Scoular Company Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

I worked at Scoular Company full-time

Pros

-Nice physical work environment
    -Good benefits
    - Friendly coworkers

Cons

-Management is disorganized
    - Expectations are too high for the salary you will receive
    - Work processes are frustratingly inefficient

Advice to Management

-Take some risks and modernize your company
    -Treat entry-level employees with more respect

Scoular Company Response

Jul 24, 2013VP, Talent & Human Resources

Thanks for the Feedback. I understand some of our existing systems can be frustrating. We value input from employees. This input has helped us design proprietary technology systems in the past, and ... More

A complete disaster. The worst job I've ever held.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The view from the Marquette building was nice and there were some free basketball tickets every so often. My coworkers were great to work with. Lots of team work.

Cons

The turnover rate is high. It's very high. I was fired after only 4 months for no apparent reason. I had to fight for unemployment, but it was an easy win since this company has a bad rep.

Advice to Management

Some changes need to be made at this company. Maybe a fresh start with updated infrastructure.

its an OK company

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

family like
    laid back
    work is not too hard

Cons

no career development
    no consistent training system
    pay is not worth the work

Advice to Management

develop a consistent useful training system

5. Merchandiser

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in business development, laid back atmosphere

Cons

old technology, not very progressive culture in management, not well organized from a career development stand point.

Advice to Management

focus more on your potentials than your hasbeens.

Scoular Company Response

Jun 3, 2013VP, Talent & Human Resources

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you the like the atmosphere in our Minneapolis office. I would like to learn more about what you are looking for from a career development standpoint. We are ... More

Struggling

Current Employee - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Logistics in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Support staff receives a yearly bonus based off how much you make per hour. Sales staff gets bonus' based off how much they "sell." The family friendly and vacation friendly staff varies by department. Be sure to inquire as to how the department you're interviewing functions. New Oracle computer system is being implemented and is expected to be up and running within the year.

Cons

Non professional work place "bullying" is fairly rampant among the "old boys club." If you are a women, your merit will not be based off hard work as much as who you've become friends with within the company.

Advice to Management

Consider implementing gender equality courses before someone sues the company for unfair treatment.

7. Great Family Company

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family Friendly
    Nice New Office Downtown Minneapolis
    Co-Workers
    Opportunity
    Parking reimbursement allowance

Cons

Older based software (Suppose to have company wide make over in Fall/Winter 2013)

Advice to Management

Continue giving all employees opportunities to speak with mid/upper management.

Excellent career based workplace--working out the kinks

Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My boss hired me with little/no industry experience because my skills and aptitudes fit the position they were looking to fill. I am astonished by how few companies do this in this day and age--I had been turned down by job after job because I had no experience. I can't praise my team at Scoular enough for the initiative they put into recruiting young people and training them into their careers. Although I am entry-level and in a support staff position, since I have started my group has showed me that their priority is developing my roll in a way which both suits my aptitudes and my interests.

I was hired with a competitive salary and a full benefits package. The social environment is friendly and the company is not shy about putting money toward social events for its employees. The office is clean and lovely, supplies of any kind are easily made available, and the schedule is flexible and accommodating.

Cons

There is a bit of an "old school" vibe still alive at Scoular, despite the many progressive movements of the company. It is a commodity trading business, after all, so there is a fast-paced, high pressure environment around the goal of making money. I would say that the support staff is not always treated as respectfully as they should be, depending on the leadership in the group. The traders are given a lot of leeway to act as they see fit, and it can have the tendency to make those in support roles feel like they are under-valued. Upper management and HR take little interest in issues of workplace behavior between traders and support.

As mentioned by other reviewers on this website, some positions do seem like dead-ends. I would recommend to any reader considering an opportunity at Scoular to have a frank conversation with your contact to ensure that the position you are applying for is one with the potential for growth. I imagine this is the same with any other company: some groups are growing, some are dying, and some have been the same as they have been for the last 30 years. Support staff rarely make the jump to trading, so be aware of that if you are applying for an M.A. position with aspirations to sell grain.

Lastly, HR does not offer resources for lateral career development at Scoular, nor do they get involved in employee disputes. These two traditional roles of an HR department are vital, I believe, and I question why they are not in existence here now.

Advice to Management

Get involved and listen to your support staff a little more, consider incorporating some flexibility into the corporate hierarchy to promote more communication about job satisfaction, restructure HR to offer resources for more lateral and upward movement within groups.

9. Family company

Former Employee - IDS in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IDS in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were the best and I worked in a fast paced environment. Participating in the global economy was the most exciting thing. Exporting to 8-9 countries in Asia out of North and South America was a great experience. I only had to leave because the Navy transferred my wife. I wish I was still employed at this exceptional company because I could have really grown my career there.

Cons

The computer systems were not the most up-to-date. HR department confused me quit a bit with my benefits, but it I admit it is not my area of expertise.

Advice to Management

Keep growing with new technology and teaching your people for the ever increase business challenges that face us today.

10. just held on long enough to find a better job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One can gain some experience in the work place from working at Scoular Company. This is really the only benefit that I can list for this category.

Cons

This would have to be the worst job that I've ever had.
    -below average pay
    -need to pay for parking
    -middle management seems very unqualified
    -no training program

Advice to Management

Please start a training program for new employees. I was just tossed into the water and expected to swim.

Large, stable company

Current Employee - Marketing in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, full benefits package, great coworkers. I enjoy the diverse workload, and that my boss is great at assigning work that both fits our talents and is what we enjoy doing.

Cons

Some of the computer systems are outdated but still functional. Otherwise all is good.

Advice to Management

Since our employees are in 70+ locations, it is important that we occasionally hear from the CEO and Officers.

RSS Feed </> Embed