Scripps Health

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Scripps Health President and CEO Chris Van Gorder

Chris Van Gorder

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent Company... Like any healthcare company now... Lots of change.

Enterprise Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time for more than a year

ProsBudgets are never an issue, and they always listen.

ConsConfusion among leadership on how Information Technology impacts their bottom line and leadership is not really present. Too much of a "management by committee" in the lower ranks. They pay well.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow decisive leadership, don't be afraid of a great place to work rating and last but not least don't let seniority be the key to putting people in the proper roles.

Leader in San Diego

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time for more than 5 years

Prosprofessional peers, no lay-off policy, engaged CEO, no union. Most people are happy to work here and give good patient care

Consindividual departments not always moving toward company goals, lower compensation than other organizations in the county, many different initiatives going on at the same time

Advice to Senior Managementkeep us informed, give positive feedback on a regular basis

Too many management layers, Zero paid national holidays, Formal dress code.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood job security with no lay-offs, Providers seem to really care about improving patient care, beautiful care facilities, and good healthcare benefits as long as seen by Scripps provider.

ConsToo difficult to enact change with so many middle management layers (leads, supervisors, managers, directors, senior directors, assistant vp, etc. Benefits not as good as advertised, no 401k match. Very bureaucratic and political. Shirt and tie attire for IT organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit "One Scripps" strategy and cut down management layers to be more nimble. Improve PTO and 401k match compensation. Take a look at Admin department dress codes, many fellow Scripps associates uncomfortable with formal attire.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Layoffs are coming in '14, career ending, culture of bullying, low pay

Developer (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Scripps Health full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are a few, very good people in IT that are stuck in this world of hell. I hope they can get out as soon as possible.

I don't know what the hospital side looks like but the administration portion is a mess. There are grumblings by doctors that they feel disrespected by administration.

Cons- Expect layoffs in 2014:
Compensation to health systems by the ACA, CC and Medicare is going WAY down. Upper management has done what it could to mitigate (so they say) but CEO already told management that nobody is safe. The motto of "no layoffs" is no longer true.

- No flexibility, culture of bullying & backstabbing that is condoned by HR:
No flexibility in terms of start time, hours, lunches etc. You are forced to clock in and out for everything you do at the same time each day. You should expect to be tracked/followed and reported on behind your back to HR by fellow employees and even directors.

- Your opinion doesn't matter. Non-technical personnel hired into technical positions:
Most directors across IT/Marcom/Web Center do not care what you think so don't bother voicing it. On top of that, technical departments have non-technical directors making all decisions.

- Scary HR / Marcom propraganda:
You are force fed how Scripps is a "Great Place to Work". It's a scam - anybody with any quantitative research experience knows that the "survey" results are manipulated in favor of a higher score so they can receive this award each year. Also, the CEO is apparently christ incarnate - everything he says and touches is the word of god.

- Future of IT & Web Center is grim. Best practices? Don't expect to follow them here:
Vendors have access to all production environments including patient data. Their primary EMR, GE Centricity, is so old and unstable that it's only used by 5 clients across the entire country and won't meet government requirements for ACA. Patient portal is unstable and has a scary number of security, usability and customer service issues.

- Low pay, career ending, old power-wielding employees don't enjoy change:
Expect to receive a 15-30% cut in compensation for this market. Many employees have a mentality that Scripps is their career destination. Guess what, you have to appease these people in order to get into their good graces. They don't like change.

-Overall:
This health system is rapidly descending downhill in 2014 with regards to their IT and web technology as well as compensation, time off, and general work environment & culture. Please don't make the worst decision of your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, hire TECHNICAL people to make TECHNICAL decisions. Fire incompetent people

Take good care of you

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFinancially secure, bonus up to 8 days pay per year, good benefits for area, listens to employees. Employees are always treated fairly, offer multiple opportunities for growth, like leadership academies, specialty areas, internships, etc. Raises based on merit.

ConsVery image driven, competition against other hospitals often leads to half-done, push things through in a hurry approach, expensive area to live.

Opportunity To Grow

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time for more than a year

ProsQuality employees, tuition reimbursement, opportunities to transfer, good benefits

ConsSalary not as competitive as others

Negative

RN CCU (Former Employee)

I worked at Scripps Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are competitive. Salary is also competitive

ConsVery "good Ole Boy" network. Extremely reticent to update policies/procedures to standards of best practice. Institutes policies where mandated and continues to practice as before policies were set in place. Adversarial, Punitive work environment, management fails to keep confidentiality and plays obvious favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, communicate, communicate. Set plans of correction in place and follow them. Be proactive instead of reactive. Be accountable.

Good salary and benefits but they work you to death.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Scripps Health part-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent co-workers, great sense of family on each unit. Most of the staff pull together to try to help each other out.

ConsAdministration is so focused on the bottom line and patient reviews that good patient care despite the obstacles of a poor computer system and chronic understaffing for the patient acuity and turnover is unappreciated by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the chief nurse executive at each hospital follow an exemplary RN for her full 12 hour shift; have a time management specialist follow an RN for 12 hours and see how much time is actually spent with a patient. Have someone on the front lines evaluate new policies to see if they are actually doable under current staffing or if you are writing them merely to look good and they will necessarily be ignored because they are too time consuming. Don't send RNs home early until everyone is caught up and will be able to get out on time.

Doesn't promote employee family cohesiveness

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOverall good place to work. Co-workers are generally great to work with and the medical care is generally great too.

ConsPromotes employee time together by excluding our spouses from social functions, which supports staff affairs. Which is very uncomfortable and awkward for employees who don't condone the staff affairs. If we comment or say something we are in jeopardy of our jobs and if we have to see the spouse it's uncomfortable as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport family unity by allowing staff to bring spouses to work functions especially when drinking and dancing is involved. Allow us to go home at reasonable hours after work rather than promote more staff drinking and partying and discourage office/staff affairs that make those of us who don't approve of it fear retaliation.

Lots of work, lots of good people. Many difficult political situations

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI work in IS. The work is challenging, the pace is pretty fast. There are a lot of good people who work here. The benefits are good, the salary is not bad either.

ConsThe job never ends. To work there you must embrace the concept of "drinking from a fire hose". The demands for your time is never ending and has no boundaries nor is there any apology about it. Some days I hate working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet senior leadership to start rowing in the same direction. They are still pulling different ways based on whatever their agenda is. It wastes a lot of time and money.

Worked for Scripps Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scripps Health reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scripps Health CEO Chris Van Gorder. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Scripps Health employees.