym, gardening, etc) Benefits are good A lot of company holidays

Cons

Very political. A lot of no-body's at the leadership level. Very aggressive work environment. Unrealistic sales growth expectations outlined year after year. Company instantly begins laying off people after a year that they miss their goal Everyone in the company thinks they are better than everyone else which leads to lack of collaboration Poor management styles, especially in the remote offices

Advice to Management

Start listening to those you manager and take their feedback to heart. They are the ones working for you.

6. It's a high turnover sausage factory.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Pros

Best health and dental and overall benefits in the business.

Cons

Nobody allowed to stay long enough to reap the best benefits. Inner circle members and anointed ones are the only ones who get the opportunity to make real commission. Managers take the credit for all awards and accolades, and give none to the troops.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they deserve. Quit telling them they have a career when they are shown the door just before being eligible for benefits. Good salesmen do not necessarily make good managers. Pick managers and leaders to manage and lead.

not a good company

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

get all the over time you want during the busy season.

Cons

as soon as the busy season slowes, you get riffed.

Advice to Management

dont treat your employees like a number.

started great but ended bad

Former Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many any more used to be a great company loved its customers and employees

Cons

Not worried about doing a good job just the bottom line at any expense. Look at track record and recent fines.

Advice to Management

Go back to the customer first attitude that was there in 2006 and remember your front line employees are who get the job done. Their safety should be primary and not just in words but actions also.

9. WHO'S MY MANAGER?

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro part-time (More than a year)

Pros

low supervision, decent pay, great for people that like to be treated like slaves.

Cons

They doubled my cell phone bill and do not reinburse for this. They also do not reinburse for printer ink and paper (need this to print weekly activities). Do not reinburse for any tools or supplies that are needed for your job (knives, blades, tape, gloves, tools, cleaning supplies and the list goes on. Cincinnati area seems as though they like to change managers often. Been with the company a year and a half and have had three managers. The managers and assiociates laugh at us and place bets to see how long a manager will last in his or her position. Told they will keep you till december but lie and lay you off in auguest. They also say they want to hire you year round and just lie so you don't quit. They also say they will give you Cincinnati Reds tix as a reward and do not. This season and last it was ran by a seasonal guy that they have been lying to as well. He does a good job but he shouldn't be doing a managers job. The list goes on.... Managers say they will be there to help in the stores and either don't show up or are late. When they arrive they are dressed to not work and don't want to get dirty. Then they take a two hour lunch, come back and take an hour and half conference call. Just stay home and let us do YOUR job!!!! Again, I could go on and on.....

Advice to Management

Do your job and quit lying. Do not just throw our products any where you want, stores chew our asses and hate Scotts for doing this. Reinburse for supplies, including cell phone bills. Need an incentive plan to make us work harder. Need a full time merchandiser in this area. More communication and help in the stores. Too much expected with the little help and communication.

10. Awful Company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Parker, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Parker, CO

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money is really good if you can sell. Benefits kick in after 90 days. Thats about it.

Cons

Highest turnover rate i've ever seen. We started the year with 30 people and now they are down to 11 employees in the sales department. That doesnt include all the people that quit. They tell you monday-friday but since I have been there (2 years) we have had a total of 2 saturdays off that werent a holiday weekend. They will use you all spring and then look for any reason to fire you by the end of the year so they dont have to pay you all of your back end commission.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people, not robots.

Giving up your hopes and dreams

Current Employee - Merchandiser (MC) in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Merchandiser (MC) in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro about this company is that my hourly wage was sufficient at $14/hr. My manager always let me have the most hours out of the season.

Cons

HR department is worthless and don't care if you have worked for the company for years. I have never been given a verbal warning or even been written up. My track record for the last 3+ years have been perfect. I have never even called off sick for work in my 3+ years. I have been an extremely worthy employee for this company. The career opportunities for this company is crap. I applied for a job in Kentucky a couple months ago and had an interview the next day after I had applied. The interview went well and they said there wouldn't be any problem with me being hired for the position. A couple days later I saw the same position for sales manager in Cincinnati, Ohio. Since it was in the same state that I reside, I decided to apply for that job and withdraw my application from the job in Kentucky. I gave my reasons for withdrawing from the job to the company and still no call from the HR department for an interview for the job in Cincinnati. My district manager knew about my application and wondered why I haven't had my interview yet. So he called them and told me what HR said. They said, "We're not going to go any further with him in the application process because of the discrepancy from another job he applied for in Kentucky." That's bull crap!!!!! My manager shrugged it off and didn't fight for me!!!! He said that there was nothing he can do about it. I worked my ass off to get this job and now HR want's to use an irrelevant excuse to disqualify me as a competent applicant? That's a load of crap. I'm pretty sure that violates the EEOC act. Overall, I had all the necessary qualifications for the job, including academic experience, and more than enough field experience.

Advice to Management

Utilize the employees that are actually doing their job right and hire them for jobs they are already competent to perform. Treat your employees like people not like a piece of paper. There are hard-working employees, such as myself, that have been working hard for opportunities. So let them have a chance to prove themselves.

RSS Feed </> Embed