Seattle Aquarium

Updated May 20, 2014
3.9

Robert W. Davidson (Bob)
1 Rating

The Seattle Aquarium is the best place to volunteer!

I worked at Seattle Aquarium

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to interact with the general public and care for animals as a volunteer. Everyone I volunteered with really cared about the animals and education.

Cons

Need to develop more jobs and tasks volunteers so as to keep them motivated during their volunteer hours.

Was a volunteer, really enjoyed working there

Former Employee - Volunteer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Aquarium as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to communicate the importance of conserving the marine environment in your own way and emphasize the things you're most passionate about (within reason, of course)

Cons

Dealing with unruly guests, which almost never happened. I guess the building got cold on occasion but it's Seattle so that's to be expected.

Needs better organizational leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Aquarium full-time

Pros

Great to work around the animals, and in a teaching environment. Can be very fulfilling.

Cons

Internal and external politics result in decision-making processes that move at a mollusk's pace (and we're not talking about a squid here, folks). This isn't all the Aquarium's fault, but it can be very frustrating.

Recognize which staff are making meaningful contributions, and those that aren't, and act accordingly.

Educating and caring for the animals was both socially as well as educationally enjoyable

Current Employee - Volunteer Interpreter and Animal Caretaker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Volunteer Interpreter and Animal Caretaker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Aquarium as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

If you love biology, animals, animal caretaking, social networking, education and conservation, then you'll love the aquarium.

Cons

On busy days it was noisy and you could expect to concentrate less on education and more on protecting the animals from people who either didn't listen to instructions about handling animals or didn't care.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Education Guide in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Education Guide in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Aquarium

Pros

Passionate, environmentally conscious, dynamic place to work. There are so many opportunities to engage and educate the public. And lots of sea life!

Cons

Non-profit, the necessary funding is not always available to get the best job done. The management was in flux when I was there, but I think it has improved since.

More feedback would be even better. Regular and periodic reviews of the classes would be very helpful in improving the experience.

Seattle Aquarium management and organization needs a bit of work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Aquarium

Pros

Educating the public on the aquatic environment of the sound, the environmental health of puget sound and the overall picture of the worlds oceans.

Cons

Communication throughout organisation is extremely poor

Become leaders