Scoular Company

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.4

Charles (Chuck) Elsea

Pros
  • The benefits package is what this company uses to keep employees around for as long as they can (in 8 reviews)

• Great opportunity to learn from senior management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No one want's to be the "bad guy" in order to weed out middle management problems that are contributing to the high turn over rate (in 9 reviews)

• This company has an invasive middle management problem (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great pay and advancement opportunity

Former Employee - Business Manager Trainee
    Former Employee - Business Manager Trainee

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay
    Company is rapidly growing with good leaders

Cons

Locations are rural, remote, and terrible
    They expect a lot of hours out of you during harvest seasons (60+/week)

Don't overwork new employees
    Give new employees more options on locations

I've had worse jobs

Current Employee - Logistics
    Current Employee - Logistics

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great IT and accounting support.

Cons

Each location is treated as it's own business unit. Which is wonderful for the manager of that location, but the people below the managers, are tied to do what's best for the unit versus what's best for the company. I saw other locations doing business outside of the company, because their bottom line would be better (thus a better bonus for them) while other locations suffered/lost money because of that. Reviews were spotty at best. 7 years, and I received 3 reviews, none of which resulted in any sort of increase, because "I received a huge salary when I started." When a vacation was taken, by any employee, when you came back from vacation, you were on the 'we're out to get you list'. Middle management made lower management/hourly employees scared to voice concerns/complaints by threats of 'the next person that goes to HR will be gone before they know it'.

You have the ability to be a great company. Good people are hired, and quit because they aren't respected or appreciated. Talking about how great an employee is, but when positions become available, you bring in another employee or an outside employee, and expect the existing people to train them is not the way to retain loyal employees. Allow employees to review their managers. Question why employees have good reviews and haven't received raises. When you have long term employees leave, an exit interview would be a helpful tool.

Going nowhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, fun community atmosphere and events, flexible scheduling

Cons

I wrote a review about 1.5 years ago on here with my starry eyed excitement about where my position was going. Since then the rug has really been ripped out from under me.

In my experience opportunity for advancement has been used as a bribing tool to keep me from quitting, but seems to be bottom of the priority barrel when it comes to actually making strides. Management will spread support staff as thin as possible before hiring relief or investing in operational corrections for the benefit of the "bottom line." My responsibilities have expanded rapidly but my title and compensation has not changed. My reaction to my situation, ranging from restricted productivity to requesting meetings to discuss solutions, has been met with harsh criticism and threats of corrective action.

The turnover rate at our office is very high. The company is limping along with seasoned salespeople but green green support who do not understand the outdated systems. At this rate, this pattern is only going to get worse. Eventually the company will feel the effects, who knows what they will do about it then.

There's a reason you can't keep support staff for more than 2 years. Look into it.

could have been better

Former Employee - International Documents Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - International Documents Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I did like the free coffee and satellite TV during lunch. The facility was nice and well kept, but it was just a cube farm.

Cons

You will be able to find better compensation at other companies. The work could really use some kind of shadow or training program. There is a lot of banking jargon to get used to. I was overwhelmed with work at first and couldn't get any help. My boss gave me grief over any day off that I requested.

Please look into a training program.

It was ok

I worked at Scoular Company full-time

Pros

They are in downtown Minneapolis

Cons

Unfortunatly the compensation was bad

Challenging career opportunities for driven individuals with rewarding results

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

excellent incentive packages for top performers
    competitive salary for agriculture industry
    big opportunities for advancement
    company is aggressively seeking growth
    Employee owned
    Culture
    Chance to use entrepreneurial skills

Cons

Can be hard to maintain the correct work/life balance with demanding positions
    Training program had a tough start, but recent changes seem to have improved its effectiveness

Continue to offer young employees opportunity for growth
    Make investments in new technology

Growing Company, good opportunities

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn from senior management
    High pace work environment and good culture
    Rewarded for working hard and achieving results
    Allowed to take on new challenges

Cons

Currently upgrading older technology so can be challenging to manage new systems

This was my experience with Scoular Co.

Former Employee - Documentation Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Documentation Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The perks that come with Scoular Co are in the sleek underground parking. This does come at a price since the parking fee will be deducted from each paycheck. Coffee and water are always available along with Advil for the headaches that come from hours upon hours of looking at a computer screen.

Cons

This has to be the strangest company that I every worked for. I'm not sure how to best describe the atmosphere. Maybe just one word: -uneasy-. My superior would constantly make up stories about me, pay is poor, benefits are somewhat fine and the work is rather dull. I've moved on to a much better job since this one and I can now see this company for what it truly is.

I could give some good advice on how to turn this company around, but I'm certain that it would just fall on deaf ears. Get with the times. It's not Y2K anymore.

.... no one want's to be the "bad guy"

Current Employee - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn. I entered this industry green so the educational facet of this company was appealing and the main reason for my longevity.

Minneapolis office which is downtown, nice location.

A new computer system is being introduced to Scoular in 2014. OTM otherwise known as Oracle Transportation Management.

Cons

This company has an invasive middle management problem. There is too much emphasis on being "friends" then doing what's right for the company as a whole. No one want's to be the "bad guy" in order to weed out middle management problems that are contributing to the high turn over rate.

Scoular also requires each applicant to complete a P.I., or personality assessment test. Supposedly the results are used to decide whether you have the right personality for the job. With such a high turn over rate I question it's usefulness and validity - though I've seen a lot of emphasis being put on it's results.

No where to go. There is no where to move to in this company unless you are friends (or related) to management. Period. It doesn't matter if you put 10 years of your life into this company.

Have the CEO of this company visit more than once a year and ask questions about the reasoning behind the complaints I see on this site. If he doesn't know about them, then a way needs to be created in order for these complaints to be voiced.

Perhaps, encourage communication between HR and workers via newsletters regarding what HR's purpose is and what rights each employee's rights are.

Discipline middle management who are not acting in the best interest of the companies long term interests and encourage exemplary managers who are serving as role models.

This is one bad company. I still make fun of it to this day.

Former Employee - International Documentation Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - International Documentation Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers really understand the frustration of working with incompetent middle management and outdated systems. The lunch room has a large TV to watch during breaks.

Cons

The salary you will get is low in comparison to other similar companies. You'll be working with outdated systems all the time (Win2000, banking software from the 70s etc...). You need to pay for parking, but the company comps some of it. Middle management will make up stories to blame you for their own errors.

Please stop blaming your underlings for your mistakes. Get rid of the old banking software. Please treat your employees with respect.