Search Optics

Ambitious Company with Room for Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Search Optics full-time

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - Company is ahead of the curve in digital marketing
    - Smart & fun co-workers
    - Company is growing
    - Room for growth
    - Company truly cares for employees
    - Great health benefits

Cons

- Company is growing fast and therefore interdepartmental communication is lacking
    - Limited vacation days

- Increase communication through all departments
    - Increase telecommute options to work from home

Great Career Step and Responsibility

Former Employee - Account Management in Ferndale, MI
    Former Employee - Account Management in Ferndale, MI

I worked at Search Optics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I personally loved the responsibility I was given compared to my previous job at a larger agency. I am back now at a large agency and I often find myself frustrated with my inability to create change or have any access to a management team to improve a 'process.' Also the people at SO are great and more of a team. Search Optics was face paced and challenging. I really felt like the management team (at least in Ferndale) cared about the clients and what was best for them. They also cared about the employees and what was best for us.

Cons

No way around it; The CEO, who is based out of San Diego, is difficult to work for. Fortunately the company has created enough layers of management between him and most of the company that you almost never have to deal with him directly. The company is made up of 3 other equal partners and other various levels of upper management and they were all great to work for/with. I was often asked by 3 of the partners what tools I needed to make my job easier and often times those tools were provided in a matter of months (pretty fast for this industry). The access directly to make change was wonderful.

Care about the people that work for you. You have the best technology in the industry and really the sky is the limit, however a company is only as good as your people and their quality. Continue to share the vision of where your employees can go and where the company is going. Don't just say the words... actually implement.

Great Company

Current Employee - Technology in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Search Optics

Pros

Very fast paced and productive culture. While it may not be for everyone, it works very well for those who are willing to give their 110% and learn something new everyday.

Light years ahead of the industry when it comes to platforms and services. Always looking to improve product offerings.

Cons

Growing rapidly = Growing pains.

Great place to Work

I have been working at Search Optics

Pros

Great place to work. Always willing to hear your opinions and help you achieve your goals. Company culture is second to none.

Cons

Hiring younger work force can mean a high turnover and a lot of change.

Fast Paced, Some People Just Can't Keep Up

I have been working at Search Optics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Working Environment
    Executive Support in all departments
    Learn a lot, QUICKLY

Cons

Compensation is below average
    Sometimes feel under valued (but you will have that any where)

Develop key employees, it will benefit you in the end.

Find'em & Grind'em Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Ferndale, MI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Ferndale, MI

I worked at Search Optics

Pros

Good work culture, lots of free food and company events. Energetic team. They give you lots of information about digital marketing and some of the Team Leaders are very encouraging and informative. This is probably an excellent company to work for in ANY OTHER Department, but the sales is a nightmare.

Cons

This place has a higher turn over then Enron during the fall. Everybody is on edge about losing their job for good reason, they have 5 employees on the sales floor who have worked there for a year! The commission structure is terrible! You make about 12% on every 1000 dollars on sales, which are infrequent, then for every month afterward that you clients pay the profit is pocketed by the company ( your clients contribute monthly unless they cancel in which case you are in the hole!!!). Let me spell it out this is a high pressure sales floor with an incredible turn around and a poor commission structure.

Consider investing in your sales staff

Great place, Great experience, Just don't do Sales.

I have been working at Search Optics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back culture, Tons of free food and drinks. People like to party here outside of work and work events can be a ton of fun. You learn a ton of knowledge about the industry and digital marketing in general.

Cons

The sales team is a mess. Upper management has no clue what they are doing when it comes to the sales team. They hire people in bulk and then let half of the team go after two weeks because they can't cut it. The atmosphere is stagnant, and almost everyone on the team is worried about their jobs daily. You make well under market average for your job. This is a great jumping off point if you want to learn about Digital Marketing, but do not take a job on the sales team.

Start trusting the people that are on the floor day in and day out. When the CEO in San Diego is making decisions, against the advice of management in the office, it's probably not going to work out. I would probably put most of the failures of the company up to this point, squarely at the CEO's feet, as pretty much every single person I know in this company dreads talking to him and dealing with him. I don't know where this company is going, and pretty much the entire office is worrying about their careers at this point. Get your message together and decide what you want, because revenue is slowing and it's not going to get any better anytime soon.

Search Optics Response

Dec 4, 2014

We appreciate your positive outlook about the knowledge gained at Search Optics. Our company is growing fast, and a key component to that growth is giving career opportunities to individuals newer in ... More

Not what was promised

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ferndale, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ferndale, MI

I worked at Search Optics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some really great employees at this company but I think they will be moving on if the company continues the way it has been

Cons

Management doesn't understand how to build and sell a product. They prefer marketing/advertising and expect that business will come in great numbers.

Communicate!!!!

Diamond in the rough

I have been working at Search Optics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity at Search Optics but a lot of challenges as well. The owners seem to understand that investing in good people is key and have brought in a lot of strong managers and employees over the last year. The employees are very smart and hard working. It is a fun place to work most of the time. There is a ton of talent in the current workforce and opportunity to advance.

Cons

The company may have grown too large for the current executives to handle. They seem to contradict themselves often. They bring in senior management and let them go without giving them much time to prove themselves. They seem to be most loyal to those who agree with everything they say, instead of valuing a culture open to hearing opposing viewpoints. The recent hiring of a new COO will be a test to whether they are committed to doing the right thing.

Focus on what you do best and let others run the day to day business. Show your employees you value them by respecting them. Break down the barriers that exist between the offices. Focus on the OPTICS values and share your future plans for the company with the employees.

Good Career Starting Point

Current Employee - Marketing Services in Ferndale, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Services in Ferndale, MI

I have been working at Search Optics

Pros

Search Optics gives you chance to learn about the industry and enough experience to get a better job down the road. If you work here, expect to be contacted frequently by other companies in the industry that offer better pay and benefits. The majority of the people that work here are wonderful people.

Cons

Lack of communication (operations people have to lie to sales and the sales people have to lie to clients), compensation is unfair even within the same teams, and everyone is afraid of upper management.

People know more about what's going on than you think. Start making your actions match your messages. Start treating all employees regardless of position with respect.

Search Optics Response

Dec 12, 2014

We understand the importance of communication, and are focused on improving this not only within teams, but across departments. We do not tolerate the deliberate misleading of our employees or our ... More