Sears Reviews

2.4
3,920 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 93 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 133 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero thought given to work-life balance by management from a district level on up (in 104 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Lots to learn. Very innovative compared to its competitors

Cons

Lots of competitive and challenging people to work with, so it is difficult to get promoted or to get visibility for good work

My life a Sears

Current Employee - Trainer  in  Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Trainer in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement are great here. I was promoted 3 times in 2 years without a 4 year degree. This is best advantage of working at Sears. Granted a lot of people leave the business, but when they do, another position opens up for someone else to take the next step in their career.

Cons

Compensation was lacking. Was given a raise but it took the company 18 months to pay it in full. Also got a bonus that was not to be paid until over a year later. This bonus ending up being an outstanding $124. Great work Sears.

Lead by Example and show your associates you actually care about them. Pay people and then expect high performance. Sears does not pay their employees what they are worth but expects high performance. Its hard for people to perform and hit sales goals when they are worried about their bills because their check did not come on time. Sears has go to do better by their front line associates.

Very decent pay for the level of work done.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

The easy going and laid back atmosphere was nice. The pay was decent for the amount of work done and due to the low level of customer flow, there was a very very relaxed pace

Cons

This was a company that was going downhill fast. Not a very good place to work as far as future aspirations. Uninspiring environment that led to a high turnover rate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sears Call Center - Inbound

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual work environment and Great team environment, Continual training and updating (for no rise in pay), fun monthly activities and free food.

Cons

Low pay as well as a "do as I say and not as I do mentality" from the Upper Management. Last year the center worked hard at locating and getting rid of bedbugs from the call floor and now the bugs are back. Great call center starter job but expect to build your marketable experience and take it to a different company that truly cares for their employees. Sears call center's attrition rate is horrible.

If the employees are supposed to be the biggest asset of the call center, then start by showing GENUINE care and appreciation towards them - False senses of accomplishment by the forms of bogus monthly achievement certificates will not keep good people. A REAL pat of the back and eye contact from upper management would be nicer than pieces of paper.

Sears

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bowie, MD

I worked at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, Great hours, flexible hours,. Managers understanding and willing to help.

Cons

Needed more help. Not enough cashiers during the week.

Hire more cashiers

The people are great, and I enjoy working, but I hate having to sell credit cards.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is better than minimum wage. I love almost all the people I work with. I enjoy ringing up customers and talking to them. Most of the customers are very nice and polite. The managers are all very professional, friendly, and helpful.

Cons

I hate selling credit cards to customers. I honestly feel a little morally conflicted. I don't want them to get another credit card because it looks bad on their credit. If the customer shops there A LOT, then the card would be beneficial, but most of the time I'm wondering if the customer knows how another credit card will look on their credit. I honestly want to help them and I believe selling credit cards to them is not a way to do it. Plus, you have to get a certain amount of credit cards per however many customers you ring up. If you don't get your numbers in, they cut your hours. I don't like how much they stress over making people sign up for credit cards.

Loss Prevention Department

Former Employee - Lp Manager  in  West Washington, ME
    Former Employee - Lp Manager in West Washington, ME

I worked at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ability to work independent of alot of supervision

Cons

Too many legal restraints and quota oriented , not enough help / slim staffing

Ok but not the greatest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

co-workers (some of them), mall setting (some times a good thing), daily atmosphere can be a positive one if you make it that way

Cons

Pay, treatment of employees, not very professional, lots of gossip (even between managers), hours, did I mention pay?

Please consider paying your employees a little more. The bad economy is not a good excuse anymore. And please be respectful of the "little people" too (the ones "below" you)

I like Sears.

Current Employee - Merchandising and Pricing Associate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising and Pricing Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

There us a 10% Associate discount

Cons

Minimum wage, cant afford rent and utility and may be getting food stamps

Streamline processes and focus more on the customers.

Not Too Bad

Current Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant  in  Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some days can be really exciting and busy, while others are incredibly boring. It's a great job if you are detail-oriented, task-oriented and love organizing, color coding, and folding clothes.

Cons

Management has unreasonable expectations. They push numbers, even when there are no customers and expect non-sales positions to have high numbers when its practically impossible. Corporate has no idea of the size of their stores or the target market of their stores. A lot of merchandise never sells and gets sent back to the vendor. Employees lack motivation because they know the store is probably going out of business soon.

Sales goals should be more realistic and more full time positions should be available.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!