Sea Island Reviews

1. Incredible summer job

Former Employee - Junior Staff in Sea Island, GA
    Former Employee - Junior Staff in Sea Island, GA

I worked at Sea Island

Pros

Working with kids in a fun, care-free atmosphere. The management in the Activities department were great and kind, and working directly with the kids, their families, and other guests made for an overall great experience. Add that to the fact that it is a five star resort on the coast of Georgia, you couldn't ask for much more in a summer job if you're a college student.

Cons

This job does not necessarily provide any clear transition into the work force, considering most of the summer employees will probably not come back to the resort full-time following college. Other than that, it is amazing!

Keep recruiting at reliable colleges and universities to find people that actually want to work, because there will certainly be enough.

2. Beautiful property, changing culture.

Former Employee - Server in Sea Island, GA

I worked at Sea Island full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Older employees treat you like family.

(However they do not want to use new tools or continue education. They are irreverent to upper level management and don't look at the business at a owner level.)

Depends on where you work but you can make some great money.

Management is very dedicated to making employees feel valuable on an emotional level.

New upper level leadership is top and aligning mission and values with new approaches. They are protecting the legacy.

Guest are highly educated and have traveled the world. Some of the most interesting people I have ever spoken with.

Good place for retired people or very young people starting fundamental professional skills.

Cons

I've never seen such a large number of people unwilling to work together. People think they may have good team work but I don't see it.

(The behavior, knowledge and actions of some of the food and beverage people blows my mind considering the amount of money they make. I feel bad for the educated mid level management making 40 times as less money working 55-60 hours a week.)

Uniforms were handed down

Time clock always wrong

Not many employee perks in any department or position.

Very strict.

Almost impossible to request time off
    Or be called in because someone didn't show up to work.

If you are given an opportunity to experience the resort you feel like you are being watched by a hawk.

For me there was not any disconnect from the resort to home life. In any social situation the topic always seems to be the resort life. Which on some days makes you feel like you're just in another world. (Stick w the old employees) But its beautiful.

Some of the jobs can almost seem like you're an indentured servant.

Company breaks wage and hour laws.

doesn't pay overtime.

Expects top level performance and threatens termination. Because they know its the only place to work in the region.

Keep doing what you started last year.
    The company is on its way up.
    Leadership right now has a lot of heart and soul.

(Example)
    Don't make promises when hiring employees then change the pay rate and expect an employee to work 12 days in a row and be dedicated to it 100%

Offer more ownership to employees. Train properly and retain. Build a team of five star professionals that can aide in an experience.
    I've seen a server and S.A. so worried about delivering forbes standards that it ended up making a guest upset because they were so unnatural and couldn't focus on the guest. They were too worried about hitting all the standards!

Pay your people more too. Its not fair to have these employees making $30 an hr griping and complaining about stuff and not working w the team at all while you make $10-$15 hr.

Some of these employees are not very supportive of seeing newer employees succeed above them in the quality of work because of this.

Also, completely redo your transportation department. They have no idea what they are doing what so ever.

Good luck!

3. Quit trying to make EVERYTHING 5-Star

Former Employee - Server in Sea Island, GA

I worked at Sea Island full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay when you're working, but the season is only from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Cons

Some management didn't have enough experience; when you try to move departments and are actually qualified--sometimes over qualified, you weren't even granted interviews while those under qualified were given the job. Accountability needs to be held for those employees who choose to "hide out" during side work times.

The Cloister is fine, it's the Beach Club that needs work. They need to quit trying to turn casual restaurants into 5-star fine dining---it doesn't work with families that are coming straight off the beach to dine.

5. boo!

I have been working at Sea Island full-time

Pros

benefits and the experience as bas as it is.

Cons

everything else or the lack there of.

get your butt off your shoulders

6. Good during early years

Former Employee - Activities
    Former Employee - Activities

I worked at Sea Island full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, beautiful settings, consistant work

Cons

Money hungry at the top, smile to your face stab you in the back.

7. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sea Island full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay
    Friendly staff
    Free Food (if you are nice to the cooks)

Cons

No benefits
    No moving up oportunities

Nice Managers

8. My experience at Sea Island was amazing and you feel like a family with all the employees.

Former Employee - Valet, Valet Department Trainer, Doorman, Bellman in Sea Island, GA

I worked at Sea Island full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1)The pay for one is great. Hard to beat the pay at Sea Island. 2) Working with your fellow employee is enjoyable and makes the time pass by a faster. 3) All the different guests that come to the hotel was neat and repeat guests several times a year is neat to see them again and call them by name.

Cons

1) Sometimes we could be understaff and get really busy at times which would make the service look bad. 2) At times some of the bellmen acted like a boss the way they would speak to you. 3) Even at times the middle management would step across the line with their athority and not act to proffesional when disiplining an employee.

I'm a hard worker and don't mind putting in the hours. I am aware though that there are other valets and I shouldn't be the only valet to pull all the load work. If you do that I will come to you in person and talk rashionally about the situation. If there are opportunities to move up in the company I will gladly take the position if offered.

9. They ask for top-rate service while giving ok support

I have been working at Sea Island

Pros

Decent pay and reasonable hours for an employee with a family

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for what support/information they give

When you expect so much of your employees, it helps to have the continuous training and review of menus; instead of pointing out what needs to be better, taking the time to follow-up and ensure the employees undergo the changes you want would be more effective than just saying we just have to do better.

10. Overall positive experience

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Sea Island, GA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Sea Island, GA

I have been working at Sea Island full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Diverse experience to many facets of accounting for an upscale resort.

Cons

limited availability for upward mobility

look for more value-added opportunities to invest in the company and its resources versus letting emotions steer decision making.

11. Fun while working

Former Employee - Cashier/Host in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Host in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Sea Island part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really fun working here! The group of people here are amazing.

Cons

Customers are very picky, but I guess that's the restaurant world for you.