Seaboard Marine

www.seaboardmarine.com

Seaboard Marine Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Edward Gonzalez

Don't waste your talent nor your time with this company.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsBenefits from day one. Something you don't see in most big companies.

ConsThis company is run like a banana republic. Only those who are in the innner circle or family members of management will get good reviews and promotions. Also once management wants you gone, they will make your life a living hell, so that you can uit. Emplooee turnover is incredible; most employees don't last a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire leaders, not bosses. Hire personel with people skills and your company will be more successul.

Terrible Leadership. Bad Culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and few good long timers. Has lead the shipping industry. Good cargo handling equipment and some facilities.

ConsSmall power groups control everything and give few opportunities while creating a seriously toxic working environment for the majority outside the inbred circles. Closed back-door dealings leading to questionable business decisions and practices. Employees for positive change are pushed out of the company. Huge turnover in the last two years...

Advice to Senior ManagementShip is going down unless you get rid of the power hungry idiots that are destroying the company.

Very good benefits, great people to work with, but management needs to improve

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI learned a lot of the transportation industry, especially the impact the company has on our South Florida community. I also learned many essential skills within my department to make it a well-rounded experience. The people within my department, as well as other departments are great to work with. Plenty of work to go around, so you get to interact with people of diverse backgrounds. The company also offers great benefits to attract good people (most of the positions provide benefits upon the first day of hire)!

ConsSome managers within different departments don't know how to lead their employees effectively. Some of them became managers due to their long tenure with the company. Due to this "tenure status", it does not allow for good people to grow within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate all of your managers to make sure that they can foster its growth for the next thirty years. As a first step, make sure to communicate the company's vision to all of your employees so everyone is on the same page of how this great company can continue its presence within the 21st century.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company to work for...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Medley, FL

ProsExcelent benefits, 401K, health & dental insurance. Great deal of camaraderie!

ConsNot enough communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommercial divisions need to follow same standards.

Good company but very poor management. Supervisors should be sent to a training to become good supervisors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company w good benefits

ConsSupervisor for the 807 dept. needs better supervisory skills. When she sets her eye on someone she is definitely out to get them. She harasses people that do not fit in her clan. Definitely is one thing when her boss isn't there and another when her boss is. I hope they take all reviews in consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to reevaluate the supervisory skills their management posses

Neutral

Customer Service Team Leader (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsBenefits package is very attractive, not including the salary

ConsCo-workers that has been working for the company for many years, always block advance for the new employees. Not good management attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, to one of the vice-president

Great Company with a few quirks - but what company doesn't have them?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsSeaboard Marine's management cares about the employees. Although it may not be visible to the average employee who does not deal with the top management, there is a constant concern in retaining the hard working, talented, and dedicated individuals that have shown loyalty and a strong work ethic.

The company offers a pension plan in addition to a 401k plan; not many companies offer this.

The atmosphere in Medley and at the Port reflects a great deal of camaraderie.

It is a fast paced, high volume environment but you do get a sense of unity.

ConsInsufficient communication with all ranks.

Accounting Dept. is completely disorganized - Stay away

Accounting Department (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsSome nice people, decent pay, good benefits

ConsSenior Management and Corporate Management do not seem to care about the Accounting Dept employees. Lots of backstabbing in the department. People spying and telling lies about others. Really bad work-life balance. You will work long hours because of lack of leadership and purpose.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a change, for the sake of the good loyal employees you still have

Accounting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Medley, FL

Pros3 weeks PTO and two elective holidays,

ConsHorrible environment. Is like a concentration camp, and the controller is out of his mind!!
    Run away from it!! No matter the salary!

Ok company if you want job security and no career aspirations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Medley, FL

Pros- Job security as long as you do your job, follow rules and come in ontime.

Cons- Salaries are low due to not wanting to recruit top-talent.
    - Organization is run like a 'mom & pop' shop, with many conflict of interests throughout the company (i.e. personal relationships, relatives, etc.)
    - Lack of follow-thru on projects.
    - Business application systems are 'dated' to say the least.
    - Afraid to be progressive and edge-out the competition.
    - Lack of leadership.
    - No accountability by employees who have been w/the company for a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should re-evaluate all senior and mid management to 'cut-the-fat' as there are a lot of executives who do not 'get-it'. Take a page from 'Maersk' or 'Crowley'.

Worked for Seaboard Marine? Contribute to the Community!