Sears Reviews

Reset
4.0
Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Better than most retailers when it comes to work life balance (in 98 reviews)

• Great people to work with on a daily basis (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely poor work life balance (in 108 reviews)

• I hate selling credit cards to customers (in 204 reviews)

1. Customer Service Rep

I worked at Sears full-time

Pros

I loved the people! The atmosphere was wonderful for a call center... benefits and pay were great too!

Cons

Not to many bad things about the place, management was great, I really loved working here. If I hadn't moved because of the military I would probably still be working there.

Advice to Management

Management was always wonderful. My direct boss was amazing, her boss was too, and HR was always a breeze.

2. Pretty Good

I have been working at Sears part-time

Pros

They stay true to your schedule. Coworkers are very friendly and patient with new workers. Some management can really improve your need to succeed and give you the extra push for wanting better.

Cons

They can and will change their schedule day of(within your allowed schedule). Credits is a large need and hours depend on how many you can get. Only move up after a few years.

3. Backroom Team Member

Current Employee - Backroom Associate in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Backroom Associate in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement. The Work life balance can be decent. They have an ever evolving business practice, and outlook towards the market.

Cons

The technology is a bit outdated in most stores. The system can sometimes be convoluted in the way they do things. The pay can be subpar. Sometimes the older coworkers can be unwilling to change and adapt to new processes. They have been known to merge jobs and put more responsibility on people with the same amount of pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who have worked the job, and have been there longer. They know what they are talking about. Stop merging jobs so that people have to take on more and more responsibility for the same pay.

5. Consultant

Pros

Very friendly and social atmosphere.

Cons

Rather old technology. Really need to upgrade technology for all facets of business.

6. Kitchen Project Coordinator-SALES

Former Employee - Consultive Sales Associate- Home Improvement in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my Co-workers

Cons

In outside sales...making a sale and finding out that customer does not quialify for finance.

Advice to Management

Helping out when there is a struggle and not ignoring it.

7. Sears

I have been working at Sears full-time

Pros

Team, Flexibility, ARG, Location and Culture

Cons

Salary and promotions, heath benefits and no retirement or match.

8. Ok

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate - Electronics in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate - Electronics in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy, nice people to work with, product training is good.

Cons

Pressure on selling protection agreements, also having a 80% or better in shop your way members.

Advice to Management

You work too much

9. Software Engineer II

Pros

Good company to work and enjoy. have fun. get points and redeem in the store. over all good.

Cons

nothing to say bad,but company is not performing well now a days. Managers ask to work hard.

10. Mattress Sales

Current Employee - Mattress Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Mattress Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sears part-time

Pros

Any commission sales job depends entirely on how much the employee can use the tools given by the employer. As a part-time mattress sales, I averaged income of more than $30/hour by making maximum use of promotions, product availability, frequent shopper programs, credit discounts, etc. As long as you hit your number, you get autonomy and respect. (And if you aren't hitting your number you really shouldn't get autonomy). I guess what I am saying is this -- this job is what you make of it, you get the tools to excel, and the rest is up to you.

Cons

Sears is a big company, so it has a number of internal processes and rules that could be viewed as frustrating if you don't learn how to work within an existing system. The company's technology was cutting edge in 1995. The company's financial future is at best uncertain.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology. Figure out a way to let employees split commissions. Figure out a way to incent employees to do the portions of the job that are not simply selling mattresses, so that no one needs to feel endangered of losing a sale by doing "work."

11. customer services

Pros

not a lot of hours

Cons

not very exciting job to work

Showing 878 of 5,848 reviews