SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

Updated September 14, 2014
3.5

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment President & Chief Executive Officer Jim Atchison
Jim Atchison

Pros
  • Free tickets and other employee events are a great bonus (in 9 reviews)

• SW has a great culture and is a fun place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little full time positions open, mostly part time with 28hr/week rule (in 9 reviews)

• Working long hours with a small salary is never fun but sometimes that's the sacrifice we make to work with animals (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, variety, with a variable schedule

Current Employee - Educator
    Current Employee - Educator

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on your department, there are many different roles to take on. New training. A lot of horizontal mobility between departments. Never dull. Makes sense for a place that combines theme park, aquarium, and zoo. Culture and leadership is supportive.

Cons

Schedule. As the summer hits it can be very tiring with the number of guests combined with potentially long hours. Then in the off season it's the opposite: not as much to do. Goes with the territory. Also, it can be hard to move up to full-time / leadership depending on your area.

SeaWorld simultaneously caters to animal lovers and job-seekers with boundless energy and true desire to work.

Current Employee - Seasonal Park Prep Hostess/Janitorial  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Park Prep Hostess/Janitorial in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

The most obvious benefits are the people you work with, the guests you interact with, and the opportunities employees have to experience animals they would only ever find in the wild, right here, in San Diego. Park Prep/Park Quality and Janitorial positions take a lot of work and dedication; a sharp-minded and productive employee's shift is almost guaranteed to end on a good note.

Cons

My position is seasonal, and while I have no qualms cleaning, I feel my real strengths are being overlooked.
    Those searching for an easy summer job will be satisified; there are plenty opportunities to cut corners and slack off [much to the dismay of coworkers who WANT to work hard].

Continue being as patient and helpful as you are now, it's appreciated. If, in the Park Quality warehouse, it'd be possible to get some colored markers [the simple ones primary schoolers use] available, that would be cool. It would make color-coding the map easier, which is otherwise black and white and difficult to read.

Stagnant career opportunities and incompetent management with an unresonably physically exhaustive work demand

Current Employee - Specialized Sales Clerk (Vending)  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Specialized Sales Clerk (Vending) in Orlando, FL

Pros

Free Theme Park Tickets to any of the company's parks except Discovery Cove.

You can get into Universal Orlando for free when not on a black-out date (which is most of summer)

Very lax attendance policy in some if not most areas of the park

Though it also means lack of support or training, the lack of management can also make a work day bearable

A decent discount on your cellphone bill depending on your provider through the companies majority shareholding investment group.

There are generally opportunities to get other benefits like entry into other Orlando attractions.

Cons

It's a bit of a read but I have a conclusion at the bottom if you must.

They will excessively overwork their employees in harsh weather conditions even though official policy prohibits them from doing so -sometimes on the technicality that the weather is a code "red" and not a code "purple" (that is to say that it's still raining and thundering but just a little less). It's been my experience that management and even 'wannbe management' interns will try to send you out into the rain to go to the other side of the park or ask you to sell in scolding heat while wearing a silly hat that everyone in our position has been complaining about

It is not rare for someone to quit on their first day because of the amount of weight they are required to carry for hours on end.

Management is incompetent in how sales actually works if they are even present to lend you support while you are selling.

There is 0 training. You go to the general orientation that everyone starting at the park attends which talks about some of the history of the company but on your first day as a merchant you will literally be given an apron with money and a tray full of merchandise that you sign-off on and told to go out and sell by walking up and down stadium stairs that you are not used to walking and is a serious tripping hazard (employees have fallen on their butts a few times before). If you're lucky you will get to work with someone who is more experienced than you and they will volunteer thenselves to be your unofficial trainer (company policy prohibits for non-trainers to actually train other employees so they are taking a slight risk)

Lack of management and training to an extent can lead to an air of independence but taken to the extreme SeaWorld has allowed it to get to and you often get mis or under-informed employees a dangerous work environment and an often frustrating one because the onus is still placed on you by guest and management for things you simply weren't trained for.

I'm still uncertain if this is just industry practice but at least in the company's Vending department it seems that management (on those occasions that they are rarely present) give write-ups or a Performance Tracking Form (PTF) to their employees as if to just have a blemish on their record so that they can have something to point towards if things go sour.

There is very little opportunity to move up in the company. Ever since my first day all I have been told by employees that have been in the company for 5+ years is that there is no way to get a full time job at the company and that even just going up in positions as a part time can be difficult.

This may be considered a pro but I'm placing it under con because the company only raised pay rates recently because their hand was forced by the competition.

It's of the least exciting parks to work in.

