Sears

Updated Jul 21, 2014

2.5 3,587 reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance(in 86 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people(in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related(in 96 reviews)

• Corporate only cares about forcing Sears credit cards on all of the customers(in 162 reviews)

3,587 Employee Reviews

Overall has treated me great with certain benefits. Pay has been better than any department I have worked in.

ProsGreat commission. Great people. Great benefits.

ConsCompany focuses way too much on metrics. Seems like every month they are adding a new metric. When you don't have to worry about metrics and can just serve the customer, experiences are so much better. Hope this company can continue to be profitable and see how other companies operate in a profitable fashion. We shall see.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP SO MANY DAMN METRICS.

very nice

Supervisor (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

Prosgreat managment and frendily asssociates

Consu have to be customer oranited

good opportunity for people just entering or reentering the workforce

Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsFlexible scheduling, extra hours when you want them, ability to make decent money, customers are great and very loyal

ConsCommissions have been cut considerably, unreasonable demands for obtaining customer's private information, use of new technology that drastically decreases ability to provide a great experience for the shopper in a reasonable amount of time, lack of support from management, delivery loses tons of sales but it comes out of salesperson's check and there is no accountability for delivery's mistakes and mistreatment of customers

Advice to Senior ManagementDelivery should be handled by Sears so there is more control, accountability and ability to make necessary changes and improvements in the whole delivery system. We are constantly losing lifelong customers due to delivery issues and the same issues keep reoccurring, nothing is ever done about it

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Being profitable

ProsPeople working for this company are awesome. The people, for the most part rank with the quality of the Kenmore and Craftsman brands.

ConsThis company makes everything way more complicated than needed.
    Get to the basics of retailing first, then work on integration as the company strategy.
    The company is being run by some very bright people with a vision for the future. Unfortunately, basic principles of retailing, and operating a profitable business are ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the scorecard, and all the energy devoted to chasing metrics. The ONLY metrics worth chasing are sales and profit. You are choking the stores with expense contol, while spending at will on travel, trips to Vegas, and other corporate perks. Take a lesson from the early days of Wal-mart. It's not too late, (yet)

Store General Manager

ProsDecent pay but no incentives

ConsChasing too many metric. Work life balance. Micro management.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob security issues you have to work really hard.

Great people, smart and hard working. Beautiful facility. High pressure so need to be able to handle that.

DVP (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsSponsor H1B and Green Cards
    Beautiful and full facility HQ office
    Opportunity to work with really nice, smart people

ConsCompany is struggling, hence always pressure to do better
    Senior management is not people oriented
    No one is courageous enough to speak frankly to CEO/COB

Advice to Senior ManagementIn future, bus plan needs to be attainable
    Invest in the stores and store labor
    Get rid of junk in stores and replace with better merchandise

Good company

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsVariety of technologies; flexibility of working houra

ConsBad compensations; poor benefits; bad coordination between different departments

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility with benefits

OBU LIFE

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsRoom for growth if you're willing to put in the work.

ConsNone, its what you make it

Advice to Senior ManagementHire passion and train talent. Stop hiring your friends and family. And holding back hard working professional for no real reasons.980510

First LP job and was almost my last...

Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsMy manager would let me come and go as I wanted. This was great because I was in college and would come and work full shifts after school. I was part time but would work 39.5 hours. The store manager was a great one. He knew his stuff and was personable. I did learn some things that I still use today in my LP career.

ConsThe DLPM was severely unprofessional. He would yell at my manager and treat the LP staff like we were trash. My manager did have a hard time with the job, but don't act like that to people. My manager was a good guy, but went on a leave of absence that turned to him leaving. This turned to the ops manager creating the schedule and saying she could only give me 10 hours a week, when I was the only LP at that point. Other managers stepped in to help the store but they were also on the same path as the DLPM. Between the scheduling and the lack of leadership, I left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave people in LPM and DLPM position that work and deserve the position. People that can talk to their staff without making them feel as though they are horrible. If someone needs coaching, that's one thing. Degrading them is another.

Overall a good place to work

Technical Manager (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

Prosrelaxed atmosphere, nice people to work with, employee discount, nice benefits, I have decent salary, not much work on the weekends and not many late nights

ConsNot much training or hope of going beyond the day to day. Low morale and a sense of being in a declining industry. No 401K matching. Small bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementReal training would be very helpful. When I started at SHC there was literally no training at all. I was thrown into my job and expected to go from desk to desk asking for help until I found someone that could tell me how to do the task at hand. Quality management would also be beneficial to the organization - especially when it comes to data and IT

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!