Sears

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.5 3,621 reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related (in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights
3,621 Employee Reviews

Its been an okay experience, not the best.

Office Assistant (Current Employee)

Pros20% discount on clothing
    10% on hardware, electronics

ConsThe pay, hours, no benefits, micromanaging.
    Employees are constantly complaining about how unhappy they are.
    The store I'm at is run down and has several problems.
    There isn't enough training for staff.

very nice

Supervisor (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

Prosgreat managment and frendily asssociates

Consu have to be customer oranited

Being profitable

ProsPeople working for this company are awesome. The people, for the most part rank with the quality of the Kenmore and Craftsman brands.

ConsThis company makes everything way more complicated than needed.
    Get to the basics of retailing first, then work on integration as the company strategy.
    The company is being run by some very bright people with a vision for the future. Unfortunately, basic principles of retailing, and operating a profitable business are ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the scorecard, and all the energy devoted to chasing metrics. The ONLY metrics worth chasing are sales and profit. You are choking the stores with expense contol, while spending at will on travel, trips to Vegas, and other corporate perks. Take a lesson from the early days of Wal-mart. It's not too late, (yet)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good opportunity for people just entering or reentering the workforce

Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsFlexible scheduling, extra hours when you want them, ability to make decent money, customers are great and very loyal

ConsCommissions have been cut considerably, unreasonable demands for obtaining customer's private information, use of new technology that drastically decreases ability to provide a great experience for the shopper in a reasonable amount of time, lack of support from management, delivery loses tons of sales but it comes out of salesperson's check and there is no accountability for delivery's mistakes and mistreatment of customers

Advice to Senior ManagementDelivery should be handled by Sears so there is more control, accountability and ability to make necessary changes and improvements in the whole delivery system. We are constantly losing lifelong customers due to delivery issues and the same issues keep reoccurring, nothing is ever done about it

A decent first job at best, it's an ocean out there and you have to be a shark to actually survive.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsYou excel through achieving company goals and you are rewarded with more hours and more choice. You make the money, they kinda help you make some too.

ConsYour success depends on the store location, if the customers are hard to deal with then the mix of competition driven management and commission hungry associates will not brew well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI advise to take into consideration the mentality of the customers being targeted in that area, some of the goals trying to be met are unrealistic with the type of customers that are buying there.

Its alright if you need the money

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Prosthe cowokers are some of the coolest people ive met and worked with

Consmanagement can make idiotic decisions, company is too focused on changes for the sake of change instead of driving sales

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize potential in junior associates and provide advancement opportunities.

Store General Manager

ProsDecent pay but no incentives

ConsChasing too many metric. Work life balance. Micro management.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob security issues you have to work really hard.

Overall a good place to work

Technical Manager (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

Prosrelaxed atmosphere, nice people to work with, employee discount, nice benefits, I have decent salary, not much work on the weekends and not many late nights

ConsNot much training or hope of going beyond the day to day. Low morale and a sense of being in a declining industry. No 401K matching. Small bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementReal training would be very helpful. When I started at SHC there was literally no training at all. I was thrown into my job and expected to go from desk to desk asking for help until I found someone that could tell me how to do the task at hand. Quality management would also be beneficial to the organization - especially when it comes to data and IT

Good company

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsVariety of technologies; flexibility of working houra

ConsBad compensations; poor benefits; bad coordination between different departments

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility with benefits

OBU LIFE

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsRoom for growth if you're willing to put in the work.

ConsNone, its what you make it

Advice to Senior ManagementHire passion and train talent. Stop hiring your friends and family. And holding back hard working professional for no real reasons.980510

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!