Search Leaders Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
James W. Marmas

1. Flexible, and gave me the tools I asked for.

I have been working at Search Leaders

Pros

Work from home, making more money then ever before.

Cons

Haven't left my house in months. Send pizza.

Advice to Management

We should all meet up more this summer.

2. Great place to build your career

Current Employee - Client Services Representative in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Client Services Representative in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at Search Leaders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are, by far, the best part of this job. This includes upper management. A "good vibe" is something that is important in the office and a good rapport with your co-workers is something that everyone takes very seriously here. We often go out for happy hour or lunch together and genuinely enjoy each others' company.
    There is a very serious open door policy at Search Leaders. If you have an issue with anything, or just questions, it is always encouraged that you bring it up with management. They take what you have to say seriously, and do their best to help.
    I consider this a rather flat organization, as well. The owner is always in the office and always ready to chat with you. Upper management actually refers to you as their co-worker vs. an employee.
    They are constantly instituting new ways to earn bonuses and higher spiffs to increase your bottom line. If you are a true performer for the company, I have never seen them withhold a generous raise for you at your review.
    Money aside, there is a lot of room for upward mobility with this organization. Management is always looking for people to promote to a bigger position with more responsibility.

Cons

This is definitely a sales environment. It is not going to be the right fit for everyone. You have set daily and monthly goals that need to be met. After not meeting goals for 6+ months, people tend to review if this is the right environment for them and they sometimes decide to make a move.

Advice to Management

Keep managing the good rapport with current and future employees. Also, keep defining new goals for us to reach in all areas of our careers!

3. 9 years and still loving every minute of this job/company

Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Search Leaders full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started almost 9 years ago with RAD/Search Leaders as a Associate Recruiter working my way up through the ranks to the management level. If you are looking for a challenging but rewarding career I would recommend. In my opinion here are some of the pros.

1. Career advancement - For those that aren't scared of a little hard work. Management will reward those people with opportunities as promised.
    2. Environment - Laid back environment with a team atmosphere. Shifted from the every man for themselves mentality which most sales environments are. I have seen both sides.
    3. Work life balance - We all know things come up and getting time off to handle those issues has not been a problem.
    4. Annual company excursions - Twins suite @ Target Field every year is a nice perk and other seasonal company functions that we do on an annual basis.
    5. Sales - Selling career opportunities to potential applicants is highly rewarding especially when they get the opportunity.
    6. Mgmt Vision - The vision of top level mgmt and the future of Search Leaders is exciting.
    7. Compensation - Compensated nicely for the work you put in on base and incentives.
    8. Growth in IT - This is what RAD/SL is known for and business has been good. Also a CON, see below.
    9. Team - Solid group of individuals with good morals, values, and work ethic. Everyone is willing to help their fellow co-workers. We all want to see each other succeed.

Cons

Being here almost 9 years I have seen some lows as well. Fortunately, the lows have been few and far between. Here are some of my cons in my opinion.

1. Growth - Usually not a bad thing but in this case I feel we weren't ready to expand into other staffing markets outside of our core in IT. The old "we bit of more than we could chew saying" applies in this case.
    2. Communication - Communication between top level mgmt and mgmt has been an issue but has gotten better.
    3. Benefits - Got better in 2013 but still would like to see a 401K match at some point.
    4. Training - No training program when I started however in recent years one has been put in place. Still needs work but better.

Advice to Management

Just focus on what we know which is IT staffing and expand that into different national markets. Don't put the cart before the horse.

5. Opportunity To Advance

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at Search Leaders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I appreciate working at a place where you have an opportunity to advance when you put in work and time. Search leaders promotes from within, providing lots of opportunity to move up in the company very quickly. It's an open environment and you'll hear conversations daily to learn and develop your skills. Great training program for new recruiters and well as seasoned employees.

Cons

No cons. I have been very happy with the work environment. Different people will have different experiences based on their work ethic and competitive drive.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in great recruiters and giving monthly feedback on our performance

6. Fun culture, great place to work!!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at Search Leaders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back office environment
    Unlimited supply of coffee and candy
    Zero red tape, if you have a problem or just want to talk, the boss's door is always open
    IT Director is a great mentor
    Beers after we get out early EVERY Friday
    Summer hours
    Company outings (company paid)
    Flex schedules within reason
    Usually a contest running with GOOD prizes
    PTO, Holidays, no weekend or after hours work
    Dynamite location (west end SLP)
    Generous commission plan

Cons

No 401k match is really all I can think of..

Advice to Management

I love the generous spiffs provided for top performing employees. You are great at giving credit where credit is due.

Keep up the great environment and positive attitudes and I'm not going anywhere soon!

A High Turnover, Dogmatic Grindhouse

I worked at Search Leaders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A decent amount of the people I worked with were actually good people.
    - Some of the outings we had were fun.
    - The location is pretty awesome, really.

Cons

Before I lay out this laundry list for you, let me be clear: this is one person's opinion, one person's experiences, and one person's overall insight. I encourage you to conduct more research, get all of the facts, and form your own opinions and outlook on the organization before making an ultimate decision. In any case, here goes:

- The physical office environment is a standard cube far, high walls, and good luck if you want to take a short break or co-mingle with any colleagues for a minute; if you're not on the phone, you're losing the company money- and you'll know about it.

- The processes and methods employed are stagnant and rigid, and are entirely devoid of making for a good (or even respectable) candidate experience. Once an individual is recruited and put into the hiring cycle, they go from being a person making an important career decision to a commodity- a form of currency. There's so little follow up with candidates once they've been rejected or passed upon that the Search Leaders name is tarnished.

- There's little to no investment in employees, and they certainly don't really value you a whole lot. Once you're brought on, there's nothing in the form of real, tangible training. The turnover rate is alarming, and it all comes back to 'the numbers.' Given, it's a sales environment, so that is an extremely important facet of everything, but the pressure is high, the learning curve is short, and expectations are sometimes unreasonable. Good people are let go for avoidable reasons.

- The ownership is greedy and manipulative. Base salaries are alright for a lower-end entry level position, but don't expect a respectable- or fair- raise, even if you're a top producer. That, and the 'commission' structure in place is an outright joke.

- There's absolutely no clear business vision or foresight in the office- on every level. Trends, tools, marketing, employee investment, leadership...most everything is substandard or completely lacking, and the business suffers because of it.

- Transparency doesn't exist in any capacity. Employees are in the dark when it comes to what's really going on with the company, and the best way to get any input on those fronts is to go out and get drunk with the management.

- The 'benefits' and 'perks' that are lauded from the get go with them are framed as god's gift to you, but once you pull the naivete curtain away, you see that it's not even close to industry standard.

Advice to Management

Listen, learn, and progress. To stick with the old-school, ground-and-pound, smile-and-dial method is one thing, but if you're going to build a business on that you're going to need to change with the times and listen to those who know what they're talking about. Communication in the office and fair compensation are actually good, productive things- I would recommend taking a hard look at both.

Used and Abused

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Search Leaders full-time

Pros

There are still some good people left in the company.

Cons

Ownership and management have no respect or long term expectations from their staff. When I first started with the company, there was a hard work=$$$$ culture. Everything has degraded as the senior team members that created that environment were systematically let go. Search Leaders has cut half of their recruitment staff since 01/2013. This is a struggling company. With current leadership, that in my opinion, will continue to struggle in the future.

Advice to Management

Start to value the employees that make your company great, instead of treating them as expendable resources. You take too much credit for the good things that happen, and no blame for the mistakes.

Business Developer

Former Employee - Business Developer in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Former Employee - Business Developer in Saint Louis Park, MN

I worked at Search Leaders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn how to source

Cons

Commission on draw (equates to 1000 biweekly pay). If you do not succeed early you will never get out of the draw. Unrealistic expectations that are sub par to industry standards. Most of your peers will be individuals that did not make it with other firms.

Advice to Management

Market research on how success firms operate.

Not a business professional atmosphere, focused only on monetary figures, high pressure sales environment

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in Saint Louis Park, MN

I worked at Search Leaders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to make money, expand your network, and advance your career quickly within an small company where you work directly with upper level management.

Cons

No formal training process in place- training consists of watching about 8-10 hours of generic recruitment training videos

High pressure sales environment with people shouting across the office every time someone secures a deal

Depending upon your position; you are required to find your own leads through utilization of a recruiting account on a popular social networking site- leads will not be provided for you

Recruiters are entirely dependent upon account managers which means if your account manager is only in the office 3 days per week your potential candidates don't get called and cannot advance through the stages that follow

Timeline for management to gauge your success is very short, in this case less than 2 months. Turnover rate is very high. In the less than two months I saw two people fired and another person quit due to a disagreement with management

This is not a business professional environment to work in. Use of profanity is frequent among management as well as by the owner of the business during his "pep talks". Consumption of alcohol in the office for special occasions is not unheard of.

Advice to Management

Fully disclose the nature of the job and what is expected out of the employee with regards to production. Be sure to disclose in the interview that employee will be expected to provide their own leads and enough so to make 80 calls per day. Stress the time frame for which you expect to see production from the employee so they realize what they are working against.

Great place to learn and build a strong, long-lasting career in Executive Recruiting.

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Search Leaders

Pros

The opportunity to learn a new career and grow within that career over long haul is amazing. Building a career that will pay you 6 figures year in and year out. Management is very knowledgeable and has a strong vision for the future of the staffing industry and keeping us making money in it.

Cons

A lot of hard work. Must have a strong work ethic, but it pays very well.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed