Sears

2.5
4,175 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 97 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero thought given to work-life balance by management from a district level on up (in 105 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 194 reviews)

More Highlights

A good first job, but this business needs serious improvement.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Happy Valley, OR
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Happy Valley, OR

I have been working at Sears part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are definitely some pros to working for this company. Sears is the first business I've worked for, and it's given me experience. I'd definitely pick working at Sears over fast food. I've learned several business concepts I would have never learned much about. Working the registers has taught me how to type on the number pad, when I previously could only type on the keypad. The shop your way program can be very lucrative at times, which often gave me points to get free candy and good deals, especially with the associate discount. The associate discount can even get you prices cheaper than sears actually bought the item for, especially with TVs. If you are at the right store, your coworkers can be great. Managers can be very friendly if you're in the right place. Customers in the commission sales departments seem to be easier to deal with than in the clothing departments. You can make great money in commission sales during busy days, and the holiday season. Management definitely pushes you, but this can be beneficial to you, as well, increasing your sales. There's occasional parties with food, albeit seldom.

Cons

There's a lot of cons working at Sears. Sears is dying. Not many people shop here anymore, unless there's no other stores nearby. The metrics you're expected to reach are oftentimes without a point. For example, associates are needed to run a certain amount of credit applications every month as one of their metrics. Credit cards are indeed profitable for sears because sears cards users spend more and the Sears cards charges sears less of a transaction fee than other cards, but many people have bad, little, or no credit, don't like credit cards, or just don't really shop at Sears. Associates, especially cashiers, shouldn't be reprimanded for things the customer doesn't want or need. Another metric that is tough to hit is shop your way. A lot of people don't want to join this email-spamming program, which shouldn't be the employees problem. Another issue is that most stores haven't been updated since the 20th century. A lack of updates to the store drives customers away. Why would they wanna go into old, dingy stores? A big problem for commission associates is the commission rate system as a whole. The items you'd think you'd get good money from can be the worst, with some as small as a 0.5% commission rate. If these big ticket items aren't very expensive or don't have a spiff, you're probably not gonna make much money off of it. Attachments and protection agreements have the best commission rates, but these have really high markups and can be hard to sell. The most upper management, like Eddie, is running the company into the ground and making every store compete with each other. I don't feel hopeful in this business with Eddie running it. With quarter losses for about seven straight years or so, I wonder if a recovery will ever be possible.

Highest management - please resign. It's your longest working employees who are making it so your company hasn't failed already. Treat your employees like family, how you used to be before Lampert bought sears. Disregard your idea of abandoning your brick and mortar stores. Having an online presence is important, but for Christ's sake, do an entire update on your entire stores.

SEARS

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sears part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Sears was a great experience. I still miss the my co-workers.
    Sears has excellent products and a loyal customer base.

Cons

The only thing that was a challenge at Sears was the outdated cash register. I had a hard time with it. Also, some large expensive items were special order only. So customers would have to wait a few days for their purchase.

Many changes but getting better...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reorganization is increasing sales and helping drive business in the right direction. Middle Management is good to work with and are willing to work with you.

Cons

Wages still low compared to other companies

Promote within

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very Flexible Schedule
    Decent commission on appliances
    Employee discounts on everything in the store
    Excellent management

Cons

Long holiday hours during black Friday and Christmas
    Ok benefits for employees
    no pension plan
    100% commission

None

Company

I have been working at Sears full-time

Pros

Great company for challenging tasks

Cons

Unstructured priorities and mismanagement of teams

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sears

Pros

Co workers managers customers were all great to work with

Cons

Shift changes were a constant no set schedule

STORE MANAGER

I worked at Sears full-time

Pros

Wonderful hardworking employees,front shop and back shop.like a second family.

Cons

I have been in management for over 20 years and have never experienced the level of unprofessional behaviour and outright abuse of employees as I did there.Stay away from sears auto,far,far away.The District manager will give you the ultimatim to either treat all of your people as disposable garbage or to find a new job.I found a new job:)

Just close the doors already,don't take the fact that the business is failing out on your wonderful employees.

Loved my Job

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Sears full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible time, Great people to work with, lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

No clarity in the companies direction, cumbersome metrics, and departments are not aligned to give a uniform customer experience (ie the price on the web is one in store another)

Get back to the basics great products and services at a great price. Other retailers would love to have our market share in tools, lawn and garden and clothing. We are here to serve the customer.

Thorough training

Former Employee - Sales in North Olmsted, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in North Olmsted, OH

I worked at Sears part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training videos were informative.

Cons

Minimum wage was not very motivating

Keep inovating

Great catalyst for other Positions in Customer Service / Call centers

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reliable job, opportunities for over time , relaxed environment and no micro managing, cheerful disposition from majority of managers and co workers.

Cons

Base pay of $12 hr. needs to be raised to compete with other call centers in the surrounding areas.
    Restrooms needs improvement on sanitation ( they are making progress)

N/A.