Scoular Company

Employer Engaged

Great Family Company

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family Friendly
    Nice New Office Downtown Minneapolis
    Co-Workers
    Opportunity
    Parking reimbursement allowance

Cons

Older based software (Suppose to have company wide make over in Fall/Winter 2013)

Continue giving all employees opportunities to speak with mid/upper management.

Excellent career based workplace--working out the kinks

Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My boss hired me with little/no industry experience because my skills and aptitudes fit the position they were looking to fill. I am astonished by how few companies do this in this day and age--I had been turned down by job after job because I had no experience. I can't praise my team at Scoular enough for the initiative they put into recruiting young people and training them into their careers. Although I am entry-level and in a support staff position, since I have started my group has showed me that their priority is developing my roll in a way which both suits my aptitudes and my interests.

I was hired with a competitive salary and a full benefits package. The social environment is friendly and the company is not shy about putting money toward social events for its employees. The office is clean and lovely, supplies of any kind are easily made available, and the schedule is flexible and accommodating.

Cons

There is a bit of an "old school" vibe still alive at Scoular, despite the many progressive movements of the company. It is a commodity trading business, after all, so there is a fast-paced, high pressure environment around the goal of making money. I would say that the support staff is not always treated as respectfully as they should be, depending on the leadership in the group. The traders are given a lot of leeway to act as they see fit, and it can have the tendency to make those in support roles feel like they are under-valued. Upper management and HR take little interest in issues of workplace behavior between traders and support.

As mentioned by other reviewers on this website, some positions do seem like dead-ends. I would recommend to any reader considering an opportunity at Scoular to have a frank conversation with your contact to ensure that the position you are applying for is one with the potential for growth. I imagine this is the same with any other company: some groups are growing, some are dying, and some have been the same as they have been for the last 30 years. Support staff rarely make the jump to trading, so be aware of that if you are applying for an M.A. position with aspirations to sell grain.

Lastly, HR does not offer resources for lateral career development at Scoular, nor do they get involved in employee disputes. These two traditional roles of an HR department are vital, I believe, and I question why they are not in existence here now.

Get involved and listen to your support staff a little more, consider incorporating some flexibility into the corporate hierarchy to promote more communication about job satisfaction, restructure HR to offer resources for more lateral and upward movement within groups.

Family company

Former Employee - IDS in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IDS in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people were the best and I worked in a fast paced environment. Participating in the global economy was the most exciting thing. Exporting to 8-9 countries in Asia out of North and South America was a great experience. I only had to leave because the Navy transferred my wife. I wish I was still employed at this exceptional company because I could have really grown my career there.

Cons

The computer systems were not the most up-to-date. HR department confused me quit a bit with my benefits, but it I admit it is not my area of expertise.

Keep growing with new technology and teaching your people for the ever increase business challenges that face us today.

Large, stable company

Current Employee - Marketing in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, full benefits package, great coworkers. I enjoy the diverse workload, and that my boss is great at assigning work that both fits our talents and is what we enjoy doing.

Cons

Some of the computer systems are outdated but still functional. Otherwise all is good.

Since our employees are in 70+ locations, it is important that we occasionally hear from the CEO and Officers.

just held on long enough to find a better job

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One can gain some experience in the work place from working at Scoular Company. This is really the only benefit that I can list for this category.

Cons

This would have to be the worst job that I've ever had.
    -below average pay
    -need to pay for parking
    -middle management seems very unqualified
    -no training program

Please start a training program for new employees. I was just tossed into the water and expected to swim.

Just a step in the wrong direction.

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some nice perks when it comes to getting parking credit in downtown Minneapolis. I found this to be a helpful bonus when I decided to take the bus during the harsher winter months.

Cons

Some other reviews on this side did point out that the turn around time is rather short. I couldn't agree more. This company doesn't seem to have much to offer when it comes to holding employees. Many faces come and go within a couple months and I worked in a small office setting. Anyone probably has a 25% chance of staying with Scoular for more than 6 months.

There seems to be a breakdown in communication going around with middle management area. I'm sure some reorganization would be an order.

I'm wondering why this company is still in business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Standard health benefits and some free tickets to sports events are given out from time to time. Coworkers can be great if they stay with the company.

Cons

Nobody stays with this company long term. I worked with Scoular for 6 months and that seems to be long term from what I saw. The company still operates like it's the year 1995. I'm not sure why they haven't invested in their infrastructure yet. Oh well.

Why the high turn over rate? Is it really worth all the training just to lay off workers months later?

Documentation Specialist

I worked at Scoular Company

Pros

The company has very good benefits. Very friendly co workers. Location in minneapolis was very nice.

Cons

Very political. You are either part of the "click" or you're always on the outside. Felt very micromanaged. Salary was just assumed, never had a chanace to discuss this. Entry level employees are looked down upon. Very high turnover rate.

Empower your employees to do their job and trust that they will.

Worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not much to say for the pros column. Some of my coworkers were great and easy to get along with. They have some employee parties that can be good fun.

Cons

Pay is low, parking is cramped, technology is outdated, benefits are so so, middle management blamed me for any small thing that went wrong, they are not family oriented, few vacation days, schedule is very rigid, work is repetitive and the environment is rather toxic.

A terrible mess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I did win some tickets to a timber wolves game twice. It was fun to go out after work with some coworkers.

Cons

Salary is below average. Parking is cramped. Computers and computer systems are old and outdated. Middle management is just a terrible mess.

Revamp what was mentioned in the cons section. It's time for an overhaul. I was Ok with still using windows xp and 2000 from time to time, but the management needs to be trained.