Scripps Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
69 reviews filtered by
Scripps President, CEO, and Director Rich Boehne
Rich Boehne

Pros
  • hiring great people with diversity of thought (in 3 reviews)

• I've see a couple times in other parts of the business that corporate comes to the person (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue of the physical process it takes to get the content press-ready (in 6 reviews)

• Management and Higher ups kept the people underneath them in the dark (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company and great people

I worked at Scripps

Pros

great folks that truly care

Cons

need to train and help ramp up time

Changing for the worse

I have been working at Scripps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay isn't bad, benefit package is great.

Cons

Negative environment. Corporate is really out of touch with it's local stations.

Just because it works for corporate, doesn't mean it works for your stations.

3. No opportunity to advance

I worked at Scripps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful group of people to work with.

Cons

Management changes every year, company will not promote from within.

Don't use your small stations as training sites.

5. Very nice place to work

I have been working at Scripps

Pros

Benefits are great. Good team work

Cons

Corporate environment. Not very flexible

Good intentions, but don't always follow through

I have been working at Scripps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company values, top execs seem like good guys - but not a great work-life balance.

Cons

Across the board, stations are asked to do too much with not enough resources.

7. Love Scripps

Current Employee - Patient Scheduling Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Scheduling Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps

Pros

Good working environment and great people.

Cons

Lower pay compared to other hospitals

8. Avoid doing postdoc at Scripps FL

Former Employee - Research Staff in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Research Staff in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Scripps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a huge academic institute, starved of funds, but with a good name a generous pension plan for staff scientists, within a 30 min drive from beach

Cons

bureaucracy, the bloody bureaucracy, the backstabbing and infighting at the highest and lowest levels, the lack of funding, postdoc slave labor, totally dysfunctional buildings, boredom, 5 hour drive distance from anything of interest, overpriced rents everywhere. >50% overhead. PIs have to secure 100% of their own salary from grants after the overhead!!

Line up the current management up against the wall. Then plow over and start again on another continent.

The company philiosphy is all talk, no action.

Current Employee - Associate Producer/Editor
    Current Employee - Associate Producer/Editor

I have been working at Scripps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my co-workers are great and have become lifelong friends even outside of the workplace. Those people are what make going to work every day worth it. I "still" love what I do and for the most part, enjoy who I'm doing it with/for. Scripps is a respected company in the industry.

Cons

I haven't had anything resembling a good benefits pkg since my last employer. I don't necessarily blame the company for that. I think it's the way things are going these days. Working in a dept. that is consistently short-staffed, becomes a problem when asking for time-off. The morale has taken a nose dive in the past 12 to 18 months. Visible by bouts of mass exedous of people.

My advice to management: never lie to a future employee. The truth has a funny way of being revealed. . The company, by and large, touts itself as one putting employees first, promoting from within, professional growth, etc.... Anyone who's been around long enough can see that is absolute garbage. Just in the past year alone I've see a half-dozen well qualified internal candidates be "overlooked" while position after position was filled from outside the company. Hard work is not rewarded, for everone. It is rewarded for the "chosen" few.

Good co-workers

I have been working at Scripps

Pros

The worker-bees are the ones who make this company. They treat you like family and are always eager to help when needed. I was one of the fortunate ones that had the opportunity to move up. If you like working at a fast-pace with little down time, this is the place to be.

Cons

You do your job, make the sale, beat the deadline yet rarely do you receive praise from the higher ups. If you do, it is short lived. Always asking for more with less and fewer to do the work. Upper management does keep the ones beneath them in the dark.

Only managers are protected during lay offs

Current Employee - Account Executive in Stuart, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Stuart, FL

I have been working at Scripps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The overall corporate feel is great. I joined being very enthusiastic and feeling strongly supported. Company is casual and familial. You're expected to weigh in on processes which makes it feel like your opinion matters. Decent pay though benefits are not the best but agreeable. There was a huge training initiative in sales which was amazing and very useful to any career move.

Cons

They are doing lay offs in the transition from Scripps to Journal Media for the newspaper division. Mostly the staff, rather than management, have been sacrificed. Scripps is now asking people who aren't paid giant salaries to do the work of 3 but then there's a manager making 5x that with only 3 employees to manage and not much of a workload except going to meetings and crunching fake numbers. It's typical corporate m.o. With the request that everyone rally together to save the company, it would make sense if management did some work rather than just delegate. Good for them though. They kept their jobs and aren't working any harder to save more employees from getting axed. Advertising reps got let go which is virtually unheard of in media and it appears the ones that they let go weren't the least performing reps. Working in that atmosphere is disheartening and begs the question, who's next?

In my role, I've seen half a dozen people quit in 9 months. That alone speaks volumes. My ad clients are having issues with how their stuff is managed and I'm nearly powerless to fix it.

You don't need a manager for every 3 employees. Less management would mean staff, who do the work, could be more empowered to make decisions about creating efficient processes and sticking with them and you'd still save money.

Let sales people sell. Meetings are just busy work.