Sears

Updated Jul 26, 2014

2.5 3,616 reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance(in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people(in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related(in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards(in 163 reviews)

3,616 Employee Reviews

Keep your mouth closed with a smile on your face .... or else!

Consultative Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsMy old manager was great. They pay (commission) for spiffs given but companies you sold products for was great.

ConsThe upper management was a nightmare... who do you tell when the HR is crooked? :(

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves. Don't be offended when an employee that works under you is out shinning you or making more money than your salary. Working part-time employees for full time hours for consecutive weeks until it's one week before you have to offer them full-time is dishonest, unfair, and says something about your company culture and integrity.
    P.S. Talking about the staff over walkie talkies that management has while one is laying around in the open office isn't the smartest thing to do while you are talking down about employees that work under you. How childish and non-classy! Grow up!

first time experience in Canada and I was promoted six month later.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsI need a qualified job and first experience in Canada. It gaves me this opportunity

Conspersonal growth experience in new field which is the most in demand.

Advice to Senior Managementmore responsible and devoted as well as qualified people are needed in the management

Changing Times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally enjoyed co-workers and 2 of my 3 supervisors. It was also a pleasure working with several of the Sales & Service Managers. They were really appreciative of the initial training I did to prepare their agents for the call floor. This place provided great experience in both training and handling a multitude of HR issues as a front-line manager.

ConsLong hours, low pay and some really big training classes

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the website to make it more manageable. Pay the agents more so they'll stay and be more motivated to provide world class customer service.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low employee morale

ProsIts location is close to home and gives me time to do personal things

ConsPoor management, not organized, no perks, raises, or structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to employees needs and concerns, and not company profit.

How not to treat employees

Consultative Sales Associateles (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI really have nothing positive. to say

ConsPoor pay. Having employees do janitorial work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat employees. Stop managing by intimidation.

Poor culture, very political at corporate headquarters

Executive (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsOwning a lot thus learning a lot, this was good.

ConsVery political to the point of in-fighting amongst even new (2 years or less) executives. Very high turnover of employees at the senior manager, director and executive (DVP/VP) levels. Top leadership unable to make changes, thus hard for those below to change even when trying.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultural training that has taken place never was practiced at the executive level, thus issues continued. Nepotism was rampant, and 360 reviews of execs were actioned upon. HR was unable to assist in anything and were not helpful to the employees, only to the corporation.

Its been an okay experience, not the best.

Office Assistant (Current Employee)

Pros20% discount on clothing
    10% on hardware, electronics

ConsThe pay, hours, no benefits, micromanaging.
    Employees are constantly complaining about how unhappy they are.
    The store I'm at is run down and has several problems.
    There isn't enough training for staff.

Definitely an opportunity for career advancement as long as you take initiative.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsGreat & some smart people, meaningful projects, open door policy, personal growth. Great place to start a career.

Consemployment brand, struggling company, innovative

Focusing on wrong things

ASM Hardlines (Current Employee)

ProsSome really good people at store level. Some opportunity for advancement. Still a large company with room to regrow

ConsEverything is made way too complicated. Focus is put on wrong areas. Culture is constantly changing. Starting to pull money out of employee pockets.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn focus to the member and bringing them in the door. Drop the push on digital integration. Follow your own cultural beliefs about Integration. Shouldn't have multiple prices across different platforms.

Roller coaster with mostly steep drops.

ProsSome of the employees are great, make coming to work easier and the best part alongside being able to get some nifty deals when things get marked down.

ConsThe employees as well, not all of course. The management in particular and the trickle down effect it has on the rest of the store. Nepotism runs rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining(not clicking buttons on a computer)and Customer Service(probably the slowest lines in retail ever).

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!