Sears Reviews

2.4
3,855 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related (in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience if you can deal with politics

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For a time, I had an excellent manager and was able to create a career path with a lot of support. There is a lot of opportunity to take on a lot of diverse and interesting projects in a very fast paced environment.

Cons

Budgets were cut and soon additional training and career development was no longer offered. Often promotions for additional work being done were not followed through with even after being promised.

Treat your employees well and compensate them accordingly.

Everything is Perfect Except the Psychology

Current Employee - Footwear MCA  in  Lawton, OK
    Current Employee - Footwear MCA in Lawton, OK

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

The products we sell are the most important thing. That's what brings the customers in. The products are very good, and the presentation is very good. Shelves are clean, items are organized, salespersons are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. MCA's are efficient and hard working. Cashiers are cheerful and smart. Managers are awesome. The managers devote themselves to the store and work very hard at every detail all the time. They are nice and helpful and fair. The backroom crew is professional and clean. Everyone is doing their best and doing it well. I like the music and the atmosphere. It is a great shopping environment.

Cons

There's just a negative aura at work. My immediate boss is never happy. She never says anything nice. Meetings are all about numbers, get more numbers, bigger numbers, push the customers for more emails and credit contacts. The customers don't like it. They can't "shop their way" when they're constantly being pushed to give up personal information. They've already given everything they've got, there is no more. Quit milking the credit cow she's dry. A lot of employees are rude to each other or seem unhappy. Employees are also customers, treat them as if they had some value. As far as psychology, for god's sake give compliments to your employees! How hard would it be to say "Hey I noticed you picked up that trash" or even "I see that you were trying to do the right thing but here's where you went astray." Psychology. Lead with the good news, then gently break the bad news. Pat on the back once in awhile.

Be a nice store. Be friendly. Say nice things to your customers and your employees. Customers don't have much money, they don't want long drawn-out contracts. They want quick quality purchases. Quit milking the credit cow she's dry. Use psychology, Give compliments to your employees! Say "Hey I noticed you picked up that trash" or even "I see that you were trying to do the right thing but here's where you went astray." Psychology. Lead with the good news, then gently break the bad news. Pat on the back once in awhile. Employees are also customers, treat them as if they had some value.

Sears Call Center - Inbound

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual work environment and Great team environment, Continual training and updating (for no rise in pay), fun monthly activities and free food.

Cons

Low pay as well as a "do as I say and not as I do mentality" from the Upper Management. Last year the center worked hard at locating and getting rid of bedbugs from the call floor and now the bugs are back. Great call center starter job but expect to build your marketable experience and take it to a different company that truly cares for their employees. Sears call center's attrition rate is horrible.

If the employees are supposed to be the biggest asset of the call center, then start by showing GENUINE care and appreciation towards them - False senses of accomplishment by the forms of bogus monthly achievement certificates will not keep good people. A REAL pat of the back and eye contact from upper management would be nicer than pieces of paper.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not enough payroll to do the expected job.

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Sears for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoy people that I work with. Pay is good, but no raises now with poor economy.

Cons

Have over 28 departments to manage. Slot of 10-12 hour days. Never feel like job is manageable.

Need to invest in more people to do the job. Need more staff to do the job. Wearing out entire staff in store. Not enough payroll to do expected tasks. Staff always behind on some task. Not enough managers to run store. Can't run store all day and your departments too. Hard for work life balance.

Great Experience but High Turnover

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started here as an intern and came back full-time. The experience is very rewarding with a lot of training and involvement with cross-functional teams. My peers in similar positions at other retailers do not come close to holding the same amount of responsibility, which Sears gives you an edge. Compensation is about standard, but you can get promoted relatively quickly if you put forth a little extra effort. I haven't seem much micromanagement in my positions. Great people to work with and much to get involved in outside of work. Strong culture. Large cafeteria with good food. Easy commute for those who live in downtown Chicago; bus service.

Cons

The stigma of working for Sears or Kmart can be depressing, as well as seeing losses every quarter. Eddie Lampert does not know how to address obvious issues with the company (ex: push toward technology, yet stores are in terrible shape). Slim to no chance of bonuses. Turnover is extremely high. Leadership is typically hired from outside the company. Promotions sometimes are made by opportunity, not by qualifications/experience. In the short run, a great stepping stone to advance your career, but chatter that we will need to worry in 2017...

Address the obvious issues. Reward and promote those who deserve to be, but not just because the position needs to be filled. Renovate our best stores as our customers aren't tech-savvy. Take more chances on products that are competitive, not what we have been doing for years. Keep doing a great job pushing culture, which helps employees stay positive and driven.

Comm.Sales

Former Employee - Commission Sales  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Commission Sales in Memphis, TN

I worked at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the ability to meet new people, the managers are down to earth, and Professional

Would love to work there again.

Cons

No problems at all really

okay place to work

Current Employee - Sears  in  Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Sears in Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

credit commission, you get hours if you need them.

Cons

really have to push credit cards, they will cut hours if credit goal isnt met.

It's up to you to make this job great or not

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than a year

Pros

Haven't been here long, but have been selling mattresses here since November. Definitely potential to make some serious money if you're a professional and knowledgable salesperson in the mattress or home appliance department. Electronics and hardware you're almost guaranteed not to make more than $10/hour. I gross about $2500 per month after combining my commissions and base pay. My store isn't particularly busy. Stay away from the workplace gossip and put your best foot forward and you're likely to succeed.

Cons

Sears is allergic to overtime. Always show up on time and be pleasant while you're there and you'll gradually get closer and closer to realistic hours. Typical retail hours stink, sometimes have to work until around 10pm.

Training was absurdly helpless. More or less had to teach myself everything with regard to merchandise, point of sale, and store procedures. Upon being hired I was sat in the office in front of a computer and did about 10 hours of on the computer "training" which really didn't help me learn anything at all except typical corporate "sign here that you read this OSHA rule"

Great first job!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at Sears part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always received positive feedback and recognition. I got along with all employees and managers. Training was effective and working with customers taught you to improvise in a faced paced environment when a manager wasn't available right away. Time off accumulated quickly and managers were lenient with schedule switching.

Cons

Only con is some managers got their promotions due to favoritism.

Awesome

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kaneohe, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kaneohe, HI

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working in the home fashions area

Cons

some nights are slow and there are no people to help

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!