Sears

Sears Reviews in West Des Moines, IA

2.2

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Time flexibility for some positions, which allows to have a good work-life balance (in 98 reviews)

• Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero thought given to work-life balance by management from a district level on up (in 108 reviews)

• Recognition & hours based almost entirely on pushing high interest credit cards (in 204 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Just OK

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Sears full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not bad salary for a call center job. Regular schedule, benefits, very little supervision.

Cons

Extremely corporate, not a lot of room for growth, boring work, not a lot of support for upset customers you can't help, or have called the wrong line. No assigned desks/cubes, so no place that felt like "your space." to be comfortable to do your job.

Make the job more exciting- cross train your employees, give them opportunities for learning, growth and mentoring others. Give them their own cube space.

High Turnover/ Low Morale

Former Employee - Sales and Service Mangae in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Mangae in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Sears full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pro was that is was fairly laid back when it came to dress code. Parking was close and free.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, segregated departments, lack of training. They would roll out a new "Culture" every year so no one really knew what plan we were on.

Sears has a lot of work if they want to keep their people. More pay and a chance to move up in the company,

OK Short term

Current Employee - Team Manager in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good intro to Call Center environment.

Cons

Sears has no real focus and won't be around long. Refusal to collabarate is evident even at the local level where Project Managers look at sharing of information as giving up power. High Turnover of call agents and management. Weak bonus structure.

Liquidate assets and sell the brand to competition.

Mandatory Overtime. Poor Management.

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sears full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Overtime pay, holiday pay

Cons

They are not afraid to make you work 6-8 more hours of mandatory overtime. You can expect to work 46 hours a week at least with no negotiations. Managers are incompetent and nonexistent.

Do not mandate overtime. People will harbor resentment if you do not take in account that they have families and school. The people who want the extra money and hours will pick them up. Have managers who actually know their department.

Great people and Great place to work.

Current Employee - CD TECH in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - CD TECH in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sears full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, good wages, very supportive staff and fair disciplinary action.

Cons

Could be a bit far from where you live to work there, but it is worth the trip.

Keep up the great work! Being a part of a team sometimes means that you, as the manager, have to play a lesser roll and let your team members shine. Most of you do this, it is excellent management. Makes us all feel that we are a part of a growing business. Let's make this year the best customer service year ever!

The people I worked with where great but benefits and management where horrible

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Lots of down time in off season. Fellow colleagues are great to work with. Will sometimes let you read or listen to music when slow. If you don't care about how many hours you work or your pay it is a fun place to work because the people are great.

Cons

Always cutting hours when not busy and moving people to different departments. Out sources alot of the calls and chats which leads to upset customers. I had 6 different managers in 15 months cause the made u move around. Very micromanaged. If the service level is to good for an hour the make people go home. For vacation time u only get a week and you only start earning it after one yeah.

Need better pay, benifits and 40 hours a week. Need to not outsource. Also need opportunities to increase pay and grow with the company. I worked in 6 different jobs in 15 months and only one job had a higher pay rate

Automotive tires & battery sales

Current Employee - Automotive Product Specialist in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Automotive Product Specialist in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sears

Pros

easy to be hired, as long as you pass a minimal background check and drug screen. About the only thing to get you fired is bad attendance & theft. Do your job, don't hassle management and they won't hassle you. Experience is portable, multiple call centers in Des Moines, and across the country. Always a job if you want it.

Cons

very little upward mobility opportunity. They constantly push showing empathy with the customer and customer satisfaction. I reality customer empathy is simply a tool to de-escalate an upset customer. The call center that is pretty much all you get. Its a place where good orders that go bad are told to call. Simply awful at advertising sales and there may be only 3 in a store. A lot of calls are for out of stock items, and delivery that is not timely. Technology, web site, extremely slow, to the point customers tell you how bad it is. Completely shuts down frequently.

When the floor is told something is going to happen, make it happen in a timely manner. Stop the crap of we are working on that, with no definite date. Find a way to provide performance incentive pay and seniority pay. Stop the silly games and contest, it just looks like you are wasting time that you could be on the floor helping us. It lowers moral a lot when the top sales people in a group are paid the same as the lower to non sales achievers and new people just on the floor.

Sears Call Center in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sears

Pros

The Sears call center felt more like a corporate environment than a call center. Employees were empowered to satisfy the customer and employees at the call center associate level were compensated well at $11 an hour for just having a high school degree. That made it easier to be their manager because most wanted to be there.

Cons

The communication between other offices and departments at Sears was poor. It was not very organized to call some of the people we had to deal with and some people had no idea my department existed. I also worked in a new department that had no way of seeing our sales figures and had no goals. Somewhat chaotic, but still able to get the job done.

When launching a new department for the call center, ensure all loose ends are tied up and employees have exact figures and metrics to rate themselves by.