Seattle Biomedical Research Institute

26 reviews filtered by
3.6
Alan Aderem

1. Amazing mission, dedicated staff, laid back environment

I have been working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees who work here genuinely care about the mission and science. People leave their egos behind and it's a friendly and open-minded place to work. Work-life balance is strong and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

The nature of scientific funding leads to high turnover. People are constantly coming and going

2. Great and friendly people!

Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission and passionate people to work with. From what I've seen around the office, it seems like a great place.

Cons

Easy commute in downtown Seattle. I didn't work there too long, so I'm not too sure of very many cons.

3. Great group of scientists working together to fight infectious disease.

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The good collaborations amongst scientists.

Cons

The woes of lack of federal grant money to fund research.

5. SBRI is a good institute for gaining lab experience.

Former Employee - Research Technician III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Technician III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    New building and facilities
    Great coworkers

Cons

Low pay and advancement dependent on grant funding

6. Good experience and opportunity to learn as intern

Former Intern - Undergraduate in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Undergraduate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good working ethic in research projects with other researchers. As an intern, I worked very closely with my mentor and he was very nice to explain/teach things to me. Scientists there are generally very nice and friendly. There are a lot of activities going on during the day such as tea party break, cake break, world cup social etc. Lab meetings and seminars are also fun to join.

Cons

Not much for career development unless you have a sure position in the institute.

Great science, good support, poor leadership

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scientist in Seattle, WA

Pros

Excellent science and good opportunities for young researchers. Time off is fair and the company tries to make it at fun environment for the staff (communal lunch areas, coffee, monthly happy hours, holiday/summer parties etc.). Excellent scientific resources.

Cons

The leadership is not great and there has been a bit of an exodus in the recent year. It can be difficult to collaborate within the institute although it is definitely possible. The different departments tend to act like islands rather than be united.

Advice to Management

Stop talking in euphemisms and be honest and real. People feel like they are being BS'd.

Seems to be getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The smart and talented people that work here. A worthy mission. Good work life balance, and an improving culture.

Cons

There was a mass exodus in Q3 of 2014 that really hurt the organization. I believe it was due to internal strife.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in transparency. The changes that have been made seem to be working and I hope that you continue to support and prioritize the scientists without the bickering and rumors that plagued the last couple years.

Neutral Review. Decent workplace with good colleagues, but HR was bad and pay was not great.

Former Employee - Database Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Database Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good colleagues; I liked my team and members of adjacent teams. Decent atmosphere. Open, forthright leadership; top-level leadership would take meetings with lower-level employees and [at least try to] act on requests/observations from those meetings.

Cons

HR team was difficult to deal with (the few times I had to interact with them). Pay was pretty low (probably contributing to atmosphere being less great that it seemed it should have been). Too much mid-level admin at play; while the leadership was positive and open, the admin layers often got in the way of getting things done [efficiently, or at all], even when upper-management wanted it so.

Advice to Management

Streamline mid-level management/admin.

Needs a reboot

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring mission, outstanding scientific and administrative staff, beautiful facility in an exciting business district.

Cons

The non-profit biomedical research sector has been in decline across the board due to federal government funding cuts. But Seattle BioMed has fared worse than most, which points to problems specific to this organization. Recent leadership and strategic changes appear not to have excited donors, supporters, and top scientists, leading to extensive belt-tightening, low morale, and an exodus of talent. Given its outstanding reputation and track record, the Institute is likely to bounce back. But it's hard to imagine this happening without a strategic re-boot and/or leadership change. These processes might be exciting for employees who contribute, but there will be near-term uncertainty and hardship.

Advice to Management

Listen to your markets.

11. Great mission.

I have been working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Great people dedicated and passionate about the work they're doing.
    From what I understand of it, very good science and scientist
    Easy to suggest change and make impact
    Ideas with clearly thought out objectives and goals are heard
    Management is interested in doing the right thing by employees
    Great health benefits and time off package

Cons

On the administrative side, because of the small scale of many departments, there is not always much opportunity for advancement
    Compensation is low compared to for-profit organizations

Seattle Biomedical Research Institute Photos