Sears Reviews

2.4
3,883 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related (in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Everything is Perfect Except the Psychology

Current Employee - Footwear MCA  in  Lawton, OK
    Current Employee - Footwear MCA in Lawton, OK

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

The products we sell are the most important thing. That's what brings the customers in. The products are very good, and the presentation is very good. Shelves are clean, items are organized, salespersons are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. MCA's are efficient and hard working. Cashiers are cheerful and smart. Managers are awesome. The managers devote themselves to the store and work very hard at every detail all the time. They are nice and helpful and fair. The backroom crew is professional and clean. Everyone is doing their best and doing it well. I like the music and the atmosphere. It is a great shopping environment.

Cons

There's just a negative aura at work. My immediate boss is never happy. She never says anything nice. Meetings are all about numbers, get more numbers, bigger numbers, push the customers for more emails and credit contacts. The customers don't like it. They can't "shop their way" when they're constantly being pushed to give up personal information. They've already given everything they've got, there is no more. Quit milking the credit cow she's dry. A lot of employees are rude to each other or seem unhappy. Employees are also customers, treat them as if they had some value. As far as psychology, for god's sake give compliments to your employees! How hard would it be to say "Hey I noticed you picked up that trash" or even "I see that you were trying to do the right thing but here's where you went astray." Psychology. Lead with the good news, then gently break the bad news. Pat on the back once in awhile.

Be a nice store. Be friendly. Say nice things to your customers and your employees. Customers don't have much money, they don't want long drawn-out contracts. They want quick quality purchases. Quit milking the credit cow she's dry. Use psychology, Give compliments to your employees! Say "Hey I noticed you picked up that trash" or even "I see that you were trying to do the right thing but here's where you went astray." Psychology. Lead with the good news, then gently break the bad news. Pat on the back once in awhile. Employees are also customers, treat them as if they had some value.

Sears Call Center - Inbound

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual work environment and Great team environment, Continual training and updating (for no rise in pay), fun monthly activities and free food.

Cons

Low pay as well as a "do as I say and not as I do mentality" from the Upper Management. Last year the center worked hard at locating and getting rid of bedbugs from the call floor and now the bugs are back. Great call center starter job but expect to build your marketable experience and take it to a different company that truly cares for their employees. Sears call center's attrition rate is horrible.

If the employees are supposed to be the biggest asset of the call center, then start by showing GENUINE care and appreciation towards them - False senses of accomplishment by the forms of bogus monthly achievement certificates will not keep good people. A REAL pat of the back and eye contact from upper management would be nicer than pieces of paper.

My life a Sears

Current Employee - Trainer  in  Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Trainer in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement are great here. I was promoted 3 times in 2 years without a 4 year degree. This is best advantage of working at Sears. Granted a lot of people leave the business, but when they do, another position opens up for someone else to take the next step in their career.

Cons

Compensation was lacking. Was given a raise but it took the company 18 months to pay it in full. Also got a bonus that was not to be paid until over a year later. This bonus ending up being an outstanding $124. Great work Sears.

Lead by Example and show your associates you actually care about them. Pay people and then expect high performance. Sears does not pay their employees what they are worth but expects high performance. Its hard for people to perform and hit sales goals when they are worried about their bills because their check did not come on time. Sears has go to do better by their front line associates.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was okay, management had no idea of anything though..

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Sears full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers were great, really helped you out.

Cons

Having to push credit and rewards cards to the customers

Take it easy with the reward sang credit cards expectations

Losing its appeal

Former Employee - Automotive Technician  in  Cranberry, PA
    Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Cranberry, PA

I worked at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities to move up the ladder quickly; depending on location, commission-based jobs can pay well for little experience; OJT is thorough and management wants their employees to succeed and thrive in their position.

Cons

Constant changes to workplace rules; pay and commission levels continue to decrease; the company is losing stability; hours can vary greatly for part-time positions.

Not enough payroll to do the expected job.

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Sears for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoy people that I work with. Pay is good, but no raises now with poor economy.

Cons

Have over 28 departments to manage. Slot of 10-12 hour days. Never feel like job is manageable.

Need to invest in more people to do the job. Need more staff to do the job. Wearing out entire staff in store. Not enough payroll to do expected tasks. Staff always behind on some task. Not enough managers to run store. Can't run store all day and your departments too. Hard for work life balance.

It's up to you to make this job great or not

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than a year

Pros

Haven't been here long, but have been selling mattresses here since November. Definitely potential to make some serious money if you're a professional and knowledgable salesperson in the mattress or home appliance department. Electronics and hardware you're almost guaranteed not to make more than $10/hour. I gross about $2500 per month after combining my commissions and base pay. My store isn't particularly busy. Stay away from the workplace gossip and put your best foot forward and you're likely to succeed.

Cons

Sears is allergic to overtime. Always show up on time and be pleasant while you're there and you'll gradually get closer and closer to realistic hours. Typical retail hours stink, sometimes have to work until around 10pm.

Training was absurdly helpless. More or less had to teach myself everything with regard to merchandise, point of sale, and store procedures. Upon being hired I was sat in the office in front of a computer and did about 10 hours of on the computer "training" which really didn't help me learn anything at all except typical corporate "sign here that you read this OSHA rule"

okay place to work

Current Employee - Sears  in  Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Sears in Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

credit commission, you get hours if you need them.

Cons

really have to push credit cards, they will cut hours if credit goal isnt met.

Not the worst place to work.

Current Employee - Web Content Specialist  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Web Content Specialist in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, Ability to work from home, generally easy tasks, management is easy to work with, facilities are top of the line, the people you work with are generally wonderful people.

Cons

Nothing ever works right, no one can ever make a simple decision, every rule about the way online is handled changes daily, lack of consistency, no training/career movement, no profit sharing.

Take time to train employees properly. Upgrade ever system you have for buyers and the website.

Not good

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Sears part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

schedule commission team 1 hour lunch

Cons

everything else pay training management

better management and better employees and better pay no advancement!!

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!