Sears

Updated Feb 19, 2014

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Mostly good people, too much politics

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than a year

Prosmost people are down to earth, the pay is good compared to many other retail companies, a lot of talent in house, good central location in downtown SF

Consmoving up can be a political game making some managers not qualified to manage others, there is not much training provided, no yearly raise, bonuses are very little and happen once in a blue moon, holiday parties are not on par with the size of the company, don't match 401k contribution

ok

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat people to work with. absolutely amazing

Consno growth and promotions are tough to get. systems dont work properly like they should.

Advice to Senior Managementplease promote from within

frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sears full-time for less than a year

Prosmass retailer with hige volume

Consproduct quality & presentation compromised to hit numbers

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too many "promotions" of the people who just happen to be in the right place at the right time

Associate Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTelecommuting allows you to work from home once per week
summer hours give nice break on Friday afternoons

Cons# It seems that positions keep being created to "promote" people even though they are doing the same job. This is unfair to others who are more competent and harder working.

# Also, Senior Management keeps saying we are "revamping" the company for a big comeback......but we are seeing cotinual declines in store traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind money to retain your top performers.
Stop promoting people just because they whine.

Wonderful, best job ever

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sears

Prosopportunity for growth and flexibility with schedule. benefits are excellent and the work enviorment is great. It's a very collaborative environment

ConsI truly have not had a bad experience working here and most of the people I'm working with have been here for over 10 years. There is very little turn over.

Advice to Senior ManagementI honestly don't have feedback for the management at sears. They engage with their workers all the time there really isn't anything I have to say on this matter. Thank you

Given a department to operate, then micromanaged by others who are clueless.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears

Pros- Pay is a comparable level to other companies in industry
-Control over one's own schedule
-Ability to separate work and home life
-Besides the spineless district management most of your coworkers are great people to work with.
-There are many people out there (especially older population) still very loyal to the brand

Cons-Benefits are very weak in comparison to other companies
-Promotions are very unfairly assigned (Sales managers have limitless potential for upward mobility but production managers can only move up 2 position levels if they are fortunate and will ing to travel 50% of their lives away) If a position opens that someone in production would be qualified for, it is probable that the position has been created for someone in another division to shift their unnecessary costs over to your division of Sears, don't bother applying for it.
-Because of the companies good old boy system only people who are "owed" are given promotion with little to no consideration given to whether they can perform the job duties.
-Pay has been cut 20% over the last two years, costs are alwasys saved at the ground floor level first
-Quality is preached but then there are constant initiatives to gut costs by slashing what contractors are paid to perform the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen people perform well in their roles find a way to grow from within instead of bending to pressure from corporate or other divisions to accept their less than qualified throw aways for high level, highly paid positions. Especially since this weill undoubtedly keep you from getting your operating income goals. Be more robust in finding ways to make peoples worklife better, recognize performance publicly, and cut waste when needed instead of continuing to "find' positions for poorly performing salespeople or unneeded production staff. Most positions are being filled with underperforming salespeople as a wellfare program for them. This is undermining morale more deeply than you recognize. Stop cutting quality, find a way to sell at the right prices to pay people appropriately to give the best service possible.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sears CEO Edward S. Lampert . All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees.