Scribd

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015
3.1

Trip Adler

Exciting times, new company!

I have been working at Scribd full-time

Pros

Morale of team: Scribd's ride has been the equivalent to a roller-coaster up until our book subscription service. However this new vision has given life to Scribd and it's employees. Churn is at an all time low, and people are genuinely motivated to create the best product for our users.

Design: Once again, prior to our subscription service, design was nearly an after thought, but we now have a full fledged design team with a VP of Design, 3 visual designers and a UX designer. Design is now an extremely important part in our product lifecycle.

Engineering: Lots of fun challenges, given the scale and the uniqueness of the problems we are trying to solve. It's not your simple CRUD app ;) We are trying to innovate in a book space that has been untapped, so you often won't find answers to our problems on Stack Overflow.

Competition: We now have some! When we were strictly a document sharing service, we were the only kids in the park, now we have some great competitors that make us even better. Not to mention it's extremely fun now ;)

Career Development: Scribd has been extremely kind in growing people's career, particularly the younger crowd. Typically engineers/designers/etc right out/few years out of school have things to prove, and if you harness that energy you can turn those employees into great mentors and leaders. Often hear from friends at other companies in which their managers don't care about their career, you won't run into this at Scribd.

Cons

Our headcount is growing. We are running into some communication issues that we are learning to correct, but often after the fact. This isn't a unique problem to Scribd, but hopefully we can get ahead of the curve here.

Additionally, I want to address the cons that other reviews left. Being here for more than 3 years I can confirm that some of these problems people described used to exist, keyword is USED. Given Scribd's new directions, management and fresh blood, I can say that most if not all the problems previously listed are gone.

Company is growing fast, so while it's difficult to stay transparent, it's extremely important. We are still a small company, and while it's important to stay transparent no matter what size of a company you are dealing with, it's even more important to stay transparent when it's expected in a small company.

Smart people, bad CEO

I have been working at Scribd full-time

Pros

SOME of the people here are extremely smart. Sabeen, head of engineering, has really turned this company around. If you want to work on a "Netflix for books", this is THE company to work for.

Finally, our support team is amazing.

Cons

Leadership is poor. It feels like Scribd is a toy for Trip to play with. There's no passion from him about improving the product. Things happen on a whim here; we made this change "because Trip wants it".

Company meetings are useless. No real information, lots of platitudes.

Overall, this is a great place to work if you want lots of free time to work on your own side projects at work. I don't know if anyone here believes in the future of the company.

- Fire Trip! Bring in someone who is actually passionate about the product.
    - Care about your users, stop making features because they look good to the board.

Low Morale, Bad Leadership

I worked at Scribd

Pros

- scribd is a decent first or second job in tech, lots of responsibility right off the bat
    - lots smart/talented/friendly coworkers. employees go out for coffee every day, there are also lectures, board game nights, and a book club.
    - great work/life balance. except for pushes around launches (which is normal), you won't be on call 24/7. leadership is generally supportive of side projects
    -the office is decently close to caltrain/bart
    - free food and regular happy hours

Cons

-Few opportunities to grow out of the role you were hired for, unless you're favored by leadership. Turnover in rest of the company is high, especially among top talent but leadership does not seem to be concerned.
    - Useless founders. Both let themselves get pushed around by VPs and seem to have no interest in running a company.
    -No product vision. The CEO only cares about PR. There's lots of infighting between teams.
    - morale is bad. People feel that major decisions are arbitrary and leadership does not allow criticism. When people leave they're discouraged from telling anyone which make morale worse
    - No matching contributions even after raising $22 million in latest funding round--that tells you how much employees are valued
    -equity dilution could be a problem after 7+ years w/ no IPO likely

- Come up with a clear product vision or find someone who will. The founders don't know what they're doing.
    - Recognize your employees! Thank them for their hard work and give them opportunities to learn/grow. Part of leading is making sure people feel valued and invested in their work.
    - Be honest when you make mistakes. Encourage people to question decisions.
    - Focus on beating the competition, not each other. Work to restore trust and collaboration between teams.
    - Remember you're building a product for users and not managers. Get to know the people who use your product and do more A/B testing rather than making arbitrary decisions

Immature

I worked at Scribd full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- good people
    - fun activities
    - talented coders
    - free food
    - Supportive of projects that you would want to work on the side, as long as you get all of your other work done

Cons

- some of the best people already left for google and other startups
    - Immaturity among top managers
    - the founder practices "The Game" and other pickup artist nonsense.
    - hard to lateral into other positions than what you were hired for
    - hard to get actual work done during the day with other employees goofing off on go carts and ziplines

Innovative & Fun Company!

