Screenvision

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
2.5

Travis Reid

It's a solid place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Northeast, NY

I have been working at Screenvision

Pros

I was an Account Executive for this company for 2.5 years. You work from home and make your own hours pretty much. You receive a base salary and generous commission for local business sales. You also receive a blackberry and a car allowance. You can also expense business trips.

Cons

Unrealistic weekly quotas. You're expected to make a sale every week and if you don't management makes you feel like you took the week off. You also have a quota for weekly meetings (10 face to face meetings) that must be logged into their CRM
    software.
     There is micromanaging that happens if you're not selling but if you sell consistently you
    are left alone for the most part.

Please make your sales and meeting quotas more realalistic. This will make for better relationships between your employees and their managers.

Poor Reviews are just sour grapes

I worked at Screenvision

Pros

Reps can work from a home office. They are given a lot of support from their Regional Managers and from the Regional office. New reps are given excellent training and all of the tools to be successful. Those that gave negative reviews on here clearly could not sell. Management gives clear expectations to be successful. Never micro-managed but if you want to be successful, you listen and adopt. If you don't, you ignore and then complain.

Cons

Weekly goals are very stressful. You feel like you can never have an off week. You could tell that my Manager was getting a lot of pressure from above. National ads take priority over local so you couldn't count on your clients being in the position where you sold them. I think they are working on that though.

Great environment for sales people to thrive

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Screenvision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The local management team are always there to support you and they really know a great deal about selling to B and C type businesses. It starts with the training which is 4 days of real in depth sales and product instruction and then you are out in the field. If you are prepared to put in the hours you will reap all the rewards. The company has been going through a merger and its been a little tough but management is very supporting and understanding.

Cons

It would be great to see other team members on a more regular basis.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Excellent company to work for!

I have been working at Screenvision full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love that I am supported yet encouraged to blaze my own trail to obtain a new client. Higher than average base salary for sales reps, expenses completely reimbursed - and quickly - and, I'm not micromanaged (therefore, I am most successful!)

Cons

Upper level management is a bit disorganized, forgetful, and overworked. But constantly supportive and encouraging.

I could use more scheduled support and guidance, and defining lines on whom to call upon. I would like to be supported when going after the big fish, vs waiting for an unorganized out of state rep to get the business for us.

The worst job experience of my life

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Screenvision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home.
    Medical/Dental benefits are o.k. They provide cell phone and reimburse internet which is good.
    Coworkers were a great group of people.

Cons

It doesn't seem to matter how much business you write--it's never enough. They're on you every minute. Renewal/existing business is considered useless to management. If it's not brand new business that you're putting in they assume you're not working. They want you to sign up new clients and forget about them after that. Customer service is non-existent.

Micromanaging employees is not the way to go. It will backfire every time.
    Treat existing clients as if they matter. In most media industries existing clients make up 80% of all revenue.
    Care about the results (or lack of) that clients are getting. It's not acceptable to promise clients certain positioning in the preshow and then bury them 25 minutes out, filling the prime spots with all national ads.

Not many complaints.....veteran...been here for years.....not leaving unless they ask me to

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Screenvision full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

salary good, bonuses decent, hours good, direct report is nice

Cons

bonus could be better.......extra days off sometimes would be nice especially during Christmas/comp time

pay bonuses quicker

One of the Worst Experiences of My Life

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Screenvision full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The check clears... that's it. Really. This site is requesting that I submit 20 or more words but that's all I got. Seriously. THE.CHECK.CLEARS.

Cons

EVERYTHING! Management is clueless. Absolutely clueless. Outside of a handful of people, the place is overrun with incompetence. Complete and utter incompetence. I'm still here because looking for another job takes time.

They should ALL be fired. Hardly anyone considered "top tier" has earned that position on merit and hard work. A real bunch of morons.

A frustrating product on a local level with sizable, non-commissionable production fees that stole from employees.

Former Employee - Local AE in Wahoo, NE
    Former Employee - Local AE in Wahoo, NE

I worked at Screenvision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Working out of home.
    -Being able to craft your own schedule, in what typically is a large territory (most reps had sizable territories).
    -Region manager(s) were helpful, particularly in the region I was based, despite the heavy-handedness that originated from New York from C.M. I understand not all regions had region managers that were good. At least mine were always eager to help out in any way they could. I now realize I might have been incredibly lucky there.

Cons

-New York's complete lack of understanding of the local advertising dynamic. They weren't even curious, even though those of us who lived in the localities served had a deep understanding of market dynamics.
    -The arbitrary confluence of weekly revenue goal(s) when juxtaposed with local ad rates.
    -The local rates themselves.
    -The fight for accounts between regional sales execs and the local account execs in the same territory, especially when in a territory with perhaps one credible medium-to-large market with a SV presence.
    -CRM. The software, the hardware, everything. CRM was never a credible tool for the reps, all it was used as was for upper management in New York to see whether you were making enough calls on the week. You couldn't update in the field, you had to use those stupid Blackberries to tether to the CRM portal on the computer desktop site. It was horribly outdated, and pathetically inefficient. When I got home after a few hundred miles of driving (no joke) to meet potential on-screen clients, the last thing I wanted to do was fight with that rotten-to-the-core CRM. Even the inventor of CRM admits its use in all industries has evolved to something far from his original intent. With as large of territories that SV had, especially between the coasts, they needed total mobile integration for their field reps. Sadly, they failed, because they didn't care/understand their reps' needs.
    -Client production fees that basically stripped the AE of commissionable revenue. $450 for a transpose fee, when NCM's was $250? $700-$800 production fees? In many smaller markets, of which SV had many, that added cost both a) killed deals, and b) made a lot of reps lose a lot of money, because they had to be amenable on rate in order to facilitate production into the whole deal. Those rates didn't make sense, either, since Technicolor was an investor. I believe it was to provide a more rosy revenues-against-expenses picture to investors, since the intent of the private equity interests that held SV was to eventually sell it off to another company anyway.
    -Local business ad positioning that basically cut, by at least half, the amount of people who might see the business' ad. Local ads always got the shaft, even though that as a percentage of their ad budget, they were throwing a lot more of their available ad money to the theater than national ads, who paid far, far less on aggregate for their adjacent-to-showtime placement. Local ads rarely, if ever, got the favored treatment the large regional/national ads did.
    What SV didn't understand was that local AE's were THE FACE for Screenvision in the local community, thus SV, at its core, needed to be a LOCAL advertising vehicle that helped local businesses get their message conveyed on-screen. When no local ads received the same favorable treatment as the national campaign that might pay $.02 for every ad play in the local cineplex, I knew that it was time to leave the company. Local businesses were expected to shell out far more dollars per ad play, and receive far worse ad placements, than multi-market/regional/national ads that were bought by agencies. If you're a company that preaches the value of your advertising product on a local level, then practice something directly opposite, that's an unforgivable sin. Other forms of electronic media do not practice that method.
    -For travel reimbursements, you had to go through their byzantine labrinth of procedures, before and after the trip, in order for approval, and then reimbursement. Again, it was laborious when it didn't need to be. If you had a large territory, I would say it wasn't worth it, if it meant you had to tear up your car on the road.

You scramble like hell to help your clients, and do the things that would increase your chances of attaining repeat business. You can aggregate your overall sales to between 80-90% of your stated goal, and when you subtract out the uncommissionable revenues, the extra windshield time, the drumbeat of down-the-chain pressures for revenue goals from NY, the hassles of their outdated and horribly inconvenient CRM system (and complete lack of total mobile integration work tools for their AE's), and their lack of curiosity from those same AE's...it turned out to become less than enjoyable. And for much less than 40K/year, for a much greater than 80% to-goal rate, not counting expenses like car wear, it didn't make financial sense either.

Which sounds about right for a company that was driven only to achieve a high sale price that the company could return to investors. This was no media company. This was plundering the work force in order to hit revenue targets to achieve a sale price.

(Oh yeah, insurance sucked too. Dental especially. They decided to go through Prudential for that, instead of a doctor-built dental benefits plan, like Delta Dental.)

Yeah. (This is for the NY folks, and you know who you are.) Stay away from all media, and stay away from sales that has to differentiate market value between local, regional, and national. Because you all are horribly pathetic at what it means to sell value and quality (and honesty) to local, small town to medium-market businesses.
    But if you must remain in media sales, do more to demonstrate how you value your reps in the field. Because it wasn't much to begin with, and your lip service was noticeably transparent in your patronizing abilities.
    This is why I decided to post, but I sincerely hope that no one at NCM considers the executives in New York in charge of the Local AE and SAE divisions qualified to hold positions with the merged company. Because if so, God speed, NCM. You'll need it.

(Overall ratings of three stars includes the 1.5 stars I give just to the local regional managers and office staff. They were great. If they were a separate category, I'd give them four stars.
    Otherwise, the overall rating would be a sub-two stars.)

Good place to work

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Screenvision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting product that hits home with a lot of SMBs and Government agencies. It was a very easy product for me to sell. However, others have not been as successful. It takes a special type of personality that self manages well to shine at this company. However, most people do keep their jobs and employee retention is very fair.

Cons

Management and the entire organization loved me. I had the most freedom and trust from them. However, the reason I left is because the client renewal rates were less than 30%. The reason for that is because the prime time advertising slots were sold only to national buyers. Local client ads were delivered 25-10 minutes before showtime, and it was not as effective. I do not know if they have changed this.

Increase the salary for your AEs. They are loyal and do a hard job. Everything else is fine. Oh and one more thing, pay commission on the launch fees and ad creations.

I really liked my management. Shout out to Rebecca Hartman, Scott Johnson, Rory Oldham, Tom Carlaccini, Bill Sapp, and HR department. Didn't know the CEO despite having worked at the top of my game for 5 years ... being an executive producer every year. Food for thought.

Waste of Effort and Enthusiasm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Screenvision full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only perk was they pay you for literally contributing nothing; also you can pretty much choose your job title because management won't say no. Nice view from the office (if you're a VP)

Cons

No professional or personal growth, severely under compensated, and socially inept coworkers. Trying to accomplish anything that involves working with your team or another department is like being in a middle school. People don't talk, don't care, and won't help. The overall atmosphere is negative and depressing.

Goal setting? Pep talks? Any employee appreciation would help.