Sears

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Day of a sales Rep.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Mobile, AL

I have been working at Sears part-time for more than a year

ProsAble to work abound a schedule.

ConsThe company is a dead end job.

Sears Call Center is a bad job to have.

Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Mobile, AL

I worked at Sears full-time for more than a year

ProsThe opportunity to work with some good co-workers.

ConsInability to actually help too many of the customers that call in. Too many of the requirements are geared towards getting information from customers rather than actually providing them good customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the representatives and associates that actually have daily contact with the customers. Stop trying to use gimmicks such as insisting on an email address from every caller to garner feedback, and actually focus on things like availability of product, tracking orders, providing accurate information as to delivery and repair times.

Same old, Same old

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany has been around for years, a very large company with the Kmart merging, has a vast support network through their 888 number

Consthough the company has been around for years it has lost sight of the things that matter, the customer and the employees, to the company they are both just numbers. also to note... though the merger with kmart was supposed to make everything better (cheaper and more effective) the fact is it never came to fruition.

Advice to Senior Managementremember that people matter, when doing phone sales, limiting a call to 4 and a half minutes is not reasonable if you want good quality sales.. people don't want to be rushed or pushed for sales. Especially if they are the ones calling in.

I would never refer anyone to this company.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are no pros for working with this particular call center. Only cons.

ConsTerrible management
Horrible scheduling
Unreasonable sales goals
Customers are very upset because the company constantly cheats them
Terrible products with multiple problems
Higher turnover rate than your average call center
Mandatory overtime (sometimes, you wouldn't even know you had overtime on your schedule. They'd add it after you left for the day and then write you up for not doing the extra hours)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more reasonable with the employees that actually choose to stay with the company. Stop begging the people who don't want to be there to stay and actually treat the ones who are staying with respect.

Be more considerate to the customers needs. The policies and procedures should do more than make Sears more money. When a customers calls in with a problem, stop giving them the run around. If the department they reached has the ability to help the customer, HELP THEM! Constantly transferring a customer with a difficult situation (and then causing problems with the employees over transfer rates) is the best way to lose customers and employees.

Don't be afraid to get rid of those employees who aren't doing their part. Harass them like you harass your valuable employees.

Very unprofessional and out of touch with employees and customers needs.

Online Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLimited physical and education requirements various shifts available,training programs are ongoing

ConsRequire you persuade customers to not go into retail store.Not much opportunities for advancement, policy and procedures aren't followed by all management personnel

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees the in acordance to company policies and procedures. Do encourage division among employees by telling online personnel to discourage customers to not go into the retail stores to drive business to online sales.Instead promote a spirit of unity for a better work experience for all employees.

Many changes, heavy work load little compensation

Backroom Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCustomer service is a focus. Holiday pay, personal holidays. Only Sears full line store in this area.

ConsCo workers. Low morale. Very results based with no training or inspiration. No raises in 4 years. Senior management very complacent and not motivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the associates not the managers to find out what's reall going on.

Decent work

Hardlines MCA (Current Employee)
Mobile, AL

I have been working at Sears

ProsUsually my days are pretty relaxed and easy. I either put up sales signs for the week or put stock away as it comes in off the truck. Other responsibilities are included in this job such as Out of stock tickets and the like during early weekday shifts. Low pressure, easy work especially during the off seasons. Works with school schedules well, though I schedule classes around it a little. My managers are friendly and aren't afraid to do the work with you. Reasonable expectations on most days.

ConsDuring certain seasons (christmas, early summer) lots of stock comes in quickly and you are rushed. Inconsistent scheduling, you can't plan a budget in advance. No way to check your schedule without physically going to the store and logging into the computer there. Occasionally there is too much to do in too little time and won't give you more time to work even if you were only scheduled for seven hours that week. A few times they have changed my schedule without notifying me. Occasionally asked to do jobs alone that would be safer and more efficient with two people: moving refrigerators, mattresses, tvs, and heavy tool storage.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication between managers and employees. Advanced notice on any changes to schedules and procedures. A way to check your schedule online outside of the store would be nice. Consistent schedules, less hours during off seasons makes sense since less sales are made but never working the same schedule week to week makes planning anything outside of work hard.

I don't shop at Sears any more

Parts Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears

ProsIt's OK while you are looking for something better.

