Sears Reviews

2.4
3,877 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related (in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

A great Place to Work, Shop and Invest.....Once

I worked at Sears

Pros

It used to be a great place to work. Management CARED about their staff, then it became mostly owned by one American and it all went down hill, Stopped caring about staff AND customers.

Cons

They took away the pension plan as it once was....they removed holidays. so if you had six weeks holidays after 30 years of service they came in and said 'ummmm no, you will only get what the govt says you need to get, so we are dropping you down to 4!'. They reduced the employee discount....then gave it back years later like it was a HUGE favour to us. They work their Buyers at least 80 hours a week and EVERYTHING is due "End Of Day'. Its all about the money and how much the owner can make. Finding Sears a new team to run it will be the best thing that could happen to it. In the days of Paul Walters (those of you reading this who worked at Sears all those years will know whom I am speaking of), things were at their glory. He cared about the staff and was hands down one of the Best CEO's (So was Brent Hollister....he retired only because he refused to be the type of CEO that laid off a bunch of employees...so they politely asked him to leave!)

Get new ownership!!!

Bad

Current Employee - LECSA  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - LECSA in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sears part-time

Pros

Just to experience working in a different country

Cons

Some prople are nice some arent

Please value your employees

Not Too Bad

Current Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant  in  Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some days can be really exciting and busy, while others are incredibly boring. It's a great job if you are detail-oriented, task-oriented and love organizing, color coding, and folding clothes.

Cons

Management has unreasonable expectations. They push numbers, even when there are no customers and expect non-sales positions to have high numbers when its practically impossible. Corporate has no idea of the size of their stores or the target market of their stores. A lot of merchandise never sells and gets sent back to the vendor. Employees lack motivation because they know the store is probably going out of business soon.

Sales goals should be more realistic and more full time positions should be available.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brea, CA

I have been working at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible time, fun co-workers to work with. They will work around with your schedule and make things very easy if you're in school.

Cons

Managing team provides 0 motivation for employees. All they cared about are how much credit cards we can sell and will make us take credit classes if we don't sell enough.

Please treat your workers better with respect and dignity. Managers should have better customer service in order for associate to be motivated.

Best place to be in Management

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Regina, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Regina, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Management team, pretty much organized to other retail places that I have worked. Growth opportunities are available. Is encouraged to learn, develop and hone skills. Freedom to do things independently. Does opening, closing, training new hires, freedom to decide floor model clearance pricing with store manager; thus enabling to bring new receipts which also helps in good merchandising.

Cons

Pay hike not given every year. Had to ask to get it. Benefits are decent. Training not a priority as of now. Has improved over a period of one year.

Training is a must. Concentrate more that.

Do not work here

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate  in  Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to know your Coworkers, because you are all "enduring" working there.

Cons

I could write pages but I have a job interview to prepare for. Upper management is terrible. You have goals that have nothing to do with sears directly making money or you making money for the matter. It's Base + commission (Base being $6, and commission being nearly 1% of most transactions). You pretty much get minimum wage half the time, an the other half maybe an extra buck. You have to push reward membership that customers don't understand, getting their email for marketing purposes, and having a good BOT aka Balance of Transactions (Which means your forced to check out customers with a very slow and awkward ipod touch or ipad with bad software) 90% percent of customers just stare at you while you stare at the loading screen during the Point-of-Sale. A normal check out you would ring on the register would take about 2 minutes, pretty slow. A normal check out on an ipod or ipad can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes (it varies because if you need to back out at the end if a customer changes their mind about something you need to start all over). Management knows it is inefficient but will still chew you out and put you on an improvement plan if you don't use them and instead use the faster register (except black Friday, they let you use registers then). Since I've been working there they never mention anything about my sales being good, it's all about rewards, emails, and ipods (None make you money). But then again the goals and focuses at sears change all the time. There's probably about 15-20 different metrics, and managements interests in the different metrics change all the time depending on what one district feels like yelling about. Sears reminds me of a chicken with its head cut off. The company doesn't fully understand what it wants or needs, and they are currently experimenting around with the stupidest of things. I've never grown to hate anything in my life till I worked here.

Tell corporate they have no idea what their doing.

actualy worked for k nart. A subsidy of sears

Former Employee - Hard Lines Merchandiser  in  Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Hard Lines Merchandiser in Olathe, KS

I worked at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a fast placed workplace. The day flies by. You are given assignments, and do not have someone constantly looking over your sholders while you complete it.

Cons

Minimum wage only. Unless you excel, you will work no more then 32 hours a week.

Give your outstanding employees more incentive to stay. Such as a posibility to recieve wage increases for outstanding employees.

Not the worst but definitely not the best.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Associate  in  Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Associate in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy going job with nothing too serious. Management (that wasn't the GM) was very lenient and very understanding.

Cons

Store manager was terrible, coworkers weren't really too friendly, and just an overall underwhelming atmosphere.

Be kinder and more respectful to your employees and maybe you'll get some respect back.

merchandising pricing associate

Former Employee - Mpa-customer Service  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Mpa-customer Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sears part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved working with the customers and having plenty options for providing customer satisfaction...love busywork, with constant change of job related chores, something diffrent to do every shift pretty much. working side by side with immediate and upper level management in store, part time provided plenty of life time and huge spikes in work hours during peak seasons!

Cons

Corporate does nothing to support lower level employees from personal grudges from management, only just enough to avoid a lawsuit, store managers are untrained and unchecked, sometimes work hours are VERY low.

before they merge with kmart it was a good place to work for never enough help for the work load

Former Employee - Footwear Lead  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Footwear Lead in Durham, NC

I worked at Sears full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

if you like moving around alot

Cons

nobody there to talk to if you need to not enough to go around

not enough help like working everybody to death

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!