Scrub and Beyond Reviews

1. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond

Pros

Great store manager and upper management. The hours are perfect.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

2. Grade C

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule; good discounts; certain amount of autonomy.

Cons

Growing pains; some stores badly overstocked in some vendors and sorely lacking in others.

Accountability should be practiced from top management down. LISTEN to your employees. Don't micro manage.

3. It's a retail job.

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product selection, regular repeat customers with whom you have an opportunity to develop an ongoing relationship, $5 spiff program for sales over $150.

Cons

Unreasonable customer service and store cleanliness expectations in relation to the number of payroll hours given to the stores. There several people in upper management positions who appear to be where they are based on their relationship with the owner vs. their qualifications. Health insurance benefits are only beneficial to the employee, dependent coverage will literally cost 75% of your paycheck, not a good offering in a world of single-parent families.

Stop hiring home office executives and shift the resources to the stores for more payroll hours. These are your front line workers, the very people who service your customers and the source of 100% of the company's income. You are losing excellent employees at all levels as a result of burn-out.

5. Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager

I worked at Scrub and Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They purchased Life Uniform, I left after the transition. They had positive improvements to the company

Cons

Low payroll hours, not all stores get the same merchandise.

Pay management better.

It's A Paycheck, Although Not A Big One

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is excellent. The health benefits for a single are fantastic, although if you have a family, the cost is the majority of your paycheck. I'm not even kidding. Vacation time is accrued, and has no black-out times. Store managers are only required to work one weekend shift, and one closing shift per week - which you can combine. Most stores are dead on regular retail holidays, and during the Christmas season. Some of the corporate staff are exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable, but some are obviously not qualified for their positions and need to go. The company has high store visual standards, and they provide every tool needed - and then some - to maintain them. The product quality and variety has greatly increased over the last 10 years. Regional managers are the best - typically understanding, and extremely helpful - they will roll up their sleeves and help you with everything.

Cons

There is no training program in place for new employees, and 100% of the employee development is an interpretation of the store manager... And a lot of our managers behave like helpless children - no offense. The company expects all store managers to run a store front as well as a scrub-selling business out of the trunks of their cars, or when it's profitable enough, a rental truck. Store managers are considered 100% responsible for bringing in the store front customers by way of driving around and passing out unexciting coupons, and making direct sales calls to customer's home phones. You will do the job of a corporate salesman, without the training or experience. Upper management will tell you to drive sales day after day, but not provide you with anything worthwhile to the customer to entice them to buy more scrubs that their patients can puke on. Where the quality of product has greatly increased, the items we sell are the same price as buying a new Nike or Underarmor athletic outfit - expect customers to pay at least $30 per item. There is no loss prevention program in place, as well as no security system of any kind in the stores. Nearly all stores are run on single coverage except for a couple of hours of overlap in the middle of the day. All associates are key holders, even part timers, and when part timers make a strict minimum wage for all that responsibility, you can expect LP problems. Lunch breaks are a 'hush-hush' subject, and no one gets them - we eat for five minutes on the sales floor. Lastly, this is likely the lowest paying retail management job you'll find.

Get a security system of some kind, even if it's just having a second person closing the stores. Start following the law, and get your associates some lunch breaks. I can't figure out how you haven't been sued yet! Keep up with the positive attitudes - you have that going for you! Hire sales people regionally who are not strictly commissioned, so we'll actually get some customers in our storefronts. Last, find some mid-range product that customers want. I know I won't pay $70 for an outfit that will be swimming in bodily fluids all day long.

7. Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Because of personal circumstances, I have the rare pleasure to choose what to do with my time. The opportunity to apply my choice to Scrubs & Beyond came over a year ago with the acquisition of Life Uniform. Having worked with Karla Bakersmith in the past, I knew it was the place for me! As a company, we strive to give each guest service beyond their expectations and create a work environment for our associates that is rewarding and fun. In the past year, our team has been given free scrub sets, bonus and spiff opportunities for both service and sales, raises, benefits, workplace improvements, and most important to me, a voice. Do we work hard? Yes. Is the job challenging? Yes. Is it worth it? YES!

Cons

You must be willing to react quickly to change and refuse to settle for less than the best. Since we base our reputation on offering great product with great service, our entire team must respond immediately to serve our guests! If you are lucky enough to join our team, you will see this is really one of the rewarding parts of working for this company.

I am thankful every day for the partnership and opportunity I enjoy by being a part of this company. I never lose sight of the fact that we care for caregivers and I am happy to do what I can to continue to build on what Karla Bakersmith set out to achieve.

Wouldn't still be here if I wasn't happy!

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Scrubs and Beyond is a retail company unlike any other. We really go above and beyond for our guests. The company is built on very high customer service standards.
    I have been with Scrubs and Beyond going on 7 years and I wouldn't still be here if I wasn't happy. I have applied myself and grown with the company and throughout the years have been promoted several times. I have expressed my passion and have grown into roles that have fit my expertise.
    Scrubs and Beyond is a great place to work and they care for their employees. I feel like this is a family not just a paycheck. Just like any job you get out what you put in. Work hard and show that you are there because you care and the sky is the limit!

Cons

Continue/ increase employee interactions events

Keep up the great work. It means a lot to the employees that you care for each one of us!

A fun and challenging place to work.

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome work environment!! The company recently purchased one of its competitors. Which has been a real challenge, but a fun challenge. The senior management team has done a wonderful job of making this transition as fun and seamless as possible. We have combined two cultures into one in a very short time all while moving into a beautiful new building. If you are looking for a fun and challenging place to work look no further.

Cons

I am a very happy employee no complaints except maybe some root beer in the vending machines please.

Keep doing what you are doing because it is working!!!!!!

Love my Company

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my company! It is very difficult to find opportunities to work for a corporate retail company in St. Louis, let alone the Midwest. The company is growing, and doing incredibly well. I love that the management team is not afraid to spend time with all members of their departments. I am comfortable going up to my boss and asking him about what he did over the weekend. That kind of culture makes you feel like everyone is on the same page, and no one person is better than the other. Our new office is beautiful, and there are so many nice things that I brag about to my family and friends. Love the relaxed corporate environment. I often wear scrubs to work! I've been in the industry for 15 years, this is by far the best place I've worked.

Cons

Could use more employees at corporate. A lot of work gets put on you at once and when your boss tells you to finish it all... Now.... You can only do so much. This is where an extra hand would be nice.

Keep our corporate environment fun and relaxed. We like doing fun things like having food trucks and holiday parties.

Definitely a Positive Career Experience

I have been working at Scrub and Beyond

Pros

I am a current associate of Scrubs & Beyond and have been employed with the Company for three years now. During my time at Scrubs I have earned a promotion and have consistently been presented with opportunities to expand my job function; therefore, I can attest to existing opportunities for growth within the Company. While I understand what may be prompting some of the negative feedback in reviews, I believe that growing pains are to be expected in any business environment were there have been changes in culture and standards due to acquisition and rapid growth. As a whole, the Company is solid and moving forward in innovation and excellence. I appreciate the fresh ideas and flexibility of our management talent as well as the visionary leadership of our CEO. I am not trying to paint S&B as a picture-perfect company because I don’t believe that such a company exists. I enjoy working with people who give their best daily to those we serve and keep looking for ways to do it better.

Cons

I am hopeful for a more favorable medical benefit plan.