Seattle Children's Museum

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
2.6

Donna Marie Bertrand

I absolutely love my job at the museum!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Children's Museum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for non profits, because I am making REAL change. If you are in the non profit world you know the cons that go along with working for ANY non profit. Senior management has transformed TCM in the last three years. You now walk into a tight knit team that works HARD together and has fun. Mission is at the forefront of almost all staffs mind. Moral and ethical decisions in regards to staffing, finance, and partnership occur here daily! I miss work and the team I work with when I go on vacation. Its a very special place to work and requires hard work, dedication, and loyalty to last here as an employee. It is a non profit, employees that are happy working here, are here for the change they are making and not the pay check they receive!

Cons

It would be nicer to have higher salaries, really everyone says that, no matter where you work. My only con is that I wish we could have more staff to accomplish some of the really cool wishes and dream the museum has, but I am confident that will come in time!

Keep at it! You guys rock!

A Cautionary Tale

I worked at Seattle Children's Museum full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. Kids are fantastic.

Cons

Upper management is unsupportive, unclear in their expectations, openly hostile at times, and very unhappy. I saw 5 people forced out of the company during my employment there. I saw demeaning emails and catty office antics and a lot of disappointed people who just wanted to make a difference. There is no formally trained HR department (!!). This place is not worth the bad pay and disrespect.

Learn about workplace ethics. Swallow some pride. Welcome new ideas from your fantastic staff. Stop office bullying.

Favorite job ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Children's Museum full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I absolutely love the working environment. The management has been nothing but wonderful, they are easy to talk to, and very respectful of all employees.
    It is wonderful working with children and is all in all a fun place to work.

Cons

It's no secret, the museum is a non-profit, so yes, we all work hard and are underpaid for all that we do. If there were a way to be paid a bit more, that would be ideal.

None at the moment!

Needs complete reconstruction of Senior Management - not one valuable member on the senior management staff.

I have been working at Seattle Children's Museum

Pros

The kids smiles when they are enjoying the museum

Cons

no respect from management, treat you like dirt and walk all over you. Want to steal from you.

Treat your employees with respect and listen to their employees instead of only thinking that your view is the only one that matters. Worst management i've ever worked with.

The experience was a nightmare I could not wake up from.

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's Museum

Pros

The Museum itself provides a needed resource for parents and a safe place for children to play, explore and learn.

Cons

Across the hallway from the wonderful exhibits that echo with the sounds of joy and squeals of delight is the administrative office of The Children's Museum, Seattle. Inside that office there is no joy- only pained faces of once passionate employees suffering from poor management and constant disrespect. The turnover in the year that I worked at the Museum was more than 100%. Staff try to fill the gaps and after awhile barely remember what their job was suppose to be when they were hired. There is no where to go for support or change - there is no Human Resources - there is nothing remotely human about the CEO. The CEO has such a bad reputation that the Museum has lost its Community Partners - The Science Center, The Children's Theatre, the other Childrens Museums in WA State and OR. Even the Board of Directors is negligent - ignoring the high turnover and the pleas of those who believe in the mission and want to save the institution before it is too late.

If I thought for a minute that it wouldn't fall on deaf ears then I might offer some. My advice is to the Board - WAKE UP! Do some exit interviews. Listen to the hundreds of people that have written you letters. Look at the poor financial situation. If you don't, families of our community will lose this valuable, wonderful, magical Museum.

A sad state of affairs

Former Employee - Ex-employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Ex-employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's Museum

Pros

The opportunity to contribute to a non-profit organization that is devoted to the development of children through experiential play. Incredibly dedicated staff on the front lines.

Cons

Total lack of leadership from senior management and board. Appallingly high staff turnover, lack of fiscal and management oversight by board, "creative" accounting processes that threaten the future of this treasured Seattle icon. Ineffective training, morale lower than any place I have ever worked, a staff that is driven on by threats and fear rather than led with shared vision, enthusiasm and pride.

To the board: replace the CEO before The Children's Museum, Seattle becomes impossible to save.

New Hires BEWARE! TCM is not the place you want to be if you want respect

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Children's Museum

Pros

To educate the small children in our futures.

Cons

There are so many downsides hopefully I can sum them up in a few sentences. This is the worst and most demeaning place to work. If you think you should get complimented on any good work you have accomplished then dont expect it here. If you think your education and big ideas are going to be heard here then good luck with that. The only ideas come from the CEO and if they aren't hers then don't bother wasting your time. And definitely expect to hear, in front of everyone, how stupid you are and that you don't know what you are doing. My hope is that anyone thinking of working at TCM sees these website reviews and thinks twice about working here. It will never change and the turnover is amazing!

I would suggest they get backbones and stand up for themselves and their employees and stop pretending to be the CEOs friend when she will stab you in the back any second she gets. She is like a dog that turns on its master when its least expected.

TCM What a joke of a place to work!

I have been working at Seattle Children's Museum

Pros

the only good reason to work here is for the children and their future education, the programs are great for learning minds

Cons

The promise of you keeping your job and not getting fired for some ungodly reason is just too much to deal with. The tension in the office is unbearable and the stress of messing up is not worth it.

Senior management is a joke and most dont know how to do their job. Yes I agree with the last post they need training.

Boss is bad for employees and business.

Former Employee - Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's Museum

Pros

The Members and customers. For the Children's sake. Most of the employees are good people with bad training and are expected to perform beyond their capabilities on a daily basis. This is a necessary organization in today's enviornment for children to explore and expand their minds. The exhibits are quality because of the exhibits senior manager.

Cons

The CEO. She is angry and forboding. Always assuming the worst. Loud and mean. Consumed with what people might think of her and acting in only her best interest. Never accepts any insight or opinions. She borders immorality and illegallity in her day to day interactions with employees.

Get out while you can. You are most likely better than her. In the end you too will be writing on this web sight.

High Staff Turnover - not helping the organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's Museum

Pros

The only really good reason to work at the Children's Museum was knowing that you are helping children in either a direct or indirect way.

Cons

It was very hard to complete any long term goals because of regular and very large staff turnovers. One week there would be someone working at their desk and the next a whole department would be in shambles because staff were quitting. Important projects fell through the cracks on a regular basis.

It always seemed like a high stress environment, even for simple tasks there was a lot of red tape. It seemed like a great job for the first month, knowing that you are making a difference, but most people realized after a short time that that sole reason is not worth the lack of good pay and respect.

There needs to be more communication and less passive aggressive actions by Senior Management. I've also seen very aggressive behaviour (employees being shouted at in the middle of the office in front of everyone) which is very unfortunate. I think that the Senior Management should all take management classes to help them successfully work as a team. It's sad that this place offers enjoyment for the public but causes so much distress to employees behind the office doors.