Sea Island

Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGood Pay
    Friendly staff
    Free Food (if you are nice to the cooks)

ConsNo benefits
    No moving up oportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementNice Managers

Quit trying to make EVERYTHING 5-Star

Server (Former Employee) Sea Island, GA

ProsDecent pay when you're working, but the season is only from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

ConsSome management didn't have enough experience; when you try to move departments and are actually qualified--sometimes over qualified, you weren't even granted interviews while those under qualified were given the job. Accountability needs to be held for those employees who choose to "hide out" during side work times.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Cloister is fine, it's the Beach Club that needs work. They need to quit trying to turn casual restaurants into 5-star fine dining---it doesn't work with families that are coming straight off the beach to dine.

boo!

Prosbenefits and the experience as bas as it is.

Conseverything else or the lack there of.

Advice to Senior Managementget your butt off your shoulders

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good during early years

Activities (Former Employee)

ProsNice co-workers, beautiful settings, consistant work

ConsMoney hungry at the top, smile to your face stab you in the back.

My experience at Sea Island was amazing and you feel like a family with all the employees.

Valet, Valet Department Trainer, Doorman, Bellman (Former Employee) Sea Island, GA

Pros1)The pay for one is great. Hard to beat the pay at Sea Island. 2) Working with your fellow employee is enjoyable and makes the time pass by a faster. 3) All the different guests that come to the hotel was neat and repeat guests several times a year is neat to see them again and call them by name.

Cons1) Sometimes we could be understaff and get really busy at times which would make the service look bad. 2) At times some of the bellmen acted like a boss the way they would speak to you. 3) Even at times the middle management would step across the line with their athority and not act to proffesional when disiplining an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm a hard worker and don't mind putting in the hours. I am aware though that there are other valets and I shouldn't be the only valet to pull all the load work. If you do that I will come to you in person and talk rashionally about the situation. If there are opportunities to move up in the company I will gladly take the position if offered.

They ask for top-rate service while giving ok support

ProsDecent pay and reasonable hours for an employee with a family

ConsUnrealistic expectations for what support/information they give

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you expect so much of your employees, it helps to have the continuous training and review of menus; instead of pointing out what needs to be better, taking the time to follow-up and ensure the employees undergo the changes you want would be more effective than just saying we just have to do better.

Overall positive experience

Accounting Manager (Current Employee) Sea Island, GA

ProsDiverse experience to many facets of accounting for an upscale resort.

Conslimited availability for upward mobility

Advice to Senior Managementlook for more value-added opportunities to invest in the company and its resources versus letting emotions steer decision making.

Fun while working

Cashier/Host (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsReally fun working here! The group of people here are amazing.

ConsCustomers are very picky, but I guess that's the restaurant world for you.

Former top company to work devolved into abusive work environment with extremely poor top level management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brunswick, GA

ProsThe long time employees seemed like family both to each other and to the guests they took care of. It has a rich history or refined and genteel service that many employees were rightly proud to be a part of.

ConsIncompetent top management knew little of how their decisions negatively impacted the ability of managers to provide quality service. Departmental managers and directors were not trusted to have sound ideas or skills. "Just be glad you have a job" was said to more that a couple managers by senior VPs and higher. It was like an abusive relationship. The staff and management loved the hotel and its traditions but the upper management degraded their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust that you have hired quality managers and listen to them when they make suggestions. They are your eyes and ears. If you disagree with their ideas, communicate that to them so they know you are at least engaged. Do not be affraid to hear criticism. If someone is working 70 hours a week in a very busy and difficult environment, tell them thank you sometimes.

Fun place to work

Golf Services Attendant (Current Employee) Saint Simons Island, GA

Prosthe people one comes in contact with is great.
    discount on merchandise
    pretty much a competitive salary
    fun environment
    guest centered

Consthey have been recently struggling as the private owner made bad decisions and they were recently bought out, but they are appearing to be improving
    upper level management incompetent

Advice to Senior Managementhire more from within

Worked for Sea Island? Contribute to the Community!