Seagate Technology

Seagate Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Seagate Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Luczo

Steve Luczo

Pros
  • work life balance-- 9 to 5, cant believe those companies still exist :)(in 37 reviews)

• Great People, Good work environment(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • There is more upper management than many of the competitor organizations(in 9 reviews)

• Little opportunity for career advancement(in 8 reviews)

Senior Technical Track

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsTechnically challenging environment working with talented people. Development strategy and project decisions are data driven. Good people to work with and pretty good benefits (good benefits for employee, becoming less of a good deal for family members).

ConsQuestionable commitment of company to R&D. Increasing technical challenges of maintaining rate of storage density growth leads to questions of value / ROI of R&D (if density gains level off, hard drives will still be around as a commodity but R&D not as essential). This lead to pressure from upper management looking to cut R&D staff. Some locations seemed to offer more opportunity for advancement along the technical track.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommit to long term growth by investing in R&D to achieve technical leadership. Spend less time concerned with dividends, stock buybacks, self defeating cost savings.

Finally working at my favorite company

I T (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsPeople are friendly, job is challenging, planning personal/professional growth is expected. Flexibility for work life balance is encouraged. I really like my management team.

ConsGetting to know your personal resources can be a challenge with a Global company. Sometimes communication gets lost when trying to work through issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep solid communication between teams. It saves a lot of problems on big projects that unknowningly cross paths.

Intense but interesting

Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsCompetitive pay, very good benefits, commitment to personal and social well-being
    lots of bright, dedicated people working together

Conscyclic hiring / firing phases, rigid rank ordering required for evaluations
    a bit top-heavy in management
    somewhat silo-ed, departments guard their turf jealously
    sudden changes in direction, seemingly less from internal findings than following other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep honest with the employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work and life balance is just balanced!

Firmware Engineer II (Current Employee) Longmont, CO

Pros- Location: beautiful Rockies Front Range visible all day outside the window is really amazing
    - Office Culture: People are chilled out, hours are flexible
    - Type of Work: The type of work is usually good and managers are understanding.
    - Competition: In most teams, the competition is healthy and inspiring to work with some really smart people.

Cons- Difficulty of work: For new hires, the amount of information can be overwhelming and one requires a good manager and team to help overcome the learning curve. I do not think they take that seriously and it reflects badly on the engineer if he under performs.
    - Office Culture: As I said the office culture is great but the team's culture supersedes that.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general, improve on the training of new hires. More than management, it is a team initiative.

great

Prosjust want to find a summer job

Consthe biggest company of hard drive

Seagate

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

Prosgood company in terms of compensation, salary, flexibility

Consless career opportunity, location is also not as good since winter is too long in minnesota

Great Place to Work

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Bloomington, MN

ProsCasual, informal work enviornment. Flexibillity in work hours. Good benefits.

ConsTough to get permotions. Long-term prospects uncertain.

Advice to Senior ManagementLayout a clear plan where the company is headed 10 years down the road.

Great opportunity and excellent work/life balance!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat opportunity to manage huge data overseas
    Excellent work/life balance
    Decent compensation

ConsProbably not the best for Software Engineer since main industry for this company is not Software

A bottom line company

Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsA High technology company. They offer reasonable training.

ConsEmployees are just company resources

Well balanced and healthy work environment

Design Engineer || (Current Employee) Longmont, CO

ProsNice people to work with, you can get variety of tasks to work on. Good for fresh grads as mentoring is good. You can have easy life going on. Flexible office hours, can work from home at times.

ConsCompensation and benefits are average. Low on vacations. Slow on promotions. Immigration process is very slow. Your career growth can stagnate after few years.

Worked for Seagate Technology? Contribute to the Community!