ConsWhat they don't tell you is that this is a sesonal job. The company will use every reason in thier books to fire you between December 25th and end of January. They star hiring again in February. Anothrt thing, - be prepared for andatory over time, 30 minute lunches and no time off in the summer. If you are sick, better call in than go to work. This is because if you come to work and then try to get off because you are not feeling well, they will not pay you for the time that you worked that day.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Not a place for ethical people

Parts Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears

ProsThere was one supportive manager there out of dozens....that doesn't help if you don't end up on her team.

Cons- Scheduled break times. Two paid 10 minute breaks in 8 hours - must break the very minute you're scheduled and get back on the computer/phone the very minute it's scheduled to end or your adherence time will be poor (and you'll be chastised and yelled at). You don't get to break with the friends you made in training, not that you can do much chatting in under 10 minutes anyway.

- One 30 minute non-paid lunch in 8 hours, scheduled and not at the same time as your friends. You have to bring something everyday or you're stuck with vending machine food -- you can't go get something and use the restroom and eat in less than 30 minutes.

- Was lied to during the interview and told I would be given Saturdays and Mondays off (a fixed schedule), but was forced to sign a flex-time schedule agreement and ended up working 2 Saturdays the 8 weeks I was there (I have classes on Saturdays).

- You're only given 32 hours a week outside of busy season in the "full-time" positions.

- You HAVE to follow ORM (Objection Resolution Management) which is basically turning a customer's "no" into a yes. You are trained to get as deep in a customer's pocket as you can, and it's the poor elderly that can't say no.

- People call their local stores to check store hours or get a price check but are routed over to our national call center where we have to talk them into buying something. if they don't, it hurts our turnover rate which is 40% (we have to make a sale in 40% of calls, with 2/3 of them being inquiries only, like a price check or return).

- When a person calls to order parts, we have to offer them an add-on product, a promo item (like $35 worth of poker chips!), refrigerator water filters, and talk them into letting a service man come to their home and give them a "free" estimate on home improvement services (then they're hounded with phone calls for months convincing them to have their cabinets resurfaced, new vinyl siding installed, etc.).

- You aren't assigned your own workstation or headphones. Some of those workstations are disgusting.

- I was told if I made it through 7 weeks of training, I'd be moved to another department. When I met with the head manager about switching departments, she "terminated my employment" for "not following policy" (not taking advantage of the elderly customers). She wouldn't accept my resignation letter I had typed up in advance in case they wouldn't get me out of that department, and I wasn't allowed to go back to my workstation and get my purse or things.

- Come to find out, even their customer service department is required to do ORM. It is their job to talk people out of returning wrong items (when the customer was shipped the wrong item). I kid you not. SO MANY customers expressed exhausted complaints about all the times Sears has screwed them over in the past.

- The "incentives" for making good sales dropped twice the 8 weeks I was there -- only 20% of people in parts actually got any sales incentives even though the majority were meeting the expected quotas.

- You can't have your cell phone in your hand or visible anywhere but the breakroom which is huge, loud, and very noisy. Walking with your phone in your hand will get you "wrote up". In the case of a family emergency, your family member has to call an 800 number and someone takes their time coming to get you and bring you to the phone. You are COMPLETELY cut off from the outside world the entire time you're at the computer.

- You are treated like a 1st grader rather than an adult. Management is HORRIBLE and cruel. You are a robot -- the only thing that matters are your numerous quota numbers. Your worth as a person is based on those numbers.

Working here was the most degrading, miserable, and embarrassing experience of my life. I'm a 37 year old MBA student and was the only employee in my department with any college education. I absolutely refuse to rip people off to get 10 bucks an hour (I wouldn't do it for 100 bucks an hour). I've furnished 2 new homes with Sears appliances, but NEVER AGAIN.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing a good job at disguising the fact that employees are being trained to take advantage of weak, confused people. I don't see how you people sleep at night.

Electronics

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears

ProsDiscount on electronics meeting new people learning about technology.

Conshours, management, salary once was commission now it is hourly pay

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and let the lead representatives do their job. Also keep televisions and high end electronics in stock no one in these days in times with stiff competition from best buy and walmart likes to wait over 3 days to get a tv.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears reviews and ratings in Mobile, AL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sears CEO Edward S. Lampert . All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees.