Scribendi Reviews

Updated February 28, 2015
6 reviews filtered by
3.9
Chandra K. Clarke

Great place for remote work

Current Employee - Freelance Editor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Freelance Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Scribendi

Pros

I started in October of 2014, editing remotely. I've been impressed with Scribendi's professionalism from the beginning - everything is well organized and I've learned a tremendous amount through working here. Feedback from both clients and internal review comes frequently, and they keep you on your toes. I could see that if you were not a top-notch editor, things could go downhill for you quickly, but it seems that they are quite rigorous in their hiring practices to get good editors in the first place. The pay is good - it depends on how rough the English is on the assignments you get - but you have 20 minutes to decline an order if it seems like it will not be worth the effort. Overall I'm averaging about $20/hour, although the first month was a little below that.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Flexible job with low pay and decreasing availability of work.

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Scribendi

Pros

I like being able to pick up as much or as little work as I want. Editors have access to a board of jobs that they can view and accept if they so choose. I also like how I can work from home and take a week off if I have other commitments in real life or at my other jobs.

The pay rate is based partially on the turnaround time of the jobs and partially on the number of words contained in the document. Sometimes I can pick up a job that pays 2 or even 3 cents a word, but those are getting harder and harder to find. I have been with Scribendi for the last three years, and I have found myself looking for other jobs to supplement my income because I can no longer depend on making what I used to each month.

Cons

The pay is low. Most of the jobs are ESL writers so they take much longer than expected, especially if they are highly technical. I average about 1 cent per word here. That is a terrible rate. Scribendi also has a policy where editors must do 10,000 words each calendar month to remain active. If you don't, your account is deactivated.

For the past six months or so, there has been little work available. With so many remote editors looking for jobs, you have to get online at all hours of the night to find a $10 order and hope that it isn't due in 6 hours. I also feel that the customer service department is more likely to side with the clients instead of the editors if the clients have questions or complaints. It's a difficult situation when your client doesn't speak English as his or her first language yet the quality of your editing is questioned and Scribendi forces you to redo the order (or not get paid at all) without even allowing you to address the client's concerns. I do not feel like a valued employee here; I feel like a number who can be easily replaced. The worst part is that Scribendi keeps about 50% of what they charge the client, so if I get $100 for an order, Scribendi also gets that amount. That is a large commission.

The turnaround times on orders are too short. I usually feel as though if I just had another hour, I could do a much better job. Scribendi allows customers to choose 8-hour, 12-hour, 24-hour, 48-hour, 72-hour or 1- or 2-week turnaround times, but the editors have a deadline that is shorter than that. For example, an 8-hour order shows up as only 6 hours remaining as soon as it's posted. While this is a great policy for client satisfaction because clients feel as though they get their work back early, it's terrible for editors who already are working second or third jobs or have family responsibilities. I have to pass up many orders because I know I won't have time to do them adequately because the deadline is too soon. I think Scribendi could avoid a lot of complaints by rewarding editors who turn things in early but not rushing the jobs across the board and trading quality for saving a few hours.

Professional to the core

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Scribendi as a contractor

Pros

Work is constant and you can make a decent living out of this. Love the remote telecommuting option. The platform is stable and there's clear guidance every step of the way. Great training is given to the editors as well. Stringent measures are imposed to maintain excellent quality of work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Pretty amazing company

Former Employee - Editor in Chatham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Editor in Chatham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scribendi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive team, clear vision, every procedure clearly detailed, and it's very cool this kind of work is available here.

Cons

This is no place for slackers. Don't get me wrong, they don't expect 80 hour weeks, and they walk the talk on work-life balance. But you need to be hitting your performance review targets or else.

Pop out of the office more often?

Management team could use a facelift

I worked at Scribendi

Pros

Autonomy of time, great office space (bright colours, great view, good parking, large kitchen), great benefits, learning culture, and socially responsible.

Cons

Leadership (management level) is an exclusive group that abuse their power. This small group of people create a toxic environment for other employees.

The owner's care about individual employees and truly care about the company and its success; they have just been unfortunately burdened with poor management.

great flexibility for freelance editors and proofreaders

I have been working at Scribendi

Pros

great flexibility in scheduling and variety of work; very organized staff at headquarters that gives consistent direction and information

Cons

Pay depends on word count and turnaround time and most clients are ESL speakers, so work will take you 2-3 times longer than it would normally. At least this place pays market rates, though. You won't be offered full copyediting jobs at a fraction of a penny per word or other nonsense like that.