Scoular Company

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.4

Charles (Chuck) Elsea

Pros
  • The benefits package is what this company uses to keep employees around for as long as they can (in 8 reviews)

• Great opportunity to learn from senior management (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No one want's to be the "bad guy" in order to weed out middle management problems that are contributing to the high turn over rate (in 9 reviews)

• This company has an invasive middle management problem (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Large, stable company

Current Employee - Marketing in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, full benefits package, great coworkers. I enjoy the diverse workload, and that my boss is great at assigning work that both fits our talents and is what we enjoy doing.

Cons

Some of the computer systems are outdated but still functional. Otherwise all is good.

Since our employees are in 70+ locations, it is important that we occasionally hear from the CEO and Officers.

just held on long enough to find a better job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One can gain some experience in the work place from working at Scoular Company. This is really the only benefit that I can list for this category.

Cons

This would have to be the worst job that I've ever had.
    -below average pay
    -need to pay for parking
    -middle management seems very unqualified
    -no training program

Please start a training program for new employees. I was just tossed into the water and expected to swim.

Just a step in the wrong direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some nice perks when it comes to getting parking credit in downtown Minneapolis. I found this to be a helpful bonus when I decided to take the bus during the harsher winter months.

Cons

Some other reviews on this side did point out that the turn around time is rather short. I couldn't agree more. This company doesn't seem to have much to offer when it comes to holding employees. Many faces come and go within a couple months and I worked in a small office setting. Anyone probably has a 25% chance of staying with Scoular for more than 6 months.

There seems to be a breakdown in communication going around with middle management area. I'm sure some reorganization would be an order.

I'm wondering why this company is still in business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Standard health benefits and some free tickets to sports events are given out from time to time. Coworkers can be great if they stay with the company.

Cons

Nobody stays with this company long term. I worked with Scoular for 6 months and that seems to be long term from what I saw. The company still operates like it's the year 1995. I'm not sure why they haven't invested in their infrastructure yet. Oh well.

Why the high turn over rate? Is it really worth all the training just to lay off workers months later?

Documentation Specialist

I worked at Scoular Company

Pros

The company has very good benefits. Very friendly co workers. Location in minneapolis was very nice.

Cons

Very political. You are either part of the "click" or you're always on the outside. Felt very micromanaged. Salary was just assumed, never had a chanace to discuss this. Entry level employees are looked down upon. Very high turnover rate.

Empower your employees to do their job and trust that they will.

A terrible mess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I did win some tickets to a timber wolves game twice. It was fun to go out after work with some coworkers.

Cons

Salary is below average. Parking is cramped. Computers and computer systems are old and outdated. Middle management is just a terrible mess.

Revamp what was mentioned in the cons section. It's time for an overhaul. I was Ok with still using windows xp and 2000 from time to time, but the management needs to be trained.

Worst company I ever worked for

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not much to say for the pros column. Some of my coworkers were great and easy to get along with. They have some employee parties that can be good fun.

Cons

Pay is low, parking is cramped, technology is outdated, benefits are so so, middle management blamed me for any small thing that went wrong, they are not family oriented, few vacation days, schedule is very rigid, work is repetitive and the environment is rather toxic.

Perhaps the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - International Documents Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - International Documents Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Offices are fairly nice, and from time to time there were free tickets to local sporting events

Cons

I'm trying to avoid hyperbole here, but honestly, my boss might have been one of the worst human beings I've ever met. She seems to feel that hurling verbal abuse is the most effective way to motivate employees. She would criticize everything from the length of my bathroom breaks to the penmanship of my signature on documents. I discussed the matter with her boss, who shrugged it off and said that I needed to deal with it myself. Compensation was very low, and turnover was high. Temporary employees had to pay for parking out of pocket, which adds up fast in downtown Minneapolis.

Start monitoring some of the lower-mid level managers and consider cleaning house.

Turnover rate is very very high

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is more of just a stepping stone than an actual career path. The experience was worth the effort until I could move onto bigger better things.

Cons

As the title suggests, the turnover rate is quite high in comparison to anything I have ever seen in the past. While I was only at this job for ~6 months, several employees came and went. Management and leadership are essentially non-existent.

Someone has to be able to step up and make decisions here.

Awesome people to work with and fast paced environment.

Current Employee - International Documents Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - International Documents Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people. Fast paced job. Small company offers the opportunity to make awesome connections. Opportunity to learn many parts of the supply chain.

Cons

Outdated technology. Could start a career development program.