SeaLevel Systems Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Tom O'Hanlan

1. Great local growing company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty, SC

I have been working at SeaLevel Systems

Pros

Above average industry pay, profit sharing, insurance benefits, almost everyone is friendly and fun to work with, nice events for the employees throughout the year.

Cons

1 or 2 hard to get along with coworkers but besides that, nothing noteworthy. You will work hard but Sealevel will reward you. Regardless of your background, it takes at least a year to fully comprehend what Sealevel's products do.

Advice to Management

Work on communication and improve training program for new hires. Consider having a new employee work spend time with various departments to better understand business.

2. territory manager

I worked at SeaLevel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to my home. Small company therefore you can see sales, shipping, manufacturing, customer service.

Cons

There were some great people there, however, the management is very unprofessional. They lure people in with leather sofas and sculptures, but there is a tremendous amount of tension and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Since working there I have periodically checked the contact information. Most of the names have changed except about 3 who are not related to the CEO. Hmmmm.....

3. Not a recommended place to stay

I worked at SeaLevel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a growing company and at the same time is really a small company so you get to know everyone. I wouldn't call Sealevel's products cutting edge as it's basically making IO converters and rugged computers. Nothing amazing to write home about but it's a niche space that it excels at.

Cons

The problem is the management. When I worked there, I got blamed for not using the right revision of a part that was in inventory. The thing was, I was a recent graduate and there were no design reviews with the senior engineer nor did anyone tell me to use that part. Basically, I was a scapegoat in all of this as nobody wanted to take responsibility. This led to a disciplinary action where management gave me an ultimatum. Either succeed in the next project or find a new job. This was said to me in front of HR and another senior engineer in a private room. So of course I raised my sleeves and was ready to show them what I could do. Then for the next few months, I worked on one custom design with minimal help, which my job was depended upon, and was mostly successful. I even wrote some test code to exercise the hardware which nobody asked me to do. For the first iteration, I got everything to work and just needed some extra caps to clean up some signal (need to spin another board because there weren't pads there). For a first pass of a PCB design, it was more than satisfactory. However, I was still shown to the door AFTER I had done all the debugging and testing. I would think a verbal agreement is considered a LEGAL obligation and I probably could have tried to sue Sealevel systems. To be frank, I was very disappointed in the shady management practices but you have to remember that it's a small, family owned company. This is why nepotism, especially in management, is a bad idea because those individuals are not typically qualified to be managing. Oh, and because it is such a small company, good luck trying to move up. That is NOT going to happen. Look elsewhere if you want that. My firing, however, was actually a blessing in disguise as I found much better opportunities and much more lucrative. Now that I have gotten significant experience in the industry, I look back and shiver at the thought of working at a place like that again. No amount of money could ever make me work at Sealevel.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect

5. Be aware of working here. Probably only for fresh graduates to get some experience but that's all.

I worked at SeaLevel Systems

Pros

Small business like atmosphere so there's no bureacracy that gets in the way of getting things done like you see in big companies.

Cons

No room to grow or advance in career and pretty lousy pay compared to what's out there. The "president" of the company is a guy who couldn't make it on his own and acts like a big shot to run the place like a dictatorship. This place has had high turnover rate.

RSS Feed </> Embed