Scottsdale Insurance

Scottsdale Insurance Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

Mike Miller

A great company overall; they're trying not to succumb to the typical Corporate mentality

Current Employee - Administration  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Administration in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Scottsdale Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that I work with are truly the best in the business. They're knowlegeable, supportive and great at what they do. Incredible tenure among associates. Community involvement is highly stressed, and volunteer opportunities are made available constantly. Very comprehensive benefit package, time off is accrued and starts day one. Overall sense of teamwork throughout the different Divisions. Beautiful facility, recently updated and remodeled. Onsite full-service cafe and underground parking (very important in the Valley of the Sun!)

Cons

With the exception of lateral moves, there's not much room for growth if you're in an administrative capacity, unless you're interested in the insurance field itself (which I am not). While the vast majority of people I've dealt with are dedicated and of very high quality, there are a few who don't seem to fall into that category and I'm not sure how they got to be in any kind of authoritative position.

Executives, communicate closely with your managers to make sure those on the "front lines" are being treated fairly. Get the whole story, get involved, don't leave it all to your direct reports.

Decent company, great team

I worked at Scottsdale Insurance

Pros

Good team and decent company to work with.

Cons

No great growth prospects in IT department, not sure about other departments.

Sad story, company declining, hostile takeover by parent company.

Current Employee - Leader  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Leader in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Scottsdale Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company was built by people who value people. Excellent work life balance, flex work, health & wellness, values based culture, community involvement, beautiful complex on golf course, full benefits package, competitive compensation, training and opportunities to learn and grow for employees. Strong brand in excess and surplus lines.

Cons

Parent company oversight and mandate for consistency has crushed this jewel of a company. Matrix reporting over used to the extent that valuable functions such as IT, Finance, Claims, HR are hamstrung to do what is right for the business. Talented leaders and associates are leaving daily for opportunities to do their best work elsewhere. IT systems behind the times. This ship is going down after 30 years of success.

Update your resumes or accelerate your retirement plans.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissapointing experience, would not recommend

Former Employee - Senior Claim Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Claim Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Scottsdale Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and knowledgeable resource personnel to provide technical assistance on complex claims in various states.

Cons

Unreasonable workloads, nitpicking to nth degree on file audits, maximum 2 percent raises no matter how well work is completed, chronic employee turnover problems that create extra work for those left behind and indifferent mentality of managers.

A Lot Of Internal Politics

Former Employee - Claim Specialist  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Claim Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Scottsdale Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location. Initial pay is good. Many people (not management) are very intelligent and skilled at their jobs.

Cons

Heavy internal politics, Management clashes with themselves and with parent company, Nationwide. Initial pay good but raises limited to 2% or less. Claim file review methodology creates as stressful environment with the sole intent to limit employee raises. They can't find replacement employees fast enough.

My advice to anyone looking for employment at Scottsdale is to consider taking the job for a year or two if you are desperate enough and plan on getting out at the end of your second year. The office politics are getting in the way of productivity. I stayed one year too many.

Nationwide Cube Zombies

I worked at Scottsdale Insurance

Pros

formerly a great company
    nice building

Cons

micro managment
    weak upper level management that caters to the nationwide mothership
    excessive turnover
    constant change at the direction of the latest imported exec from Ohio/Nationwide
    excessive and unrealistic workloads
    excessive meetings
    understaffed
    always looking to reinvent the wheel

It was a good learning experience

I worked at Scottsdale Insurance

Pros

The learning curve is not very steep. You can learn as you go about your work.

Cons

The pay per hour for interns is less

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Consultant, IT Project Management  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Consultant, IT Project Management in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Scottsdale Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Strong work-life balance. Collaborative. Stable industry and company

Cons

Similar so any company.. It is work and your manager can significantly influence how job satisfaction... I have had a really bad one and they keep promoting him.. They don't hold people very accountable.

Diversity is a joke.

I have been working at Scottsdale Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Reasonably good benefits, if you can understand them. No one on site to help with any issues. All of that resides in Ohio. Decent work environment, if you don't mind conducting work in a call center cube farm. Trying to underwrite high value accounts with FAC and not being able to concentrate because of the noise around you and requesting that the "white noise" be turned up to high to help is what we deal with daily. The fact that we have white noise is just funny. Baby boomers are over looked for their expertise and other value for Gen X and Y who are the entitled generation and immediately dismiss them as the "old" people who know nothing. Training is adequate. But as an FYI, you have to have a degree to get in the door...unless you know someone.

Cons

See the somewhat tongue in cheek comments above. For a multi-billion dollar company to play political games and posturing to appease Nationwide rather than maintain their own branding is something I can't comprehend.

Listen more to your associates. They are the reason you are where you are.

Finance Supervisor

I worked at Scottsdale Insurance

Pros

Great people, flexible schedules, great advancement

Cons

Nationwide Insurance interference with the Scottsdale Insurance culture.

Keep the Scottsdale culture

Worked for Scottsdale Insurance? Contribute to the Community!