Seagate Technology

Updated October 16, 2014
3.7

Seagate Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Luczo
Steve Luczo

Pros
  • Great work life balance at the moment, as management can not decide on projects to work on (in 46 reviews)

• Good work environment, people and far sighted strategy (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to provide more opportunities for career advancement (in 9 reviews)

• Your career growth can stagnate after few years (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Seagate is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Seagate is very flexible with work life balance. Everyone works hard to get products released and keep customers happy.

Cons

Work is always intense with long hours. Nothing great ever comes from easy work.

Always say thank you to employees for great work. Bonuses are always a great way to show appreciation, but at least saying thank means a lot.

Enjoying it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seagate employees! Most people seem pretty happy and are very helpful to new employees. I felt very welcomed into the team. Salary and benefit package seem competitive. Company is currently going through a transformation and jumping into new and exciting future.

Cons

Process oriented company...way too much process sometimes. We should be open more open to change.

Great Company

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people there are very nice and very helpful. They have lots of activities prepared, the working hour is flexible.

Cons

Some problems are very difficult to solve. Lots of Challenge jobs.

My experience was rewarding, pleasant, and very engaging.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Seagate Technology as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best things about working here are the co-workers. People I've come into contact with have been down to earth, easy to get a long with and very approachable. You will work hard, but you'll like the team that you're working with and that will make the work enjoyable and rewarding. Each team, depending on the department you're working in will be a different experience. Depending on the team you're in you might have to work some extra hours but the work-life balance is definitely manageable and you'll be able to keep a healthy balance.

Cons

I do not have any cons at the moment as I am still going through the training and job interview process. I will update in the future if I have any cons or issues.

Okay company

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+Good friendly working environment
    +Good work-life balance

Cons

-Slow career growth
    -Very conservative business model and processes

Anonymous

I have been working at Seagate Technology

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Not too many options in health benefits

good experience

I have been working at Seagate Technology

Pros

Friendly environment. Some pressure, but not a lot. Some appreciation award is good.

Cons

depends on the manager, some are very good and aggressive. Some are not good and doesn't support the employee.

Great Company For New Grad

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is great with working with new grads, nice work-life balance and great bonuses. The have lots of events and promotions to show employee appreciations.

Cons

HR often blocks promotions and raises.

Super place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has a great products, good workplace culture, good organization, nice work-life balance. Attitudes are very positive and departments work together well. Employees believe in the products and the executive management team.

Cons

Need to provide more opportunities for career advancement. Many people stuck in the same roles for too long.

Encourage more career development and growth.

Arrived at Seagate via Sandforce->LSI->Avago acquisition, and got screwed in the process.

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance at the moment, as management can not decide on projects to work on. We will soon have daily trips out of Silicon Valley to a Fremont facility that will allow us to experience startup like conditions in a big company.

Cons

This review is mainly specific to circumstances relating to arriving at Seagate via an acquisition (not a good thing). Seagate recently acquired the Flash Components Division of Avago Technologies, which previously acquired LSi, which previously acquired Sandforce. Many of the original Sandforce folks worked really hard to realize a technology and were still vesting a significant amount of the startup equity and mostly this vesting would have completed by late 2015. This equity had been maintained through the acquisition by LSI and Avago. Unfortunately Seagate chose not to recognize existing vesting schedules and came up with a retention scheme that basically screwed the longstanding creators of the technology. A gun was held to our heads in taking the deal to leave Avago and sign up with Seagate in which Avago threatened to withhold bonuses that would have been paid. Avago is basically a technology corporate raider that acquires companies and sells of pieces as it sees fit.

This has now lead to a very negative work environment in which the main topic of discussion is how badly treated people were and what other opportunities are available outside of Seagate. A number of people have already left, and It seems like the team is on the verge of complete disintegration, and Seagate will have purchased technology assets that are worthless without the creators of the technology. This seems so stupid as $450m was paid for the acquisition and the amount that engineers were screwed out of was probably in the $10m range.

I think it is already too late to save the Sandforce team, so posting this here for others that may end up in a similar situation. Get organized as a group early and protect yourself.

If you make an acquisition and want to retain key staff, treat them well. If you want to just keep the assets and have staff leave, then keep doing what you are doing.

Seagate Technology Photos