Sears Optical Reviews

Reset
2.9
Andrea Guerra

1. Good Job

Pros

On site training. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Hard to get time off.

Just disappointed. Leaving company.

Current Employee - Optical Manager
    Current Employee - Optical Manager

Pros

Not a hard job if you like helping people see clearly.

Cons

Micro-Management from your peers not your actual region manager. Very hard to get coverage for your store for off time and vacation. Called off of vacation twice.. Customer service is very hard when it takes 2 weeks for customers to get glasses especially when they could just got to LensCrafters and get them in an hour. Lab absolutely ruins your sales and your customers hopes, constantly having delays and at the end of the quarter there is a push to get orders shipped causing errors and just "funky" work that really sucks to hand to a customer when you know it was a rushed job and didn't get the attention all orders deserve.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing sooooo much on your luxury brands if you want to own value brands, sell Sears optical so we don't look like a joke to our customers. You are a gigantic company prove it on all levels! Your customers deserve as mich respect from sears side as they get at LC and SGH.

3. Nothing short of degrading

Former Employee - Optical Technician in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Optical Technician in South Portland, ME

I worked at Sears Optical part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training, normal office hours, retail and office setting, great glasses, most of the co-workers are excellent.

Cons

Management at my location was complete inept, un-flexible, part-time easily turned into full-time, incomplete training, volatile customers.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more. If you raise your wages you will reduce turnover.

5. better then most

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Company is honestly and truely for their customer.

Cons

Limited payroll hours available, unfair commission structure

Advice to Management

Crate a payroll guide that balances enough so that stores can be properly staffed. Often, customers and the store suffers because we cant have as many people on staff as needed. Also create a fairer commission program, it seems it pays to be in lower volume stores because the percent to hit max payout is much easier to attain.

6. Pretty laid back company. Pros -kind of- outweigh the cons.

Current Employee - Certified Optician in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Certified Optician in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Sears Optical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

>The benefits are really good for full time employees (dental, vision, health), mediocre for part-time employees, but hey, it's part time. >You can make -some- extra commission most of the time (2-4% of everything you sell) on top of your base pay. >The company is pretty flexible with shifts as long as there are enough associates willing to cover the busy days. >Full time and part time employees get paid holidays (full-timers gets paid more hours) >You can get discounts at any Luxottica owned store (50-65% off at Lenscrafters and Sunglass Hut during certain times of the year), and 50% off all the time at your home store. >One free exam and pair of glasses every year and 2 pairs every 5 years. >Company will offer reimbursement for miles and gas if you travel to help >Occasional in-store competitions that offer prizes (e.g. sell 20 pairs of suns within a certain time frame, get a free pair for yourself). >Licensed Opticians get paid $16.00-$20.00 an hour. >The company will reimburse the majority of the fees for the license tests

Cons

>The base pay stinks ($8.00 per hour starting (and I'm bilingual)). >You only get a raise once a year... about 30-40 cents at a time--only if your sales are up to the company's standards. >Commission is only offered if the store makes the goal for the week (at my location, we make/exceed goal 70-75% of the time). >Becoming licensed is really difficult and the tests are expensive ($200+ for each test (there are three) and the passing rate for the first to are 40% and 30% respectively). >To become licensed, you need at least 3000 hours (that might lower a little in the future). >Regional Managers can sometimes be incompetent and are only interested in the sales numbers. >Rarely will you find an eye doctor in the company that is a pain to work with, but when you do, it really becomes annoying after a while (good thing is that the doctors don't change locations, but that can be a bad thing if you're stuck with the short end of the stick).

Advice to Management

Offer raises more frequently and provide a higher base pay for your employees that are not licensed (at least $9.50 or $10 an hour). The employees' valuable knowledge and customer service should be praised and appreciated.

7. Great Employer

Former Employee - Office Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Cared about you and your family. Didn't expect you to do anything that they wouldn't do.

Cons

I had no problems with this company. Would not have quit if not for health reasons.

Advice to Management

I have none. This was a great company to work for and I enjoyed it to the upmost.

8. Sears Optical

Former Employee - Apprentice Optician in Lacey, WA
    Former Employee - Apprentice Optician in Lacey, WA

I worked at Sears Optical part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was better than my other entry-level retail job. Learned a lot about customer service, data entry, insurance, and eye care.

Cons

Was made to work long hours without supervision. Was not required to have apprenticeship for the first year, or have a licensed optician or doctor present, in violation of a number of state and federal laws. Was required to work off the clock if my sales did not meet daily goals, which was a mandate from my regional manager, not my supervisor. Constantly harassed by upper management for missing daily and monthly sales goals, even though we were supposed to be providing a clinical service. Worked under a total of five managers and three doctors over less than three years, all in the same store. Worked at six different locations filling in so that I could get all of the work hours I was promised when hired. Was refused compensation for travel time to these other stores, even though some were in excess of an hour away from my home store. Was told to disregard HIPPA protocols because of limited storage space and a denial of remodeling to provide my store adequate space and security measures. Constantly harassed by patients whose eye wear was deteriorating much faster than expected, without being allowed to tell them about Luxottica's planned obsolescence of their products, and how the stop-gap was a falsely advertised protection plan. Was denied a raise despite all of my efforts, because my home store did not often make its goals; also despite the fact that most of the stores in our region likewise failed to meet inflated sales expectations. Many more grievances that I am sure to have forgotten.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your target consumers as customers, and instead treat them as patients. Quit the double-talk in your advertisements, and provide a quality product no matter what the patient pays. A pair of glasses should last two years minimum, even without the white-glove care products and protection plan warranty. The technology exists to manufacture such eye wear, without the need for profit margins exceeding 500%.

9. optical sup

Pros

great pay and excellent benefits

Cons

extended hours and management

Advice to Management

time off policies

10. Great place to give customers personal service.

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Sears Optical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I could establish myself as the optician who would take total care of the customer.

Cons

Lack of company support when we lost our doctor.

Advice to Management

Quit being so negative. Positivity garners better results. Only rating employees on what you feel that they do not do makes people feel down. Approach people with a positive attitude and you will create positive people. This will reflect in how customers perceive you.

Wonderful Patients and manageable work volume giving you the time to serve patients.

Current Employee - Optician in Albany, GA
    Current Employee - Optician in Albany, GA

I have been working at Sears Optical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pricing, Autonomy , good quality frames, liberal PTO, free eye wear, CE reimbursement

Cons

Low commission, high weekly plans, advertisement focused on low end purchase, district level praise directed solely to store managers (staff ignored)

Advice to Management

The team begins with individual staff not just store managers. Cutting of hours during Christmas should be days not hours off same number of workdays so time off can enjoyed or secondary jobs might be pursued. Sears and Luxoticca might work out offering optical staff temp jobs during Christmas as cashiers.

RSS Feed </> Embed