Wardrobe, unlike in other theme parks I have worked for, is not opened for your convenience. they are opened m-sat from 8am to 5 or 6ish which makes it difficult to get an alteration or fix your badge before or after your shift without cutting into your personal life.

Unlike other theme parks you are not paid for the entirety of scheduled shift if you are sent home early. You will only be paid a max of 2 hours just for reporting if you are sent home within 2 hours of showing up for work.

0 benefit in terms of health insurance, 401k, etc.

In many ways the amateur ways in which this company operates is painfully obvious especially when you compare how structured other parks like Disney or Universal operate. You can see it right away even before you finish orientation when they fail to offer you even a decent tour of the park. They still don't take credit cards for outside specialized vendors, which leads to disappointed guest and they're only just now catching up on some of the tech other parks have.

Ethical dilemmas I think is of the biggest cons in this list. Often you are told to sell merchandise that you know is defective, items that are overpriced and often break and you know this because you see the amount of "damages" that are stored in the back of the park and you are the face that is interacting with guest in an attempt to sell an item you aren't even receiving a commission on (I'm not endorsing commission as it often breeds dirty sales tactics and hostile work environment so I applaud SeaWorld if they recognized that much and is the reason they don't put commissions on sale). It's interesting that management asks for vendors to sell as though there is some sort of immediate incentive to sell when there clearly isn't one and it's also interesting to see how invested some in management are in how many sales there are even though they are not personally commissioned and I hear them talk about how badly their supervisor and/or the company treats them. It's my personal opinion but it makes me wonder if they even have lives outside of work and if they even have an internal life to speak of.

You can take my survey as anecdotal. I've talked with and overheard several people in our department, everyone from management, to Cash Control, to Specialized Sales Clerks (Vending) and everyone one concludes the same things: Complaints aren't heard, the position is to physically demanding even for the professionally trained athletes in our group, they give too little hours and little pay to make a decent living, fulltime jobs are hard to come by, ALMOST EVERYONE wants to desperately leave the Vending department for other departments at SeaWorld or other parks.

I think it is telling that I find the guests at the park more pleasant than the people I work for.

CONCLUSION:
    There are some decent departments in the company but, for the headaches that they offer, you are better of looking elsewhere if your only option at SeaWorld is Specialized Sales Clerk (Vending). And there is a reason employees often celebrate a code purple (which is when the park is basically shut down due to inclement weather). I honestly think OSHA should investigate this part of the park as much as they scrutinized the animal trainers.

I wanted to mentioned that on a side note during orientation, the guy heading the orientation made a fuss on how the company's majority shareholding investment group (Blackstone) maybe getting ready to make a move. I'm not endorsing any claims but it maybe interesting to just watch this company for a bit especially amongst their on going "Blackfish" controversy.

Not that they'd listen but, hey, start listening! I would just refer them to my list of cons.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work where employees are treated like family.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay is fair with great benefits. Free tickets and other employee events are a great bonus.

Cons

Most of the leadership has been around for a long time. While it is good for the stability of the company, it does mean that personal growth can be limited.

With the transition to a publicly traded company, leadership shouldn't forget their roots and should continue to treat employees as the #1 priority.

Life Guard

Current Employee - Deep Lifeguard  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Deep Lifeguard in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with your college classes

Cons

low pay, not many REAL opportunities to move up.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free tickets to parks.

Cons

Inconsistent scheduling (different shift every day with different days off), low pay, no benefits other than park tickets unless your full term permanent. Impossible to get into a full time permanent position. Training was extremely lacking. Customer service skills also extremely lacking.

Listen to your employees. This used to be a great place to work but has gone down hill tremendously with new ownership and management changes.

Overall great

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

Pros

The people are awesome, and the experience is one of a kind. You meet a lot of different people which is a fantastic thing

Cons

The way they schedule you is ridiculous. They expect you to work until 11 pm at night and come in again at 7 am the next morning.

Good Learning Experience

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

Pros

SW has a great culture and is a fun place to work

Cons

Big "start-up" company . People are given lots of responsibility but no authority - communication from top management is lacking. Promotions are not necessarily based on performance.

Great for students

Current Employee - Culinary Hostess  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Culinary Hostess in San Diego, CA

Pros

-gain experience for other jobs
    -fast paced
    - good people to work with

Cons

- company highly favors customers
    - rude customers
    - inconsistent hours during off season

restore full time hours to all employees during the summer instead of just seasonal.

Seasonal status

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

schedule flexibility, work life balance

Cons

not many hours, seasonal status

Treat employees like human

Worked for SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!