Sears

Updated Jul 29, 2014

2.5 3,625 reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related (in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights
3,625 Employee Reviews

Overall has treated me great with certain benefits. Pay has been better than any department I have worked in.

ProsGreat commission. Great people. Great benefits.

ConsCompany focuses way too much on metrics. Seems like every month they are adding a new metric. When you don't have to worry about metrics and can just serve the customer, experiences are so much better. Hope this company can continue to be profitable and see how other companies operate in a profitable fashion. We shall see.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP SO MANY DAMN METRICS.

Great people, smart and hard working. Beautiful facility. High pressure so need to be able to handle that.

DVP (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsSponsor H1B and Green Cards
    Beautiful and full facility HQ office
    Opportunity to work with really nice, smart people

ConsCompany is struggling, hence always pressure to do better
    Senior management is not people oriented
    No one is courageous enough to speak frankly to CEO/COB

Advice to Senior ManagementIn future, bus plan needs to be attainable
    Invest in the stores and store labor
    Get rid of junk in stores and replace with better merchandise

SHC is trying to adapt in many areas to remain a major influence in everybody's daily lives.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsLarge, diverse company. Performance rewarded. Hours fit. Gift card perks.

ConsDoing good job may not mean promotion. Usually lateral if happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur commercial job needs to be put in perspective and given the proper look. We are helping make $ for S.C. Sears needs to be compensating for these efforts. Training and moving up the chain of command wouldn't hurt, either.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

ProsYou have endless chances for advancement

ConsToo many tasks for management!

Review of Sears holdings company

Inventory Manager (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsDescent pay (I think) and easy work. Most of the people I work with a fairly friendly. If your are competent and hard working you can easily get promoted.

ConsThe company is on a fast track to the bottom. Senior leadership seems to have no long term strategy to turn the company around.

Advice to Senior Managementok

Positive corporate environment

Field Developer (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsFlexibility, place to grow, some very good people

ConsWork life balance challenging, lots to do, so little time

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in good people and provide them with the right tools

Okay, but not okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe weird people that work there.

Conslow pay, downgrading of benefits options, the weird people, need to remove the signs with spanish...if you don't what a shoe is or underwear, then you shouldn't be shopping. Store announcements in spanish. ridiculous. they don't care, so why do you?

Advice to Senior Managementstop catering to spanish speaking customers, they don't care, why do you?

Wonderful

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsCustomers and hearing their concerns and what their looking for.

ConsSome cons would be not being able to help customers find what their looking for.

Awesome Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, nice work conditions, good managers, Sears is a honest and great company that
    treat all employees the same

ConsNo cons to report very good company.

Changing Times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally enjoyed co-workers and 2 of my 3 supervisors. It was also a pleasure working with several of the Sales & Service Managers. They were really appreciative of the initial training I did to prepare their agents for the call floor. This place provided great experience in both training and handling a multitude of HR issues as a front-line manager.

ConsLong hours, low pay and some really big training classes

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the website to make it more manageable. Pay the agents more so they'll stay and be more motivated to provide world class customer service.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!