Current Contractor - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Scribd as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Scribd has a great team of people already in place and is continuing to hire more. There is great collaboration between teams and frequent team happy hours and activities to keep everyone united. I feel that Scribd is looking toward the future and open to hearing fresh ideas and opinions.

Cons

The compensation is definitely competitive, they serve 3 delicious healthy meals a day and the company culture is fantastic. I love working here and can't think of a bad thing to say!

Please keep building great teams by being particular about who you hire. Also, more go-karts please?

The new Scribd is an all-new company; great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Scribd full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working at Scribd. It's a huge privilege to get to work with such a talented team of people and I learn a ton from them every day. It's also really fun to get to work on a consumer product that I really enjoy as a user.

Pros:
    - Really large user base, so your work affects real people
    - Relatively small, high quality team. NICE people too, not just smart.
    - Entrepreneurial culture: everyone has an opinion on product and strategy and there are lots of lively debates
    - New book subscription service is a big hit with consumers and a compelling vision I enjoy working on
    - Nice to be at a company that is profitable, financially stable, and succeeding in the marketplace
    - Management is highly accessible and transparent

From reading the other Glassdoor reviews, you'll notice a lot of negative feedback from a few years ago. Scribd went through a rough time back then, and seems to have some angry former employees. While it seems the company made some mistakes back then, I can say that most of the issues former employees raised are not relevant anymore. Since those reviews were left, Scribd pivoted its whole business and brought in a more experienced management team. While things could always be improved, generally the company is running well these days.

Cons

- Tension between old and new business can lead to strategic compromises
    - The product design process and inter-play between product, design and engineering still isn't as smooth as it should be
    - Space is getting competitive and Scribd will need to execute fast to stay ahead of competition

I'd advise more structure and an updated process around product and engineering. I also think we can do a better job communicating our culture, values, and vision.

Excellent potential and great team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Scribd full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Scribd is demonstrating its new business model works and the company is growing quickly. Revenue growth has created opportunities for employees to earn promotions and take on more responsibility. In my time here, I've seen outstanding engineers get promoted and now they lead teams and manage other engineers. I've seen the company address area's where they've underinvested and aggressively hire in order to get the best engineering and design team onboard even when we're competing comp wise with companies like Facebook.

Cons

The compensation is at the upper end of the market, the benefits are great and competitive. The company serves healthy food for all three meals and everyone works hard. No complaints from me.

Keep sharing key metrics and performance within the company so everyone can be bought into the vision and stay on the same page.

Company re-launched with new business and energy

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Scribd as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Scribd. The company has a lot of smart, talented and friendly people. Just hang out in the kitchen and you can strike up a conversation very easily with almost anyone. Julie Haddon, the new VP of marketing is making a huge positive impact on the company, turning it into a consumer brand and opening up communication across the company. I worked under her and was very impressed with the difference she has made in the company.

Cons

Can be overly concerned with competition in a negative way instead of keeping eye on prize. I’m glad they are hiring more “adults” there to temper some of this. I wish the office looked nicer. It feels like a college dorm and still has that early stage start up feel to it, but I hear they are going to remodel soon.

You must hire more readers so you can understand the end user’s perspective.

May 2, 2014Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to submit your feedback on your experience at Scribd.

We appreciate your acknowledgement that we've hired subject matter experts to join our executive team, as we're
    ... More

Good for first job in tech but has downsides.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Scribd full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free food and lots of it.
    Very flexible hours.
    Stable for a startup.
    Talented, smart, fun people working there - type of people who will go on to start new successful startups.
    Good place to get experience.

Cons

Secretive management style.
    Managers pull rank to squash ideas.
    Product decisions often based on engineer opinions instead of user research.
    Management condones unprofessional behavior in order to not lose employees.
    Office feels like a college dorm.

Don't be shady. Employees can tell when they are being lied to. Don't just rely on free food and toys for employee retention. Improve office culture and environment to fit company goals. There is a lot of potential there for Scribd to be a good place to work. Make changes now while you can.

Jun 22, 2014Co-founder

I'd like to sincerely thank you for offering this honest feedback, and for doing it in a constructive way outlining ways that we can improve. As a cofounder, I'm disappointed in the company and in ... More

Poor management. Childish workplace.

I worked at Scribd full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Freedom in projects
    - Talented and smart people
    - Free food
    - Good for a first job out of college.

Cons

- Awful management
    - Decisions often at odds with employees' interests.
    - Startup in zombie stage, trying to copy competitors' innovations.

Get professional management that knows what they are doing.

Jun 22, 2014Co-founder

As a founder of Scribd, I would like to sincerely apologize for what was obviously a very bad experience you had at the company. As a founder, it's deeply troubling for me that anyone at Scribd ... More

Scribd Photos