Scoular Company

www.scoular.com

Scoular Company Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Charles (Chuck) Elsea

Pros
  • The benefits package is what this company uses to keep employees around for as long as they can(in 8 reviews)

• Great opportunity to learn from senior management(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No one want's to be the "bad guy" in order to weed out middle management problems that are contributing to the high turn over rate(in 9 reviews)

• This company has an invasive middle management problem(in 7 reviews)

A complete disaster. The worst job I've ever held.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe view from the Marquette building was nice and there were some free basketball tickets every so often. My coworkers were great to work with. Lots of team work.

ConsThe turnover rate is high. It's very high. I was fired after only 4 months for no apparent reason. I had to fight for unemployment, but it was an easy win since this company has a bad rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome changes need to be made at this company. Maybe a fresh start with updated infrastructure.

Merchandiser

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFlexibility in business development, laid back atmosphere

Consold technology, not very progressive culture in management, not well organized from a career development stand point.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus more on your potentials than your hasbeens.

Scoular Company VP, Talent & Human Resources responded to this review

Jun 3, 2013

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you the like the atmosphere in our Minneapolis office. I would like to learn more about what you are looking for from a career development standpoint. We are ... More

Struggling

Logistics (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsSupport staff receives a yearly bonus based off how much you make per hour. Sales staff gets bonus' based off how much they "sell." The family friendly and vacation friendly staff varies by department. Be sure to inquire as to how the department you're interviewing functions. New Oracle computer system is being implemented and is expected to be up and running within the year.

ConsNon professional work place "bullying" is fairly rampant among the "old boys club." If you are a women, your merit will not be based off hard work as much as who you've become friends with within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider implementing gender equality courses before someone sues the company for unfair treatment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Family Company

Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFamily Friendly
    Nice New Office Downtown Minneapolis
    Co-Workers
    Opportunity
    Parking reimbursement allowance

ConsOlder based software (Suppose to have company wide make over in Fall/Winter 2013)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue giving all employees opportunities to speak with mid/upper management.

Excellent career based workplace--working out the kinks

Merchant Assistant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsMy boss hired me with little/no industry experience because my skills and aptitudes fit the position they were looking to fill. I am astonished by how few companies do this in this day and age--I had been turned down by job after job because I had no experience. I can't praise my team at Scoular enough for the initiative they put into recruiting young people and training them into their careers. Although I am entry-level and in a support staff position, since I have started my group has showed me that their priority is developing my roll in a way which both suits my aptitudes and my interests.

I was hired with a competitive salary and a full benefits package. The social environment is friendly and the company is not shy about putting money toward social events for its employees. The office is clean and lovely, supplies of any kind are easily made available, and the schedule is flexible and accommodating.

ConsThere is a bit of an "old school" vibe still alive at Scoular, despite the many progressive movements of the company. It is a commodity trading business, after all, so there is a fast-paced, high pressure environment around the goal of making money. I would say that the support staff is not always treated as respectfully as they should be, depending on the leadership in the group. The traders are given a lot of leeway to act as they see fit, and it can have the tendency to make those in support roles feel like they are under-valued. Upper management and HR take little interest in issues of workplace behavior between traders and support.

As mentioned by other reviewers on this website, some positions do seem like dead-ends. I would recommend to any reader considering an opportunity at Scoular to have a frank conversation with your contact to ensure that the position you are applying for is one with the potential for growth. I imagine this is the same with any other company: some groups are growing, some are dying, and some have been the same as they have been for the last 30 years. Support staff rarely make the jump to trading, so be aware of that if you are applying for an M.A. position with aspirations to sell grain.

Lastly, HR does not offer resources for lateral career development at Scoular, nor do they get involved in employee disputes. These two traditional roles of an HR department are vital, I believe, and I question why they are not in existence here now.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved and listen to your support staff a little more, consider incorporating some flexibility into the corporate hierarchy to promote more communication about job satisfaction, restructure HR to offer resources for more lateral and upward movement within groups.

Family company

IDS (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe people were the best and I worked in a fast paced environment. Participating in the global economy was the most exciting thing. Exporting to 8-9 countries in Asia out of North and South America was a great experience. I only had to leave because the Navy transferred my wife. I wish I was still employed at this exceptional company because I could have really grown my career there.

ConsThe computer systems were not the most up-to-date. HR department confused me quit a bit with my benefits, but it I admit it is not my area of expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing with new technology and teaching your people for the ever increase business challenges that face us today.

Large, stable company

Marketing (Current Employee) Urbandale, IA

ProsGood pay, full benefits package, great coworkers. I enjoy the diverse workload, and that my boss is great at assigning work that both fits our talents and is what we enjoy doing.

ConsSome of the computer systems are outdated but still functional. Otherwise all is good.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince our employees are in 70+ locations, it is important that we occasionally hear from the CEO and Officers.

just held on long enough to find a better job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsOne can gain some experience in the work place from working at Scoular Company. This is really the only benefit that I can list for this category.

ConsThis would have to be the worst job that I've ever had.
    -below average pay
    -need to pay for parking
    -middle management seems very unqualified
    -no training program

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start a training program for new employees. I was just tossed into the water and expected to swim.

Just a step in the wrong direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThere are some nice perks when it comes to getting parking credit in downtown Minneapolis. I found this to be a helpful bonus when I decided to take the bus during the harsher winter months.

ConsSome other reviews on this side did point out that the turn around time is rather short. I couldn't agree more. This company doesn't seem to have much to offer when it comes to holding employees. Many faces come and go within a couple months and I worked in a small office setting. Anyone probably has a 25% chance of staying with Scoular for more than 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere seems to be a breakdown in communication going around with middle management area. I'm sure some reorganization would be an order.

I'm wondering why this company is still in business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsStandard health benefits and some free tickets to sports events are given out from time to time. Coworkers can be great if they stay with the company.

ConsNobody stays with this company long term. I worked with Scoular for 6 months and that seems to be long term from what I saw. The company still operates like it's the year 1995. I'm not sure why they haven't invested in their infrastructure yet. Oh well.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy the high turn over rate? Is it really worth all the training just to lay off workers months later?

Worked for Scoular Company? Contribute to the Community!