Scripps Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
3.4

Scripps President, CEO, and Director Rich Boehne
Rich Boehne

Pros
  • hiring great people with diversity of thought (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue of the physical process it takes to get the content press-ready (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management a little out of touch with reality (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company battling against the odds...

I have been working at Scripps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A secure, profitable company with a culture of innovation, and a familial level of caring about individuals.

Cons

The transition from a legacy media company to digital will not be easy! There will be an incredible amount of change that everyone will have to manage. Scripps will have good cash flow for years to come to have a better than average chance of making it.

Great Place

I have been working at Scripps

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere, great place to come everyday

Cons

no growth upward growth for career changes

Management Talks out of Both Sides of their mouth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Scripps part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My work is with one of Scripps' television stations in the United States. Despite the frustrating attempts at times, the stuff we do is incredible and very satisfying. You're at the forefront of news in your community and the world, and there are times where you actually feel like you're making a difference.

Cons

I have been an employee at one of Scripps' broadcast stations for nearly a decade. Despite changes to my job through consolidation of other positions, nothing has changed. Still part time,. Still no benefit options aside from a 401k, and still no respect from my manager. Every year I get met with glowing reviews and every year I get told I'm "Exactly the kind of employee that we want to have for decades" yet every year I'm still stuck with 21 hours a week and a loss of hope. Attempts to show my value by volunteering my services for additional work have only gone on to increase my job duties, while at the same time increased my "expected" workload with no additional compensation.

It's kind of funny, to be honest. The last two years they've been rolling out this corporate wide propaganda about how "people are their #1 resource" and how every person is geared to go up. Yet, every time I get a sliver of an opportunity to move up, my manager shuts the door as hard as he can. The consensus around the station is that if you're really good at what you do, they'll do whatever they can to keep you in that position, even those that are part time and very good at what they do (I'm not the only one).

Put up or shut up. You tell us that people are the number one source, but it really doesn't feel like it. Tell your managers that you need to be setting your employees--especially the dedicated ones--for the next position not just keeping them afloat until they lose hope and leave. I have seen countless people leave and go to rivals, people who were VERY talented and VERY good at what they do, because they were passed time and time again for advancement and someone outside was hired with much less experience and much less talent. Boehne said in an e-mail once that 'Scripps doesn't hire mercenaries," but the fact that every position I've tried to get into and that I'm more than qualified for was filled with people who were either JUST graduating college or STILL in college indicated that quality and talent take a back seat to costs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Career Management

Current Employee - Revenue Operations Specialist  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Revenue Operations Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Scripps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced, lots of work to do.

Cons

No room for promotion. Career management is handled very poorly. A lot of micromanaging goes on here.

Office culture is lacking. Lots of negativity swirling around.

Terrible management

I have been working at Scripps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities to take on added skills, opportunities for overtime. Good camaraderie amongst employees. Culture was amazing before new additions to management sullied the pot.

Cons

Management looks to pass the buck often. They treat workers like children and are creating a culture of avoidance. Management has favorites and have little knowledge of what is going on.

Stop hiring family members or people within the company. Bring in new blood.

It has been positive so far

Current Employee - Medical Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are nice and the managers have been pleasant. The interview process was easy to me.........................

Cons

The pay is very low. I took a four dollar pay cut to come over to scripps

Good place to work, nice people, odd culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Scripps full-time for more than a year

Pros

-most innovative company and CEO in the city
    -great, supportive sr. management team
    -seems to be a company grounded in mission
    -lots going on, never a dull moment
    -hiring great people with diversity of thought

Cons

-a little too collaborative sometimes, at times causing inaction
    -feels like there are more ideas than people who have capability to execute
    -inconsistent follow through from managers, hard to tell if people are on the same page

Need to be ambitious to make more money

Current Employee - Photographer  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Photographer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Scripps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's relatively easy to get in. A lot of people I know either start right out of college, or in my case, have relevant job experience and no college degree. The work is interesting and will definitely get you ready to work in larger markets. There are lots of jobs within Scripps that you'll get preferential treatment for if you want to apply and move up and on.

Cons

Pay is stagnant. Raises are rare without changing job titles, positions, or titles. If you're willing to bide your time and move around you can move up. Be clear with what you want with your boss from the very beginning to get set on a good path. Even then, sometimes you'll have to wait years before moving up at all. Scripps corporate seems to care but local management works their people into the dirt. No preference for people that are there for promotions. Lots of outside hiring when there are many good candidates internally (this is a specific manager)

Look within for good talent. Don't overlook the people that have put in the time. Ask and mentor the younger employees on what their goals are and help them reach them. Numbers aren't everything. Remember that story-telling and not ambulance chasing is how you bring people in. Create a good culture and the people will produce a good product

Good experience, great people

I worked at Scripps part-time

Pros

Superb departmental managers, interesting work. Employees are smart and committed.

Cons

Upper management decisions often trickled down, creating air of uncertainty.

Go to mid-level managers for advice and keep them informed of decisions.

Generally Happy

I worked at Scripps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Digital team is well run and has clear vision, though execution is a challenge. Growing division though, so some of that is expected.

Cons

Whiplash approach to project management and focus.

Best of luck in a wild and weird marketplace.

Worked for Scripps? Contribute to the Community!