Seagate Technology Reviews

Reset
2.1
Seagate Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Luczo
Steve Luczo

Pros
  • Work Life Balance (Not for everyone here) (in 50 reviews)

• Great People, Good work environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • As with all companies there are some managers who are not as flexible as others with regard to time-off, work-life balance and training options (in 6 reviews)

• Your career growth can stagnate after few years (in 10 reviews)

1. Seagate technology work experience in technology

Former Employee - Senior Director in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The disk drive industry is interesting work

Cons

poor decision making ability, too much buracracy

Seagate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Personal Growth and Training when you could get it. There was a budget; however, the director were not approving of spending money on training

Cons

The management was not managers, they acted unprofessional

Advice to Management

Replace Most of the Directors

3. Overall balanced experience

Former Employee - Director, Human Resources in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Human Resources in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to balance work and personal live was achievable. Partnered with some of the leaders to drive effective business results. Reasonable infrastructure in place.

Cons

Lack of culture that drive full engagement with employees. Clear business direction was missing and in general a lack of communication on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Improve communication on a regular basis.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, location and products.

Cons

Slow to make decisions and decisions over ruled based on relationships instead of facts.

6. Seagate is a dynamic, results-oriented, success driven, well managed company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology

Pros

High quality products. Great people to work with. Great committment to the environment and the communities they work in. Company is committed to Six-sigma and provides plentiful data/information upon which to base decisions. Highly competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

Highly competitive industry puts more than average stress on being successful in every new product cycle. Large company and upper management can sometimes lose sight of what it takes to be successful.

Advice to Management

Since the reorganization of 2009, you are on the right track. The market is not cooperating but you need to continue to innovate and control costs and be ready for the next market upturn.

7. Slow company with more time to implement

I have been working at Seagate Technology

Pros

It is a good company if you are not aggressive and ambitous, Overall work is at slow pace and hence career growth is slow,

Cons

Very slow career growth. Company is risk averse and hence you end up being behind the technology curve versus others,

Horrible management is bringing the company down!

I have been working at Seagate Technology

Pros

Can be a solid company if the right people are in the right place. Talented individuals in the company Semi-good products

Cons

Low morale Bad company culture Management is clueless Employees are dissatisfied

Advice to Management

Concentrate on your employees. There is extremely low morale in the company and EVERYONE wants to leave the company. In the past 6 months, I know at least 2-3 people that have left our team/company each week. If you don't believe me, take a survey.

9. Don't get too attached to your job.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology

Pros

Seagte is one of the largest and best paying employers in Santa Cruz County. The benefits are very good as compared to most employers in the county, and comparable to most other large companies in nearby Silicon Valley. When the economy isn't crumbling and there are no lay offs in the foresable future, there does tend to be room for career growth and movement within the company.

Cons

Seagate is moving most of their functions to Asia. While not making an public announcement of it, the "understood" plan is that within a three to five year time frame, the company will have only a sales force and limited executive presence in the US. That idea does not make for much job security within the company and most people are stressed about losing their jobs as they watch the folks around them get outsourced. Steve Luczo wrote a company wide email about how he "loves" Seagate and how he thinks of Seagate as a family and how we should treat each other like family.....in my case I got that email the same say I go the news that my positioned was being outsourced to Asia and I had three months to stay and trail my own replacement. If I didn't stay, I would not be eligible for my severance package. Not very family like if you ask me.

Advice to Management

Be more transparant about what the companies short tem and long term employment goals are for the US employees. Your employees deserve the truth and the should have enough information to make the plans are career choices that are best for them and their families.

Management no longer exists that demonstrated and promoted great leadership, and treated the employees fairly.

Former Employee - Account Management in Scotts Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Account Management in Scotts Valley, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology

Pros

The employees are very hard working and are true team players.

Cons

Recent lack of leadership. Feels like they are trying to be sold, at any expense. Moral is very low which impacts employee passion to do their best.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees with respect again by being honest with them.

11. Good place to work, room for advancement

Current Employee - Analyst (Sales & Marketing Research) in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst (Sales & Marketing Research) in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at Seagate Technology

Pros

Good benefits, relaxed work ethic, nice people, well-respected company, flexible, some interesting projects

Cons

Promotions are too often based on who is fun or persuasive rather than who is intelligent, too many unqualified analysts, too many analysts (often bored), cyclical

Advice to Management

Recognize who deserves to be promoted based on intelligence Don't have analysts make final decisions/heavy input on who will be hired.

RSS Feed </> Embed