Sears

Sears Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance(in 86 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people(in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related(in 96 reviews)

• Corporate only cares about forcing Sears credit cards on all of the customers(in 162 reviews)

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Typical Retail Job

Consultative Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible hours, get to interact with people and work with some amazing people.

ConsUnderstaffed. A lot is expected from you with very little to no help at all.

Constant and complete chaos

Store General Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe employees were really great. There is also a monthly "Game On" competition that allows you to earn $2,500 a month if you can drive metrics. You can have pride selling Kenmore and Craftsman brands, customers really love their products. Payroll was not restricted, I felt like we were allotted enough hours to complete tasks and help customers (in most departments). The store manager training program in Chicago was extensive and comprehensive.

ConsThe pay is WAY below industry standards, no 401k match or annual raises. Customer service network is confusing and horrible. 100 different phone numbers (5 for installation, 5 for delivery, 5 for repair, 5 for appliances, 5 for lawn & garden, etc). You will find yourself apologizing to customers on behalf of the company A LOT. Wrong items delivered at wrong times to wrong addresses. 50% of your time will be spent chasing down issues for customers that you didn't cause. The stores are outdated, you will never receive new fixtures, carpet, registers, etc. no matter how bad your store looks. If you have a horrible, vengeful, incompetent DM like I did your life will be hell. Over 10 salaried managers left her district in a year, but she still has a job because the applicant pool for the company is anemic. If you don't feel comfortable driving metrics and alienating your associates because of it, then stay away.

It's Okay

Cashier (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople that were in the same positions as me were friendly, but people in other departments were much nicer. Asking for time off for appointments and personal things was no problem.

ConsPeople gossiped to much. A lot f favoritism with departments. More hours was shared for favored employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best people to work with.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood hands on work, great environment. You will meet the most friendliest of people to be around and the supervision will listen and be attentive to what you have to say.

ConsThe only downfall for working for a job just like every other job that contributes to the community with minimum wage is how low the amount you are paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise minimum wage please, with minimum wage you need at least 4 or 5 roommates just to afford a one bedroom apartment.

Amazingly bad pay, s--t flows downward - in high volume

Consultive Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMost coworkers are very nice. SOME bosses are as well. Dealing with customers CAN be pleasant. It's also close to home for me.

ConsCashiers and consultative sales associates cannot make a living wage in a high expense area. There are no raises in store. Managers and leads chosen from friends of friends or relatives - only. No one else gets promotions - management keeps good sales people in sales or encourages them to leave. Good managers come in - may last several months before they get so disgusted they leave or are fired for not being nasty enough.

There are also no benefits at all for most part timers. To become a full timer you have to abandon any outside commitments for any day or night of the week including volunteer work - Sears store management clearly discourages employees from doing any volunteer work. If you need to go to the doctor, it can be impossible to schedule an appointment (except during a week once you know your schedule) since you have no idea what your hours will be. During off periods, such as the heart of winter, the store can be empty and you may get as little as several hours per week as a part timer.

My favorite - Sears management quotas. If you don't shove enough credit card applications down customer's throats, you are in trouble. Don't sell enough extended warranties, you get a weekend early morning punishment meeting you have to go to - every single week (even if you are off or out of town). You may be required to use portable POS devices that may not work much of the time, and be in trouble if you don't. If you check out 6 or more minutes early (even after closing and your work is complete), you are in trouble. Get sick, and you are in trouble. And at least in my store, managers can call you lazy, incompetent, or a liar in front of a group of fellow employees and always get away with it.

And then there are the inventory issues - half of what customers come in looking for to buy, or get a warranty replacement for, are not in stock, can't be ordered, etc. Checkout for simple items can take 20 minutes due to register or POS portable problems. But you will be reminded daily about providing a WOW experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the metrics other then sales and profits. Get back to basic, treat employees like humans, not pack mules. Provide a living wage, and get rid of many of the horrific anti employee rules. and provide some reasonable benefits to part timers.

Great culture

Technical Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe culture is wonderful, very laid back and friendly.HR is very supportive.

ConsIn the beginning it looked like a truly level playing field but over time I began to notice the favoritism in a few areas. It truly disappointed me. It's right in your face.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement (not all) needs to walk the walk instead of merely talking the talk.

The working Poor

Service Tech (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosa Job is just a job

ConsOperated as a small business

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management is disconnected from on the ground management and sales , service asso.

Service Technician

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you are assigned to one specific territory its good.

ConsPoor Salary. Layed/ fired off when time gets slow

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect. provide better salaries and make environment more employee friendly.

Not So Great to Work at Sears, but Pay is great

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSalary is beyond what one would think
    Employees
    Workers
    Bonus
    Commissions
    Assistants
    Family company
    Some how still remain open even though a number of stores are failing.

ConsEverything such as all of the hire ups try to crush everyone's spirit and attempt to make people miserable. Possibly the worst work environment EVERRRR.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange because money can only go so far.

Ahh there are no raises really, I do loss prevention so the work is fun

Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible hours
    There's no one really on your back

ConsIf you get a bad stop your fired
    You are pressured to get a case

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management on the floor is disorganized
    The upper management need to think and implement better procedures

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!