Scoular Company

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Charles (Chuck) Elsea

It was ok

ProsThey are in downtown Minneapolis

ConsUnfortunatly the compensation was bad

Challenging career opportunities for driven individuals with rewarding results

Merchandiser (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

Prosexcellent incentive packages for top performers
    competitive salary for agriculture industry
    big opportunities for advancement
    company is aggressively seeking growth
    Employee owned
    Culture
    Chance to use entrepreneurial skills

ConsCan be hard to maintain the correct work/life balance with demanding positions
    Training program had a tough start, but recent changes seem to have improved its effectiveness

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to offer young employees opportunity for growth
    Make investments in new technology

Growing Company, good opportunities

Merchandiser (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat opportunity to learn from senior management
    High pace work environment and good culture
    Rewarded for working hard and achieving results
    Allowed to take on new challenges

ConsCurrently upgrading older technology so can be challenging to manage new systems

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This was my experience with Scoular Co.

Documentation Specialist (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe perks that come with Scoular Co are in the sleek underground parking. This does come at a price since the parking fee will be deducted from each paycheck. Coffee and water are always available along with Advil for the headaches that come from hours upon hours of looking at a computer screen.

ConsThis has to be the strangest company that I every worked for. I'm not sure how to best describe the atmosphere. Maybe just one word: -uneasy-. My superior would constantly make up stories about me, pay is poor, benefits are somewhat fine and the work is rather dull. I've moved on to a much better job since this one and I can now see this company for what it truly is.

Advice to Senior ManagementI could give some good advice on how to turn this company around, but I'm certain that it would just fall on deaf ears. Get with the times. It's not Y2K anymore.

.... no one want's to be the "bad guy"

Logistics (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsOpportunity to learn. I entered this industry green so the educational facet of this company was appealing and the main reason for my longevity.

Minneapolis office which is downtown, nice location.

A new computer system is being introduced to Scoular in 2014. OTM otherwise known as Oracle Transportation Management.

ConsThis company has an invasive middle management problem. There is too much emphasis on being "friends" then doing what's right for the company as a whole. No one want's to be the "bad guy" in order to weed out middle management problems that are contributing to the high turn over rate.

Scoular also requires each applicant to complete a P.I., or personality assessment test. Supposedly the results are used to decide whether you have the right personality for the job. With such a high turn over rate I question it's usefulness and validity - though I've seen a lot of emphasis being put on it's results.

No where to go. There is no where to move to in this company unless you are friends (or related) to management. Period. It doesn't matter if you put 10 years of your life into this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the CEO of this company visit more than once a year and ask questions about the reasoning behind the complaints I see on this site. If he doesn't know about them, then a way needs to be created in order for these complaints to be voiced.

Perhaps, encourage communication between HR and workers via newsletters regarding what HR's purpose is and what rights each employee's rights are.

Discipline middle management who are not acting in the best interest of the companies long term interests and encourage exemplary managers who are serving as role models.

This is one bad company. I still make fun of it to this day.

International Documentation Specialist (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsCoworkers really understand the frustration of working with incompetent middle management and outdated systems. The lunch room has a large TV to watch during breaks.

ConsThe salary you will get is low in comparison to other similar companies. You'll be working with outdated systems all the time (Win2000, banking software from the 70s etc...). You need to pay for parking, but the company comps some of it. Middle management will make up stories to blame you for their own errors.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop blaming your underlings for your mistakes. Get rid of the old banking software. Please treat your employees with respect.

Just plain disgusting

Minneapolis, MN

ProsI can't really think of much to say for the "pro" column for this company. It's worth it not to have a gap in my resume. Benefits are nice to have along with an OK view from my cube when I stand up.

ConsSalary is below average and not sufficient enough to cover the headaches that you'll have with middle management. Turn over rate is on the high end. I'm starting a new job at the end of November and I'm so eager to leave this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with some much deserved respect. The training I received was just plain awful. You need to spark a training program or you'll just continue to burn through employees faster than you can replace them.

I tried to stay so positive about this job, but it just wasn't worth it.

International Documents Specialist (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsSteady paycheck, good lunchroom, office cubes were clean and copy machine was up to date. Very useful to have that copy machine for printing BLs.

ConsPay was lower than average for a similar job, middle management couldn't manage, lots of disorganization, turn over rate is high, location of building is at the far end of the bus route. I would not recommend this job to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some skills about managing employees. There has to be some incentive to stay with the company. This company clearly has no values. I felt like I was just hanging on to

Minneapolis, MN

Pros-Nice physical work environment
    -Good benefits
    - Friendly coworkers

Cons-Management is disorganized
    - Expectations are too high for the salary you will receive
    - Work processes are frustratingly inefficient

Advice to Senior Management-Take some risks and modernize your company
    -Treat entry-level employees with more respect

Flag Review
    Scoular Company VP, Talent & Human Resources responded to this review Jul 24, 2013 EditDelete
    Thanks for the Feedback. I understand some of our existing systems can be frustrating. We value input from employees. This input has helped us design proprietary technology systems in the past, and ... More

A complete disaster. The worst job I've ever held.

Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe view from the Marquette building was nice and there were some free basketball tickets every so often. My coworkers were great to work with. Lots of team work.

ConsThe turnover rate is high. It's very high. I was fired after only 4 months for no apparent reason. I had to fight for unemployment, but it was an easy win since this company has a bad rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome changes need to be made at this company. Maybe a fresh start with updated infrastructure.

Worked for Scoular Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scoular Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scoular Company CEO Charles (Chuck) Elsea. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Scoular Company employees.