Screwfix Reviews

Screwfix CEO Andrew Livingston
Andrew Livingston

1. Easy and great fun

I have been working at Screwfix

Pros

Not much straining work tobdo

Cons

Customers expect you to know alot

None

2. Supervisor

I have been working at Screwfix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A laid back and easy job to most. You can wear jeans and have a laugh in work.

Cons

Freezing warehouse in the winter, not aloud the heating on, customers complaining of the cold. Upper management is rather poor and childish and sometimes the rotas are 9/10 days in a row, 8+ hours a day

3. One of the best retail companies to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Screwfix

Pros

Very flexible retail job in terms of working hours.

Cons

The overall IT system is a bit backward in comparison with the other competitors.

5. Professional, consistent, excellent personal growth opportunities.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Brentwood, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Brentwood, England (UK)

I worked at Screwfix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Walk into one trade counter, walk into all of them. Everyone sings from same hymn sheet. Excellent standards in staff and trade counters alike. Great team spirit across the board. Good salaries, great opportunities for individuals and as teams.

Cons

Knowledge is key....know your products, know your customers. Working days are longer than they used to be. Cold in winter, hot in summer.

Keep doing what you are doing :-)

6. Part-time work: professional environment

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Screwfix part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close working relationship with colleagues
    Often collaborative atmosphere
    For full-time employees in particular management encourage development and internal career progression

Cons

Sometimes tasks can be repetitive
    Unfamiliar industry, although you are never expected to have industry knowledge you are primarily there for customer service

7. A roller coaster, not one ride is the same type of company where the majority of the store full timers have no education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working and opportunities to grow and develop.

Cons

Store finish times are too late for the kind of business and they are open too long during the holiday period which is a waste of time for the staff as there isn't mush to do but tidy and if you tidy as you go then you are stuck doing nothing. There is no equality in regards to working hours and management are allowed to take the mickey and even force you to work certain shifts especially lates when they themselves never set an example and do the same thing. It is a do as I say not as I do culture at Screwfix.

Who is really managing the management as it appears to be out of control, they take advantage of working hours, holidays and breaks. Talk down at staff and have no regard or respect for others. A review on the senior management need to be done, also CSSs are not paid enough for the work the do.

8. Awful managers. Dread going to work every day.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix

Pros

Nice co-workers. Nothing else unfortunately.

Cons

Dreadful management. Its like them (managers and supervisors) against the rest of the staff. We were told when we couldn't work over our eight hours one day that it was highly likely the manager would not let us pass our probation period. This was to all of us, even those on 12 and 20 hour contracts who had done more than enough overtime that week. Out of the ten people who started with me 8 of us are looking for other jobs after only two months. Managers/supervisors are often overheard gossiping about staff.
    The tills don't work more than they do work so customers are left waiting around for ages while the tills freeze and you have to do their orders all over again which is ridiculous and shouldn't happen in this day and age.
    Only half and hour lunch on full time hours and just one ten minute break when doing a six hour shift which is rubbish.
    When on a 7am shift we are told we should arrive at 645 ...why should we when we are paid from 7? I understand we need to be at our tills at 7 but they shouldn't tell us to get there fifteen minutes early. Also those of us on part time hours are put on the rota for loads of extra hours without being consulted first so childcare etc. is messed up.
    Supervisors stand around chatting but love being on a power trip telling other staff to go do something if they dare to chat to a colleague.

Like someone else on here said, the management need to be managed. Management need to act more professionally.

9. Some Area Managers dont live their "proposed" culture

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Screwfix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance,average salary

Cons

Poor upper management,cut throat when it suits them

live the values you propose within the companies culture

10. Not bad!

I worked at Screwfix part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy work, you can wear jeans and the uniform is pretty comfortable if you get the right pair of work boots. Hard labour, so good exercise! Will get you agile and fit especially in busy periods! Quite a laid back environment at my branch, the job got done but everybody had a laugh.

Cons

The computer systems are awful. They work on a centralised database, so when that goes down, the entire area network goes down.

We had no heating in the winter one year, and being in an uninsulated warehouse wearing nothing but a jumper was pretty bad. We were told we couldn't wear our coats but fortunately we could wear beanies and gloves. Still almost unbearable and I had to warm up in my car on my break!

Some of my supervisors were absolute idiots that had been there for a much shorter time than I had, and I ended up doing most of their tasks for them.

Your system looks good and does its job, but the computers it runs on are awful. Invest money in new computers for every branch that are capable of running the software without crashing every day!

Also store managers, make sure your supervisors actually know what they're doing and can do it well before you promote them!

11. A great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Yeovil, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast moving, innovative, honest, gutsy. A great team effort where employees are valued and their opinions listened to and acted upon.

Cons

May be too demanding for the lighthearted, so if you want an easy job with no challenge, then Screwfix is not for you.

Keep the pace and energy up - we love it!

Screwfix Photos