Sears

2.5 3,539 reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

3,539 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people"
    in 112 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related"
    in 87 reviews
  • "You have to push warranty agreements and high percentage credit cards to get hours"
    in 143 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good job while going to school

Electronics Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Canton, OH

Prosdecent pay and hours and management will work around your schedule
    the sales department i worked in had commission which was great when you can believe in the services your selling

Consbenefits
    there is not alot of room to grow as there were nearly no new positions that were open while i was there for a little over a year

Sears Parts Telecenter

Phone Sales (Former Employee)
    Mobile, AL

ProsFlexible schedules great people to work with

Consno advancement, not customer focus,

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the employee more

just ok

Associate Buyer (Current Employee)
    Hoffman Est, IL

Prosmost people are really nice, pay is good comparable to similar companies, your experience is really dependent on what department you are placed in

Consretention rate is low for newer employees. people have either worked here their whole life or they will work here a few years and leave. very political to move up in the company. negative vibe and culture most of the time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Take the good with the bad.

ProsThey work around your schedule if you have a life and kids. Your in an atmosphere with music which helps me get through my day. Not too stressful of a job.. Why not, it pays minimum wage. It's ok.. Bosses are great!

ConsTraining is hard to get. Getting a higher position requires taking the hiring test over each time. When their computer system makes you take it three times due to system glitches makes it impossible to take being its at least a 2 hour test. To me a new position should be based on performance and work ethics and the ability to be there each day. Raises are few and far between. Each and every customer has to wait on the cashier at least 20 minutes between each sale so that they can sell them extras or try to con them into getting one of sears credit cards. So it makes people angry waiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more. Some women or men out there are trying to make it on there own and can't just make it on minimum wage. Needs more hours, not just part time. Needs a better computer system.

Store General Manager

ProsDecent pay but no incentives

ConsChasing too many metric. Work life balance. Micro management.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob security issues you have to work really hard.

A great group of friendly workers but very bad with scheduling

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsSears at Memorial City Mall is a great place to work when it comes to co-workers and the way the managers take care of you is awesome but could be better. Whenever one gets credit apps they provide you with pop pops and in replacement of those pop pops you exchange with candy, chips, drinks, and etc.

Conswhen its time for hours they would give you hours but alot of times your schedule can get messed up really badly so when you notice speak to the manager in advance.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication is the key to best satisfy everyone as much as possible.

Pay is low, but it's a nice company to work for.

Warehouse Associate (Former Employee)
    Appleton, WI

ProsMy managers and supervisors were awesome! They were flexible with my hours and days off... always pleasant to work with. Good place to work for a 1st job, especially if you want to learn retail.

ConsThey were seriously understaffed because of low pay so part-time was always extended to full-time without any benefits. Sales are pushed and rewarded, but there are no additional benefits for warehouse employees when their jobs are just as important as others.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees who are out on the floor and in the warehouse about what can be done better. Seriously consider raising wages for starting pay on entry level positions, no one can live on $7.50 an hour today!

Sears

Loss Prevention Associate (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood culture to be around

ConsNo room for advancement in company

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it up

OK place to work

Cashier (Former Employee)
    West Dundee, IL

ProsNot disruptive on the life of a high school student or college student.
    Management leaves employees mostly alone, no constant bugging.
    If you need a job, companies like this are always hiring, but there is a reason for that. Because retention is low.

ConsPay is not much higher than competition.
    If you are part-time, don't expect holiday pay or bonus pay for working holidays. You are just expected to be there.
    Management pushes credit cards like you wouldn't believe. I have seen rude employees get more hours just because they got more applications in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop your desire for credit cards. I rarely shop at Sears for this reason. Because I feel bad for telling employees I don't want to apply. I can see the desperation in their eyes, and I know what it was like trying to get credit applications just to get some more hours.

It was okay.

MCA (Former Employee)

ProsI worked on the floor in the Softlines Department. I liked a lot of the people I worked with. Some people were truly interested in doing their work and meet their goals. I liked my supervisor - she was easy to talk to.

ConsTraining is ridiculous. You do online training - has to be in store during work hours. Then they throw you out onto the floor. They don't teach you other things so when they come up, you're running around trying to find the answers - and not everyone cares that you're new.

There are a lot of teenagers (no surprise), but they are somewhat annoying to work with. All they did was gossip and they hardly ever did anything to help anyone who worked on the floor. I was an MCA and they expected us to answer their Code 3 calls, which I never did on weekends because it was crazy on the floor. But they never sorted the clothes that were returned or not purchased.

My manager was quite anal about things, and wanted everything done her way. There was no real room for growth. She talked down a little.

Also, the people at this KS store are really ghetto. Most of them made a mess on the floor and in the fitting rooms, but for some reason, management didn't want to have fitting room attendants. People steal from there all the time. It's so easy, I could've done it on my fitting room rounds if I had no morals.

I came on as a seasonal employee and it seemed like they hired pretty-much anyone. Some coworkers hardly did anything. After the holiday season, people left and we were constantly short-handed, but were still expected to get everything done.

Good employees were not treated fairly or with respect. If your manager liked you, you were lucky. If he/she didn't, then it sucked to work there. People were constantly threatened with termination because their credit apps were low. They wanted us to push those things like no other. Umm, not everyone wants a credit card. I also knew a coworker who had an accident because of uneven floor and Sears tried to get out of paying for her medical bills. She was in pain, but would get in trouble for sitting down while at the cash register. Management was upset because they didn't get their fat bonuses. She eventually left.

They also pushed signing people up for rewards if they weren't signed up - they encouraged to tell "members" that we couldn't proceed with the transaction unless we had an email address. Some people didn't want to give our their email addresses, but we were supposed to get it out of them.

Equipment was very dated. As some people have said, a working SNC was gold. The registers were so old and it seemed like half of them were down on really busy days.

Life-work balance didn't work for me. The pay wasn't worth the long hours.

Quality of clothes was terrible. Zippers on coats were faulty.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some more respect for your employees. They already deal with people who are constantly rude. They don't need to get hounded for credit apps. Hire better/more people. Get some fitting room attendants.

If people are really members, treat them better. Stop trying to force Shop Your Way or credit cards with terrible APR on them.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sears CEO Edward S. Lampert . All 3,539 reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees.