Search Influence

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
3.5

Will Scott

It's great to be a part of this growing company.

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is laid back, but hardworking. They're smart, helpful, fun, and easy to work with. The owners are great about investing in the company's culture. They encourage continued education of the employees through various presentations as well as cross-departmental collaboration with various team building events. I know I can walk in the office every day with the opportunity to learn something new and to continue my professional development.

Cons

I think one of the cons of a laid back environment like that of Search Influence is simply the occasional employee who tries to take advantage of the system. But overall management seems to do a good job setting expectations and addressing issues where those expectations are not met.

Transparency is appreciated. I think employees enjoy listening to Will speak about the importance of company culture and the future goals of the company. He is great about putting things into perspective by explaining the impact a decision makes on individual departments, the customers, and the company as whole. Keep it up!

Dec 7, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking the time to post your review!

It means a lot to Angie and me, and to the whole team, when we get such positive feedback.

Having grown Search Influence from an idea to a
    ... More

Fast paced, fun, and challenging

I have been working at Search Influence full-time

Pros

The first and most notable pro is the team. This company and it's managers doing the hiring strive to find good people first, and great skills second. Both intra- and interdepartmentally, employees are incredibly collaborative and respectful of one another.

There are constant opportunities for growth and promotion, making this a place you can plant your roots and grow your career. The management staff is made up of high-energy professionals who are focused on their teams and developing professionals as well as producing great results for customers.

I can't go without talking about the company culture and atmosphere when discussing positives about Search Influence. In the last two years, management has invested in a "Team Building Committee," with dedicated budget for team-centric events and perks each quarter (including an annual company-sponsored crawfish boil). Most managers work "on the floor" with their employees in an open-air type environment. No cubicles! Team work is frequent and persistent, while independence at all levels is also required to get things done.

Another pro is the fact that the company is always adapting and looking for opportunities to become leaner, produce better work, and grow the team. Many established companies have little interest in changing their ways and I've heard this exact sentiment echoed by current employees who came from such companies. There's little opportunity to get bored in any job at Search Influence, and it's refreshing to know that your feedback regarding a process or product could very possibly affect change within the company.

Overtime is allowed (and is paid at time and a half for hourly employees) with approval from management. Managers don't have time to micro-manage so all employees are able to work independently, provided that they communicate with their managers frequently and openly. If you're the type of person who can't handle frequent change or doesn't know how to independently prioritize, then Search Influence is not the place for you.

Cons

As with any agency, there is often more work to do than there is time in the day. You might sometimes leave the office without accomplishing everything you'd hoped to that day, but managers support the team to ensure priorities are consistently met.

Continue investing in good people and helping managers with ongoing leadership training to best serve their teams. Don't stop hiring to keep up with the rapid growth in business.

Oct 27, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

It's important to us to both continue to hire great people and to make sure that they have an opportunity to be involved both at work and

Turn Over Didn't Equal Improvements

Former Employee - Writer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Writer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Search Influence as a contractor

Pros

The pay is straightforward.

Cons

The criteria for grading is subjective. Supervisors answer emails based on whether they think its a good question or not. They tend to talk down to writers and don't like answering questions about payment.

Future writers would probably appreciate being treated with respect from supervisors and management on a consistent basis. Providing training for how to communicate with staff is invaluable to a remote working position such as this.

Jun 16, 2014CEO

Thanks for your feedback. We have made a number of changes recently in both staffing and "feedback calibration" (making sure everyone is grading the same) which I hope are making a difference for ... More

A place I enjoy coming to everyday.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office is very relaxed and constantly growing. The Upper Management is open to hearing new ideas and always bettering the way the company does things. It's not often you find a company that is wants to hear opinions from all levels and actually take those opinions into consideration when making decisions.

With the company constantly growing, there is a lot of room for growth and promotion, but not without hard work.

The people at the office are fantastic and contribute greatly to how great this place is. They are extremely smart and innovative. You are constantly pushing yourself to keep up.

Cons

Being in this industry and with a company that is constantly growing, things are always changing. If you don't handle change well or not up for new challenges, this may not be the industry or company for you.

As long as you keep hiring great people, continue to listen to them and strive for this company to be "THE place to work", I can only imagine the future of Search Influence.

Growing Company with Employee Opportunities

Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Search Influence does an amazing job of finding and hiring young talent. In a booming industry that is still relatively young, Search Influence provides on the job training for all new employees. The time and energy this company spends on training new talent is a testament to the investment they are willing to make for their employees.

The team is constantly improving internal processes and hiring new members to accommodate the company's rapid growth. Between a booming industry and this growing company, the potential and opportunity to succeed is endless.

Cons

Online marketing and the tech industry is ever-changing and growing. The team is always looking for opportunities and ways to change to work flow proceeds to better improve processes. Some employees are not as flexible as others. If a high energy, fast paced work environment intimidates you, this is not the job for you.

