Sears Optical

Be The First To
Add Photos

Andrea Guerra

Great place to work.

Optical Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompany allows you to try new ideas to promote customer growth.

ConsEveryday it was about making sales goals for the day, week, month, and year. They always thought you could just pull another sale out of nowhere. Somedays that was just hard to do.

Work ethics in middle management isn't there.

Optical Supervisor (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPart of a great parent company to work for.

ConsIf your not part of the in group, you get passed over for managment opportunities. Even with exelent reviews and prior managment experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people for merit, not who they know.

Awfully Managed

Certified Optician (Former Employee) Salem, OR

ProsSlow paced majority of time

ConsManagement never asked where I wanted to go with the company, as I had ambitions to go from Optician to Manager. They restructured our territory twice so we had three different regional managers in one year. You work alone most of the time, so when things get busy, there aren't enough people to help and customers walk out. They then get upset when you don't make plan. They hire store managers that have no optical training, then don't train them very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers with optical experience. Look to promote from within.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unrealistic expectations!

ProsCompany has a Great outlook. Great product and prices for the customers.

ConsGrid hours do not support efficient store operations. Expectations can't be met with current payroll. You work by yourself most of the time and it makes it hard to train specially with no training hours allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in the store models. They look outdated. Sears holding is not performing well. Maybe because it doesn't provide a pleasant shopping experience to their customers. There is someone harassing customer for home improvements, and then a optical associate interrupting customers to let them know there is an optical. We have enough to do inside the optical. Schedules. Take care of customers, inspect jobs from lab, Calling the lab to check on customer orders, taking phone calls, Adjusting glasses, cleaning and organizing, training and a few other tasks. Then you expect for us to have time to go out and engage customers and recall customers from previous years. Most of the time we don't have time to take lunch because all the work. I'll be glad to do it if you add more hours to the current payroll grid.

not stressful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslow traffic, more down time than other busier retailers, co-workers generally down to earth friendly types, nice discount program for appliances,

Consthe cash registers. anyone whose worked there knows exactly what im talking about..

Advice to Senior Managementget decent cash registers, these look so 1980s. also work on your image please... Sears could sharpen up

HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT

Optical Supervisor (Former Employee) Summerville, SC

ProsGot great pay from the former district manager

ConsBullied and cussed out by employees. When recording management abuse, was fired for "recording"

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't trust the store manager, get the assts opinion (mgr stealing eyesight donations for personal bills)

Sears Optical not what it use to be.

Optician (Current Employee)

ProsIf you like to work alone this job is for you.

ConsWith a new payroll grid in effect the past few years, business has continued to decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some money back in the departments, most departments look like they are stuck in the 1960's
    The days of customers walking two miles to find the optical department in Sears is over.
    Need to relocate departments with easy access to doors.
    Staff your stores with enough employees to service the customers. Stop the the constant changeover with upper management its a joke. Can't understand that their is no qualified employees to take upper management positions. Always hiring from outside the company with no optical experience.

not enough pay or hours

Apprentice Optician (Current Employee) Albany, GA

Proshelp people, laid back environment

Conscut hours not enough pay

Advice to Senior Managementneed more advertising & cleaner store

decent job for a College student

Optician (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsIt is a great experience and extremely difficult to do. I did it for two years while I was in college and it wasn't that bad. The company gives you a free pair of glasses or sunglasses from Sun glass Hut on the anniversary of your employment year. The benefits are not that bad you get Eyemed vision insurance whether your part time or not. you get paid holidays, Aetna dental and health insurance and FSA account and 401K if your a full time employment.

ConsThe hours are not consistent, you do not get commission if you do not make the weekly store goal you will only get base pay. You rarely get a raise I been with the company 2 years and got a 25 cent raise during the two years i been with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest when hiring employees that it is not definite that they will be able to get full time employment hours and

A learning-experience that will help you grow in different ways

Associate (Current Employee) Moreno Valley, CA

ProsCasual atmosphere allows for comfortable environment
    Challenges you to think outside the box (to market/advertise sales when business is slow)
    Communication skills can be grown
    Will learn lots about management, even as an associate
    Will learn lots about insurance, which can be an important skill in other feids of work
    Will grow as a person
    Will grow in skills that are deemed important

ConsIt's sales, so can be high stressor because of weekly goals that must be reached
    I've been told if you're a people person, don't work here because it will make you not like people..
    Must learn to be patient
    Must learn to adapt to different kinds of people

Worked for Sears Optical? Contribute to the Community!