Sea to Summit Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Andrew Dunbar

1. A great outdoor industry company!

Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in Boulder, CO

I worked at Sea to Summit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Sea to Summit for 3+ years in both their Boulder, CO and Portland, OR offices. One of the many things that attracted me was the size of the company and the close-knit environment. I love working for smaller companies and though STS has exponentially grown over the years, they continue to maintain that 'smaller' feel. At the same time, it was super exciting to work there- STS makes some of the best gear around, and the innovation and design continues to grow and evolve in fantastic ways. I learned more than I ever expected to about outdoor gear- sleeping bags, dry bags, fabrics, tech aspects, you name it! The staff there, both in the office as well as the reps who are on the road are extremely well educated- a point that STS should pride itself on, they really do know their product inside and out. The offices during my time there were loud and busy and fun. Sometimes chaotic, but if you're able to work in more open, shared spaces then no problem! The dog friendly policy was awesome- my dog came to work with me everyday, along with a bunch of other pups...a great perk! If you're looking for a job in the Outdoor Industry, I would recommend STS wholeheartedly. I appreciate the years I spent there and the invaluable amount of knowledge I gained has served me well since. If you're looking for growth then be prepared to stand up for yourself and actively seek it out. They are receptive to those who want more responsibility, and I learned through experience that if you want something you'll have to prove it...not a bad thing, but don't expect any handouts. They embody the 'work hard, play hard' motto that infuses most outdoor industry companies...sometimes the 'work hard' can overwhelm, but it's really up to the individual to maintain the work-life balance that best suits them!

Cons

Overall, I felt like my compensation was adequate and on par with similar jobs in the industry. The benefits at STS were pretty great. Health benefits and company vesting options never left me wanting. The office dynamic is definitely different...it's a bit quirky, can be a bit intense and blunt, for lack of a better word. But I think it totally depends on your personality whether you feel like you can work well with a myriad of different people and personalities that can butt heads. I will say that STS does a pretty good job hiring people who are a good fit- I had great colleagues during my time there.

Advice to Management

“Appreciate everything your associates do for the business. Nothing else can quite substitute for a few well-chosen, well-timed, sincere words of praise. They’re absolutely free and worth a fortune.” - Sam Walton

My dog loved it !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sea to Summit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sea to Summit is awesome! Everyone brings their dog to work and the office is a super casual and fun place to work. I worked there for 2 years and enjoyed the atmosphere and fact that its generally a fast paced, challenging environment.

Cons

Promotions from within are sometimes a little slow to happen, although not any slower than most companies this size. They are growing pretty fast so this was starting to change.

Advice to Management

4 day work week!

Walk Away!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Sea to Summit

Pros

The owners are very un-aware of what goes on from day to day so you are not micro-managed. There is very little communication so it is easy to stay focused on the MANY tasks given to you on a daily basis out side of your normal job responsibilities. You get to work with a wide variety of personalities because there is a large number of employees coming & going.

Cons

Although they are a "growing company" they do not hire enough people to handle the work load therefore putting a lot of stress on the employees to meet unrealistic deadlines. OT is frowned upon as well in spite of the work load. Disciplinary action will be taken against you for working too hard & resulting in OT. The owners do not like to show their gratitude for a job well done. It is expected that you will enjoy your job & work for them with low pay, long unpaid hours & barely any benefits.

Advice to Management

Dissolve the business before you lose it all!!

Wouldn't Work Here

I have been working at Sea to Summit

Pros

Not many; however, you do get to work with a lot of different people because the turnover is so high. Be aware that when you see job posting for Sea to Summit that it says they are a "fast growing company;" however, the turnover in the company for the last 6 months has been well over 50%.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement is nil, the owners will only higher their friends for new positions. Most of the time, the person they put in place has no clue what they are doing. The environment isn't inviting at all and is generally hostile with the owners and their friends excluding the rest of the company and treating them like peons who aren't important. Also, pay is always a point of contention and even if you work OT, you might not get paid for it.

Advice to Management

Quit making the same mistakes month after month and hire someone who actually has some experience doing the job you hire them for. IF you want to keep your employees, quit treating us like we are worthless and are 100% expendable at any time.

RSS Feed </> Embed