Sears Reviews

2.5
Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert
1,388 Ratings

Pros
  • Better than most retailers when it comes to work life balance (in 98 reviews)

• Great people to work with on a daily basis (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely poor work life balance (in 108 reviews)

• I hate selling credit cards to customers (in 204 reviews)

5,505 Employee Reviews

Keeping my career here

Current Employee - Designer in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Designer in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Understanding of the need for a healthy balance between work and home life. Exposure to many different areas of business. Expanding your skill set and seeking out opportunities internally is encouraged. Ideas on the team I work on are heard and leadership has a lot of faith in the people executing the tasks they are assigned to do.

Cons

Adapting to new things is somewhat difficult. It's often hard to integrate due to old standards and policies that have been in place too long and need updating. The culture could be better. Overall vision doesn't make it very far down the food chain.

Advice to Management

The values, atmosphere, and culture we hold here at corporate doesn't seem to travel into the retail stores.

2. Top notch Technicians always welcome.

Current Employee - Repair Technician
    Current Employee - Repair Technician

I have been working at Sears

Pros

A long standing blue chip company that knows it's long term +20 year Technicians are the back bone of their service. Without the 14,000 field Technicians, Sears would be another Home Depot or Lowe's.

Cons

Few, only job more secure for a high performance worker would be a government job. Poor performers find things more difficult.

Advice to Management

Get out into the field 3 to 4 times per year, mandatory. Hear what your "economic changes" and decisions are forcing your customer to wade though.

3. I love it!

Current Employee - Inventory Analyst
    Current Employee - Inventory Analyst

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Helped with growth and development coming out of college. Management really honed in on indiviual skills to make each employee better.

Cons

There are no cons except horrible cafeteria food and over priced. I think Sears is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

I believe management is doing a great job of leading its people and helping people develop in their own careers.

5. Sears

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, KY

I worked at Sears

Pros

This is an entry level consumer service/ sales job. The company is flexiable with work schedules. I believe this job would be great for a college or high school student.

Cons

The pay was not great. The pay scale was not a good wage. I was receving 1% on the total sales.

Advice to Management

Management was great. I think that Sears should honor the employees more by increasing the houlrly pay and leadership opportunties.

6. great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, NJ

I worked at Sears

Pros

my department head was very friendly. I liked it there and would recommend to anyone looking for a part time job.

Cons

Sometimes it wasn't very busy so that would make the time drag. I also didn't like leaving late at night.

Advice to Management

everything was fine.

7. Good company

Former Employee - Training Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Training Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Sears

Pros

Organized. great benefits. Great Headquarters facility. It is a wonderful campus.

Cons

Kind of a long commute.Really big campus. Dislike the huge layoffs when retail sales are down as retail is cyclical anyway. Also, it is very hard for dedicated people to get rehired when positions are ever available.

Advice to Management

Hire back former employees that apply. There have been many who seem to never get a chance to get called back to the corporate HQ. Whatever happened to loyalty to employees and former employees?

8. Based on my career goals, I enjoyed Sears.

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Sears

Pros

I worked at Sears during High School and College. I enjoyed coming to work everyday because I made solid money working overtime, made a lot of friends, and the managers were nice. It usually depends on what store you work at; the store I worked at had wonderful people.

Cons

If you are looking to support your family working at Sears than you obviously will have negative remarks, but this is a good place to start out and get some working experience.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing.

9. I enjoyed working at Sears. I met so many great people and had the opportunity to network with many top executives.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears

Pros

I had the opportunity to network with many top executives. I learned a lot throughout the course of my 12-week internship.

Cons

I would say that the only downside to working with Sears is the fact that they do not offer the full-time employees the 401k matching package.

Advice to Management

I think that this company has a very unique atmosphere and everyone that works here is very friendly and nice.

10. Great job easy mca

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Utica, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Utica, NY

I have been working at Sears

Pros

this job is pretty simply. u can walk around and get the task done. moving merchandise from one area to anotehr arear

Cons

7 am in the morning. so if u r not a morning person do not bothre. climbing ladders, dealing w crappy customers

Advice to Management

cut down the approval time in 1/2. get MANAGER that knwo what they are doing. do not hire stupid people/ so good luick

11. Good part time job, definetely for a college student. Good pay, as it scales with your effort.

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Consultant in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Consultant in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Higher than average pay for a college student. Very flexible scheduling. Good recognition and rewards for performing well. Fun, polite, nice staff. A vast array of materials available to help you perform your job. Good sense of pride and achievement for its level in the job heiarchy.

Cons

Can either be very short or long hours, and must work holidays. Some processes and systems are outdated. Can be stressful and physically/mentally demanding. Strict performance standards determine your schedule. Signs of business practices agree with predictions that the company is to be sold in the near future.

Advice to Management

N/A

Showing 5,505 of 5,575 reviews