Search Optics Reviews

Reset
3.2
Search Optics CEO David Ponn
David Ponn

Pros
  • The company is growing and changing which is a good thing, but there are some downsides to it (explained below) (in 3 reviews)

• Great company, great people, great culture (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Average agency pay (perhaps a bit lower), poor communication between departments, lack of vision for employees (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of people with entry-level experience in management-type roles (in 2 reviews)

Overall great place, but has its downfalls like every company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ferndale, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ferndale, MI

I have been working at Search Optics full-time

Pros

Excellent culture. One of the best groups of employees I've ever met. Search Optics embraces its employees' quirky, fun nature which increases productivity and makes it rarely feel like "work". They offer daily free lunches, snacks, soda, etc. and a fantastic work-life balance. The company prides itself on being a great place to work, and will go above and beyond to make sure that happens. Marketing Services (SEM, Social Media, Local, Display, etc) is where you want to be in this company. Here, I've found the greatest boss I've ever had and I thoroughly enjoy going to work every day. The free health insurance and benefits Search Optics offers are among the best in the industry from what I've seen so far.

Cons

Despite canned responses by HR, the company pays way below average which is incredibly discouraging. The payroll schedule is terrible, and despite the fact that everyone knows it, nobody will do anything to change it. There is also a lack of continued education and advancement within the company.

Advice to Management

Change payroll schedule to pay weekly or at least bi-weekly, and pay employees what they're worth if you expect them to stick around. After all, your employees are your most valuable assets. Spend time hiring more quality people instead of going on hiring/firing sprees, especially in the sales department. It brings down employee morale throughout the company.

Please adapt.

Current Employee - Digital Solutions Specialist in Ferndale, MI
    Current Employee - Digital Solutions Specialist in Ferndale, MI

I have been working at Search Optics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many pros to this company: free lunches, free insurance, great culture. Most people at this company do their best to welcome newcomers with open arms and a great attitude. It is laid back and the poor sales team tries to make things fun even given what has been going on in that department lately.

Cons

Management does not care about the sales team/account managers. Not only did they hire and fire almost 40 people in under 3 months, but they took away what little commission we were making in order to change the strategy to help the outside team, whilst forgetting the inside team. After all this, and changing job titles around numerous times, they are incapable of paying us the right amount of commission.

Advice to Management

Spend more time focusing on the team that is bringing in new business and also retaining it. Also, the synergy between the outside and inside sales team needs to be improved.

Working Hard and Hoping it Pays Off

I have been working at Search Optics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are fantastic: Free Lunch- meals are considered based on employee feedback, Employee Engagement is getting better- Cook outs, Tigers Tickets, etc. The laid-back atmosphere and I couldn't ask for a better office family.

Cons

Operates like a start- up

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees longevity with the company. Quality not quantity and you will produce a better product.

Cool place

Current Employee - N/A in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - N/A in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Search Optics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BbQ, free lunch, snacks, cool environment, opportunity with fast growth.

Cons

Parking is limited and there is a lack of training for employees and managers.

Advice to Management

Training is needed for advancing skills

Nice Facility

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Ferndale, MI
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Ferndale, MI

I worked at Search Optics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really nice office, free lunches, company outings occasionally, free health insurance. This position introduced me to digital marketing and it has led me into my current career which I love.

Cons

I was on the sales team, which was a complete mess. Some of the other departments seemed to be more organized and I may have enjoyed the position more if I were not on the digital solutions team. When I worked here it was extremely haphazard, on my first week I was given 30 accounts to take over - 3 immediately wanted to cancel and it was my job to win them back or else I was to blame for losing the monthly revenue. This was in my first week. It is straight cold calling in a highly saturated market. Not even your clients want to talk to you.

Web Designer

I worked at Search Optics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-free food -nice office -incentives every now and then

Cons

-no room for advancement -lack of communication between the three offices: ferndale, san diego, aliso viejo -lack of promotions and pay advancement -no logical rhyme or reason for promotions -work load was not managed between teams -inadequate pay

Advice to Management

communicate more and provide more career opportunities and room for advancement

New hire.. Like it so far

I have been working at Search Optics

Pros

Learning a lot right of the bat. Great environment. Young company. Great training.

Cons

After about three months, work was just dumped on us and we were expected to keep up. Clients can be demanding.

Search Engine Marketing Department is the best

I have been working at Search Optics full-time

Pros

Working for Search Optics, I have developed skills that I did not have when I first start working here. It was a slow transition but my eyes were opened to another side of the digital marketing world and I truly enjoy what my department does. I appreciate the peaceful environment, the unlimited help from my SEM colleagues, the location of the facility and diversity of the company.

Cons

It would be great if the company was able to send us to seminars and/or training class to further our education in Digital Marketing. Also, if the they were able to pay the employees according to the market value, it would be another great advantage.

Just okay.

I worked at Search Optics full-time

Pros

Very laid back environment. Great work life balance and flexibility.

Cons

Not much direction, and very capped potential.

Great growth environment

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Search Optics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very competitive, but if you are committed you will be recognized

Cons

You cannot hide, if you do not produce it will be evident to all

Advice to Management

Keep growing

RSS Feed </> Embed