Sears

2.4
3,740 Reviews

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 87 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 123 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance; No consideration for anything employee related (in 96 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Its a job

Pros

decent pay if you're good with sales

Cons

Its retail, so expect to work holidays and week ends

A great place to work but........

Former Employee - Consultative Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Consultative Sales Associate

Pros

Other employees are great to work with, some managers in the store are great others have NO CLUE what they are doing but want to tell you how to do your job. If you have a situation with family and need to adjust your schedule they are willing to work with you.

Cons

FAVORITISM in the store is outrageous, some employees get to do what ever they please. Others employees work their tale off for the company and get no recognition, no bump up in pay, and no way for advancement. Certain managers just want more and more from you without letting you have the pay for it. Example is doing what the area manager is suppose to do but when you ask to be his assistant is told no.

If you are to have an employee that is willing to do what ever you need them to do then reward them for it. Don't let them have to leave to be able to make a steady paycheck to support their family. Protection agreements are not always were it is at. Employees are willing to do the work if they are properly rewarded for it.

Not what they used to be but still not bad

Current Employee - Appliance Technician
    Current Employee - Appliance Technician

Pros

Sears is an ok place to work for. As an appliance repair technician we make a fairly competitive salary with other repair companies in the area. We also have access to tools, computers, vehicles, cell phones and other supplies all provided by the company. I do enjoy the freedom that my type of position has to offer without being watched over by management.

Cons

Still very dated about their ideas of how customers operate and think. Most of their customer base are older customers that have been loyal to Sears for years and years. They also focus too much on upselling extra features and products and on customer interaction surveys. They believe that by hounding the customers for answers as to how well they are doing, then they can pat themselves on the back for a job well done. Sears service technicians are expected to carry a fairly heavy work load, especially around holidays. Some of it is understandable, but being expected to complete 9-10 service calls in an 8 hour day is rough. We don't get to go home until we complete those calls, unless someone agrees to reschedule to another day.

RAISES! Sears has not offered cost of living raises to their employees in 3 years! (Let alone raises for good work) Also offer more opportunities from advancement aside from being a tech manager. I have to applaud those guys for doing their job, because they get run into the ground by us technicians and upper management. While I'm on the subject, give the tech managers a break! They work hard and some make even less than us technicians do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Saugus Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Saugus, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saugus, MA

Pros

Nice Cashier and Employee training

Fine Co-Workers along with easy go atmosphere makes work manageable. Nothing is out of the ordinary for a basic cashier job.

Cons

Heavy Focus on getting people to sign up for sears cards.

There needs to be more emphasis on Customer Satisfaction not Credit.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Spokane, WA

Pros

I really love the environment of Sears. I love all of the products it carries and I think the prices are phenomenal! It is a really relaxed environment to work in until it comes to credit cards. The store is really like a big family everybody helps where they can. Good dress code for cashiers. Very good absence policy it is honestly a really fun place to work.

Cons

It is usually really slow during the week, so the hours go on forever and they focus far too much on credit. If you don't get to your goal there is a chance you will loose your job and that's not ok.

Not push credit so much. I was scared of losing my job if I didn't hit plan. And this is a really bad economy it makes it harder.

Changing, but slowly

Current Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Good job security and some potential for advancement, especially in early career level positions.

Cons

Lacking benefits due to financials. Suffering from outdated infrastructure, technologies, and policies. Mid-Level management has a reactive approach. Senior Management has a decent vision but is lacking in execution.

Invest in employees starting with those on the front line. Revision of core company policies and business practices is also long overdue.

Decent entry level job, if you can find your niche.

Current Employee - MCA  in  Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - MCA in Clarksville, IN

Pros

I started in sales because it was the first job that came along that let me plan my own schedule. I'm not really a salesperson, but I stuck with it, and learned alot about tools and yard equipment, and I volunteered for an MCA position. 5 months later they finally switched me. Here I can focus on resetting planograms and making the tool department look nice. All the managers say I'm doing great in this position.. even Loss Prevention went out their way to give me kudos in front of the ASM. I like having flexible hours and I'm building valuable skills for a future job.

Cons

Very disorganized. If you're the kind of person who likes to create order out of chaos, this is a good entry level job for you. Most managers don't know what they're doing, and if you come up with a few sensible solutions to problems, you're golden.

Get your inventory system straight. Salespeople look for certain items for hours because the inventory shows a bunch on hand, but there isn't. Loss Prevention thinks that people at the warehouse fudge the numbers when they ship the merchandise, and there is no way to confirm the individual items that are actually shipped when they arrive in the store. This even affects online orders that customers pick up from the store.

I enjoy working here as the culture is very inclusive

Current Employee - District Trainer
    Current Employee - District Trainer

Pros

the people are very welcoming

Cons

it is a dinosaur and they struggle with new technology

Account running sales force

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

Benefits included, w2 employee not 1099, leads set through call center. Project managers make sure that sales proceed.
    Can be promoted if willing to move.

Cons

Sales expectations keep going up w/o additional support. Prices are often double competition and the value isn't there. Turn and burn sales training.

Cutting costs doesn't work when trying to increase sales numbers.

Sears has good potential, but management is very negative, and procedures don't pertain to this part of the country.

Pros

Training is pretty good. Coworkers are decent. Store is mostly clean. We are usually given freedom to do our job the way we know best. Most of the managers are nice. Products are quality.

Cons

Numbers just don't tell the story. My store is a shrink focused store and I feel like I get dumped on a lot about things that are out of my control. We can only sell what the customers want. Pushing numbers won't change the market in this town. I have only been there 2 months but I can see a lot of problems, and management seems focused on paperwork more than reality. My personal supervisor is very negative, and highly critical even though I know I am doing a very good job. I spend a good part of my day just calming her down.

To the very top management, allow more variation due to local conditions. For example the climate here is very hot we could sell tropical clothing better than snow gear. People in this town are poor and don't have credit or email, so why are we pushing those? Must be a way to address the culture here, since we can't change it. Push positivity, and see that ALL the employees contribute to sales in different ways. Back room crew gets no recognition and they work just as hard. And look at maintenance and cleaning. This store has terrible fire hazards and even Walmart cleans it's bathrooms more than once a day.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!