SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

Updated November 15, 2014
3.6

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment President & Chief Executive Officer Jim Atchison
Jim Atchison

Pros
  • Free tickets and other employee events are a great bonus (in 16 reviews)

• Working here gets you into any SeaWorld park for free, anytime (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, it can be hard to move up to full-time / leadership depending on your area (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours; menial tasks at times; guests can be challenging (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for Seaworld

Current Employee - Cook in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cook in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seaworld is a good place to work. We use teamwork to get tasks accomplished, so both employees and guests can have a wonderful experience. Management is helpful and gives you everything you need. There are times where the work is fast-paced, but with time, you learn to keep up. The best part about working for Seaworld is free access to the park with your employee badge - along with the complimentary one-day tickets. I always take my family, and we have a blast!

Cons

There are times where we are expected to work long hours when employees call in. There were some instances where I personally was unable to take my lunch break.

What's important for leadership to consider is our work/life balance. While we are here at work to accomplish a goal of world-class guest service, leadership should always consider the needs of employees outside of work. Fair treatment in terms of hours worked and breaks given - is a must.

Great company to work for!

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

Pros

Great starting pay and work with great people! Fun work environment!

Cons

Sometimes there's not a lot of hours on off season.

Try to give more hours.

Unique Place to Work

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what makes the company. Time off allowance is fantastic.

Cons

Perks could be better, communication is terrible, change management is an issue. Operational positions struggle more than administrative positions.

Dynamic and fun work environment but little upward growth. I was OK with leaving but I do really miss working here.

Former Employee - Educator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Educator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good experience, fun activities and perks, lot of variety as far as work tasks--you can really do above your basic duties if you want, ability to get experience with the animals; Being in the education department you really became the spokesperson for the park and animals when interacting with guests.

Cons

lack of communication/interaction with management, favoritism, limited resources, can't really move up or get a full-time position until someone retires, etc.

Engage with in-park staff more

exciting

Current Employee - Culinary in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Culinary in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

getting tickets and sharing my work life with my family members. I like the fact that the animals are really being taken care of. seaworld really connects, celebrates ad cares for it guests.

Cons

no being able to rescue animals

continue to teach more

It's OK

Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor
    Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

free tickets, it pays more then minimum wage, and Shamu. you will never be able to work so safely with sea animals everyday or have as much fun with your guest, that is what makes you go to work every day

Cons

the schedule is horrible in the summer time and if you limit your availability you will get closing all closing shifts on your any all days , No hours to go around if not full time under 18 every two weeks. everything is broken I feel sorry for the guest that pay 86 dollars a person to get in.

Recognize people that have been their for years, working their butts off and not just the people you go to the clubs with

Low pay...long hours... dead end job

Former Employee - Animal Trainer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Animal Trainer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Animals... most of SW San Antonio know each other, I guess that's good. Really there is a 20 word minimum. .. I cant think of much else besides the animals.

Cons

You are used and abused... little respect is given to any hourly employee. Pay is low. Most animal staff are there because of the animals... not because management or pay. The Peter Principle is in full effect. There is an undercurrent of deceit. .. communication is horrible. Lots of secrets and twisted perceptions of truth... this because SW is under a magnifying glass. Do not get a minute of OT you will be written up...although millions of dollars are horribly spent.

Zoological VP's and curators and assistant curators needs to let the front line do their job. There is no trust that the staff will do the right thing... too much micro-management. HIRE MORE STAFF!! If you treat the staff that care for the animals this way... what does it say about the treatment of the animals themselves.

Good for Entry Level Employees

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Orlando, FL

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There was a lot of nice people that worked there. Great Team Member events and ticket benefits.

Cons

No real management leading the team. Lack of working hours. Very hard to get promoted to full time if you are hired part time or seasonal.

Give your current team members hours and stop having the managers be less rude, then maybe the employee morale and park attendance would increase.

It is alright

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice to work at a theme park

Cons

Quality has gone down hill

Fun summer job, but wish I was in another department

Current Employee - Merchandise Photography in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Photography in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, comp tickets, discounted merchandise, services, and tickets to other attractions, above minimum wage, flexible schedule

Cons

Leaders were particularly distant, favoritism, unrealistic quotas that are not flexible according to incoming guests

Change quotas from hour to hour, make more effort to boost morale for your department's team members, really listen to your employees, make more effort to connect with your own employees

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment Photos