Sears

Sears Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related (in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights
480 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, smart and hard working. Beautiful facility. High pressure so need to be able to handle that.

DVP (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsSponsor H1B and Green Cards
    Beautiful and full facility HQ office
    Opportunity to work with really nice, smart people

ConsCompany is struggling, hence always pressure to do better
    Senior management is not people oriented
    No one is courageous enough to speak frankly to CEO/COB

Advice to Senior ManagementIn future, bus plan needs to be attainable
    Invest in the stores and store labor
    Get rid of junk in stores and replace with better merchandise

Review of Sears holdings company

Inventory Manager (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsDescent pay (I think) and easy work. Most of the people I work with a fairly friendly. If your are competent and hard working you can easily get promoted.

ConsThe company is on a fast track to the bottom. Senior leadership seems to have no long term strategy to turn the company around.

Advice to Senior Managementok

Definitely an opportunity for career advancement as long as you take initiative.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsGreat & some smart people, meaningful projects, open door policy, personal growth. Great place to start a career.

Consemployment brand, struggling company, innovative

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsVariety of technologies; flexibility of working houra

ConsBad compensations; poor benefits; bad coordination between different departments

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility with benefits

Overall a good place to work

Technical Manager (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

Prosrelaxed atmosphere, nice people to work with, employee discount, nice benefits, I have decent salary, not much work on the weekends and not many late nights

ConsNot much training or hope of going beyond the day to day. Low morale and a sense of being in a declining industry. No 401K matching. Small bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementReal training would be very helpful. When I started at SHC there was literally no training at all. I was thrown into my job and expected to go from desk to desk asking for help until I found someone that could tell me how to do the task at hand. Quality management would also be beneficial to the organization - especially when it comes to data and IT

OBU LIFE

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsRoom for growth if you're willing to put in the work.

ConsNone, its what you make it

Advice to Senior ManagementHire passion and train talent. Stop hiring your friends and family. And holding back hard working professional for no real reasons.980510

Good People, Bad Strategy

User Experience (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork with some of the smartest people in the business

ConsThere are so many different business units with different objectives. There is not a sense of unity. It is always a battle to get anything done.

Great company going through growing pains of separation

Director (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsSears Hometown and Outlet Stores, internally referred to as SHO or SHOS, separated from Sears Holdings and become a publicly traded company on the Nasdaq in October 2012.
    The company has a wonderful executive leadership team and a strong focus leadership development. Its success is deeply rooted in the success of locally owned and operated stores where we are contributing to entrepreneurs living their dreams, building successful businesses and giving back to their communities. Everyone who works their is passionate about customer service, hard working and committed to providing the highest level of support possible.

ConsOrganizational communication has progressively become more poor since our separation 2 years ago. Major decisions are often made by leadership with major time and effort put into ensuring we communicate the reasons clearly to the stores and field organization, while failing to engage the corporate support center staff who should be clear on strategy and able to offer our stores a single, unified message around major policy and process decisions.
    As a smaller company, there are fewer career growth opportunities than I am used to and a lot more competitive for the limited jobs. I am hopeful that as we continue to grow and add services, new opportunities will come available.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more focus and emphasis on communication with corporate support staff. As important as it is to get the message right to the field and the stores, it is equally as important to ensure the corporate staff understands how decisions are made and why so they can maintain confidence in the decisions and that they are being made for the right reasons.
    Keep working to focus on differentiate ourselves from Sears Holdings, which is perceived as dying brand, so we can be recognized for the growing and innovative company/brand we are. For example, I could not find out company on Glassdoor and often when you see jobs for our company on job boards they reflect the rating of Sears Holdings vs SHOS

just ok

Associate Buyer (Current Employee) Hoffman Est, IL

Prosmost people are really nice, pay is good comparable to similar companies, your experience is really dependent on what department you are placed in

Consretention rate is low for newer employees. people have either worked here their whole life or they will work here a few years and leave. very political to move up in the company. negative vibe and culture most of the time.

OK place to work

Cashier (Former Employee) West Dundee, IL

ProsNot disruptive on the life of a high school student or college student.
    Management leaves employees mostly alone, no constant bugging.
    If you need a job, companies like this are always hiring, but there is a reason for that. Because retention is low.

ConsPay is not much higher than competition.
    If you are part-time, don't expect holiday pay or bonus pay for working holidays. You are just expected to be there.
    Management pushes credit cards like you wouldn't believe. I have seen rude employees get more hours just because they got more applications in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop your desire for credit cards. I rarely shop at Sears for this reason. Because I feel bad for telling employees I don't want to apply. I can see the desperation in their eyes, and I know what it was like trying to get credit applications just to get some more hours.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!