Scripps

Updated November 12, 2014
3.1

Scripps President, CEO, and Director Rich Boehne
Rich Boehne

Pros
  • hiring great people with diversity of thought (in 3 reviews)

• Corporate policy seems to be enlightened but when you meet the (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue of the physical process it takes to get the content press-ready (in 5 reviews)

• No respect for employee or customer (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company battling against the odds...

I have been working at Scripps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A secure, profitable company with a culture of innovation, and a familial level of caring about individuals.

Cons

The transition from a legacy media company to digital will not be easy! There will be an incredible amount of change that everyone will have to manage. Scripps will have good cash flow for years to come to have a better than average chance of making it.

Only managers are protected during lay offs

Current Employee - Account Executive in Stuart, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Stuart, FL

I have been working at Scripps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The overall corporate feel is great. I joined being very enthusiastic and feeling strongly supported. Company is casual and familial. You're expected to weigh in on processes which makes it feel like your opinion matters. Decent pay though benefits are not the best but agreeable. There was a huge training initiative in sales which was amazing and very useful to any career move.

Cons

They are doing lay offs in the transition from Scripps to Journal Media for the newspaper division. Mostly the staff, rather than management, have been sacrificed. Scripps is now asking people who aren't paid giant salaries to do the work of 3 but then there's a manager making 5x that with only 3 employees to manage and not much of a workload except going to meetings and crunching fake numbers. It's typical corporate m.o. With the request that everyone rally together to save the company, it would make sense if management did some work rather than just delegate. Good for them though. They kept their jobs and aren't working any harder to save more employees from getting axed. Advertising reps got let go which is virtually unheard of in media and it appears the ones that they let go weren't the least performing reps. Working in that atmosphere is disheartening and begs the question, who's next?

In my role, I've seen half a dozen people quit in 9 months. That alone speaks volumes. My ad clients are having issues with how their stuff is managed and I'm nearly powerless to fix it.

You don't need a manager for every 3 employees. Less management would mean staff, who do the work, could be more empowered to make decisions about creating efficient processes and sticking with them and you'd still save money.

Let sales people sell. Meetings are just busy work.

Good personal experience, but lacking elsewhere

Current Employee - Executive Producer
    Current Employee - Executive Producer

I have been working at Scripps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You CAN move up in the company, but you have to be the one to initiate the steps on most occasions. I've see a couple times in other parts of the business that corporate comes to the person. But 9 times out of 10, you have to be the one to initiate things. And that's fine, but you don't really feel wanted or engaged in anything because of this. Scripps is what you make of it. They have a "nice" attitude. That's fine, but really "nice" won't make you #1. And you can see in all their broadcast properties, very few are #1.

Cons

Scripps isn't overly aggressive. They play real journalism fairly well. They innovate on occasion. But, the biggest drawback with Scripps - they cannot keep quality people. Scripps historically pays poorly. Also, they don't hire the best people in certain categories. Producers cannot write their way out of a paper bag. You must hire quality producers or the product will suffer badly. You cannot hire people right out of school in markets bigger than 70. They will flounder and fall apart. But Scripps will hire pretty much anyone with a heart beat at lower levels. They claim they won't, but believe me, they do. Managers - they will only take experienced people for those roles.. That's good, but management gets burned out because of the stupidity at lower levels. And HR is unwilling to boot bad employees. You could call out sick as much as you want and no one will blink an eye. You can be a very unreliable employee and get by at Scripps. Managers on the other hand - watch out. You can be fired without cause instantly. Everyone else, you basically have to visually see them shoot someone before you get fired. And many Scripps properties are in undesirable locations. CLEVELAND? CINCI? DETROIT? No thanks.

Management is seen as NICE at Scripps. That is fine. But have a backbone and rid staffs of dead weight. Then MAYBE you could actually be #1 in a few markets. Thankfully, Scripps is expanding. The pool will hopefully get better with the acquisition of JOURNAL.

An old school media company that struggles to compete in a digital age

Current Employee - Digital Account Executive
    Current Employee - Digital Account Executive

I have been working at Scripps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Long history of excellence in journalism

Cons

Pay is low compared to industry leaders, not innovative, outsources many of their digital advertising products to 3rd parties. They sell websites but don't have a website highlighting their products and generating leads for the sales team. Executing advertising campaigns was poor. Too many people involved that were not trained properly

If you are not going to build innovative products, acquire innovative companies instead of outsourcing to inferior partners and white labeling. Build a website to help your sales team!

Sad Environment

I worked at Scripps full-time

Pros

Interesting people, flexibile in schedule

Cons

suffering industry, very very lean

Take more pride in what you do.

Great Place

I have been working at Scripps

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere, great place to come everyday

Cons

no growth upward growth for career changes

Management Talks out of Both Sides of their mouth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Scripps part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My work is with one of Scripps' television stations in the United States. Despite the frustrating attempts at times, the stuff we do is incredible and very satisfying. You're at the forefront of news in your community and the world, and there are times where you actually feel like you're making a difference.

Cons

I have been an employee at one of Scripps' broadcast stations for nearly a decade. Despite changes to my job through consolidation of other positions, nothing has changed. Still part time,. Still no benefit options aside from a 401k, and still no respect from my manager. Every year I get met with glowing reviews and every year I get told I'm "Exactly the kind of employee that we want to have for decades" yet every year I'm still stuck with 21 hours a week and a loss of hope. Attempts to show my value by volunteering my services for additional work have only gone on to increase my job duties, while at the same time increased my "expected" workload with no additional compensation.

It's kind of funny, to be honest. The last two years they've been rolling out this corporate wide propaganda about how "people are their #1 resource" and how every person is geared to go up. Yet, every time I get a sliver of an opportunity to move up, my manager shuts the door as hard as he can. The consensus around the station is that if you're really good at what you do, they'll do whatever they can to keep you in that position, even those that are part time and very good at what they do (I'm not the only one).

Put up or shut up. You tell us that people are the number one source, but it really doesn't feel like it. Tell your managers that you need to be setting your employees--especially the dedicated ones--for the next position not just keeping them afloat until they lose hope and leave. I have seen countless people leave and go to rivals, people who were VERY talented and VERY good at what they do, because they were passed time and time again for advancement and someone outside was hired with much less experience and much less talent. Boehne said in an e-mail once that 'Scripps doesn't hire mercenaries," but the fact that every position I've tried to get into and that I'm more than qualified for was filled with people who were either JUST graduating college or STILL in college indicated that quality and talent take a back seat to costs.

No Career Management

Current Employee - Revenue Operations Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Revenue Operations Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Scripps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced, lots of work to do.

Cons

No room for promotion. Career management is handled very poorly. A lot of micromanaging goes on here.

Office culture is lacking. Lots of negativity swirling around.

It has been positive so far

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are nice and the managers have been pleasant. The interview process was easy to me.........................

Cons

The pay is very low. I took a four dollar pay cut to come over to scripps

Good place to work, nice people, odd culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Scripps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-most innovative company and CEO in the city
    -great, supportive sr. management team
    -seems to be a company grounded in mission
    -lots going on, never a dull moment
    -hiring great people with diversity of thought

Cons

-a little too collaborative sometimes, at times causing inaction
    -feels like there are more ideas than people who have capability to execute
    -inconsistent follow through from managers, hard to tell if people are on the same page