Seattle Biomedical Research Institute

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
3.1

Alan Aderem

SBRI is a good institute for gaining lab experience.

Former Employee - Research Technician III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Technician III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    New building and facilities
    Great coworkers

Cons

Low pay and advancement dependent on grant funding

Good experience and opportunity to learn as intern

Former Employee - Undergraduate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Undergraduate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good working ethic in research projects with other researchers. As an intern, I worked very closely with my mentor and he was very nice to explain/teach things to me. Scientists there are generally very nice and friendly. There are a lot of activities going on during the day such as tea party break, cake break, world cup social etc. Lab meetings and seminars are also fun to join.

Cons

Not much for career development unless you have a sure position in the institute.

Great science, good support, poor leadership

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent science and good opportunities for young researchers. Time off is fair and the company tries to make it at fun environment for the staff (communal lunch areas, coffee, monthly happy hours, holiday/summer parties etc.). Excellent scientific resources.

Cons

The leadership is not great and there has been a bit of an exodus in the recent year. It can be difficult to collaborate within the institute although it is definitely possible. The different departments tend to act like islands rather than be united.

Stop talking in euphemisms and be honest and real. People feel like they are being BS'd.

Seems to be getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The smart and talented people that work here. A worthy mission. Good work life balance, and an improving culture.

Cons

There was a mass exodus in Q3 of 2014 that really hurt the organization. I believe it was due to internal strife.

Continue investing in transparency. The changes that have been made seem to be working and I hope that you continue to support and prioritize the scientists without the bickering and rumors that plagued the last couple years.

Neutral Review. Decent workplace with good colleagues, but HR was bad and pay was not great.

Former Employee - Database Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Database Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good colleagues; I liked my team and members of adjacent teams. Decent atmosphere. Open, forthright leadership; top-level leadership would take meetings with lower-level employees and [at least try to] act on requests/observations from those meetings.

Cons

HR team was difficult to deal with (the few times I had to interact with them). Pay was pretty low (probably contributing to atmosphere being less great that it seemed it should have been). Too much mid-level admin at play; while the leadership was positive and open, the admin layers often got in the way of getting things done [efficiently, or at all], even when upper-management wanted it so.

Streamline mid-level management/admin.

Needs a reboot

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring mission, outstanding scientific and administrative staff, beautiful facility in an exciting business district.

Cons

The non-profit biomedical research sector has been in decline across the board due to federal government funding cuts. But Seattle BioMed has fared worse than most, which points to problems specific to this organization. Recent leadership and strategic changes appear not to have excited donors, supporters, and top scientists, leading to extensive belt-tightening, low morale, and an exodus of talent. Given its outstanding reputation and track record, the Institute is likely to bounce back. But it's hard to imagine this happening without a strategic re-boot and/or leadership change. These processes might be exciting for employees who contribute, but there will be near-term uncertainty and hardship.

Listen to your markets.

Great mission.

I have been working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Great people dedicated and passionate about the work they're doing.
    From what I understand of it, very good science and scientist
    Easy to suggest change and make impact
    Ideas with clearly thought out objectives and goals are heard
    Management is interested in doing the right thing by employees
    Great health benefits and time off package

Cons

On the administrative side, because of the small scale of many departments, there is not always much opportunity for advancement
    Compensation is low compared to for-profit organizations

No future

Former Employee - Research Technician I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Technician I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team of scientist, very collaborative and supportive. It's a non profit organization with a great mission. They have a lot of scientific seminars

Cons

too much politics, hard to maintain life-work balance, the compensation and benefits are not that great. Inefficient administrative structure.

Pretty good infectious disease research institute you may never have heard of.

I have been working at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Some very good scientists.
    Great employer contribution to 401K.
    Good medical and dental benifits and some other perks like free Orca cards for public trasportation.
    Excellent facilities.

Cons

Strong academic culture is not very conducive to developing vaccines and drugs.
    Inefficient decision making process where everyone has to be involved in all decisions all the time.
    General lack of trust and respect for the admisnistraive side of the institute by the science side.
    Primarily soft money funded science and operations.

Difficult

I worked at Seattle Biomedical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Seattle BioMed has a great mission and many scientists at the Institute are very passionate and fun to work with. There are some great perks - you get a free orca card and the SLU area is a fun location to work.

Cons

Seattle BioMed unfortunately has a large and inefficient administrative structure. There is a lot of focus on capturing full indirect costs. This can negatively impact scientists.

If the Manager wants to hire someone, hire them. Don't waste employee time with interviewing so you can say you are transparent.

Employees talk, discrepancies in pay are noted.

Seattle Biomedical Research Institute Photos