Seattle Children's

Updated November 18, 2014
3.6

Seattle Children's CEO Thomas N. Hansen
Thomas N. Hansen

Pros
  • Great benefits and work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Growth opportunities, excellent benefits (even a free bike (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Clear old boys club in upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Not a lot of opportunities for Growth (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work life balance.

I have been working at Seattle Children's full-time

Pros

Great benefits and work life balance.

Cons

There is not very much room for advancement

Give employees more of a chance to grown in their careers.

Great mission and goals

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Seattle Children's

Pros

The Hospital, Research, and Foundation groups do amazing things with great community support. It is very easy to say I work for Children's. There is growth and learning to be found if you drive it, and stability and security are strong.

Cons

This is a plus and a minus. We are seeing Leadership turnover up to the Executive level. Quite a few Sr. Leaders are retiring or moving on. This type of movement has positive and negative impacts on an organization.

Be prepared for transition. Transition in the market as well as internal transition.

Unfortunately Low Financial, Professional, and Educational Ceilings as a Workplace

Former Employee - Psychology in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Psychology in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Serving the pediatric patient population and their families is a privilege. Most clinicians, providers, and employees are amazing, skilled, dedicated people. I was so proud to serve the patients. Benefits on par with like organizations.

Cons

Lacking leadership at middle-tier-management level, so anticipate drama, potential for negative annual reviews. The culture is becoming increasingly bent towards administration initiatives at the expense of clinical needs. Little movement of management across departments leading to exclusive / unilateral decision making domains where a manager can make or break your career. While they report competitive compensation, it can take a decade to reach the top of your pay scale. For example, a pay scale that starts at $20/hour and tops out at $29/hour reaches $24/hour after 5 years. HR supports management, not employees-- if you're bullied or disagree with your manager you have no recourse. Preaches growth, engagement, career and educational opportunities but the emphasis is on administrative growth, not clinical growth, as well as institutional academic snobbery when allowing access to educational opportunities. A gaping schism between senior management and the worker.

Move your managers around, don't keep a manager in a single department for %+ years; the potential for individual weaknesses in management abilities can destroy an entire department over time. The good people leave.

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Charge Nurse, PICU in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Charge Nurse, PICU in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Since I work there for 25+ years (left in 2007), I was able to see the hospital grow in size and maturity. This is a great place to work! Unfortunately I moved 1500 mile away - too far to commute. Supportive managers and staff. It was a tight-knit family.

Cons

Work-life balance was a minor issue.

Keep doing what you are doing.

The blah blah of the mission it is more about the outside perception

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits particularly if you want an excellent health coverage. Some benefits for transportation.

Cons

Mediocre pay, old boy club. No opportunity for advancement. Too much focusing on appearance so donors think it is a great mission. Waste of money and obsess with CPI, without changing the embedded culture of mediocre managers. They do not listen. It obsess with security constant problems with , making it difficult to work at times. Too many hoops to jump to have things done. Internal bureaucracy entrenched

Come down to experience the jobs and problems. More training and recognition for advancement on merits.

Great benefits but be aware of dysfunctional HR department

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate I I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate I I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are outstanding, better than most any other company that you will work for. Generous PTO, paid in full Orca pass and money back every time you commute by bus, vanpool etc. Who would not want to work there.

Cons

A very dysfunctional HR department who always sides with the manager or supervisor. Even if you are clearly in the right and it is acknowledged (by HR) they will do nothing to support you or help you out of the negative environment. You are basically forced out of your job. I was told I just had to "deal" with it or move on.

Listen to your employees. Encourage their efforts and employ mediation when difficult situations arise.

Great if you are a new grad, but they don't welcome input from previous job experience

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the kids, families and physicians was a great experience. They do a great job of making kids feel like they aren't "stuck in a hospital."

Cons

Nursing colleagues do not work very well as a team. everyone seems to be "out to get" one another. Previous nursing experience was not valued.

orientation was not a great experience to me as i felt the support I received from preceptors was "forced" as though they were burnt out on precepting new hires. New grads survive very well at Children's learning the "SCH" way from the start, however Children's could grow to be an even stronger force if they welcomed small "tips and tricks" from nurses coming from outside institutions. Children's is very behind on many of their policies and equipment used, however does not welcome input that could help with improvement. Most every time I offered a slight update to the way things were being done elsewhere, I was told "well, this is the way we have always done it." Which is a very poor response in healthcare. Things should be changing, growing and improving all the time.

Great Mission, execution leaves something to be desired

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Children's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Who can argue with the idea of providing topnotch healthcare to children? They do this as well or better than anyone.

Cons

Unfortunately this organization is driven by the principles of empire building and CYA like many others. With 200% bi-annual turnover in departmental staff it drags their commitment to excellence on the care side of the house more difficult. Vision is excellent, execution is lacking.

so far so good

I have been working at Seattle Children's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great people who really care about what they do

Cons

limited opportunities for upward mobility

actually support your teams individual goals for personal/professional growth

Exceptional people focused on quality care for patients. Politics, of course, but little to no mean spirited people.

Current Employee - Senior IS Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior IS Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Children's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, excellent benefits (even a free bike!), smart people.

Cons

Salaries lower than at MSFT or other high tech organizations.

Seattle Children's Photos