Seapine Software, Inc.

Seapine Software, Inc. Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014

Richard Riccetti

Good experience but in decline

Former Employee - Software Architect in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Mason, OH

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Seapine provides a great package of benefits.

Cons

Seapine has lost its top talent in the last few years. Unfortunately it's products have failed to keep up with changes in its market.

I am not optimistic about your prospects, but you may have one last chance. Your flagship product is a dinosaur with little future. It is time to rewrite from scratch. You need fresh ideas and the people currently in charge of TestTrack don't have them.

Not for developers

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Building is beautiful, hours are flexible, coworkers are nice. Ping-pong tournaments, march madness brackets and free food.

Cons

All of the smart people have left the building.
    The products here are heavy-weight, are built on old, old technology and are brittle so those that can have left within the last 24 months. Nothing gets updated because management is familiar with the existing stuff.
    They are trapped competing with free or nearly free competitors.
    The one differentiating product they had (QA Wizard) was basically shelved because the sales people can't understand it well enough to sell it.
    It is a sad situation. Many of us were rooting for the company to succeed but it has gone the way of Attachmate, sitting rotten on the shelf way past its sell-by date.

Hang in there little buddy. Maybe someday your competition will stop giving away their software.

j/k

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great cultule/perks such as potlucks, drinks, picnics, ping pong, board games etc...
    Friendly management and co-workers
    Good software development process
    Headquarters in good city in the Ohio area

Cons

Similar software products are free/open source, increasing the need to maintain sales in a declining market.

An OK place to work

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, free pop, flex time, yoga classes, ping pong tournaments, occasional free meals

Cons

Sometimes a lot of pressure to get things done in an impossible time frame. Little training. At times the employee is just thrown in to manage the best he can. Co-ops are counted as full time employees when schedules are set up.

Better start up plans are needed for new employees. Co-ops should not be treated as full time employees. They are slower.

Good people, struggling to find a market

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, great people. Minimal politics, and they really want to do the right thing for customers.

Cons

Product has fallen behind others. I don't think they can still compete.

Good place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment and great benefits. Lots of friendly people.

Many companies can claim to have 'open door' policies, but here they really mean it.

Cons

Lack of direction and vision by management. Overly cautious to adopt new technologies and methodologies. No training to speak of, but you are able to learn on your own as long as you get your tasks completed in a timely manner.

In today's software market, you cannot expect customers to wait 6 months for a new release. Work on smaller feature sets with faster time to market releases.

Failing to find its place in the mid-market

Current Employee - Anonymous in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Mason, OH

I have been working at Seapine Software, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Schedule is fairly flexible.

Cons

For a company that has been around since 1995, you would think they would have a better idea of what it takes to develop progressive, competitive solutions. There are no marketing efforts and the management turnover in sales is unlike anything I have ever encountered before. Company keeps talking about collaboration between sales and other groups, but nothing every occurs. No growth or advancement opportunities.

Actually listen to your employees on what it takes to be competitive in the marketplace.

Software Engineering Intern/Co-op

Former Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was easy, and not much was expected of me. Granted, this was also one of the main reasons why I did not enjoy it.

They had a gaming console that you could play on a break or at lunch.

Free m&m's?

Cons

Honestly, this company just made me realize this was *not* the type of company I wanted to work at. It was very corporate, none of my colleagues were the same age and could share in the experience (Apart from other interns/co-ops), I got absolutely zero help or mentorship from others - I was literally handed a book and said to read it, and no one was there to really show me around. Any time I *did* ask for help, I just got the most "wow, you're an idiot" vibe from anyone rather than any actual assistance - It was my first internship and I knew nothing at the time, and it's not that I can't pick things up easily (I work full time now as a Software Engineer and am even mentoring people younger than me coming from Ivy League universities) - Just with any sort of programming, you really need some help to get over the initial hurdle so you know *what* to even start to learn to begin with so the snowball effect can take place.

Just in general - the company was not very friendly, no one spoke with me, the cubicles make it seem so impersonal and depressing.

I also wasn't a huge fan of their product - especially as I worked on the Surround SCM team. They have other products, but with regards to Surround SCM - why not just use a free, better and more supported alternative like Git?

Please, more mentorship. There needs to be a program in place to really help new hires - and something to really help improve the company culture.

Disconnected Management

Former Employee - Development in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Development in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment, from an accommodations stand point. Nice size cubes, cozy atmosphere, super quiet, casual. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Draconian Development Management, someone has to die for you to get promoted, even then it's not guaranteed. No consistency in management of teams, some micro manage, others could care less if you just get your job done. That itself isn't a con, if you're in the latter category. Very little top down communication of direction. Quarterly meetings are usually spun.

Be honest with people. Treat them as you'd want to be treated.

Great place to start and learn basic qa skills

Former Employee - QA Co-Op in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - QA Co-Op in Mason, OH

I worked at Seapine Software, Inc. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They teach you new skills
    Experienced and helpful full time staff
    Break room stocked with drinks and a Wii
    Location is close to food options

Cons

Training consisted of reading a lot of pdf's
    Equipment is dated
    Virtual machines used for testing can run slow
    Repetitive work
    Tall walled cubicles and sometimes the place was quiet enough to hear a pen drop

Clear objectives for employees
    More interactive training program
    Clean up and clean out old issues and test cases
    Work on making a more team environment