Sears

2.5 3,531 reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

3,531 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people"
    in 112 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related"
    in 87 reviews
  • "You have to push warranty agreements and high percentage credit cards to get hours"
    in 143 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Beneficial, entry-level work experience - not a serious long-term prospect.

Consultative Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Peoria, IL

ProsThe best reasons to work for Sears are mostly sentimental and revolve around the company's former legacy, and because traces of that legacy remain. Benefits (commission, bonuses) were considerable in 2011, and the people I worked with/under were notable.

ConsBecause of Sears' gradual decline, much stress from store/district/regional managers radiates through the environment. The same decline also stifles opportunity for personal growth or advancement with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementA forty-year-old business plan doesn't cut it in 2014. Top management should have retail experience, particularly that involving today's movers and shakers. Invest the money to attract talent from Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.

Experience was good

Director, Strategy (Former Employee)
    Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsTop grade merchandise to sell, plenty of retail competition to stay energized, company in business for over 120 years, great, but declining, reputation with consumers,

ConsNo one makes any money, no pay increases for seven years employee benefits continue to whittle down, stores are in a constant state of disrepair and degradation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people, get back on track in retail, hire some retailing executives to lead the company

Very Educational

Assistant Retail Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Troy, MI

ProsIt really made me learn a lot about leadership, management, and other people.

ConsWork/life balance. I'm a hard worker and give it my all!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rely too much on computer evaluation

Backroom Associate (Current Employee)

ProsMostly flexible schedule, employee discount, can wear shorts in the summer.

ConsLooking for a salary increase annually? Not going to happen. Promotions? Only if the computer says so. You can work harder than anyone, but don't count on advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually speak to and interact with employees before you decide they aren't ready to be promoted. Promote hard workers, not suck ups.

Sale Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Pompano Beach, FL

ProsFun with coworkers, office meetings

Consno room for advancement, compensation was low, never got college schedule right.

Advice to Senior Managementgive raises and recognition to those who deserve it. I loved working here.

Who you know

ProsRelaxed dress code for the call center.

ConsTo get promoted in the company, it depends on who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote on talent and new ideas, not who's friends with who.

Customer Service/Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery flexible work schedule, Associates and Management are very honest and straight forward.

ConsNo opportunities to advance, little benefits and low pay.

The people that work there are great, but it does always seem very scattered and organized when it comes to management

ProsI have free time and it's good for gaining work experience. To me, it seems like a good first job where you're only looking for experience, not so much money to get through your week.

ConsPay isn't too great and it's highly based on how many credit applications you can get rather than your actual work ethic. I work hard bit get scolded for being too low in credit. Also, at least in my store, it's very unorganized when it comes to scheduling and my availability gets overlooked sometimes which is hard being a college student

Difficult

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the staff a the store level.

ConsThe company has not evolved is business operations since 1985.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at the fact that Micromanagement is not an effective tool. The system of operations, from the POS, to inventory management to personnel need to be updated to a modern (present day) system, not one from 1985.

Long hours for middle management. No work/life balance. Subjective performance evaluation, ideas not embraced.

Supervisor Or Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPeople on floor are genuine and trying to get the job done. Relationships with associates to build a team atmosphere and working/struggling together as a mid-management group to work through multiple changes and winding decision paths by senior leadership.

ConsNo work/life balance, increasing turnover. Management treated far worse than associates. Frequent GM turnover, new regime brings in new buddies and team to push old regime and ideas aside. Quick judgements made to value, efforts minimized and marginalized.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to middle management instead of holing up in meetings up front all day. Spend some time on the floor. Embrace ideas other than your own. Defend your best and hard-working team members when perceptions do not describe actual value to organization and team.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sears CEO Edward S. Lampert . All 3,531 reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees.