Sears

2.5
4,166 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 97 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 139 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero thought given to work-life balance by management from a district level on up (in 105 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 194 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Meridian, MS

I worked at Sears full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great name brand tools and appliances

Cons

Rest of the store is failing and losing money.

Let each store act to their own market.

A good first job, but this business needs serious improvement.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Happy Valley, OR
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Happy Valley, OR

I have been working at Sears part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are definitely some pros to working for this company. Sears is the first business I've worked for, and it's given me experience. I'd definitely pick working at Sears over fast food. I've learned several business concepts I would have never learned much about. Working the registers has taught me how to type on the number pad, when I previously could only type on the keypad. The shop your way program can be very lucrative at times, which often gave me points to get free candy and good deals, especially with the associate discount. The associate discount can even get you prices cheaper than sears actually bought the item for, especially with TVs. If you are at the right store, your coworkers can be great. Managers can be very friendly if you're in the right place. Customers in the commission sales departments seem to be easier to deal with than in the clothing departments. You can make great money in commission sales during busy days, and the holiday season. Management definitely pushes you, but this can be beneficial to you, as well, increasing your sales. There's occasional parties with food, albeit seldom.

Cons

There's a lot of cons working at Sears. Sears is dying. Not many people shop here anymore, unless there's no other stores nearby. The metrics you're expected to reach are oftentimes without a point. For example, associates are needed to run a certain amount of credit applications every month as one of their metrics. Credit cards are indeed profitable for sears because sears cards users spend more and the Sears cards charges sears less of a transaction fee than other cards, but many people have bad, little, or no credit, don't like credit cards, or just don't really shop at Sears. Associates, especially cashiers, shouldn't be reprimanded for things the customer doesn't want or need. Another metric that is tough to hit is shop your way. A lot of people don't want to join this email-spamming program, which shouldn't be the employees problem. Another issue is that most stores haven't been updated since the 20th century. A lack of updates to the store drives customers away. Why would they wanna go into old, dingy stores? A big problem for commission associates is the commission rate system as a whole. The items you'd think you'd get good money from can be the worst, with some as small as a 0.5% commission rate. If these big ticket items aren't very expensive or don't have a spiff, you're probably not gonna make much money off of it. Attachments and protection agreements have the best commission rates, but these have really high markups and can be hard to sell. The most upper management, like Eddie, is running the company into the ground and making every store compete with each other. I don't feel hopeful in this business with Eddie running it. With quarter losses for about seven straight years or so, I wonder if a recovery will ever be possible.

Highest management - please resign. It's your longest working employees who are making it so your company hasn't failed already. Treat your employees like family, how you used to be before Lampert bought sears. Disregard your idea of abandoning your brick and mortar stores. Having an online presence is important, but for Christ's sake, do an entire update on your entire stores.

Loved my Job

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Sears full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible time, Great people to work with, lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

No clarity in the companies direction, cumbersome metrics, and departments are not aligned to give a uniform customer experience (ie the price on the web is one in store another)

Get back to the basics great products and services at a great price. Other retailers would love to have our market share in tools, lawn and garden and clothing. We are here to serve the customer.

STORE MANAGER

I worked at Sears full-time

Pros

Wonderful hardworking employees,front shop and back shop.like a second family.

Cons

I have been in management for over 20 years and have never experienced the level of unprofessional behaviour and outright abuse of employees as I did there.Stay away from sears auto,far,far away.The District manager will give you the ultimatim to either treat all of your people as disposable garbage or to find a new job.I found a new job:)

Just close the doors already,don't take the fact that the business is failing out on your wonderful employees.

Culture

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Sears offers
    Good Teams
    Flex Hours
    Good Wages
    Growth

Cons

Far Commute
    No bonus
    No tuition Reimbursement

Interview not so hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sears as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice headquarters office, good team and very experienced managers

Cons

Chicago winter! Suburb area, company structure is kind of unorganized

Break the legacy systems, come up with more efficient systems for the long run rather than sticking to what we have always done.

Backroom associate

Current Employee - Backroom Associate in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Backroom Associate in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Sears (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back
    Fun interacting with costumer
    Meal brack of 30 minutes

Cons

Minimum wage
    Long hours
    Payment doesn't seem equal to demands of job
    Long overnight shifts on Thanksgiving
    Not flexible with hours (usually depends on which form of management makes schedule)

Store manager is awesome
    Assistant manager needs to look at availability before making schedule because it gets exhausting having to keep asking her to change the schedule because she won't look at the availability. I seriously wonder what was the point of asking us when we can and cannot work

Good internship opportunity

I worked at Sears as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good culture, great supportive management

Cons

lots of people with experience leaving

Thorough training

Former Employee - Sales in North Olmsted, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in North Olmsted, OH

I worked at Sears part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training videos were informative.

Cons

Minimum wage was not very motivating

Keep inovating

Great catalyst for other Positions in Customer Service / Call centers

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reliable job, opportunities for over time , relaxed environment and no micro managing, cheerful disposition from majority of managers and co workers.

Cons

Base pay of $12 hr. needs to be raised to compete with other call centers in the surrounding areas.
    Restrooms needs improvement on sanitation ( they are making progress)

N/A.