They Care About Their Employees

Current Employee - Account Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Account Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Search Influence full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun perks and a cool work environment

Cons

I'm constantly pushing myself to do better which isn't a bad thing!

I'm excited to see how I can move up in the next couple of years

Beware: Fake Reviews, Terrible Employers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Search Influence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are exceptional at hiring smart, driven young professionals.
    The work atmosphere is pleasant at times.
    Free candy and coffee.

Cons

They turn educated and talented individuals into drones.
    Little professional growth or compensation.
    Incompetent management at all levels.

Value your employees.
    Learn some tact.
    Consider management courses.

Feb 13, 2014CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry Search Influence wasn't a fit for you. I'm not sure how recently you exited as this is anonymous, but we have, in the past year started hiring more seasoned middle ... More

Great at first, then terrible.

I worked at Search Influence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's no dress-code and you get to work with a lot of fun people, some of which are really intelligent and good at their jobs.

Cons

The wages are terrible to begin with, but even if you get promoted quickly and often, it doesn't add up to much. Even if you're a leader, strategist, or both, and demonstrate that you saved the company a lot of money, you probably won't get an appropriate salary.

If management happens to not like you, however, things can be much worse. I've seen people get lied to in interviews about promotions--the promise of quarterly promotions is always delivered in interviews, but I've witnessed those same people get denied the ability to get a quarterly review, and their performance is always downgraded for the purpose of denying these promotions when a review is actually granted.

Owners find other ways to break promises. In salary negotiations, you might feel like you can trust the owners if you're on their good side. They might turn down your salary ask and offer you 20% less and say things like "we don't know what kind of year we're going to have, but you know we share." If the economy is bad, and you're worried about pushing the envelope you might just settle. Because hey, after all, they did share with you an amount that was miniscule, but back then you hadn't demonstrated your value as much, and you still made very little. Surely the bonus would increase and you have no other options anyway. End of the year comes: the company has experienced incredible growth (inc 500) and you have proved your value yet again by saving the company money. But your "bonus" is almost nothing. It's the same as the year before when the company made less money and you were less important. Think about this: the bonus is approximately 4% of the difference between the salary you asked for and the salary you received. So what was put forth as possibly making up for the low salary offer, even when things are going as best as they can, ends up being 4% of what you were not given.

I worked here a long time and seen the company go through a lot of changes but there's probably been 1 out of 30-60 people that I can say was clearly satisfied with their job, but even that person could understand why everyone else hated it.

Oh and not to mention if you work here for any amount of time you will be required to sign a contract that says you can't use anything that you learned on the job in any other job. The agreement seems to be BS and doesn't seem to have held up in court, but the company will threaten you with it while you work there, and when you leave, do strange things to figure out where you're working next so that the HR department of your new company eventually gets a copy. If you work at a big company you're fine, but if you work at some small company the owner may let go of you out of fear.

There's no advice to give. The owners know that this a short-term, wreck-less venture. The owners are not stupid, they just don't care about sustaining this company. They seem to feel as though they can milk it for a while before the milk runs dry, then they will start a new company or get regular jobs.

Feb 9, 2014CEO

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry that Search Influence didn't work out for you. I'm also sorry that you didn't get to spend more time with Angie and me because you would realize that we ... More

A Digital Sweatshop

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Associate in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Search Influence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have an incredible knack for hiring nice, talented people willing to break their backs for next to nothing.

Cons

The management cares very little about their employees. The pay is far below average, and the benefits are so poor when I was there some people opted out of the company "benefits" for privately purchased insurance. They're perfectly fine with overworking everyone—anything less and you'll be exposed by the screens posted around the office which display your work quota for the day. It's almost Orwellian.

They're perfectly fine with it being a churn-and-burn shop. Bring people in, burn them out, watch them leave. They rope people in with promises of reviews/raises according to a structure, but the reviews rarely come and the raises are even less frequent. It would probably take 10 years of working there to even begin to earn anything remotely close to a fair wage.

Pay fair wages.

Feb 3, 2014CEO

Thank you for sharing your opinion. We ask for and try to incorporate employee feedback as quickly as we can to improve the experience for everyone.

I'm sorry Search Influence didn't work out for

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Search Influence

Pros

Coming on with very little knowledge of the online marketing industry, I was given hands-on, extensive training that prepared me to properly serve my role at SI. The company is growing exponentially due the quality of services provided, an engaging account management team, and intelligent and innovative employees. SI's company culture is fantastic, allowing the opportunity for multiple departments to come together for company sponsored events and activities. Our open work environment also allows for effective team/project collaboration.

Cons

Sick days are included in allotted accrued days off - not a separate offering.