Sea World

www.seaworld.com

Sea World Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Sea World – San Diego – “Educator area of Tide Pool at Sea World”

Sea World President and CEO Jim Atchison

Jim Atchison

Pros
  • They hire a lot of people for seasonal positions and will employ you again for future summers if they are happy with your work(in 4 reviews)

• Get at least six free single day passes for friends and family(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to get a full time position(in 6 reviews)

• Low pay for amount of work done(in 6 reviews)

Great company

Food Service (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFull benefits for full time employees. Working there long term it turns into one big family.
    Its like a little city with there own auto, paint, metal, landscaping & maintenance shop.
    At times it may not be the job your doing, but the people you work with that's most beneficial.

ConsDifficult to get a full time position.
    Often promote from within company before opening up positions to outside company...both good and bad.

Black stone is sucking out the fun

Ride Tech (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsLots of knowledge to be gained, decent benefits, Fantastic time off structure. Full time gets 3 weeks optional holiday time off and 2 week vacation time off every year.

ConsStagnation, obvious favoritism, NO career ladder. Lowest starting pay and poor annual raises. This years raise was 2.5% across the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a solid Career latter.

My experience at sea world was interesting

Host/Hostess (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe PRO's about sea world is that it is a place that offers high school students and college students to make extra money over the summer and they pay above minimum wage so you are making a healthy amount of money. Also you get free tickets to sea world, the zoo and the wild animal park while you are an employee there.

ConsChallenges include working long hours, dealing with mean guests who are tired and drained from the sun, being called in at random hours in addition to working random hours. The supervisors and leads are usually young individuals, who if you are older might have a hard time taking orders from.

Advice to Senior Managementoffice culture sucks really bad, they all clique together and outcast new employees. The company hires anybody to be the manager or lead or supervisor, young, old whoever is willing to fill the position. Management was the worst part about working there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Provides for interesting stories later in life

Education (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGetting to interact with guests that are there to learn and enjoy their day makes your day fulfilling. Being around some really cool animals that makes a lot of people jealous is a pretty neat thing. Worked with a great bunch of people in my department.

ConsLow pay for job requirements. Work schedule that changes daily - hard to find coverage when you need to be other places. Being exposed to all sorts of weather situations - rain, heat, humidity. Management was not flexible, nor used common sense when working schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of great people...work with them on their schedules. You hired educated adults - treat them as such.

Positive

Dolphin Photographer (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsReceived two pay raises within my first year working there. Supervisors and coworkers are very friendly. Sea World offers many employee extras such as free tickets to other parks and activities.

ConsAs a part time employee, I can only receive 28 hours. There are not that many full time positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore making decisions on changing the way things are run out in the park, discuss with those that are actually working in the area instead of taking suggestions from those sitting in an office.

Good place to work if you are in college

Bathroom and Resort Attendant (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsLots of friendly co-workers
    Quite a few hours available each week
    Varied job activities
    annual pay raise
    Free access to all Sea World and Universal parks
    Willing to work around your college schedule

ConsAnnual pay raise really not that much ( I think it was around 25-50 cents a year)
    Holidays are mandatory. I worked at Discovery Cove and we got 2 major holidays off every year that we had input in. We were able to request 2 of the following days off: Christmas, Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving, New Years Day, New Years Eve. We usually got our first pick off, but you weren't guaranteed to get your choice on the second one

Good place to work

Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat hours, decent pay, free lunch

ConsStrict schedule, rarely got time off

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree pass that's about it

ConsLow pay for amount of work done

decent internship

Intern (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

Prosfun, friendly, great benefits. pay was excellent for a summer gig and i had a blast with all my colleagues.

Constourists are tough but that is true of the entire hospitality industry - glad I got out of this field.

"Great place to work"

Culinary Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt's a place that one has equal opportunity to grow and develop. In addition, they are flexible with school schedules and any changes in availability. As for management, they are always
    available to answer questions and assist with personal growth.

ConsThe off-season is a hard time for part time employees. The hours are not as extensive has summer hours. One might get 4 hours a week to 24 hours.

Worked for Sea World? Contribute to the Community!