Sears

Updated Jan 31, 2014

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert

Edward S. Lampert

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall very satisfying my experiance throughout my career made it enjoyable to show up for work everyday.

Carry In Technical Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPromotions are based for the most part on merit which allowed me to grasp a hold of opportunities along the way

ConsThe company needs to execute better new ideas in the market place and clear out some of the still old ways of thinking which in my opinion is choking the company in the current culture

Advice to Senior ManagementWelcome youth into the decision making process as to help target our younger audience in the retail world after all they are the majority of what roam our retail markets and spend their money in them more so than do older generations who tend to invest and purchase bigger ticket items such as automobiles and real estate.

Don't work for sears

MCA (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Sears part-time for less than a year

ProsCoworkers are really nice and help each other out. It's pretty easy to get a job there. You get to meet a bunch of different people.

Consemployees are overworked and underpaid. Sometimes there aren't enough people working on the floor to get the job done. Supervisors yell at employees for not being able to finish even though there are only two people on the entire floor, besides cashiers

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees or give employees a raise. Turnover wouldn't be as high

Lost Potential

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery strong brand recognition with Kenmore, Craftsman, and Lands End products. Great opportunity to manage and develop large teams. Internal social media communication website is years ahead of other market leaders. High potential for career advancement if you can balance the metrics which are subject to change.

ConsLeadership is not in line with long term growth. Metrics overbearing and for all the wrong reasons. The focus of the company is no longer on people. Customers are no longer valued unless they are rewards members. Company claims to invest in stores yet it's done in a very limited fashion with little support and follow up. Store morale is on a downward slope with the current vision being pressed with accountability yet no feedback/support to go along with it. Company is systematically self destructing by no longer renewing leases to stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you are a retailer first and focus on the customer and the sales experience. Quit making cashiers ask a million questions and forcing employees to ring up items on digital devices. Focus on streamlining the operations and ensuring the company is executing it's core 100% consistently instead of shifting gears every quarter. Change your power ranked scorecard to reflect true profitability and make it the bigger piece of the pie. Align your regional and store teams with a sales/customer service mentality and use the customer feedback from Facebook as a level setter. Have stringent follow up of your third party installers and delivery teams.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissatisfied with Sears

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Prosflexible hours
a few supportive coworkers
a few other things, but I'm more unhappy than happy

ConsWell, we get bad customers everywhere.

Too much pressure to get credit cards (30 minutes telling me how the other cashier is better at getting credit card apps, NOT to pay attention to what the customer is saying or if they seem to be in a hurry, GET CREDIT APPS ANYWAY) I can't, with a conscience, pressure people to get a credit card that I think is useless and deceiving. But management doesn't care. They'll just try to brainwash you into thinking it's a great program.

Poor management

Says they want feedback, but scoff at it

Favoritism (Worship one cashier and pressure other cashiers to be like the favorited)

Advice to Senior ManagementTry focusing more on bringing in people rather than harassing the few that DO come in to get credit cards and continue coming in.

Revamp the place, I hear customers complain all the time about how "the lighting sucks away at their soul" and "this place STILL looks like it was from the 90s"

Pay attention to the "employees vs managers" atmosphere that the managers are creating.

Sears is ok used to be better

Auto Service Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible hours. Oppurtunites for advancement if you show an interest in doing so and work hard.
I like the flexible hours the best.

ConsPay is very substandard for both managers and regular retail employees. Not competitive within the industry. Benefits have gone down since days of old.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better. Since Sears Holdings took over things have gone downhill in both morale and benefits.longterm retention is key.

Downright stressful for a minimum wage job

Photographer/Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros- You learn many job skills such as sales, customer service, and prioritizing conflicting tasks.
- A good way to improve portrait posing.
- Some customers are amazing to have conversations with during the photography and selling process.
- Shifts are rarely boring and often fly by fast.

Cons- For the work, minimum wage is unacceptable. Minimum wage is for jobs that do not require a skill and are single task focused. Photography does require a creative eye and skill.
- Company cuts corners in customer service to save costs, which probably results in lower revenues. The studio is often overbooked and understaffed - resulting in inpatient customers. This also makes customers, especially on the weekend, feel like they are going through a bureaucratic DMV like process, rather than receiving a personal experience. This also increases the stress of the associate on duty coping with all the impatient customers.
- Corporate often messes up the delivery of portraits from the lab to the studio, resulting in understandably frustrated customers. However, they often blame the associate working behind the counter.
- Some parents behave worse than their children as customers. Sometimes they will blame the photographer if they can't control their own children for photos. A photographer can only do so much to get the children to cooperate.
- Many co-workers and managers do not put attending their scheduled shifts a top priority. I was requested to cover someone else's shift often the last minute at least once or twice a week.
- Equipment is old and often faulty. There are frequent computer crashes / malfunctions. Photography equipment is also frequently down.. Corporate is very slow in addressing these issues, even during the holiday season.
- Passport printing paper is often out of stock, resulting in lost sales and frustrated customers.
- Coupons that allow customers to walk out with a free portrait without paying a penny is often abused.
- Many times, due to the customer load especially in the holidays, Associates cannot take any breaks or lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease experience a day as an associate during an overbooked and understaffed weekend day during the Holiday season or when a free coupon is about to expire. You will realize how corners have been cut in providing customers with the best experience. Also, fix the online booking system to allow appointments to be scheduled based on the number of associates. Also, don't give so many free items without a catch away.

Wonderful work place

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros-Fun, interesting management
-Flexible hours
-Nice customer experiences

Cons-Pay is minimum wage, worked there for 2.5 years with no raise
-Locations are old, not up to date
-Seniority to inefficient workers

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who have worked hard and stayed with you with reasonable wage incentives.

Not good,

Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Sears

ProsAmple opportunity to get hours. Able to move to different stores. Discount on store merchandise is nice especially during friends and family.

ConsThe pay is the lowest among all comparable stores,. The opportunity for advancement is very very limited. The overall moral among all employees is deplorable.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to adjust the pay structure and focus on retaining talented employees as to compete with others in the ruthless cut throat world of retail.

Long hours, lots of driving, higher prices, 100% comission, One call close,

Project Consultant (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sears

ProsSears has a good customer reputation. Customers get a good result. High end "best" produts have a good comission. They have a training program. Employees get a discount.

ConsLong hours, no paid holidays or vacations. Lots of meetings, lots of driving in your car. One call close. Comission "discrepencies," are difficult to figure out and get corrected. Little respect for the amount work and sacrifice.

Advice to Senior ManagementDemonstrate actual respect to all employees. If customers acutally valued the whole package of what Sears offers, the way Sears does, there would be more than 1 or 2% call backs.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sears CEO Edward S. Lampert . All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees.