Screenvision

2.1

Travis Reid

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

This is a company that rewards performers. I am a current employee with the local team in the company and I have found that senior management is very supportive of their sales people - often going the extra mile for them. The general feeling is one of support and making money for sales people. My current team members have also had a positive experience unless they were poor sales people and then they seem to just complain...

Cons

Working from home can sometimes be a challenge unless you are able to be self motivating. Sometimes paperwork is a bit too much

Upper management should continue to support the local sales team. They understand how to manage and reward great sales people.

Waste of Effort and Enthusiasm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The only perk was they pay you for literally contributing nothing; also you can pretty much choose your job title because management won't say no. Nice view from the office (if you're a VP)

Cons

No professional or personal growth, severely under compensated, and socially inept coworkers. Trying to accomplish anything that involves working with your team or another department is like being in a middle school. People don't talk, don't care, and won't help. The overall atmosphere is negative and depressing.

Goal setting? Pep talks? Any employee appreciation would help.

Unprofessional

Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

If you absolutely need a job.

Cons

One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Granted, I've worked for some great companies, so I may be biased. However, the base salary is very low and the commission structure isn't great.

Train your leadership! People who oversee others should have an understanding of how to motivate them, not make them want to quit.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A frustrating product on a local level with sizable, non-commissionable production fees that stole from employees.

Former Employee - Local AE  in  Wahoo, NE
    Former Employee - Local AE in Wahoo, NE

Pros

-Working out of home.
    -Being able to craft your own schedule, in what typically is a large territory (most reps had sizable territories).
    -Region manager(s) were helpful, particularly in the region I was based, despite the heavy-handedness that originated from New York from C.M. I understand not all regions had region managers that were good. At least mine were always eager to help out in any way they could. I now realize I might have been incredibly lucky there.

Cons

-New York's complete lack of understanding of the local advertising dynamic. They weren't even curious, even though those of us who lived in the localities served had a deep understanding of market dynamics.
    -The arbitrary confluence of weekly revenue goal(s) when juxtaposed with local ad rates.
    -The local rates themselves.
    -The fight for accounts between regional sales execs and the local account execs in the same territory, especially when in a territory with perhaps one credible medium-to-large market with a SV presence.
    -CRM. The software, the hardware, everything. CRM was never a credible tool for the reps, all it was used as was for upper management in New York to see whether you were making enough calls on the week. You couldn't update in the field, you had to use those stupid Blackberries to tether to the CRM portal on the computer desktop site. It was horribly outdated, and pathetically inefficient. When I got home after a few hundred miles of driving (no joke) to meet potential on-screen clients, the last thing I wanted to do was fight with that rotten-to-the-core CRM. Even the inventor of CRM admits its use in all industries has evolved to something far from his original intent. With as large of territories that SV had, especially between the coasts, they needed total mobile integration for their field reps. Sadly, they failed, because they didn't care/understand their reps' needs.
    -Client production fees that basically stripped the AE of commissionable revenue. $450 for a transpose fee, when NCM's was $250? $700-$800 production fees? In many smaller markets, of which SV had many, that added cost both a) killed deals, and b) made a lot of reps lose a lot of money, because they had to be amenable on rate in order to facilitate production into the whole deal. Those rates didn't make sense, either, since Technicolor was an investor. I believe it was to provide a more rosy revenues-against-expenses picture to investors, since the intent of the private equity interests that held SV was to eventually sell it off to another company anyway.
    -Local business ad positioning that basically cut, by at least half, the amount of people who might see the business' ad. Local ads always got the shaft, even though that as a percentage of their ad budget, they were throwing a lot more of their available ad money to the theater than national ads, who paid far, far less on aggregate for their adjacent-to-showtime placement. Local ads rarely, if ever, got the favored treatment the large regional/national ads did.
    What SV didn't understand was that local AE's were THE FACE for Screenvision in the local community, thus SV, at its core, needed to be a LOCAL advertising vehicle that helped local businesses get their message conveyed on-screen. When no local ads received the same favorable treatment as the national campaign that might pay $.02 for every ad play in the local cineplex, I knew that it was time to leave the company. Local businesses were expected to shell out far more dollars per ad play, and receive far worse ad placements, than multi-market/regional/national ads that were bought by agencies. If you're a company that preaches the value of your advertising product on a local level, then practice something directly opposite, that's an unforgivable sin. Other forms of electronic media do not practice that method.
    -For travel reimbursements, you had to go through their byzantine labrinth of procedures, before and after the trip, in order for approval, and then reimbursement. Again, it was laborious when it didn't need to be. If you had a large territory, I would say it wasn't worth it, if it meant you had to tear up your car on the road.

You scramble like hell to help your clients, and do the things that would increase your chances of attaining repeat business. You can aggregate your overall sales to between 80-90% of your stated goal, and when you subtract out the uncommissionable revenues, the extra windshield time, the drumbeat of down-the-chain pressures for revenue goals from NY, the hassles of their outdated and horribly inconvenient CRM system (and complete lack of total mobile integration work tools for their AE's), and their lack of curiosity from those same AE's...it turned out to become less than enjoyable. And for much less than 40K/year, for a much greater than 80% to-goal rate, not counting expenses like car wear, it didn't make financial sense either.

Which sounds about right for a company that was driven only to achieve a high sale price that the company could return to investors. This was no media company. This was plundering the work force in order to hit revenue targets to achieve a sale price.

(Oh yeah, insurance sucked too. Dental especially. They decided to go through Prudential for that, instead of a doctor-built dental benefits plan, like Delta Dental.)

Yeah. (This is for the NY folks, and you know who you are.) Stay away from all media, and stay away from sales that has to differentiate market value between local, regional, and national. Because you all are horribly pathetic at what it means to sell value and quality (and honesty) to local, small town to medium-market businesses.
    But if you must remain in media sales, do more to demonstrate how you value your reps in the field. Because it wasn't much to begin with, and your lip service was noticeably transparent in your patronizing abilities.
    This is why I decided to post, but I sincerely hope that no one at NCM considers the executives in New York in charge of the Local AE and SAE divisions qualified to hold positions with the merged company. Because if so, God speed, NCM. You'll need it.

(Overall ratings of three stars includes the 1.5 stars I give just to the local regional managers and office staff. They were great. If they were a separate category, I'd give them four stars.
    Otherwise, the overall rating would be a sub-two stars.)

Good place to work

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Exciting product that hits home with a lot of SMBs and Government agencies. It was a very easy product for me to sell. However, others have not been as successful. It takes a special type of personality that self manages well to shine at this company. However, most people do keep their jobs and employee retention is very fair.

Cons

Management and the entire organization loved me. I had the most freedom and trust from them. However, the reason I left is because the client renewal rates were less than 30%. The reason for that is because the prime time advertising slots were sold only to national buyers. Local client ads were delivered 25-10 minutes before showtime, and it was not as effective. I do not know if they have changed this.

Increase the salary for your AEs. They are loyal and do a hard job. Everything else is fine. Oh and one more thing, pay commission on the launch fees and ad creations.

I really liked my management. Shout out to Rebecca Hartman, Scott Johnson, Rory Oldham, Tom Carlaccini, Bill Sapp, and HR department. Didn't know the CEO despite having worked at the top of my game for 5 years ... being an executive producer every year. Food for thought.

Do not recommend this company...to ANYONE!!!

Former Employee - Sales

Pros

It is nice to work from home office, and while going through interview process, seemed too good to be true. Had three offers, Screenvision was one of them all at once. They really painted a rosy picture, but will say the salary, and allowances were all straight up, and job was clearly defined, management seemed up and up, and training was good.

Cons

Outside of your salary and gas, and internet allowances, commission structure is about the worse I have seen or worked for in my 27 year history of sales. Performance allowances are very difficult to achieve unless in large market, you have been given renewals, which adds onto your commissions and closer to performance bonuses. I had only a handful of renewals...and maybe when I started a total of 4 accounts on screen in this market...basically, was working this market from scratch, selling a medium many advertisers were unaware of, so the process took much longer than what it did in some markets where theater advertising is well known. I did enjoy, but the potential of making a lot of money was difficult. Working estimated 7 hours out in the field a day, and having to come home, email reports (which were getting worse every month it seemed), and along with that emailing proposals, putting together proposals, updating CRM, which was terrible and out of date...it would be many nights I was still at it until after 9pm. I finally realized for the amount of time I was putting in, and the pay...it wasn't adding up. Unless you have a husband/wife that is fully employed, and the money does not matter, as far as the amount of work you put in and what you bring home, it is great...and keep in mind what market you will be working. And ask to have in writing if you are inheriting any renewals, or if any accounts will be turned over to you when you start...I was told there would be, but they went to other reps in DIFFERENT MARKETS!!! Whatever. The salary is terrible, commissions are terrible, and depending on your market to max out on your bonus's is very difficult. And MICRO MICRO MICRO MANAGEMENT!!! Even though you are working out of your home office...they are on you like white on rice...all they are concerned with is what sale you have coming in next. Not a friendly work ethic, although the reps in my region were and seemed great...upper management, outside region, were out of touch with what was going on in each region...only numbers mattered!!! Hope after the buyout is final with NCM taking over, upper management is now looking for other work, as I have a good feeling many will be loosing their jobs.

Get a reality check. Try and remember back when you were "TRULY" out hustling out and working yourself to death to make a living. Work on following up with your reps concerns regarding clients and also your reps well being. Treat others the same...favoritism is so obvious it scary. I truly would not recommend working for this company.

going down for a reason

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Pros

You can come and go as you please since Senior Management is often not even around. You can also dress as you please since the standard set by Senior Management is quite low (sweatsuits when executives are not in the office). The support staff are great people - and deserve much better than they get.

Cons

Too many to list here ... terrible pay, no leadership, little to no communication from corporate and zero company morale, just to name a few. Except for a few exceptional staff members, most people do the minimal amount of work required of them - if that - basically only what will keep them employed. Employees don't care to work hard and achieve more because they know they will not be rewarded for their hard work. Who can blame them? Senior management spends more time socializing, gossiping, and cruising social media than they do actually working - yet complain constantly of how busy they are, and hand off more work to their reports. There are a few outstanding employees - just not sure why they have stuck around as long as they have.

Move on and get off your high horses. You're going to realize quite soon that your lack of ambition will not get you anywhere outside Screenvision. Good luck!

Run Run Run

Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Working from home is nice

Cons

Serious micro management, over the top quotas

Too many levels of management

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Production Coordinator  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Rochester, NY

Pros

Great Work/Life balance
    Great work environment

Cons

Not great pay, but it was an entry level position

Management incompetence.

Former Employee - Sales Representative In Local Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative In Local Sales in New York, NY

Pros

Work from home. Some of the sales people were the greatest I ever worked and I hope they have moved on to bigger and better opportunities.

Cons

Selling a product that destroys a small business' chances of ever promoting themselves. Management are all mostly ex Yellowbook employees and choose to look upon sales staff and customer base like cattle to be whipped and disposed of. Company wide morale was lowest I had ever experienced.

Create more of a team atmosphere between departments. Get rid of layer after layer of middle management and get back to taking care of small business who spend a great deal of their marketing budget only to get buried in a pre-show that has no intention of featuring them.

Worked for Screenvision? Contribute to the Community!