Sears

2.5
4,296 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 98 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero thought given to work-life balance by management from a district level on up (in 108 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 204 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Over the past years I have learned to deal with numerous issues and develop processes to accommodate the office needs.

Current Employee - Office Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sears

Pros

The Office always has issues occur that may be unforeseen which need to be handle in a timely manner. Its a job that needs you to think on your feet and quickly while always keeping a positive demeanor..

Cons

Unfortunately my current position does not have room for growth at this company or office.

Create the next level of career path, such as a Facilities Manager, so that future candidates have room for growth and a future with SHC.

level 2 technician

Current Employee - Level II Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Level II Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Sears

Pros

good work env. good people. ok management. flex hours

Cons

base pay is low. commission isn't bad. if the shop is slow you don't make money

be more honest

Good

Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company for growth. Lots of opportunity.

Cons

Communication continues to be a concern.

Improve in stock

Sales

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Cool as job love the money and love helping ppl and selling easy money fat checks all the hours and foot ball

Cons

Hate the hours 6 days a week ten hours a day no life no life and on your feet all day and rude ppl

Failing quickly.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been trained in just about every operational capacity that you can imagine to run a retail store. Payroll processing and hours spent, cash control, merchandizing, inventory management, how to evaluate a P&L... You name it and I've done it at sears. There is so much to learn here, but that brings me to the cons....

Cons

There is one other competent person in the entire building. A few others that manage to not get in the way. By and large salaried management is a joke, but they've advanced their careers by sucking up to our similarly incompetent district manager. There is no common sense here. Awful delivery and installation teams that don't even work directly for sears that cost us literally thousands of sales dollars a week, awful company leadership and direction, I could go on forever. I've stayed for the money which isn't bad in my case but there is no one we don't hire at minimum wage anymore. Not a way to deliver an amazing shopping experience.

Kill off Shop Your Way - you're right, it does set you apart from other retailers, but not in a good way. Maybe if we hadn't lost over a month worth of sales to delivery and install mistakes in the last year we would have been able to keep one of the four management positions you took from us in the last year in just one store. There is no salvaging what is left, you could postpone the closing though if you didn't drive away every competent person with your bottom line cuts to payroll. Shell out a little money and you could see people with potential sick around, otherwise you'll just train them to run stores for other companies like you did for me.

Disaster - everyone is unhappy

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Sears as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of young people with fresh ideas...waiting to be squashed...

Cons

abusive buyers in Hoffman Estates...Acccountants and Finance sees the NY office as a cost center, not a revenue generator, misaligned incentives, so many issues...

punt...start over with managers who like their jobs and take an interest in creating a great experience for all while growiing the business, not just chasing cost savings at the expense of quatlity, sales, and strategy.

great company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Sears full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to advance in position & lots of great employee discount and rewards.

Cons

competitive, crowded and hard to get the hours needed based on size of store.

Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Field Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Sears full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hire with little to no experience needed.

Cons

Forced overtime Labor
    Underpaid
    Little Benefits
    Little respect for their employees
    Dead End Job
    No training

Constant and complete chaos

Former Employee - Store General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Sears full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees were really great. There is also a monthly "Game On" competition that allows you to earn $2,500 a month if you can drive metrics. You can have pride selling Kenmore and Craftsman brands, customers really love their products. Payroll was not restricted, I felt like we were allotted enough hours to complete tasks and help customers (in most departments). The store manager training program in Chicago was extensive and comprehensive.

Cons

The pay is WAY below industry standards, no 401k match or annual raises. Customer service network is confusing and horrible. 100 different phone numbers (5 for installation, 5 for delivery, 5 for repair, 5 for appliances, 5 for lawn & garden, etc). You will find yourself apologizing to customers on behalf of the company A LOT. Wrong items delivered at wrong times to wrong addresses. 50% of your time will be spent chasing down issues for customers that you didn't cause. The stores are outdated, you will never receive new fixtures, carpet, registers, etc. no matter how bad your store looks. If you have a horrible, vengeful, incompetent DM like I did your life will be hell. Over 10 salaried managers left her district in a year, but she still has a job because the applicant pool for the company is anemic. If you don't feel comfortable driving metrics and alienating your associates because of it, then stay away.

Typical Retail Job

Former Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Sears part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, get to interact with people and work with some amazing people.

Cons

Understaffed. A lot is expected from you with very little to no help at all.