Sears

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.5 3,620 reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance(in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people(in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related(in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards(in 163 reviews)

3,620 Employee Reviews

Overall has treated me great with certain benefits. Pay has been better than any department I have worked in.

ProsGreat commission. Great people. Great benefits.

ConsCompany focuses way too much on metrics. Seems like every month they are adding a new metric. When you don't have to worry about metrics and can just serve the customer, experiences are so much better. Hope this company can continue to be profitable and see how other companies operate in a profitable fashion. We shall see.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP SO MANY DAMN METRICS.

Great people, smart and hard working. Beautiful facility. High pressure so need to be able to handle that.

DVP (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsSponsor H1B and Green Cards
    Beautiful and full facility HQ office
    Opportunity to work with really nice, smart people

ConsCompany is struggling, hence always pressure to do better
    Senior management is not people oriented
    No one is courageous enough to speak frankly to CEO/COB

Advice to Senior ManagementIn future, bus plan needs to be attainable
    Invest in the stores and store labor
    Get rid of junk in stores and replace with better merchandise

Okay, but not okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe weird people that work there.

Conslow pay, downgrading of benefits options, the weird people, need to remove the signs with spanish...if you don't what a shoe is or underwear, then you shouldn't be shopping. Store announcements in spanish. ridiculous. they don't care, so why do you?

Advice to Senior Managementstop catering to spanish speaking customers, they don't care, why do you?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsCustomers and hearing their concerns and what their looking for.

ConsSome cons would be not being able to help customers find what their looking for.

Changing Times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally enjoyed co-workers and 2 of my 3 supervisors. It was also a pleasure working with several of the Sales & Service Managers. They were really appreciative of the initial training I did to prepare their agents for the call floor. This place provided great experience in both training and handling a multitude of HR issues as a front-line manager.

ConsLong hours, low pay and some really big training classes

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the website to make it more manageable. Pay the agents more so they'll stay and be more motivated to provide world class customer service.

Work is easy, pay is low, but managers do not care about employees

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

Prostask are easily learned and completed. Helping customers and it being your responsibility they have a good experience. Earning commission.

ConsManagement, doesn't care about promoting employees and some micromanagement. Low pay, but its retail so its expected. Always understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises and promotions to employees who are deserving.

Awesome Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, nice work conditions, good managers, Sears is a honest and great company that
    treat all employees the same

ConsNo cons to report very good company.

Its alright if you need the money

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Prosthe cowokers are some of the coolest people ive met and worked with

Consmanagement can make idiotic decisions, company is too focused on changes for the sake of change instead of driving sales

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize potential in junior associates and provide advancement opportunities.

A decent first job at best, it's an ocean out there and you have to be a shark to actually survive.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsYou excel through achieving company goals and you are rewarded with more hours and more choice. You make the money, they kinda help you make some too.

ConsYour success depends on the store location, if the customers are hard to deal with then the mix of competition driven management and commission hungry associates will not brew well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI advise to take into consideration the mentality of the customers being targeted in that area, some of the goals trying to be met are unrealistic with the type of customers that are buying there.

Nice college jobe

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Newark, DE

ProsGreat discount. Staff was friendly.

ConsCompany is going down fast

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!