Sea Island Reviews

Bill Jones III

1. Incredible summer job

Former Employee - Junior Staff in Sea Island, GA
    Former Employee - Junior Staff in Sea Island, GA

Pros

Working with kids in a fun, care-free atmosphere. The management in the Activities department were great and kind, and working directly with the kids, their families, and other guests made for an overall great experience. Add that to the fact that it is a five star resort on the coast of Georgia, you couldn't ask for much more in a summer job if you're a college student.

Cons

This job does not necessarily provide any clear transition into the work force, considering most of the summer employees will probably not come back to the resort full-time following college. Other than that, it is amazing!

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting at reliable colleges and universities to find people that actually want to work, because there will certainly be enough.

2. Word to management

I worked at Sea Island part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for the area. It looks good on a resume when applying for future jobs.

Cons

The management is pretty unrealistic. Very snooty and doesn't lead by example. They need to be more in tune with their employees instead of lying to their bosses to make themselves look good.

Advice to Management

Be honest and straight forward with your employees instead of playing games to try and get people to do what you want. Managers tend to be afraid to speak their mind because they want people to like them when in reality I they spoke their mind instead of going about things in a passive aggressive way then the staff would have way more respect for them.

3. Decent Place To Work

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Sea Island full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, looks good on resume.

Cons

Long hours and not so great management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you would like to be treated.

5. Better be rich

I worked at Sea Island part-time

Pros

Interaction with people from across the world. High quality products.

Cons

Favoritism towards wealthy employees who also have family relationship statuses with the Steilen family.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism for the kids who's parents have more money than they can count. If someone deserves to be fired, fire them. Don't fire then rehire the same week because of the parents relationship with the Steilens.

6. Beautiful property, changing culture.

Former Employee - Server in Sea Island, GA

I worked at Sea Island full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Older employees treat you like family. (However they do not want to use new tools or continue education. They are irreverent to upper level management and don't look at the business at a owner level.) Depends on where you work but you can make some great money. Management is very dedicated to making employees feel valuable on an emotional level. New upper level leadership is top and aligning mission and values with new approaches. They are protecting the legacy. Guest are highly educated and have traveled the world. Some of the most interesting people I have ever spoken with. Good place for retired people or very young people starting fundamental professional skills.

Cons

I've never seen such a large number of people unwilling to work together. People think they may have good team work but I don't see it. (The behavior, knowledge and actions of some of the food and beverage people blows my mind considering the amount of money they make. I feel bad for the educated mid level management making 40 times as less money working 55-60 hours a week.) Uniforms were handed down Time clock always wrong Not many employee perks in any department or position. Very strict. Almost impossible to request time off Or be called in because someone didn't show up to work. If you are given an opportunity to experience the resort you feel like you are being watched by a hawk. For me there was not any disconnect from the resort to home life. In any social situation the topic always seems to be the resort life. Which on some days makes you feel like you're just in another world. (Stick w the old employees) But its beautiful. Some of the jobs can almost seem like you're an indentured servant. Company breaks wage and hour laws. doesn't pay overtime. Expects top level performance and threatens termination. Because they know its the only place to work in the region.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you started last year. The company is on its way up. Leadership right now has a lot of heart and soul. (Example) Don't make promises when hiring employees then change the pay rate and expect an employee to work 12 days in a row and be dedicated to it 100% Offer more ownership to employees. Train properly and retain. Build a team of five star professionals that can aide in an experience. I've seen a server and S.A. so worried about delivering forbes standards that it ended up making a guest upset because they were so unnatural and couldn't focus on the guest. They were too worried about hitting all the standards! Pay your people more too. Its not fair to have these employees making $30 an hr griping and complaining about stuff and not working w the team at all while you make $10-$15 hr. Some of these employees are not very supportive of seeing newer employees succeed above them in the quality of work because of this. Also, completely redo your transportation department. They have no idea what they are doing what so ever. Good luck!

7. Quit trying to make EVERYTHING 5-Star

Former Employee - Server in Sea Island, GA

I worked at Sea Island full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay when you're working, but the season is only from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Cons

Some management didn't have enough experience; when you try to move departments and are actually qualified--sometimes over qualified, you weren't even granted interviews while those under qualified were given the job. Accountability needs to be held for those employees who choose to "hide out" during side work times.

Advice to Management

The Cloister is fine, it's the Beach Club that needs work. They need to quit trying to turn casual restaurants into 5-star fine dining---it doesn't work with families that are coming straight off the beach to dine.

Good during early years

Former Employee - Activities
    Former Employee - Activities

I worked at Sea Island full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, beautiful settings, consistant work

Cons

Money hungry at the top, smile to your face stab you in the back.

9. boo!

I have been working at Sea Island full-time

Pros

benefits and the experience as bas as it is.

Cons

everything else or the lack there of.

Advice to Management

get your butt off your shoulders

10. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sea Island full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay Friendly staff Free Food (if you are nice to the cooks)

Cons

No benefits No moving up oportunities

Advice to Management

Nice Managers

11. My experience at Sea Island was amazing and you feel like a family with all the employees.

Former Employee - Valet, Valet Department Trainer, Doorman, Bellman in Sea Island, GA

I worked at Sea Island full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1)The pay for one is great. Hard to beat the pay at Sea Island. 2) Working with your fellow employee is enjoyable and makes the time pass by a faster. 3) All the different guests that come to the hotel was neat and repeat guests several times a year is neat to see them again and call them by name.

Cons

1) Sometimes we could be understaff and get really busy at times which would make the service look bad. 2) At times some of the bellmen acted like a boss the way they would speak to you. 3) Even at times the middle management would step across the line with their athority and not act to proffesional when disiplining an employee.

Advice to Management

I'm a hard worker and don't mind putting in the hours. I am aware though that there are other valets and I shouldn't be the only valet to pull all the load work. If you do that I will come to you in person and talk rashionally about the situation. If there are opportunities to move up in the company I will gladly take the position if offered.

RSS Feed </> Embed