Sears Reviews in Charlottesville, VA

2.4
3,777 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related (in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working at Sears, in Hardware, Lawn and Garden, and then Appliances. It was fun, and most of the employees are friendly and fun. I always got along great with the management team as well.

Cons

Pay is not the greatest, but not the worst either.

Please put less sales people on the floor. That made it really hard to make any money.

Not worth the trouble

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Sears

Pros

- There's room for advancement and moving around in the company most of the time.
    - Nice co-workers for the most part.
    - I was praised often for signing customers up for credit cards and rewards programs.

Cons

Management doesn't have their act together. I've been an employee at Sears for a month and, while my employee ID number was assigned, I've never been able to use it to punch in/out for shifts. This meant I had to use punch correction slips every week, which became very frustrating. After bringing this to the attention of my managers, I was repeatedly answered with, "I'll look into that." The issue was never resolved.

On top of that, despite my time with the company, I am still not included on weekly schedules when posted. I have to run to the back and ask for a schedule to be made. One week, I was given 3 different schedules by 3 different managers because I "still wasn't in the system". After a month! This lead to enormous confusion and tongue lashings that I did not deserve.

Furthermore, while I was trained well enough to operate a register, 90% of the job I had to teach myself or learn from trial and error. When I asked for advice on how to do a certain command on the computer, like a discount or a return or whatever, I was met with rolled eyes and exasperated sighs.

When you say you'll look into an employee's troubles/issues, follow through.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!