Sears Reviews

Reset
2.2
Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Better than most retailers when it comes to work life balance (in 98 reviews)

• Great people to work with on a daily basis (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely poor work life balance (in 108 reviews)

• I hate selling credit cards to customers (in 204 reviews)

1. Merchandise/stock

Former Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were very Flexible hours, there was good management communication, the staff and managers were very friendly and I enjoyed my job

Cons

Low pay compared to similar jobs, unorganized hiring process, unorganized payment process, didn't receive payment until I told them they hadn't paid me

Advice to Management

Less online training and more on the job training, each store may work differently so new employees need to learn how things work at their location

2. Sears Backroom

Former Employee - Backroom Team Member in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Backroom Team Member in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

busy but not too busy

Cons

minimum wage, poor management, unsatisfactory training

3. Worst job I've ever had

Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Sears

Pros

There are no pros for this job

Cons

Poor management, unappreciative, lack of incentives, poor pay, EVERYTHING is a con

Advice to Management

If you want associates to sell more credit cards and shop your way, then provide a realistic incentive. $2 a card is not enough, plus an associate has to sell 5 in a month to even receive the $2 per card.

STAY! AWAY!

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very friendly, everyone talks to everyone, there is no age barrier. Got along with about 3/4 of management. The money isn't too bad for a college student, made $8/hr.

Cons

I was told in my interview that they were shying away from the credit cards and was focusing more on their shop your way rewards program (which is basically an email, name, and last name), which I was more than fine with. DO NOT BELIEVE IT. Going into my second week, the store manager would literally CALL ME at my register and ask how many cards I've gotten, saying the other cashiers are already over their numbers, why am I not? Really? They set impossible daily credit card goals and expect you to reach or exceed it while being in a completely dead area of the store (men's and kid's) or in tools where the associates do not want you ringing anything besides bill payments so that they'll get commission which I understand. Also, they do focus on the shop your way program, but they MONITOR how much sign-ups and users you're ringing up. So if a customer is not a member and doesn't want to sign up, this will HURT your score and the upper management that comes around every hour WILL SEE it and chastise you about it.

Advice to Management

Get a new management team. Most are very friendly, but others are lazy and have no people skills. Oh and when you're going to come to my register to return something and for some reason the computer decides to act up and won't let me continue, don't get upset and start bad mouthing me as a cashier when the problem was clearly out of my hands.

Discouraging place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you kiss the managers' asses you can get acknowledged. Otherwise, even hard-working employees go unnoticed. The only real positive I saw was that they are so desperate to hire people that it's easy to get a job there.

Cons

The management at Sears I worked was very "below the line" in the way they managed their employees. Pitching Shop Your Way is a joke and they often played favorites, giving special treatment to the associates who would sit and b.s. with them. Dealing with the annoying customers was exhausting and just the overall "feel" of Sears is negative when you walk in. I would not recommend to work for this company.

7. Good place to work in college, but doesn't pay enough.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Works well around school schedule. Thats about it.

Cons

Not good enough pay. Warehouse gets all the hard work around the store. They expect us to get all this stuff done and don't give us enough hours or manpower to do it all. They don't really give us any raises. I've worked here for two years and had one, and that was the raise everyone got at the same time.

Advice to Management

GIVE US MORE MONEY!! The warehouse works harder than everyone else and should be compensated for it.

Showing 6 of 5,395 reviews