Seagate Technology

Seagate Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Seagate Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Luczo

Steve Luczo

Pros
  • work life balance-- 9 to 5, cant believe those companies still exist :) (in 37 reviews)

• Great People, Good work environment (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • There is more upper management than many of the competitor organizations (in 9 reviews)

• Little opportunity for career advancement (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

What you make it

Director (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsSalary
    Work Life Balance (Not for everyone here)
    Talented Peers
    Creative work

ConsTop Heavy
    Poor Bonus System
    HR Dept Sucks
    Company Morale Low

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of poor performers faster. Lots of people at company collecting paycheck and supporting overall company.

Command center operator

Prosgood company if you are willing to take the risk of not being able to make this a career

ConsHurting on cash flow. Downsizing done every 6 months to a year.

Advice to Senior Managementto much downsizing

Awesome

Tech Support Agent (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsFamily friendly company
    Encourage advancement
    Tuition reimbursement

ConsHealth breaks status
    Required to work the day after holiday even if it is your day off

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just Ok

Analyst II (Former Employee)

ProsI had a great team and manager. I also enjoyed the ability to grow and further my education along the way. I was provided several opportunities to further my experience outside of my title

ConsThe pay is very low and I was strung along for years being told that I would get a promotion which never happened. The company is overall very slow to act and it hinders some real innovation from happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your committed talent what they are worth!

3 Star is being nice.... (Depends on the Department!)

ProsLots of talented people
    Lots of projects
    Work Life Balance / Depending on Department

ConsMarketing needs retooling (ancient dinosaurs, free loaders, shady seedy types_
    Instead of overworking people, focus on effective communications, lessen the need for politics, and get the tactics fine tuned before you preach about strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote those who actually work, stop kowtowing to those who don't pull their weight. Don't get lost in the politics, this is still a great company and can definitely overtake its competitors, just WAKE UP and cut the FAT!

If you're good at 30,000 ft birds eye view, then stay there and don't play in the weeds with the foot soldiers. Stop rewarding the dead weight, be efficient, stop pretending, and stop campaigning constantly. Focus on your most valuable assets which is your TEAM and work on your communication skills. Please hire a decent WEB team, and realign priorities! (EX: Largest product category should be respected, treated, and compensated accordingly. Don't pay the big bucks to people who take 3 months to run reports or answer emails. True story.)

Interesting work, good colleagues, family friendly

ProsSkill development is encouraged. Pretty good mobility within the company if you want to try a new areas. Company is expanding beyond just hard drives. Flexible hours make it easy to accommodate family stuff. Wide range of work available. Some people like to be narrow specialist and others are broad generalists, both kinds of engineers are valued. Social culture, lots of leagues and civic opportunities. New exciting projects.

ConsTypical big company problems. Occasionally you run into someone who isn't getting the job done. Eventually it gets sorted out, but it can take a while for the hierarchy of management to zero in on the problem. New development is fun, but there is also a fair amount of legacy stuff that is expected to not be touched.

Good opportunities, lots of travel, high paced environment.

Managing Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Shakopee, MN

ProsGood pay, good challenges, very technical

Consslow moving, risk adverse, and technology usage is pretty behind the times

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance

Pretty good company

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Longmont, CO

ProsGood work-life balance. Not-very-high expectation from the management, so you'll feel you're always over-achieving

ConsThere are not may cons of Seagate. However depends on your career goals, you might find the company is not very agressive,

Great place to work!

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) Longmont, CO

ProsMany talented, hard working people. Pay, benefits and training are first-rate! There is an introductory course in disc drive technology, and many in-depth courses beyond that that are worthwhile and most are provided on-site.

ConsThe majority of folks are committed to the team's success - some of management is not. Lay-off's happen to all businesses during down-times. You need to be flexible and able to deal with ambiguity, as the requirements for a product can change on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was nice to hear from the CEO on-site and in video conferences, but hearing about a weekend trip to Africa for sightseeing made it clear that there was a clear separation between us working folks and top management.

Great company to work for.

Manager (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsThe people are wonderful. The work is generally interesting. Company is well managed and has been stable for a long time. It has outlasted numerous rivals by being well managed. Compensation OK but not great. Benefits good.

ConsToo much process. There are a lot of things that could be done much simpler than they are done. Human Resources is way more into process than it is productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to cut processes down significantly.

Worked for Seagate Technology? Contribute to the Community!